With a draft class set to provide little contribution in '24, the NY Jets need to turn to the '23 draft class to find success this season

Great post.

I agree that the bigger impact this year will come from the 2023 class.

It’s really just two guys though. Will McD and and Tippmann. Warren’s impact is likely more of a 2025 thing.

I think Corley has a good chance to make an impact this year though. Lazard was terrible last year. So much that the coaching staff had him as a healthy scratch. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

The only place I could see someone from this class really pushing anyone is maybe Corley pushes Lazard for some playing time but I got a feeling Rodgers favorite teammate of all time, will get his head out of his ass and bounce back w/ his boo at the helm.  That said, on paper, Corley possess a skill that Lazard lacks, which could be where the Jets see lift from the '24 class.

The Jets wanted one of the big three WRs, but missed out. They followed that up by trading up a bit to take their favorite for the slot at the top of the third round. It’s now Corley’s job to lose, imho. I agree on Lazard bouncing back but, come training camp, I expect him in the X role while Williams continues his recovery. Corley’s not as tall as Lazard, but probably plays more physically. They’re the same weight. 

And I expect one of those RBs to be Breece’s primary backup this year. 

• Upvote 3

I think chances are you'll see Corley and one of the new RBs get significant time this year.  Other than that, maybe Stiggers if he looks impressive in camp.  Fashanu's time will depend solely on Smith.  So perhaps 4 guys making an impact this year.  With 2023 I can only really see Tippmann and McDonald getting significant roles.  Maybe Izzy or Barnes will surprise and force their way into a spot like that, but I'm not expecting it.  Also keep an eye out for Warren if Moses goes down.  I think he'd get the nod first over Mitchell.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I know all the talk right now is about this class and understood, it's fresh but either way you slice it, even if you disagree it was underwhelming, the truth is this draft class will have a very limited impact on the success of the '24 season.  And while JD went hog wild in FA, we all know that never works out, so temper you expectations for an often injured FA class.  So where do the Jets get a lift?  They'll get the biggest lift this season, from the '23 draft class, who many bemoaned because it wasnt a good enough in a "win now" season, but somehow are comfortable w/ this class but I digress.   Lets look at how the '23 class are going to help the '24 Jets.

The Jets need Will McDonald to have a JJ like offseason and come into this season ready to be a dominant pass rusher.  I'm extremely confident in Will McDonald's ability and think he will live up to expectations, but it's almost a mandatory must happen for this team since it will be replacing not just Jefferson and Huff but also now, JFM.  That is a lot of QB hurries and sacks off this team and while Reddick is obviously a huge add, he's just one dude.  The Jets absolutely need Will McDonald to have a break out season.

The other major factor from that draft who is a Jets fan favorite because he quite possibly has the greatest hairdo of all time, is a man some call Joe, his parents call him Joseph but us die hard Jets fans affectionally know him as, Tippy.  Tippy had a very promising rookie season, after not playing the first 2 games on offense at all, he was basically a permanent starter the rest of the season only missing a few games due to injury.  He did leave week 18 due to an ankle injury, not sure how bad it was/is but the Jets need a healthy Tippy to start the season and to play as many as snaps as possible since the Jets are razor thin at depth in IOL.  Very curious not take some of freaky RAS IOL guys and instead grab 2 RB's when they drafted Izzy last season, but I digress.   Maybe then can go offer to bring back Connor McGovern on a 1 year deal for some depth but either way, the Jets need Tippy to step up big and really help anchor the offensive line.  The Jets have a proud history of talented Centers, here is to hoping Tippy can follow suit!

I know JD is super duper happy w/ his decision to draft 2 RB's because the RB room is super cool now but I have no earthly idea what his line of thinking is when it comes to the RB position.  The RB room, was super duper cool last season w/ Hall, Carter, Izzy and Bam, there was no need for that worthless turd, Dalvin Cook.  Instead of sticking w/ a very solid RB room, he tore it apart, cutting Bam for Cook, trading MC for some stupid reason and then using 2 draft picks on RB's.  Izzy, a home run threat, was an ascending player in college and looking to really find his rhythm.  The one game he got to tot it a bit, he looked fine but what does JD do?  He goes trades all his 4th round picks for a single RB, who say what you will about, is a kid that has been a descending player since his freshman season, over necessary depth at IOL over even help and depth at S.  Taking another one was just bonkers.  I dont know what to make of this situation, but it feels like the Jets need Izzy to be a legit #2 as these rookies find there way in the NFL, especially if the worst case scenario happens and the Jets are w/out Hall for any amount of time.

Carter Warren.  Really impressed toward the end of last season when the line was playing it's best.  I know the Fashanu pick pushes Warren down the depth chart, which is fine but when you sign often injured T's, you need guys who can step in and play w/out concern.  You may think the Fashanu is the greatest pick ever and a 15 year starter in the NFL and that's great!  Good for you!  But there is difference between and hope and knowledge.  We have knowledge that Warren can play in the NFL.  We will find out if that's the case w/ Fashanu.

Barnes, JCB and Kuntz, whatever, cant rely on 6th and 7th round picks for anything so whatever but hopefully the Jets can find some depth w/ these 3.  

IMO the Jets approached this draft like a team that thinks they're really good.  Not sure why but it is what it is but in order for this team to live up to those lofty expectations, they will need key contributions from their '23 draft class.  The only place I could see someone from this class really pushing anyone is maybe Corley pushes Lazard for some playing time but I got a feeling Rodgers favorite teammate of all time, will get his head out of his ass and bounce back w/ his boo at the helm.  That said, on paper, Corley possess a skill that Lazard lacks, which could be where the Jets see lift from the '24 class.  Fun to keep an eye on but what you really need to keep an eye on is how that '23 draft class develops and provides contributions to this team.

You can that about any season and any draft.  I think the thing is they have to fill roster spots so maybe these draftees will contribute.  Who would’ve thought Gipson was going to break one in the first bills game last season?  A few plays like that from these guys is sometimes all it takes to push a team over the top.  The thing I like is they did address some positional holes.  And Douglas seems to have pretty well with the udfa.  We’ll see how it all comes together.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

The other major factor from that draft who is a Jets fan favorite because he quite possibly has the greatest hairdo of all time, is a man some call Joe, his parents call him Joseph but us die hard Jets fans affectionally know him as, Tippy

LMAO!

18 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

I know.  Blame @Joe W. Namath  (I think - forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm like 99% sure it was him).  "Tipp" is such an obviously better nickname.  Tippy sounds like a Nick Jr cartoon character.

You know he's joking around, right?  But if you were really going to argue for a different nickname, why not "Just The Tipp"?

13 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

You know he's joking around, right?  But if you were really going to argue for a different nickname, why not "Just The Tipp"?

Who's joking?  Joe Willy?  I assumed he was 12 years old so no I didn't know he was joking around.

• Haha 3

Wait for the injuries...these draft picks will be playing sooner than you may expect.

Olu should get a ton of reps with Tyron resting for a good portion of camp and during game week prep.  I see the RB's getting a ton of work all pre season...how many carries does Breece really need to be ready.  Personally i would barely play him during the preseason.  Let the rookies and Izzy get the majority of the reps and hits. 

Warren should be soaking in all the knowledge and reps he can get and if we get lucky maybe he can be a starting RT next season.  Hopefully the worst case is hes a solid backup swing tackle for years to come

Mike Williams recovery should allow Corley and Charles/Brownlee a ton of reps during preseason and OTA's.  I still think a vet WR is coming. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

The Jets wanted one of the big three WRs, but missed out. They followed that up by trading up a bit to take their favorite for the slot at the top of the third round. It’s now Corley’s job to lose, imho. I agree on Lazard bouncing back but, come training camp, I expect him in the X role while Williams continues his recovery. Corley’s not as tall as Lazard, but probably plays more physically. They’re the same weight. 

And I expect one of those RBs to be Breece’s primary backup this year. 

Possibly, and probably pretty dependent on Williams availability.  Lazard is like 6'5, 225.  I know Corley put on some weight but he aint that big.  I think where they vary is Lazard is much more of a down field threat, average 13.5 in his career whereas Corley is basically just an extension of the running game w/ 11 ypc and the majority of that on yac.

That said, I was watching Steve Smith rave about him and I love me some Steve Smith, so like I said, that is the draft pick to keep an eye. 

I wish I felt good about the RB picks, but I dont and I wouldnt go into the season depending on a rookie behind Hall. 

“Impactful my ass Dane, he’s not a 4th round WR”

It should come as no surprise then that Dane Brugler of The Athletic named Stiggers the Jets’ Day 3 pick that could surprise in a recent article.

Stiggers has an astounding backstory, but there’s more to him than just his inspiring journey. He also has the tools to develop into an impactful role player. Stiggers (6-0, 205) has 4.4 speed and was the CFL Rookie of the Year last season with 12 passes defended and five interceptions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

You can that about any season and any draft.  I think the thing is they have to fill roster spots so maybe these draftees will contribute.  Who would’ve thought Gipson was going to break one in the first bills game last season?  A few plays like that from these guys is sometimes all it takes to push a team over the top.  The thing I like is they did address some positional holes.  And Douglas seems to have pretty well with the udfa.  We’ll see how it all comes together.

Meh, you could but there are plenty of classes/players who contribute immediately and typically, when you're drafting 10th overall, you get that player ie; Garrett Wilson.  The Jets decision to take a player who wont have an immediate impact or possibly, any impact at all on the season, was strange, when they certainly could have chosen a player who provide more immediate impact. 

• Thumb Down 2

Corley, Fashanu, and Allen will all make a significant impact right away, IMO

It wouldn't shock me to see Fashanu play right tackle, and even if he doesn't, Tyron Smith will miss games next year. 

Corley is immediately the starting slot and go to gadget guy

Allen will immediately get some carries to spell Breece. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Larz said:

This is why since the darnold draft I don’t do deep dives and listen to podcasts and do a million 7 round mocks and fall in love with players and make a wish list, you never know what the team will do. You guys set yourselves up every year for this.  Instant evaluations and instant butt hurt. 

fans have no access to medical reports, analytics, team area scouting reports , team plans for remaining free agents, their own free agents, trades, yet after reading mock drafts of outsiders that also don’t have that information a consensus develops . A consensus of guesses.  

y’all didn’t even know Davis is probably a FB when y’all started bellyaching   

im getting a kick out of the posts about a shift in offensive philosophy? Huh ? Because they brought in a big back that can potentially pass protect better than Izzy ? Huh?

I dunno maybe we just wait and see what happens? 

Rodgers was good value in the 2nd I thought 

Happy overreaction Monday until next year overreaction Monday lol.  

Sir, this isnt an instant evaluation.  It's logic.  And it's about waiting and seeing w/ the '23 class, so you're railing against yourself here, pal. 

Fashanu isnt going to beat out Smith.  He's not going to play G, C or RT.  He's a LT and will play LT.  So, the only time you'll see him is if Smith gets hurt.  This has nothing to do w/ instant anything...it's fact.

Davis is a FB?  **** me, I thought the pick was stupid before. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Corley, Fashanu, and Allen will all make a significant impact right away, IMO

It wouldn't shock me to see Fashanu play right tackle, and even if he doesn't, Tyron Smith will miss games next year. 

Corley is immediately the starting slot and go to gadget guy

Allen will immediately get some carries to spell Breece. 

Last year the Jets had Dalvin Cook, Michael Carter and Izzy as our RB depth.

All 3 are BAD at pass protection.

Carter almost got Mike White killed at Buffalo.

Protecting Rodgers needs to come from not just the OL, but also the TE and RB.

Don’t get me started on our short yardage over the past few years.  Enter Smith, Simpson, Moses, Allen and Davis.  

• Upvote 3

Is Bowers/:Kiran Amegadjie

more impactful than :

Olu/Corley ? 

That’s a tough case to make 

after smith and Moses are gone you are relying on Anegadjie to be a 10 year starter.  Don’t really see that. Bowers is clearly better than Corley but we’re talking about the slot man. 

Olu probably plays 8 games this year between the left and right sides 

Did that kid bowers even test ?

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS

Elite athletic skills -- Made Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List' at number 81. He wrote: "Corley, who arrived at WKU in the summer of COVID-19 at 193 pounds, is up to 220 on his 5-11 frame, looking more like a running back than your typical receiver. He’s hit 23 MPH on the GPS and clocked a 4.43 40-yard dash. His 4.08 shuttle time and 355-pound bench also are excellent."

10 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

Possibly, and probably pretty dependent on Williams availability.  Lazard is like 6'5, 225.  I know Corley put on some weight but he aint that big.  I think where they vary is Lazard is much more of a down field threat, average 13.5 in his career whereas Corley is basically just an extension of the running game w/ 11 ypc and the majority of that on yac.

That said, I was watching Steve Smith rave about him and I love me some Steve Smith, so like I said, that is the draft pick to keep an eye. 

I wish I felt good about the RB picks, but I dont and I wouldnt go into the season depending on a rookie behind Hall. 

Fwiw, I agree with your basic premise, but I came into this year’s draft thinking that way. Only true impact I could see was getting one of the top three WRs. Once they missed on them, the OT was the smart value pick - but not impactful (unless he plays a lot more than we hope). I see Corley providing the same sorta boost to the offense that I would’ve expected out of Bowers, with him being used in much the same way with a lot of short and underneath YAC opportunities and some downfield stuff mixed in. Had they gone Bowers, third round is probably OL and you’re looking at the same sort of day three. 

• Upvote 4

Jets are hosting a home playoff game this year.  I cleared it with the wife already.

Yeah it’s sucks they tried to upgrade the pass protection and but with medication and therapy hopefully you guys can recover 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JustInFudge said:

I know all the talk right now is about this class and understood, it's fresh but either way you slice it, even if you disagree it was underwhelming, the truth is this draft class will have a very limited impact on the success of the '24 season.  And while JD went hog wild in FA, we all know that never works out, so temper you expectations for an often injured FA class.  So where do the Jets get a lift?  They'll get the biggest lift this season, from the '23 draft class, who many bemoaned because it wasnt a good enough in a "win now" season, but somehow are comfortable w/ this class but I digress.   Lets look at how the '23 class are going to help the '24 Jets.

The Jets need Will McDonald to have a JJ like offseason and come into this season ready to be a dominant pass rusher.  I'm extremely confident in Will McDonald's ability and think he will live up to expectations, but it's almost a mandatory must happen for this team since it will be replacing not just Jefferson and Huff but also now, JFM.  That is a lot of QB hurries and sacks off this team and while Reddick is obviously a huge add, he's just one dude.  The Jets absolutely need Will McDonald to have a break out season.

The other major factor from that draft who is a Jets fan favorite because he quite possibly has the greatest hairdo of all time, is a man some call Joe, his parents call him Joseph but us die hard Jets fans affectionally know him as, Tippy.  Tippy had a very promising rookie season, after not playing the first 2 games on offense at all, he was basically a permanent starter the rest of the season only missing a few games due to injury.  He did leave week 18 due to an ankle injury, not sure how bad it was/is but the Jets need a healthy Tippy to start the season and to play as many as snaps as possible since the Jets are razor thin at depth in IOL.  Very curious not take some of freaky RAS IOL guys and instead grab 2 RB's when they drafted Izzy last season, but I digress.   Maybe then can go offer to bring back Connor McGovern on a 1 year deal for some depth but either way, the Jets need Tippy to step up big and really help anchor the offensive line.  The Jets have a proud history of talented Centers, here is to hoping Tippy can follow suit!

I know JD is super duper happy w/ his decision to draft 2 RB's because the RB room is super cool now but I have no earthly idea what his line of thinking is when it comes to the RB position.  The RB room, was super duper cool last season w/ Hall, Carter, Izzy and Bam, there was no need for that worthless turd, Dalvin Cook.  Instead of sticking w/ a very solid RB room, he tore it apart, cutting Bam for Cook, trading MC for some stupid reason and then using 2 draft picks on RB's.  Izzy, a home run threat, was an ascending player in college and looking to really find his rhythm.  The one game he got to tot it a bit, he looked fine but what does JD do?  He goes trades all his 4th round picks for a single RB, who say what you will about, is a kid that has been a descending player since his freshman season, over necessary depth at IOL over even help and depth at S.  Taking another one was just bonkers.  I dont know what to make of this situation, but it feels like the Jets need Izzy to be a legit #2 as these rookies find there way in the NFL, especially if the worst case scenario happens and the Jets are w/out Hall for any amount of time.

Carter Warren.  Really impressed toward the end of last season when the line was playing it's best.  I know the Fashanu pick pushes Warren down the depth chart, which is fine but when you sign often injured T's, you need guys who can step in and play w/out concern.  You may think the Fashanu is the greatest pick ever and a 15 year starter in the NFL and that's great!  Good for you!  But there is difference between and hope and knowledge.  We have knowledge that Warren can play in the NFL.  We will find out if that's the case w/ Fashanu.

Barnes, JCB and Kuntz, whatever, cant rely on 6th and 7th round picks for anything so whatever but hopefully the Jets can find some depth w/ these 3.  

IMO the Jets approached this draft like a team that thinks they're really good.  Not sure why but it is what it is but in order for this team to live up to those lofty expectations, they will need key contributions from their '23 draft class.  The only place I could see someone from this class really pushing anyone is maybe Corley pushes Lazard for some playing time but I got a feeling Rodgers favorite teammate of all time, will get his head out of his ass and bounce back w/ his boo at the helm.  That said, on paper, Corley possess a skill that Lazard lacks, which could be where the Jets see lift from the '24 class.  Fun to keep an eye on but what you really need to keep an eye on is how that '23 draft class develops and provides contributions to this team.

I concur on all accounts. Even tho not the 23 class, I'd throw in Ruckert as well. Time for him to put his big boy pants on and make some fn plays with extra playing time now that Uzomah is gone.

The offseason moves reek of sticking to a plan of run run pass. So I'm not holding my breath. Hoping AR says FU to a few of those playcalls and does his thing.

• Upvote 2