Mitchell to KC

gg

didnt see this posted. should be fun for the opener! ;)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/06/18/bc.fbn.chiefs.mitchell.ap/index.html

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Freddie Mitchell is grateful for a second chance, even if he was Kansas City's second choice.

The controversial wide receiver signed a one-year contract Saturday, a day after the Chiefs disclosed that Az-Zahir Hakim had unexpectedly changed his mind about joining them.

For Mitchell, this could turn out to be a great stroke of luck.

It's a chance to play for one of the NFL's most prolific offenses while restarting a career that had stalled amid controversy and lack of production at Philadelphia.

"I just want to help the team win and hopefully be utilized catching the ball," he said. "So it's going to be good. I'm happy to be here."

The former first-round pick was released last month by the Eagles after falling into disfavor for a series of controversial and inflammatory remarks and publicly feuding with quarterback Donovan McNabb.

"We're very happy to have him here and I think he's happy to be here," coach Dick Vermeil said. "He's in a good frame of mind and his attitude is very good."

Mitchell played in 63 games in four seasons at Philadelphia but never lived up to the expectations of a first-round pick out of UCLA. He had 90 catches for 1,263 yards and five TDs.

But he made unwelcome headlines when he insulted the New England Patriots' secondary before the Super Bowl. He also criticized his teammates for not backing him and blasted McNabb for not throwing to him more.

Finally, he was told not to come to Philadelphia's first mandatory minicamp.

"I told him I did not want him here," coach Andy Reid said at the time.

The problems were widely misunderstood, Mitchell said.

"Me and the quarterback really didn't get along like everybody thought we did," he said. "A lot of stuff that happened under the table that unfortunately we couldn't make to a better situation. I love the team. I love the organization. I could walk in there and play. Me and the quarterback just didn't get along."

Last year, despite not having any standout wide receivers, the Chiefs led the NFL in total offense and finished second to Indianapolis in scoring.

They released wide receiver Johnnie Morton earlier this month and thought that Hakim, who had played for Vermeil in St. Louis, would take his place.

"Az-Hakim is a great receiver. He knows the offense," Mitchell said. "He could come right in, and he's been with Vermeil. All I want to do now is learn this offense. It's very exciting. In this offense, it pretty much opens you up.

"The plays are going to be there for me to make."

Vermeil said Mitchell would begin practicing on Sunday, the last day of minicamp. He'll also stick around next week for extra work with coaches.

"Andy Reid gave him an outstanding recommendation, so we'll give him a shot," Vermeil said. "It will be tough. It will be very competitive. Nothing's guaranteed. All he wants is an opportunity and we'll give him an opportunity."

While working in front of about 15,000 fans who were given a free pass into the stadium Saturday, the Chiefs suffered what could be a damaging injury when cornerback Julian Battle went down with an apparent injury to his Achilles' tendon. Battle just this week had been promoted to the first team, ahead of Eric Warfield.

"We won't know until we take an MRI as to how serious it is," Vermeil said. "Julian hopefully is not injured seriously. But if he is, it's a blow, because he was in the starting position and he was maturing into a good football player. He was doing everything right and working very hard."

So now Week 1 I get to see my boy Fred Ex! Hell yeah! Well, too bad he won't do Sh#t seeing as D-Strait will lock him up. =D>

He wouldn't do sh*t against us if we had Wayne Chrebet pulling a Troy Brown and guarding him.

Archived