Pistol Pete Story

GimmeShelter

Good stuff BP.

I read a story where Walt Frazier ,considered the best defensive guard ever prior to Jordan coming along, said he'd stop Pete by forcing him left. Pete promptly scored 73 on Frazier and Earl Monroe.

It would have been sick to see what he could have done with Bird had he been a Celtic in his prime. They still had moments of brillance but ultimately Pete and Celtic coach Bill Fitch couldn't get along and Pistol retired just before he would have won his first ring.

One more, he was one of my favorite players when basketball was fun to watch.

Nobody can handle the ball or shoot like that anymore.

DkmvEzNUq2I

Great player.

But he is one of the main catalysts for creating the playground style of the NBA that is prevalent today.

The basketball you deem 'un-fun' to watch is a direct result of Pistol's unorthodox --forgive me for saying it -- 'ball hog' style.

Great player.

But he is one of the main catalysts for creating the playground style of the NBA that is prevalent today.

The basketball you deem 'un-fun' to watch is a direct result of Pistol's unorthodox --forgive me for saying it -- 'ball hog' style.

I think thats a misconception...sure his father guided him to be flashy as he wanted him to have the first 1 million dollar contract, but Pete's showmanship was mainly of the passing variety. He actually took less shots per game than Jordan over his career and 1 shot more per game than Jerry West in response to the ball hog reference.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/FGA_season.html

Todays NBA is unwatchable because no-one plays defense except for 2 or 3 teams. Pete in todays game could go the length of the floor unstopped the defenses are so bad.

Great player.

I think the 3 point shot ruined basketball, along with the players never practicing their shooting. the games are low scoring now because the players can't shoot and they pull up on a 3 on 1 break to take a 3 point shot.

Archived