Joba's role?

GimmeShelter

Rotoworld:

Although Hank Steinbrenner has said on multiple occasions this winter that Joba Chamberlain will begin the season in the rotation, he intends to leave the decision up to manager Joe Girardi.

"It's ultimately up to Joe Girardi," Steinbrenner said in a phone interview. "Joe knows how to handle pitchers better than any of us." Josh Johnson, Anibal Sanchez and Ricky Nolasco agree. GM Brian Cashman said it won't be completely up to Girardi. "Joe and I will work it out," Cashman said. "We'll see how it all shakes out."

Source: Newark Star-Ledger

This smells of the 80's Yankees FO chaos.

To be honest, I think he's better suited as the setup man for Mariano, eventually taking over when Mariano is finally done. Although we've been saying this for 5-6 years, Mariano must be on steroids.;)

The Yankees haven't had that lights out setup guy for quite a while. It is a big reason for their playoff failures the last coupld of years.

To be honest, I think he's better suited as the setup man for Mariano, eventually taking over when Mariano is finally done. Although we've been saying this for 5-6 years, Mariano must be on steroids.;)

The Yankees haven't had that lights out setup guy for quite a while. It is a big reason for their playoff failures the last coupld of years.

I think only a innings limit should force him to the pen. He has Tom Seaver stuff and must be started. Closers can be gotten anywhere(Mariano excluded) while a great ACE is very hard to come by.

I think only a innings limit should force him to the pen. He has Tom Seaver stuff and must be started. Closers can be gotten anywhere(Mariano excluded) while a great ACE is very hard to come by.

That's understandable. However, closers cannot be gotten anywhere. Do you honestly think the Yankees would have had all their succes if Joe Boroski was their closer?

It's my understanding that he has 2 + pitches. I'm probably wrong, but if that's true, making him a starter is a big mistake. Also, no one has any idea if he'll turn into a great ace. Chances are, he won't. You're right about one thing though, we won't know if they don't try it.

That's understandable. However, closers cannot be gotten anywhere. Do you honestly think the Yankees would have had all their succes if Joe Boroski was their closer?

It's my understanding that he has 2 + pitches. I'm probably wrong, but if that's true, making him a starter is a big mistake. Also, no one has any idea if he'll turn into a great ace. Chances are, he won't. You're right about one thing though, we won't know if they don't try it.

I believe he has 4 pitches. To me, as long as he pitches well, it doesnt matter where they put him. I would prefer the pen as it solidifies it. You can get decent starters on the market and via trade.

Guys like Boroski and Todd Jones (saves wise) have been just as good as Mariano the past few seasons and have knocked the Mariano Yanks out of the post season because their SP's were superior.

Also, anyone who says starters(top notch) can be acquired via FA or trade is crazy. Look at the contracts given out to bums the past two off seasons along with the price for Santana.

It's a tough question but clearly the lack of a true #1 has hurt the Yanks the past few post seasons much more than the need for a guy to get 3 outs.

Guys like Boroski and Todd Jones (saves wise) have been just as good as Mariano the past few seasons and have knocked the Mariano Yanks out of the post season because their SP's were superior.

Also, anyone who says starters(top notch) can be acquired via FA or trade is crazy. Look at the contracts given out to bums the past two off seasons along with the price for Santana.

It's a tough question but clearly the lack of a true #1 has hurt the Yanks the past few post seasons much more than the need for a guy to get 3 outs.

I thought Wang was a true #1?

It's a tough decision either way, I'm glad I don't have to make it. Either way, if it doesn't work out, there will be some serious second guessing going on by Big Bad Hank (he's everywhere).

I thought Wang was a true #1?

It's a tough decision either way, I'm glad I don't have to make it. Either way, if it doesn't work out, there will be some serious second guessing going on by Big Bad Hank (he's everywhere).

I think Wang is.....unfortunately he has bombed in that role in the post season.

Hank will be a trip this year....that I am sure of.:)

I think Wang is.....unfortunately he has bombed in that role in the post season.

Hank will be a trip this year....that I am sure of.:)

It's going to be alot of fun if the Yankees start off they way they did last year. Hank will go ballistic.

Archived