Anyone Surprised By This?

jetsrule128

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(ignore the team i am just making a point that the event was canceled)

Fresh off its best record in 16 years, the Lamar University women's basketball team received a bid to play in a new postseason tournament called the Women's National Invitational Championship.

The Lady Cards had accepted the bid and were ready to go. But the event was canceled.

"We were covered. The Lamar administration said they were going to fund us," first-year coach Larry Tidwell said. "But the guy who was running it told us they had some trouble with sponsors who didn't come through."

Attempts to reach tournament organizer Michael White were unsuccessful.

The tournament, based in Tampa, Fla., was supposed to include one team from each of the 32 conferences that play Division I women's basketball.

It would have been the third postseason tournament for women's college basketball, behind the 64-team NCAA Tournament and the 48-team Women's NIT.

Had the WNIC played, 144 of the 338 Division I teams would have received postseason berths.

But the WNIC went belly-up.

"Our season is basically officially over," Tidwell said. "We hated to see it end. Certainly we're not satisfied. But realistically we had a really good first season. We'll keep going."

Archived