Future Of The OL

well i hope this ends the talk of using 1st rd picks on the OL for the next few years at least. but of course next year there will be some wanting to use another one on a RT or Guard. cant use 1st rd picks on the whole OL.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We now have a foundation at LT (Olu) and C (Tippy).  Hopefully AVT can stay healthy and play up to his pre-injury level.  If so, so then we'd also have a foundational OG.  If we have those 3 then we'd really only have a need at RT going forward.  I think you can always find yourself a serviceable guard (or kind of "hide" 1 OL if the other 4 are set).  It would be great if Carter Warren works out too.  It's also good that Olu might not have to play right away.  It's good to give an OL a year to learn the position (or even 6 weeks or whatever, until Tyron goes down).

It's so awful when your OL is a complete mess every year.  It ruins the season.  Plus OL is kind of boring to take.  We now have one less spot (and the most critical one, no less) to worry about.

I have no idea but I can’t help but think AVT stays healthy if we keep him inside the damn tackles where he belongs. Ok, maybe I mean hope, but still, you get me? Right? 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, doitny said:

well i hope this ends the talk of using 1st rd picks on the OL for the next few years at least. but of course next year there will be some wanting to use another one on a RT or Guard. cant use 1st rd picks on the whole OL.

Hey, it's a lot smarter than drafting D-line in the 1st round every year.

The path to sustainable winning year over year is having an excellent OL. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, doitny said:

No one should want to use a 1st round pick on an OG.  That's horrible value.  I can't vouch for RT for next year, but it's possible that if Moses stays healthy and is willing to sign a reasonable deal, he could be extended.  Hopefully, AVT will get healthy and stay that way this year. 

In the past one could find quality RTs in the middle and lower rounds, and it wasn't as important as LT, but the game is changing and defenses move their best pass rushers around, so RTs have to be better pass blockers than they were in the past, and LT and RT are becoming more on the same level.  I'm seeing more teams using more high picks on their OLs due to the scarcity of quality OL, and am seeing more that OTs are being expected to be able to play on either side.  Personally, even in this very strong and deep draft for OTs, I don't think that any of the OTs that will be drafted in the 3rd round or later will ever be a quality starter.  They are just too limited athleticially/talent-wise.  Who knows what next year's OT class will look like?  There may only be 2-3 OTs that are potential starters.  If the Jets want a starting-caliber RT out of that draft, they may have to use their #1 pick on one.  Hopefully, they won't.  Hopefully, they can add a topnotch WR prospect in the 1st round, have Moses start again, and draft an OT in the 2nd or 3rd round that has talent/potential, but just needs development and can sit for a year and learn.

It’s a good pick.  It sounded like Douglas was looking at the wrs and tackles and when the top three wrs went then it was going to be a tackle.  I like the fact this guy is from penn state and didn’t declare last year when he could have.  Penn state has turned out some pretty great Jet players over the years.  I get it’s not paternos team anymore but they’ve recovered quite a bit from the Sandusky stench.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, doitny said:

It will for me. Start taking prospects in R4 and lower. Develop them. Start when ready or move on.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, doitny said:

Why not? Steelers just drafted two tackles in back to back years.

22 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

The Steelers get it.

Even the seasons they suck they still usually end up making the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Agreed.  I get it A weapon is skyward more exciting to draft than a OL but this is very important.  Out OL had been horrendous for years and Joe I finally feel we have rebuilt it fir the present and the future

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

It’s a good pick.  It sounded like Douglas was looking at the wrs and tackles and when the top three wrs went then it was going to be a tackle.  I like the fact this guy is from penn state and didn’t declare last year when he could have.  Penn state has turned out some pretty great Jet players over the years.  I get it’s not paternos team anymore but they’ve recovered quite a bit from the Sandusky stench.

He understood that once rome went to chicago the play was OT and then wr today.  The task of getting a tackle today was going to be harder and also the quality more suspect.  Will be interesting to see how far if at all he’s willing to trade up.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

He understood that once rome went to chicago the play was OT and then wr today.  The task of getting a tackle today was going to be harder and also the quality more suspect.  Will be interesting to see how far if at all he’s willing to trade up.

It was a decent trade back.  Picked up a fourth and swapped a sixth for a fifth.  There’s a chance he’ll move into the second round.

14 hours ago, JKlecko said:

No one should want to use a 1st round pick on an OG.  That's horrible value.  I can't vouch for RT for next year, but it's possible that if Moses stays healthy and is willing to sign a reasonable deal, he could be extended.  Hopefully, AVT will get healthy and stay that way this year. 

In the past one could find quality RTs in the middle and lower rounds, and it wasn't as important as LT, but the game is changing and defenses move their best pass rushers around, so RTs have to be better pass blockers than they were in the past, and LT and RT are becoming more on the same level.  I'm seeing more teams using more high picks on their OLs due to the scarcity of quality OL, and am seeing more that OTs are being expected to be able to play on either side.  Personally, even in this very strong and deep draft for OTs, I don't think that any of the OTs that will be drafted in the 3rd round or later will ever be a quality starter.  They are just too limited athleticially/talent-wise.  Who knows what next year's OT class will look like?  There may only be 2-3 OTs that are potential starters.  If the Jets want a starting-caliber RT out of that draft, they may have to use their #1 pick on one.  Hopefully, they won't.  Hopefully, they can add a topnotch WR prospect in the 1st round, have Moses start again, and draft an OT in the 2nd or 3rd round that has talent/potential, but just needs development and can sit for a year and learn.

Dont disagree with this analysis at all but I do think you can find a good RT in picks 40-70 which still allows you to use your first or early second round picks on QB, WR, DE and CB.

I keep seeing how there "arent many OTs left on the board right now" but i disagree.  You have developmental LTs in Patrick Paul and Kiran Amegadjie and solid RT options in Rosengarten and Matt Gonclaves.  Rosengarten in particular is probably a very safe day 1 starter at RT.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

we drafted a OL 3 times in the last 5 years. the Steelers havent drafted a OL in the 1st rd since 2012 until last year.

you cant keep using 1st rd picks on one position 

15 hours ago, JKlecko said:

i did a study in 2022 when i was arguing against using 4 or 10 on another OL when we already used one each on Becton and AVT. i found one team that had 3 drafted 1st rd OL on there roster. i forget who it was. 

yeah people are drafting OL but there not overdoing it. 

3 out of the last 5, draft another one next year its 4 out of 6 years. the other positions are taking a hit.

2022 saved us because we had 3 picks in rd 1 . but now we are like everyone else with 1 pick. need to spread it around.

lets say we draft another on next year and hit on him and AVT stays healthy. are we going to be able to afford giving all 3 a 2nd contract.? no. because you cant allocate that much money on 3 players on the OL. your going to have less money to spend somewhere else.

19 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

We now have a foundation at LT (Olu) and C (Tippy).  Hopefully AVT can stay healthy and play up to his pre-injury level.  If so, so then we'd also have a foundational OG.  If we have those 3 then we'd really only have a need at RT going forward.  I think you can always find yourself a serviceable guard (or kind of "hide" 1 OL if the other 4 are set).  It would be great if Carter Warren works out too.  It's also good that Olu might not have to play right away.  It's good to give an OL a year to learn the position (or even 6 weeks or whatever, until Tyron goes down).

It's so awful when your OL is a complete mess every year.  It ruins the season.  Plus OL is kind of boring to take.  We now have one less spot (and the most critical one, no less) to worry about.

True that. It took Andrew Thomas  2 years to set foot as a premium LT.  Not the easiest position to play. Even Sewell was slow at first when the Lions drated him to play RT.  Big plus is he's only 21 and hasnt played a lot of football and is raw and still learning. Sky is the limit for him.    

• Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, doitny said:

cant use 1st rd picks on the whole OL.

The Cowboys did it.  I think that we will really need to think about drafting another QB next year, and linebacker will be a need, and defensive tackle as well,  unless we resign who we have on these one year deals.  Wide receiver will definitely be a need, unless we are destined to resign Mike Williams.

A lot of possibilities.

21 hours ago, doitny said:

i did a study in 2022 when i was arguing against using 4 or 10 on another OL when we already used one each on Becton and AVT. i found one team that had 3 drafted 1st rd OL on there roster. i forget who it was. 

yeah people are drafting OL but there not overdoing it. 

3 out of the last 5, draft another one next year its 4 out of 6 years. the other positions are taking a hit.

2022 saved us because we had 3 picks in rd 1 . but now we are like everyone else with 1 pick. need to spread it around.

lets say we draft another on next year and hit on him and AVT stays healthy. are we going to be able to afford giving all 3 a 2nd contract.? no. because you cant allocate that much money on 3 players on the OL. your going to have less money to spend somewhere else.

The Steelers drafted an OT in the top 15 last year, then in this draft, they drafted another OT in the 1st round and an OG in round 2.  More and more teams are doing that because of the need for better OL play.  I've always hated that because I remember back when the Jets had Woody and Brick and Mangold, plus a couple of other very good/great OL.  They couldn't afford to pay really good playmakers and had to go cheap.  I don't know how teams make it work, but some are.

Hopefully, the Jets will draft an IOL in the 4th round who can develop into a starter so they won't have to use another early draft pick on OL next year. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

The Steelers drafted an OT in the top 15 last year, then in this draft, they drafted another OT in the 1st round and an OG in round 2.  More and more teams are doing that because of the need for better OL play.  I've always hated that because I remember back when the Jets had Woody and Brick and Mangold, plus a couple of other very good/great OL.  They couldn't afford to pay really playmakers and had to go cheap.  I don't know how teams make it work, but some are.

Hopefully, the Jets will draft an IOL in the 4th round who can develop into a starter so they won't have to use another early draft pick on OL next year. 

OG and C but your point stands.

image.png.a74c0fd73c61f31327626f0482a8d09c.png

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

OG and C but your point stands.

image.png.a74c0fd73c61f31327626f0482a8d09c.png

Fautanu is an OT, not an OG, unless the Steelers have announced that they're going to use him as an OG either initially or permanently.

If AVT stays healthy then yeah you have your core set for a long time.  Also yes, hopefully we don't have to spend another 1st on OL for a while.  Contrary to popular belief you shouldn't need a starting OL of 1st and 2nd rounders.  No reason why Mitchell or Warren can't still be that guy(although I see Warren as a much better fit at LT).  I wouldn't be surprised though if Moses ends up staying here for more than just this next season.

Whether it's Travis or a kid yet to be drafted, this will probably be the best situation we've ever had for a young QB to step into, talent-wise at least.

• Upvote 1

We can talk about the future but the present is Olu taking all of Smith's reps at LT during preseason and practice and Carter Warren/Max Mitchell taking all of Moses reps while he heals from a torn pec. Moses had past Ironman status those days are gone he rotated with Mekari all year 2023

the "starters" probably won't make it over 10 games each. 

The future is now. 

On 4/25/2024 at 11:27 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I think Carter Warren is going to work his way back into this story before all is said and done.

Also, I think Max Mitchell is going to...jk.

• Upvote 1