Graig Nettles is battling cancer

Barton

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03222008/sports/yankees/nettles_battling_cancer_102971.htm

March 22, 2008 -- TAMPA - Cancer has invaded the YankeesNew York Yankees ' family again.

Former third baseman Graig Nettles is facing April 8 prostate surgery at Manhattan's Sloan Kettering Hospital.

"I was diagnosed the day before ThanksgivingThanksgiving-Travel-Getting-Worse ," Nettles told The Post yesterday. "They wanted to do it at the end of January but I wanted to come to [spring training]. They said that was OK because it's slow moving and there was no rush to do it."

A call from his 60-year-old brother Jim with the news that Jim had prostate cancer prompted Nettles to get checked.

"His doctor told him that it ran in the family and sure enough," said Nettles.

Graig Nettles, 63, was a mainstay at third base for the late 1970s and early 1980s Yankees clubs. He spent 10 years in pinstripes, won two Gold Gloves and is a spring training instructor for the Yankees.

Former Yankees outfielder and current YES broadcaster Bobby Murcer was diagnosed with a brain tumor late in 2006 and had a recent scare that didn't turn out to be serious.

although I'm a Mets fan, my favorite player of all-time is Graig Nettles. I was a teenager when he was in his prime with the Yanks, and loved the way he played. Balls out every play. The '78 series was the best defensive series ever played by a player, hands down. He was the reason I wore #9 my whole career in high school, college & minor league ball.

God bless Graig!

Archived