WAIVING HAS GOTAY STEAMING

Lil Bit Special

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04042008/sports/mets/waiving_has_gotay_steaming_104995.htm

April 4, 2008 -- ATLANTA - Add Ruben Gotayt.gif to the list of ex-Metst.gif vowing revenge against their former team.

Ruben Gotay New York Mets

Like Lastings Milledge and Paul Lo Duca earlier this spring, Gotay is angry with the Mets for giving up on him without what he considers a reasonable explanation.

Gotay, who was scooped up by the Braves after being put on waivers by the Mets last week, hopes to take out his frustration on the Amazin's during the three-game series that begins here tonight.

"Yes, I'm mad," Gotay told The Post yesterday. "I never thought they would put me on waivers after what I did last year. I felt I deserved a chance."

Gotay, a 25-year-old backup infielder and switch-hitter who hit a career-high .295 in 98 games with the Mets last year, was let go at the end of spring training in favor of 38-year-old Damion Easleyt.gif.

Damion Easley

Gotay appeared to blame Willie Randolph for that decision based on how he responded when asked about seeing the Mets' manager this weekend.

"I'm not going to go out of my way to talk to him," said Gotay, who had tears in his eyes last week when told he was put on waivers. "I'll talk more to the players than him, because I've always had a pretty good relationship with the players."

The Mets explained their decision to Gotay by telling him they wanted a stronger right-handed bat off the bench. They also felt Easley was a more versatile infielder while viewing Gotay as almost strictly a second baseman.

Gotay also was out of options and didn't help himself by suffering a severe ankle sprain the first week of spring training, an injury that sidelined him for much of the Mets' Grapefruit League schedule.

"This year, we didn't feel he was in the mix - it's as simple as that," Randolph said in his only comments to reporters about the Gotay move.

Gotay, though, isn't buying the Mets' line.

"They know I can play short and third," he said. "You can't make that excuse about me. If they think I can only play second, then that's just an excuse. That's their problem, not mine."

The Braves didn't have the same qualms about Gotay. Because they have concern about second baseman Kelly Johnson's knees, Gotay could be getting playing time soon.

I questioned it too at the time. Gotay was only 25. That's the kind of player you need to offset some of the older roster guys. He came up big last year when the mets needed him to fill in. Give the kid a chance.

I questioned it too at the time. Gotay was only 25. That's the kind of player you need to offset some of the older roster guys. He came up big last year when the mets needed him to fill in. Give the kid a chance.

well.... somebody is going to get cut when Alou comes back... I think the Mets thought Gotay would get through waivers.

I was disappointed with the move, but Omar and Willie must have their reasons...

I hope this doesnt bite us in the ass later on...

Gotay could be a nice player, but we have to get over it. We are probably talking about the 25th guy on the roster. Not a big deal.

When Luis Castillo or Jose Reyes go down, let me know if its a big deal then...

Its a big deal to me because Omar made a terrible decision in putting him on waivers. Is he the key to winning a championship? No. He's a part. Like Endy Chavez.

You never know when that small part makes a huge difference.

I'll get over it when Brady Clark proves to me he is worth more than Ruben Gotay.

well.... somebody is going to get cut when Alou comes back... I think the Mets thought Gotay would get through waivers.

I was disappointed with the move, but Omar and Willie must have their reasons...

I hope this doesnt bite us in the ass later on...

Especially since we play the Braves so often. I think you're right about the waivers.

Archived