Did anybody notice...

#27TheDominator

that Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa State (6-3, 315) dropped to the 6th round? A bunch of guys had him rated very highly as a 3-4 NT. One of the draftniks at JI was gushing over him so bad I thought I'd be ill. Those guys seemed to be buying his hype and had him going up around the 3rd round. He went to Cleaveland at 190 overall.

I guess that with all the DTs changing addresses in the offseason (Jenkins, Rogers, Robertson) there were no glaring needs, but you think a team looking to switch to 3-4 or combo (Rams/Bengals) would want a 2+gap NT or one of the other 3-4 would have liked him for depth sooner. I was looking forward to drafting a late round project to groom for NT, but that kind of went out the window when the re-upped Pouha.

Well Frank Okam, who was a marginal first rounder 4-5 months ago, went in round 5. Red Bryant, late 4th. Dre Moore, late 4th. Pat Sims (who a couple of people here wanted to trade down a little in round 1 and grab him around #15) went mid-3rd. DeMario Presley, round 5.

I think when it's a position we envision ourselves targeting (like Rubin), we're worried that 20+ other teams are targeting that same player & we'd have to grab them at or earlier than their pre-draft projection. Then we don't grab them and they fall 2-4 rounds later than expected.

Josh Barrett dropped like a stone too. He was one of the top SS prospects. Dropped to Denver in the 7th round. A true workout warrior 4.35 at 230-235 pounds. Sure his on field production left something to be desired, but I thought at a minimum he'd be a ST monster. I'd have taken him over our tubby 1 year starter from the Razorbacks, but we needed OLine depth and I don't spend time grading college linemen.

Josh Barrett dropped like a stone too. He was one of the top SS prospects. Dropped to Denver in the 7th round. A true workout warrior 4.35 at 230-235 pounds. Sure his on field production left something to be desired, but I thought at a minimum he'd be a ST monster. I'd have taken him over our tubby 1 year starter from the Razorbacks, but we needed OLine depth and I don't spend time grading college linemen.

Darnell Bing was supposed to be a high day one draft pick. Then he fell in the draft to day two. Then he got cut a year later. Now he's a backup on the Jets for $300K (if he even makes the final '08 roster).

Darnell Bing was supposed to be a high day one draft pick. Then he fell in the draft to day two. Then he got cut a year later. Now he's a backup on the Jets for $300K (if he even makes the final '08 roster).

There is no shortage of crappy players. At the top of the draft, at the bottom of the draft and with the UDFA.

There is no shortage of crappy players. At the top of the draft, at the bottom of the draft and with the UDFA.

Which is why I love it when they trade a 3rd & a 5th for a 3x pro bowler like Kris Jenkins. Those players could turn into Frank Gore & Mark Anderson. Statistically, you're more likely to end up with Anthony Schlegel & Jason Pociask.

Which is why I love it when they trade a 3rd & a 5th for a 3x pro bowler like Kris Jenkins. Those players could turn into Frank Gore & Mark Anderson. Statistically, you're more likely to end up with Anthony Schlegel & Jason Pociask.

I agree, but with a couple of caveats. I think trades should be treated like FA signings. They should be primarily done for positions of need. Guys that have been in the league are harder to fit in and usually have baggage. You'd better have done your homework. Also, 3x pro bowlers also often suck. When football players go bad it usually isn't a gradual decline. Guys have it one year and blow the next. Still like the Jenkins trade though, same as everybody else

Archived