2024 MLB betting thread

For those of you who partake.  @Trotter @Jet9

Obviously won't post here all the time but probably when I have what I think is a good bet and to get opinions.  Totally diff from betting hoops or football.  Much better and so many more options.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

For those of you who partake.  @Trotter @Jet9

Obviously won't post here all the time but probably when I have what I think is a good bet and to get opinions.  Totally diff from betting hoops or football.  Much better and so many more options.

Two games I like tonight both on the runline

rangers over a’s and astros over royals

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

Two games I like tonight both on the runline

rangers over a’s and astros over royals

I have:
Giants ml  -175
Giants -1.5  +124
Rangers -1.5  +105
As/Rngrs  o9  +100 (boost to +125)

For MLB, I actually like doing 2-game parlays.  I only do one at most on any day when I am betting.  

Guardians/Braves ML parlay +118  (ya... vs the Mets..  Houser on the mound)

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

MLB betting is a long , slow, grind.  It has wild ups and downs.  Patience and restraint are necessary.  Advance is incremental, notwithstanding the roller coaster ride it can be and often is.  And you simply have to sometimes have to pick favorites on the ML when the RL is just too risky. It's all about the math to some.

Just now, Dcat said:

MLB betting is a long , slow, grind.  It has wild ups and downs.  Patience and restraint are necessary.  Advance is incremental, notwithstanding the roller coaster ride it can be and often is.  

Not baseball related but who do you like in the Masters?

48 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I have:
Giants ml  -175
Giants -1.5  +124
Rangers -1.5  +105
As/Rngrs  o9  +100 (boost to +125)

For MLB, I actually like doing 2-game parlays.  I only do one at most on any day when I am betting.  

Guardians/Braves ML parlay +118  (ya... vs the Mets..  Houser on the mound)

Hearing some chatter on the radio about Mets turning a corner last night

tgat tells me that prob get smoked tonight and maybe all 3

same pattern as a jet win followed by the bye week and everyone is pumped

we know how those typically end

6 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I have no clue.  This guys are absurdly good and I don't follow to the extent of knowing anything other than thinking I will never be able to do that. 

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Hearing some chatter on the radio about Mets turning a corner last night

tgat tells me that prob get smoked tonight and maybe all 3

same pattern as a jet win followed by the bye week and everyone is pumped

we know how those typically end

Houser is untrustworthy

12 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Im going braves and tempted to adjust the run line to -2.5

I have not yet reached the point in the season when I start working alt lines.  Don't tempt me.  Did one Monday with the huskies!

17 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Im going braves and tempted to adjust the run line to -2.5

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I like this.

I'm seeing +169 for -2.5 and +140 for -2.  I'd lean for the push protection.  It is a long long season.  I tend to be conservative in April.  I'll do it! Alt lines.   Sheesh. 

goddam Jets.  I mean Mets.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Rahm, Wyndham Clark and Scheffler have to be the top 3 choices.
It’s normally a fool’s errand betting a favorite in golf, but the Masters is a unique tournament. It’s actually the weakest field of the 4 majors, and only about 20 players actually have a chance to win.

If you’re looking for a nice payout, take a flyer on someone like Brian Harmon, Zalitoris, Akshay Bhatia or Cameron Smith. Augusta sets up well for LHers like Harmon and Bhatia, Zalitoris can go low, as can Smith

I’ll be placing a few props on some combination of these 4, along with Scottie.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Dcat said:

Is this going to be the season's joy for Mets fans?  Winning money off their losses?  Now watch them win and screw all of us.

They might win but I will go with the chances the braves are still the braves and the Mets go back in their shell

i also see Acuna getting his first hr if the season

going to put that in

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Is this going to be the season's joy for Mets fans?  Winning money off their losses?  Now watch them win and screw all of us.

I don’t know about you, but it’s not like I haven’t been doing it with them and the Jets the past few years. The Knicks recent competence has thrown me off a bit from January through April however.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I don’t know about you, but it’s not like I haven’t been doing it with them and the Jets the past few years. The Knicks recent competence has thrown me off a bit from January through April however.

I just don't bet against Jets.  I've been pretty spot on to the games when they cover.  It's either jets or no bet.  

I don't feel that way about the Mets.  I guess because a single loss here and there makes little difference.  A loss in the NFL can cost you a premier QB or in our case a player like Odunze this year.

51 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I just don't bet against Jets.  I've been pretty spot on to the games when they cover.  It's either jets or no bet.  

I don't feel that way about the Mets.  I guess because a single loss here and there makes little difference.  A loss in the NFL can cost you a premier QB or in our case a player like Odunze this year.

I get what you’re saying but when the Mets go into their “annual” post May swoon, or when you see a trend like the end of the Jets ‘22 season? I’m hopping on board just like I would for any other team.

I figure if I’m going to sit through a collapse, I might as well try to profit from it.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I get what you’re saying but when the Mets go into their “annual” post May swoon, or when you see a trend like the end of the Jets ‘22 season? I’m hopping on board just like I would for any other team.

I figure if I’m going to sit through a collapse, I might as well try to profit from it.

oh... I'm not claiming there is any logic whatsoever to how I bet the 2 differently.  It is what it is.   More emotion w/respect to the goddam Jets.

• Haha 1

I am very disciplined when it comes to taking emotion out of gambling with the exception of the jets

dont know why but I can’t bet against them. I can lay off the game but even if I know they have no shot I simply can’t pull the trigger to go against them

cost me alot of money over the years

22 hours ago, Dcat said:

Mets.  Lost the game but came back to win on the RL.  Utterly useless.

yesterday had 1 win and 4 losses. Make that 5.  This has started off swimmingly.

Haven't looked at todays lines at all.  No late games and I'll be out for a while.  By the time done all but one game will have started.   Yesterday sucked. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

yesterday had 1 win and 4 losses. Make that 5.  This has started off swimmingly.

Haven't looked at todays lines at all.  No late games and I'll be out for a while.  By the time done all but one game will have started.   Yesterday sucked. 

Got smoked in baseball but shamefully cashed out on the braves at 6-0.

something said pull the trigger

caught a bunch of nba so while still down a bit for the night - not as bad as it could have been

goung back to Astro’s and rangers tonight both on the run line

nba is Luca triple double at +230

then I will look at late action

braves run line will be a game time devision

which books are generous on cashing out?  Some are real stingy like almost never and others are as giving as a New Orleans w...

Caesars is a real b**ch and MGM much better.  DK is weird in how the buy out number changes every 2 seconds.

21 minutes ago, Dcat said:

which books are generous on cashing out?  Some are real stingy like almost never and others are as giving as a New Orleans w...

Caesars is a real b**ch and MGM much better.  DK is weird in how the buy out number changes every 2 seconds.

I only use fanduel so can only speak to that

Last night I put 50 on the braves at -2.5 at +172

total payout wax 136. At 6-0 around the 7th inning, the cash out was 126.

no brained for me 

I flipped 100 of that that into the thunder at +300.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Trotter said:

I only use fanduel so can only speak to that

Last night I put 50 on the braves at -2.5 at +172

total payout wax 136. At 6-0 around the 7th inning, the cash out was 126.

no brained for me 

I flipped 100 of that that into the thunder at +300.

Yeah... it sure helps if youre following the game. 

Never forget a Jazz game I had a spread bet on... at the half my side was 17 ahead of where it needed to be and the cash out was literally 2 or 3 bucks from the 150 ish payout.  Grabbed it.  And that team imploded in the second half and lost by over 17.  THat bet woould have been lost by a wide margin.  But if youre not watching (as I woouldn't be for most NBA games, then you lose last night on the Braves and I lose on the Jazz that time.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Dcat said:

Just placed:  SF -1.5 +100  vs nats. 
TB ML -115 > LAA  +  TB -1.5  +140  >LAA

^  Hit on all of the above .  Made up for the day befor.

Thursday is day-game day.  

I have 4 plays:
Brewers ML -120
Brewers -1.5 +135
Rangers -1.5 +110
Mets/Braves u9.5  -105

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I have 4 plays:
Brewers ML -120
Brewers -1.5 +135
Rangers -1.5 +110
Mets/Braves u9.5  -105

I want to take the braves rl thinking the Mets want to get home after hanging out all day yestersay

just not sure so maybe a small bet

7 hours ago, Dcat said:

I have 4 plays:
Brewers ML -120
Brewers -1.5 +135
Rangers -1.5 +110
Mets/Braves u9.5  -105

Brewers/Reds postponed.
Met game had 20 runs...  twenty as in one more than nineteen.  I guess if you're going to lose one, this is better than losing by a hair. 
Texas trailing Oakland 1-0 in 8th so still a chance.  edit: no chance.  Final score 1-0.  A one hitter.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

Brewers/Reds postponed.
Met game had 20 runs...  twenty as in one more than nineteen.  I guess if you're going to lose one, this is better than losing by a hair. 
Texas trailing Oakland 1-0 in 8th so still a chance.  edit: no chance.  Final score 1-0.  A one hitter.

My 3 plays today so far

astros minus 1.5

braves minus 1.5

rangers ml at plus something as a live bet around the 5th inning

off to a flying start so tonight

rangers puck line against flyers

Phillies minus 1.5

knicks + 2

1 hour ago, Trotter said:

My 3 plays today so far

astros minus 1.5

braves minus 1.5

rangers ml at plus something as a live bet around the 5th inning

off to a flying start so tonight

rangers puck line against flyers

Phillies minus 1.5

knicks + 2

Phillies and Knicks out the skids on that.  

11 hours ago, Trotter said:

I hate betting hockey - I really hate betting hockey - yet here I am

When I bet hockey it's usually because I'm following someone who I think knows what they are doing.  Or just on instincts, which should be renamed instinks.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1