Barber absence no worry

jetfuel

Friday, May 16, 2008

Posted on Thu, May. 15, 2008

Barber absence no worry, Jones says

By MAC ENGEL

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

GRAPEVINE -- Although Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is disappointed with running back Marion Barber electing not to work out with the team thus far this off-season, he doesn't feel it will have a negative impact.

Barber has not signed his one-year, $2.562 million tender from the Cowboys, and is hoping for a long-term contract, which the two sides have discussed.

"I don't see that it will have a negative impact in his playing this year," Jones said Wednesday during the Cowboys' annual golf tournament for some of its corporate partners.

Jones did not want to speculate as to whether Barber will participate in the organized team activities, which begin next week. Barber has been working out in Miami (under agent Drew Rosenhaus' directive).

The Cowboys still hope to sign Barber and possibly free safety Ken Hamlin to long-term deals before the start of training camp. The Cowboys report to training camp July 24 in Oxnard, Calif.

Pacman update

Jerry Jones said that suspended defensive back Pacman Jones has been in Dallas since the team traded for him but that Pacman isn't allowed to participate in any function at the team facility. Pacman Jones and Jerry Jones have visited, but the defensive back has not taken a team physical.

The NFL will have to approve whenever Pacman Jones is allowed to work out with the team at the facility.

"I do want him to come in and be a part of the team activities and off-season conditioning," Jerry Jones said. "I understand why he can't. ... He does know what he needs to be doing to prepare himself strength-wise."

Cowboys linebacker DeMarcus Ware is one of the first defensive players to defend the team's decision to sign Pacman.

"I think it's going to be fine," Ware said. "He's been given a second chance, and I think, if you look at our defense, there have been other guys that have been given second chances, and it's worked out."

Roy Williams support

After some of the comments attributed to safety Roy Williams last week about his lack of comfort in the team's 3-4 defense, Jerry Jones came to his defense, again.

"I have a lot of confidence in Roy Williams [and] his competitiveness," Jones said. "We need Roy to be the best player he can be. That is possible here. We have outstanding coaching in the secondary. I don't know a secondary player in the NFL that has a better opportunity.

"When I look at that, I see Roy Williams has a chance for a fine year."

Training camp dates

The Cowboys report to training camp July 24 and begin practice the next day.

They will train at the Residence Inn River Ridge facility, as they did in 2004-06.

The workout fields are next to the hotel.

The Cowboys break camp Aug. 12 and travel to Denver to practice against the Broncos for two days before the teams meet in a preseason game Aug. 16 in Colorado.

Briefly

The Cowboys are not interested in pursuing wide receivers such as Koren Robinson or Chris Henry, according to an NFL source. The team wants either a top receiver, or is prepared to go with what it has.

No one will be inducted into the Ring of Honor in 2008.

The Cowboys plan to travel via train from Oxnard to their preseason game Aug. 9 in San Diego.

The Cowboys signed offensive tackle Cory Lekkerkerker, who played with Miami last season, and guard Adam Stenavich. Stenavich was out of football last season, but was on Green Bay's practice squad in 2006. Staff writer Rick Herrin contributed to this report.

Archived