TE Chris Baker ~ ~ ~

kelly

Home > The Way We Hear It > Whispers

May 24, 2008

~ ~ ~ Even though Jets TE Chris Baker has been a no-show at OTAs as he seeks a renegotiated deal, the team is informing him of all developments in the playbook in order for him to hit the ground running when he does report. There

Home > The Way We Hear It > Whispers

May 24, 2008

~ ~ ~ Even though Jets TE Chris Baker has been a no-show at OTAs as he seeks a renegotiated deal, the team is informing him of all developments in the playbook in order for him to hit the ground running when he does report. There

yeah, this isnt a situation that Baker could benefit from. We have bubba franks that is a more than adaquate TE and the very versatile young TE in Dustin Keller. I wouldnt say that he's easily expendable given that it'll be a good look to have bubba and baker on each side of the line blocking or given a very difficult look for backers figuring out if they are blocking or running routes in a goaline situation. but Dustin could really shine in this situation however. What Baker needs to do is just playout his contract. bust his bump and then explore free agency and get his contract elsewhere. You cant hold out of camp after siging a new contract a year ago....if the Jets cave in to that it'll be stupid and it'll show that they dont have ball in th front office...which will also tell me why we havent gotten rid of penningtons contract.

The Jets won't cave, Baker has no leverage. They may throw him a bone, just to save his pride, but they will not give him a major contract.

Baker isn't under paid, but he is in a jam. He will be 30 when his contract is up. His production won't be what he would like it to be. Clearly the Jets will be throwing a lot of seam routes to Keller, If Franks recovers some of his old form, and stays healthy, Baker will become an after thought. Don't forget Franks is only 30. Health is his issue. The Jets won't release Baker, why should they? He is still a benefit to the team. Even if he is #3, which I think is real possible..

Archived