Will the Islanders bring Yashin back?

Lil Bit Special

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/ny-spyash0615,0,5251217.story

One year ago at this time, the Islanders made the stunning .announcement of their decision to buy out the final four years of controversial captain Alexei Yashin's 10-year contract. Now, Yashin's return on a one-year contract next season is under .discussion, but general manager Garth Snow and owner Charles Wang so far have balked at their former star's asking price.

Agent Marc Gandler, who represents Yashin, said he last spoke with Snow on Thursday when there was no progress .toward an agreement. Snow previously indicated plans to move forward with a youth movement next season, but the Islanders ranked 29th in scoring in the 30-team NHL last season and lack depth at center, leading him to at least consider the possibility of re-signing the 35-year-old Yashin, who spent last season with Yaroslavl Lokomotiv in the Russian Superliga.

"We've had discussions," Gandler told Newsday. "But it's been very slow because I told them in the beginning how much I wanted. They're obviously not happy about that. But clearly, they missed him. They didn't have a first line last season."

The Islanders' leading scorer last season was Mike Comrie with 49 points, the lowest total for the leading scorer of any NHL team. New captain Bill Guerin led the team with 23 goals. Yashin missed much of the 2006-07 season with a knee injury but still totaled 50 points in 58 games, including 18 goals and 32 assists. With Yaroslavl, he scored 16 goals and 27 assists for 43 points in the regular season and added eight goals and six .assists in 16 playoff games to help Lokomotiv reach the finals.

Gandler said Yashin was named the best player of the playoffs and was a first-team all-star while playing left wing. Yashin has an offer to return to Yaroslavl next season, which is why Gandler would like an answer from the Islanders before the NHL free-agent market opens on July 1.

"If we can't get anything soon, we're going to take the offer with Yaroslavl," Gandler said.

An attempt to reach Snow for comment Saturday night was unsuccessful.

In his final season with the .Islanders, Yashin got off to a fast start before suffering a sprained knee near the end of November. He didn't play as well when he returned, prompting coach Ted Nolan to put him on injured .reserve in February. Yashin returned late in the season, but he was demoted to the fourth line during a first-round playoff loss to Buffalo.

Although he had four years worth $26 million remaining on his contract, Snow and Nolan convinced owner Charles Wang, who is close to Yashin, to .approve a buyout worth $17.63 million spread over eight years in equal installments of $2.2 million per season. Gandler declined to reveal his client's .asking price except to say that it doesn't exceed the $4.5 million due Guerin next season as the .Islanders' highest-paid forward.

Asked if his goal is to make up the money Yashin lost in the buyout, Gandler said, "My premise is that he should get what his market value is ... We're only looking for a one-year deal. If I were looking to make up, I'd need a three-year deal, but that is not the point. Now, there is a new year and a new market, and if they want him, this is the price. I can tell you he would do great because he has a lot to prove."

Gandler said he contacted the Islanders about Yashin's .desire to return before the end of the past season, meaning .conversation about Yashin has .extended over the past three months. "I think they're interested, but I'm not sure they're comfortable with the amount," Gandler said.

Although Nolan soured on Yashin, Gandler said Yashin would not mind playing for him again. "I don't think they'll bring him in unless Ted wants the guy," Gandler said. "That does not make any sense for the organization or for Alexei to go there under those circumstances.

"First, it's up to Ted whether he wants him or not, and second, it's up to Charles and Garth whether they want to pay him what we think he should get paid. These are the two things in play."

OH GOD PLEASE NO!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived