August 7th - Jets news (not that there's any to report)

Sperm Edwards

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-2-30/Favre-takes-Jets-from-decent-to-dangerous.html

Favre takes Jets from decent to dangerous icon_report_hi.gif

August 7, 2008 1:43 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

What seemed like an absurd fantasy mere days ago has become reality.

First, the New York Jets convinced Brett Favre they were worth his energy. Then they offered the Green Bay Packers enough to beat out the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and close the deal.

5047.jpg7798.jpgPenningtonClemens

The Jets, inspired by neither Chad Pennington nor Kellen Clemens, acquired the charismatic leader they sorely needed to galvanize a revamped roster and make a run into the playoffs. The cost was believed to be a fourth-round draft pick that increases in value depending on how the Jets perform in the 2008 season. According to the NFL Network, if Favre takes 50 percent of total snaps with the Jets in 2008, the fourth-rounder becomes a third-round pick.

If he gets 70 percent of the snaps and the Jets make the playoffs, it becomes a second-round pick; and if he gets 80 percent of snaps and the Jets make the Super Bowl, it becomes a first-round pick.

And, rest assured, this move makes the rest of the AFC East nervous. Teams knew they could stop Pennington or Clemens.

Favre's presence not only improves the offense; it shapes a franchise-wide mentality that anything is possible.

The Jets' front office had been satisfied with the rest of their roster, especially their upgrades on the offensive line and their defensive front seven. But they were anxious about their most important position. They privately wanted Clemens to seize the job, but he didn't respond. Pennington, a player who openly wondered if the Jets wanted him to lose the competition, was a little better -- and that wasn't acceptable.

The other players felt it. None of the quarterbacks in camp offered credibility in their teammates' eyes. The holdovers watched Pennington and Clemens struggle during a 4-12 season. The big-ticket newcomers -- many of them handpicked for their wisdom -- were leery by what they saw so far in camp.

Jets coach Eric Mangini, on the eve of their preseason opener Thursday night in Cleveland, refused to announce a starter for the game.

Favre, however, would have been an improvement even if Clemens had established any sort of authority.

Favre will turn 39 in October, but he is coming off a sensational season. He completed 66.5 percent of his passes for 4,155 yards and 28 touchdowns with 15 interceptions. He had a 95.7 passer rating, the third-best of his career and his highest since 1996.

Here's a little perspective: Favre last year would have set Jets franchise records for completions and passing yardage and would have been one touchdown short of tying that mark, too.

The Jets are bent on reaching the postseason and becoming relevant again in a market dominated by the New York Yankees and the defending Super Bowl champion New York Giants.

For starters, the Jets brought in perennial Pro Bowl left guard Alan Faneca, right tackle Damien Woody, fullback Tony Richardson and outside linebacker Calvin Pace. They traded two draft picks for run stuffer Kris Jenkins.

Jets owner Woody Johnson ran the risk of throwing away his investments without a quarterback who could bring it all together.

Now, they have that man.

There was a sense of urgency on all sides to strike a deal. The Packers needed to unload the sports world's biggest sideshow and end a storyline that was trumping the Olympics.

The Jets needed to bring in Favre as soon as possible to learn the offense. They made the trade 32 days before they'll open their season Sept. 7 at the Miami Dolphins.

Mangini and his staff believe he can pick up about 50 or 60 percent of the playbook, enough to run a capable game plan. Suffice to say, Favre at 60 percent will elicit grins from Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery.

Favre hasn't worked with Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer or quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll, but he should be familiar with the work of assistant head coach and offensive line coach Bill Callahan.

Callahan was the Oakland Raiders' offensive coordinator under Jon Gruden, who was an offensive assistant with the Packers from 1992 through 1994. Callahan surely will be pivotal in helping Favre assimilate from an offense he knew cold to another one.

An extra benefit of the deal is Favre's likely influence on Clemens, a third-year pro from Oregon who won the job from Pennington last year but performed unconvincingly.

Clemens has the potential but simply isn't ready. A season or two under Favre should do wonders for the kid's development.

Pennington is likely gone. Clemens is 25 and was drafted by the current front office. Pennington is 32 and makes too much money for a player the front office doesn't trust with the job.

Favre gives the Jets a whole lot of what they were lacking. He brings unquestioned leadership, an impeccable resume and a playful swagger his teammates will embrace.

The Jets pulled it off.

If Favre can pull the Jets into the playoffs he will have been worth all the fuss.

newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spbrettjet0807,0,746517.story

Newsday.com

Brett Favre traded to the Jets

BY ERIK BOLAND and BOB GLAUBER

erik.boland@newsday.com,

bob.glauber@newsday.com

1:06 AM EDT, August 7, 2008

GREEN BAY, Wis.

The Jets have pulled off one of the most stunning trades in their history, acquiring Brett Favre from the Packers late Wednesday night. The Jets outbid the Bucs for the 38-year-old Favre, whose arrival means the departure of 32-year-old Chad Pennington.

The story was first reported by FoxSports.com and confirmed by the Jets shortly after midnight.

The Jets were said to have made a better offer than the Bucs earlier in the day. It is believed the Jets traded a fourth-round pick in 2009, although the pick could go as high as second-rounder based on the team's performance.

Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson issued a statement early Thursday.

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," Johnson said. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible product on the field.

"Mike Tannenbaum and his football administration staff did a great job of navigating this complex process. I am excited about welcoming Brett, Deanna and their family to the Jets organization."

The Jets play the Browns Thursday night in Cleveland in their preseason opener.

Both Jets quarterbacks, Pennington and Kellen Clemens, had been asked consistently about the possibility of acquiring Favre. Pennington seemed most perturbed by the situation, though he never outright criticized the organization for pursuing Favre.

"My whole focus is on this camp and winning this starting quarterback battle," Pennington said early in training camp, "so I don't really have any thoughts ... There's nothing to be said. As a player, you never react until it's actually done."

Pennington added that he preferred that the situation be resolved sooner rather than later.

"Our organization looks at every opportunity regardless of the player, regardless of the situation, regardless of who they have here in camp," he said.

"Just as they scout every quarterback coming out of the draft, they look at every quarterback that's on the free-agent wire. Regardless of our quarterback situation, Mike and this organization take the approach that they have to look at everything, so they can say at the end of the day that they've done all of their homework and drawn out all of the things necessary to make the team better.

"Whether it happens or not, that's always a different question and a different story."

Favre left Green Bay Wednesday morning with his wife, Deanna, and his agent, Bus Cook, and returned to Hattiesburg, Miss., after two days of intensive discussions with the Packers about Favre's future. Favre was reinstated to the Packers' roster Monday, and he spent several hours speaking with coach Mike McCarthy, general manager Ted Thompson and team president Mark Murphy about how to reach a compromise. In the end, the Packers felt Favre wasn't fully committed to playing for the team. Favre felt likewise.

"I was asked the question if I was totally committed to the Packers," Favre told the Hattiesburg American after returning Wednesday afternoon.

"I know it's been documented and I posed the same question back to them. I don't think either side could totally commit after all that's happened. Because the bottom line in all of this is playing football. And I've always been committed to my job. I know people say, 'You need to put the personal issues aside.' And I agree, but I couldn't do that."

Cook told the newspaper the Packers didn't want Favre to return.

"Bottom line, he wanted to go back," Cook said. "He was committed to play football. Was he committed to playing with the Packers? He was more committed to playing for the Packers than they were committed to having him. There was zero commitment to having him back. They didn't want him back."

Without a chance to resume his career with Green Bay, Favre expressed a preference to be traded to the Vikings. But he was rebuffed on the request because Minnesota plays in the same division as the Packers. The Bucs and Jets were the only teams that had expressed consistent interest in Favre, who previously downplayed any interest he might have for either team. Favre was said to be more interested in the Bucs than the Jets, but indicated Wednesday he was open to joining either team.

Tampa Bay appeared to be a palatable fit, since the Bucs run a similar offense to the Packers and coach Jon Gruden was a Green Bay assistant early in Favre's career. The Jets had always maintained an interest in Favre, although there had been some concern the team might be used as a pawn to increase Favre's trade value in a deal with Tampa.

In the meantime, Favre had come to terms with not playing again for Green Bay.

"I felt like it was always going to be a distraction," he said. "It's best that they had a clear-cut path that they were going to go on. And if I'm going to play, try to play elsewhere, and see what happens."

Favre said he wanted to get to his new team quickly.

"I'd like to say I feel pretty good, but at the rate I'm going, I don't know what I'll be doing," Favre told the newspaper. "I know Bus made the comment the other day that I may be the starter at Oak Grove [High School, where he works out]."

Copyright

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/08/06/2008-08-06_trade_for_packer_legend_brett_favre_make.html

Trade for Packer legend Brett Favre makes Jets matter again

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 3:21 AM

clip_image001.jpgPhillip/AP

Brett Favre's arrival in New York puts the Jets back on the map.

Brett Favre does not put the Jets into the Super Bowl and Favre does not just show up in a different kind of football green and make the Jets better than the Patriots or the Chargers or even the Colts. He does not make Eric Mangini into a real genius or prove that Mike Tannenbaum, the young general manager, has the game to make the Jets a real contender in their conference or in their sport. What Favre does is make the Jets a team to watch again, and that is enough for now.

Somehow, and against the odds, because these are the Jets, it worked out this way Wednesday night: He's 4 New York.

"I need to get to a camp somewhere," Favre said the other day before leaving Green Bay, this time for good and this time for real.

PHOTO GALLERY: JETS QBs THROUGH THE YEARS

And it was supposed to be the camp of the Bucs, or the Vikings, we were told that Favre really wanted to go to the Vikings, or maybe even the Bears, another team from the Packers' division. The Jets were supposed to be the long shot in all this, the Jets have been a kind of a long shot, in all kinds of ways, since they last made a Super Bowl nearly four decades ago.

PHOTO GALLERY: BRETT FAVRE'S CAREER

The Jets were supposed to be with Brett Favre what they have been with the Giants, and even as a tenant at Giants Stadium since they left Shea: They were supposed to be the Other Team. Like Favre was somehow not just out of their conference but out of their league.

Jets fans were told Favre, at 38, was too old for Woody Johnson and Tannenbaum and Mangini to make a big play for him. Jets fans were fed this line that the Jets were better off for now, and even into the immediate future, because of Kellen Clemens, as if we saw all we needed to see from him last season, or Chad Pennington. There is nothing not to like about Pennington, never has been, even after everything that happened to his arm.

It just isn't Favre's right arm, which belongs to the Jets now.

There was never an issue that the Jets had to go after Favre, that this idea that he didn't fit Mangini's "system" was like some big can of nonsense, that he instantly made them better and made them a real player again, that he made Jets fans as excited about the season that is about to start as fans of the Giants, the defending Super Bowl champion Giants, are.

The issue was getting him. Now the Jets get him. The people in charge are the ones who look like real players now. Who would have thought even a few days ago that the biggest news around baseball's trade deadline, even in a season when the Yankees and Mets are hanging around in their divisions and for a wild card, would come from a football team? From the Other Team. Good for the Jets.

This isn't about the way it all happened in Green Bay, the soap opera that has played out around a proud player and a proud franchise, the blame that can be assessed on both sides. Favre changed his mind about retiring and the Packers, especially in the person of a stubborn general manager named Ted Thompson - one whose first significant draft pick was Aaron Rodgers - really wouldn't change their minds about bringing Favre back, and the whole thing turned into a bigger mess than overtime for the Packers against the Giants.

I saw Packers fans that I know and like to go back and forth on this, one day wanting Favre to go somewhere else or anywhere else, and the next day wanting him back. But maybe as big a Packers fan as I know said last week, "He gave them everything."

He did. He did all of that, hurt or not. There were times over the past five years when he threw the ball around carelessly and recklessly and cost the Packers games and seasons. He flung one up for grabs against the Eagles a few years ago when it seemed he might be making a storybook run to one last Super Bowl.

And even against the Giants last season, when he got an NFC Championship Game at home, got that kind of game at home and in Packers weather, he threw one off his back foot on a day when Eli Manning outplayed him in the cold and Favre got picked off and the rest is history, mostly Giants history.

And maybe the Packers decided they had gone as far with Favre, even with him coming off a season when he threw for more than 4,000 yards again and threw for 28 more touchdowns, that they had gone as far with him as they could, maybe that is why Thompson got as dug in on this as he did with the most famous figure in the history of the franchise outside of the great Lombardi.

So at the end the Packers' fine young coach, Mike McCarthy, talked about the distraction of constantly talking about "somebody who's not here." Favre talked about how going back to Green Bay for a couple of days had been nothing more than a "formality."

"The bottom line in all of this," Favre said before getting on the private jet that was really the beginning of him becoming a New York Jet, "is playing football."

He played it all those years for the Packers, all those consecutive games, the Ripken of football but the Ripken of football in a position where they hit you hard, became as compelling a figure as anybody in his sport. Now he plays for the Jets. If he was going to be a football star somewhere other than Lambeau, even late in the game, it might as well be here. 4 New York.

Jets trade for Brett Favre

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 2:52 AM

Bush/AP

Brett Favre is no beginner when it comes to facing the cameras, but now will find himself playing under the bright lights of Broadway.

The Jets have pulled off their greatest quarterback coup since luring Joe Namath to the AFL when he left Alabama in 1965.

In a stunning upset, the Jets finalized a trade Wednesday night for Packers legend Brett Favre, culminating a two-week courtship that intensified in recent days. Both teams announced the deal after midnight. The move immediately changes the perception of the Jets, who landed one of the most popular players in NFL history.

PHOTO GALLERY: JETS QBs THROUGH THE YEARS

It cost the Jets a conditional fourth-round pick in 2009, but the pick will escalate to a first-rounder if Favre appears in 80% of the plays and the Jets make it to the Super Bowl, according to a league source. The pick could be a second- or third-rounder depending on Favre's playing time and the Jets' performance.

The trade agreement was structured to prevent the Jets from dealing Favre to the Vikings, his No. 1 choice. The Jets would have to give three No. 1 picks to the Packers if they made such a move, a league source confirmed.

PHOTO GALLERY: BRETT FAVRE'S CAREER

The dramatic trade signals the end of Chad Pennington's eight-year run with the Jets. The longtime starter, who was supposed to battle Kellen Clemens this summer for the starting job, will be released Thursday, GM Mike Tannenbaum indicated early Thursday morning. Coach Eric Mangini told Pennington Wednesday night that he will be cut. Clemens will serve as Favre's backup.

"I'm looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," owner Woody Johnson said in a statement. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best product on the field."

The Jets outbid the Bucs for Favre, whom many thought was leaning toward Tampa Bay because of his familiarity with coach Jon Gruden and his offensive system. But on Tuesday night, Tannenbaum and Mangini spoke to Favre by phone and evidently convinced him to accept a trade to the Jets.

"My gut feeling for a long time was this wouldn't come to fruition," Tannenbaum said in an early-morning conference call. "It was a cursory, monitoring situation, and things heated up real quick at the end."

In their conversation with Favre, the Jets spoke extensively of their new free-agent class and an offensive line that includes four former No. 1 picks. They tried to ease Favre's concerns about moving to a big city, emphasizing their new facility in Florham Park, N.J. is close to rural areas. They also told him he'd be the focal point of the marketing campaign for their new stadium, which opens in 2010.

Favre is expected to join the Jets in Cleveland, where they open the preseason tonight against the Browns.

Favre is the NFL's all-time leader in touchdown passes, yards, completions, attempts and victories. He has started 253 straight regular-season games, dating to 1992.

There is some baggage with Favre, though. He's 38 and, until recently, he wasn't sure if he wanted to play anymore. He retired from the Packers in March only to experience a change of heart.

"We're taking things one year at a time," said Tannenbaum, suggesting that Favre didn't give more than a one-year commitment to the Jets.

Favre enjoyed one of his best seasons in 2007, passing for 4,155 yards and 28 touchdowns and leading the Packers to the NFC title game, but he was an interception machine in previous seasons. It'll be interesting to see how he fares in an unfamiliar offense and in Mangini's tightly structured system.

Many league sources said Favre preferred the Bucs over the Jets, but the Bucs apparently didn't step to the plate.

"The Packers want to deliver him to the Jets - somehow, some way - but he prefers the NFC," one source said.

Initially, the Jets weren't thought to be interested in Favre, but they received a call from the Packers on July 25. At that time, they were granted permission to speak directly with Favre, which didn't happen until Tuesday night.

Throughout the process, the Jets maintained a dialogue with his agent, Bus Cook, while discussing trade parameters with the Packers. Things heated up Tuesday, when Favre seemingly abandoned hope of returning to the Packers. After several hours of meetings with Green Bay officials, he apparently came to the conclusion that he had no future with the Packers.

Favre wanted his release or a trade to the Vikings, but the Packers refused to budge on either request, causing the future Hall of Famer to shift his focus to the Jets and Bucs. On Tuesday night, he spoke to both teams, presumably from his home in Green Bay.

The Jets' fascination with Favre intensified, in part, because the Pennington-Clemens competition has fizzled. Showing his inexperience, Clemens has been spotty in practice. Pennington hasn't made nearly as many mistakes, but it's no secret that Mangini has been trying to replace him since 2006.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/08/06/2008-08-06_jets_need_brett_favre_to_deliver.html

Jets need Brett Favre to deliver

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 4:00 AM

The Jets finished an astounding 12 games behind the Patriots in the AFC East last season, so they still have a long way to go to catch the SpyGaters. And while Brett Favre is no Tom Brady, not at this point in their careers, he just closed the gap on New England.

Broadway Brett to the Jets is as stunning and daring a move for this hard luck/no luck organization as the well-conceived plan in 1997 to steal Bill Parcells away from New England. The difference is Parcells was in his prime coaching years back then, and while Favre, who will be 39 in October, is coming off one of his best seasons, he is at the age where his skills can deteriorate quickly.

Parcells changed the culture back then. Favre will do it now.

It was a terrific move for the Jets, one they had to make. It makes them important again in a town where they have never been more entrenched as second-class citizens: The Super Bowl Giants are coming off one of the greatest upsets in NFL history and the Jets are coming off a 4-12 season.

Trading for Favre puts the Jets into an unquestionable win-now mode. They are no longer rebuilding, not with a quarterback his age. His arrival puts enormous pressure on Eric Mangini, even if Woody Johnson assured him in March he will be back in 2009 regardless of the Jets' record this season.

But now Mangini not only has to get Favre ready to start the opener in Miami in exactly one month, he must find a way to make sure he doesn't revert to his out-of-control gunslinger days that no longer work. Favre will either make Mangini's career or expose him as being in way over his head. After one playoff year and one disastrous year, Mangini's head coaching abilities are still a great unknown.

Favre is nearly two years older than Mangini and four years older than offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. They will have to earn Favre's faith and trust. Favre can drive coaches crazy wondering what happened to the game plan when he draws plays up in the dirt and starts flinging the ball all over the field.

Johnson wrote blank checks in the offseason for Mangini and GM Mike Tannenbaum to upgrade the personnel, but there still was no buzz about the Jets. They had gone through the first two weeks of training camp in relative anonymity, except for the Favre rumors.

Mangini and Tannenbaum sold Favre on the Jets, which, considering their history of failure, is not an easy thing to do. The marketing potential for Favre in New York is enormous.

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," Johnson said. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible product on the field.

Johnson is about to unveil his PSL plan and now he can use Favre as the centerpiece of the sales campaign, although it's highly unlikely he will still be playing in 2010 when the new building opens.

Of course, with Favre, you never know.

The immediate benefit is he is a huge upgrade over Chad Pennington, who will be cut today and then perhaps head to a reunion with Herm Edwards in Kansas City, and unproven Kellen Clemens. As long as the Favre who showed up and stunk it up in the NFC title game against the Giants doesn't show up for the Jets, they are in business. That game was likely an aberration because of the frigid conditions.

Favre had a resurgence last year in Green Bay just when it seemed he was about to run out of gas. It was the perfect storm: An improved offensive line, playmakers at wide receiver, a running game with Ryan Grant and a defense that played very well.

He had 28 TDs and 15 INTs and led the Packers to a 13-3 record. He completed 66.5% of his passes. Just one year earlier, he threw 18 TD passes and 18 INTs and completed just 56% and the Packers were 8-8.

Favre bought into Mike McCarthy's low-risk approach and the coach was able to convince Favre he could no longer win with the old gunslinger approach. If the Jets get the Favre of 2007 and if Johnson spent his money wisely in the offseason, Favre could make them a 10-6 wild-card team. If he's run out of gas and his heart is still in Green Bay, it will be ugly.

It won't be an easy adjustment. Favre has no connection with Mangini or Schottenheimer. In 16 years he played for four head coaches in Green Bay, but they all ran Mike Holmgren's version of the West Coast offense. Mangini and Schottenheimer would be wise to fit the offense to what Favre does best rather than try to force him into a system that doesn't work for him. Can they do it? Mangini traded away Jonathan Vilma and Dewayne Robertson, two first-round picks he inherited, because they were not suited for his 3-4 defense.

Favre is one of the all-time greats, a future Hall of Famer. But one general manager I spoke with last night thinks the Jets-Favre marriage should be called off.

"I see a disaster," he said. "I see the Titanic sinking."

Why? "He missed all of camp. He's probably totally out of shape," he said. "I think this is going to be awful. I don't see the hero here. The Jets do not have enough going for them. He is not surrounded by a great team."

But the GM conceded, "If you're talking about buzz and tickets and it being an interesting story, yes. Football, I'm saying no."

Seventeen years after the Jets missed by one spot drafting Favre in 1991, they finally get him. They hope it's not 17years too late. It was a move they had to make.

gmyers@nydailynews.com

General Manager's News Conference

Published: 08-07-08

By Jets PR Department

Regular Contributor

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2332-general-manager-s-news-conference

Transcript of general manager Mike Tannenbaum's conference call with the media after the Jets acquisition of QB Brett Favre:

Opening Statements

Thank you for everyone’s patience and to be available at this rare time. It’s just how things unfolded here. We acquired Brett Favre from Green Bay. He will be a member of the team. I had a quick conversation with Brett. It was a good conversation. We’re excited about it and we’re glad he is on the team. We’ll have more transactions to announce as it affects Chad (Pennington) and Chad’s situation. I’ll have more comments about that tomorrow. We just felt like this was an opportunity for us to go get someone of Brett’s stature and what he’s accomplished. Woody [Johnson], Eric [Mangini] and I felt that it was in the best interest of the team. When the opportunity presented itself, we felt it was the right move for us to make and we went ahead and did it.

On if the Jets are concerned with QB Brett Favre’s commitment to the team…

We had discussions with him (Favre) and his agent Bus Cook. We would like to thank him (Cook) for all of his help. We’re going into this and we’re just going to take things one year at a time. We’re excited to have Brett on the team for this year. We felt like it was an opportunity that presented itself. I was looking back the other day and going back a few years to 1998 — Vinny Testaverde was on the streets for 22 days before we actually signed him. This was just a situation that we were monitoring and then when we felt like there was an opportunity. We thought it was the right thing for us to do, to go after Brett. We felt like he could help us at the quarterback position. We looked at the situation and where we were and what we thought he could do for us. We went ahead and made the trade.

On what the Jets said to Favre to ease his mind on the move to New York…

We’ve had multiple discussions with Brett, his representative, Bus Cook, and his family. Organizationally we talked to him and had a number of conversations. We’re already at the start of training camp and there were obviously some concerns. We had multiple conversations, but we got to a spot where we felt comfortable with things. We talked through the issues and realized that we would be heading into this together. We’re excited that he’s here. It did take a lot of good communication. I really appreciate the effort a lot of people in our building did to help to get this done. I really appreciate Bus and Brett listening and discussing things and just keep talking things through.

On specific concerns Favre may have had on the move to New York…

He’s coming to a new city. He’s been in one system for 16 years. There aren’t a lot of connections with Brett and our coaching staff, but we were able to talk through moving to the northeast and all those other issues. We feel really good about it and we’re excited that he’s with us.

On if this is the end of the era for Chad Pennington…

It’s a bittersweet moment for us. I have not had the opportunity to talk to Chad as of this call. I know Eric has and I just have all the respect in the world for Chad as a person and a player. We have accomplished a lot great things with Chad including winning playoff games, which is very hard to do, and he gave his heart and sole to this organization for a long, long time. I really appreciate everything he has done. Like I said, we will have more to say about that tomorrow just with the way transactions are processed where we have a little bit more work to do with the league before four o’clock tomorrow. We are not completely done with the other things we have to do with the league, but just from a personal and professional standpoint I have all the respect in the world for Chad. Like I said, we will have more to say in a few hours on that.

On confirming Pennington will no longer be with the team…

Yes, unless something unforeseen happens. That looks like where we are going but again I have not had that conversation Chad. Eric has had that conversation, so that’s really where we are.

On if Pennington is involved in a trade…

No, no he is not. I appreciate your (clarification). It’s a separate transaction, but we will have a separate transaction involving Pennington before 4 o’clock tomorrow. We are not quite there yet.

On his exact words taking it one year at a time on the commitment he gave…

Again, I would keep our conversations private on that except to say that we are taking things season-by-season. We are really happy to have him for the season and we will move forward from there.

On the first time he spoke to him directly…

I don’t know exactly but it was pretty recent.

Yesterday…

I am not sure exactly but something like that.

On if there was a presentation made where he had to try and sell Favre on the benefits on trying to come to the Jets…

Well, I wouldn’t say presentation. I think it was just more communication. I did have some conversations with his agent, very minor ones. Again going back to the Vinny Testaverde situation — Testaverde was on the streets for a long time and then it was just a situation that presented itself and in the last 24 hours things changed. I am just fortunate to work with a lot of great and talented people in this building that help put this together and they did a great job. We did have an opportunity to talk to Favre recently and talk through the challenges collectively we would have, and we got to a spot to where we were all comfortable.

On how this has played out through the past days…

I have probably read most of what you have read as well. I am not sure all of it is completely accurate or not, but again we again were monitoring the situation for lack of a better word. When the opportunity presented itself, I just felt like it’s something we had to take a real long look at. My gut feeling, for a long time, I just didn’t think was going to come to fruition. Then it really heated up recently. I just think organizationally the only part of the process we control is preparation and we had a lot of great preparation, so if and when that opportunity presented itself we were ready to roll. When it did, we moved quick.

On if there was a time when you thought the deal was dead…

Really we had a cursory monitoring situation going on for a number of days. Very akin to 1998, it was June of ’98. I remember coach Bill Parcells saying we'll reach out to Mike Azzarelli and don’t tell anybody. I did that and then it went away for a week or two, and then kind of rekindled and we just kind of put an oar in the water. Then things finally just heated up real quick in here at the end, but again it’s because of a lot of great talented people I work with that we were prepared so we could move quickly.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2008/08/06/2008-08-06_deal_spells_the_end_for_chad_pennington.html

Deal spells the end for Chad Pennington

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, August 7th 2008, 4:00 AM

When the Jets' second day of training camp was over, GM Mike Tannenbaum walked over to Chad Pennington on the practice field and told him he had received a call from the Packers regarding the availability of Brett Favre.

For Pennington, that brief conversation with the GM marked the beginning of the end with the Jets.

With Favre heading to the Jets in a stunning trade, the Jets will now release Pennington, a move could come as soon as Thursday. Tannenbaum acknowledged in a conference call early Thursday morning that Pennington's days as a Jet are over and Eric Mangini told the QB of the decision last night.

At 32, with a $6 million base salary in 2008, Pennington no longer fits, especially from a salary-cap standpoint. Kellen Clemens will serve as Favre's backup.

Pennington could wind up in Kansas City, where he'd be reunited with former Jets coach Herm Edwards. Minnesota also could be a fit. The Vikings employ a West Coast offense, Pennington's forte. That they play indoors would suit a quarterback like Pennington, who doesn't have a strong arm.

Pennington told friends yesterday he knew something was up because coach Eric Mangini refused to announce a starter for Thursday's preseason opener in Cleveland. Over the last two weeks, when the Jets' interest in Favre became public, Pennington chafed at the protracted courtship, saying the organization needed to make a decision as soon as possible for all parties involved.

Throughout the two weeks of intense speculation, Pennington maintained a realistic approach. Even when it appeared the Jets were a longshot for Favre, Pennington never felt safe.

"In this business you can never rest, because they'll replace you in a heartbeat," he recently said one day.

Pennington was supposed to battle Clemens for the starting quarterback job, but that competition is over. Pennington had hoped to stay here until the end.

"Absolutely. To me, the best scenario would be to finish my career with the Jets," he told the Daily News last week. "In this league, with so much change, to say you played with one team, it's quite an accomplishment."

Unfortunately for Pennington, he'll never know the feeling.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08072008/sports/jets/this_is_super___and_maybe_super_123343.htm

THIS IS SUPER - AND MAYBE SUPER

By MIKE VACCARO

August 7, 2008 --

BEIJING - Here is how big Brett Favre is: We are 12 hours ahead of you here, and there are thousands of athletes representing dozens of nations and there is swimming on the horizon and basketball around the corner and all kinds of track and all kinds of field looming.

And yet Brett Favre has been the talk of the Games, at least among the English-speaking blokes, the curious from Australia and the bemused from England. On the bus this morning, a reporter from Scotland asked, "Is he really worth all the trouble?"

Well, let's hope so.

Good for the Jets for getting this done, for putting themselves in play, for making themselves relevant again at a time when New York City is more of a Big Blue Giants Playpen than ever before, going back to Huff and Giff and Chuckin' Charley. The Jets? They were more than the other team before this.

They were the Other Team, capital letters.

Threatening to be the OTHER TEAM, all caps.

The championship banner still waves in Jersey, and that's something the Jets are going to have to deal with in their dying hours on Long Island.

But now they have a fighting chance. Now they get a Hall of Fame arm and a larger-than-life personality, and though it will be sad to see Chad Pennington go to Kansas City or wherever, it is a move that puts the Jets in front of the crowded team photo of New York teams again.

Favre alone guarantees them nothing, not coming off 4-12, not with the Patriots still looming like impending doom at the top of the AFC East, not with those 38-year old bones of his. We know all too well the way these things go sometimes in football.

For every Joe Montana, who switched jerseys late in life and wound up leading the Chiefs to the AFC Championship Game, there is a Johnny Unitas, looking positively putrid in his powder-blue Chargers jersey, finding how hard it was to be Johnny U when you spend half the game flat on your back.

Doesn't matter. Favre is a Jet now, and Jets fans will deal in possibilities instead of certainties and be glad to do it.

Finally, all these years later, there is a worthy successor to Joe Namath in style as well as substance. Finally, after a lineage of Richard Todd to Ken O'Brien to Boomer Esiason to Vinny Testaverde to Pennington - all of them fine quarterbacks, all of whom had their moments as Jets - there is another star to fill those white shoes.

Broadway Brett?

We'll see about that. For now, for this season, for next season, the Jets are interesting again. It was the right thing to do, the right thing for this franchise, the highest-profile trigger that the Tannenbaum/Mangini Administration has dared to pull. Will it land them in the Super Bowl? Who ever really knows about that? Would you have picked the Giants to go there last August?

Does it matter? For too long, Jets fans have waited for something this bold, this exciting, this off-the-hook and over-the-top. Good for the Jets. Good for New York. And good for Favre.

He already rescued one sickly-green franchise from the morbid miasma of mediocrity. Can he do it again?

It'll be fun watching him try.

michael.vaccaro@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08072008/sports/jets/favre_joining_up_with_gang_green_123342.htm

FAVRE JOINING UP WITH GANG GREEN

By MARK CANNIZZARO

August 7, 2008 --

CLEVELAND - The Jets, making their boldest personnel move in team history, last night acquired Brett Favre in a blockbuster trade with the Packers.

VACCARO: THIS IS SUPER - AND MAYBE SUPER

SERBY: BROADWAY BRETT HAS GREAT SOUND

GREENBERG: FAVRE TOO LITTLE, FAVRE TOO LATE FOR JETS

It's a move that completely alters the face of the Jets franchise and immediately has a chance to make the 2008 season something special. The move gives the Jets their most iconic player since the days of Joe Namath.

The compensation to the Packers is believed to be a conditional 2009 third or fourth-round draft pick that could become a first- or second-round pick depending on Favre's performance and the team's success.

The acquisition of Favre, who is scheduled to make $12.7 million this season, means the end of the Chad Pennington era.

Pennington, who's due to make $6 million in 2008, is the odd man out as the Jets clear salary cap space, leaving Kellen Clemens as Favre's backup.

Jets' GM Mike Tannenbaum last night confirmed that Pennington will no longer be a Jet by the end of the business day today. Pennington is not part of the compensation to the Packers, but he will be released or traded.

Speaking of Pennington, Tannenbaum called this "a bittersweet moment for us," adding, "We've accomplished a lot of great things with Chad. He gave his heart and soul to this organization and I really appreciate everything he's done."

Making this transaction even more fascinating is how it came together so quickly in the last couple of days.

The Jets didn't even speak to Favre until Tuesday and Tannenbaum even conceded his "gut" feeling was that the deal would never "come to fruition."

"I never thought it was alive," Tannenbaum said. "We had a cursory monitoring situation going on for a number of days. We put an oar in the water and things heated up really quickly."

Interestingly, Tannenbaum said the Jets are taking things with the wishy-washy Favre "one year at a time," indicating that the team has not gotten any commitment from Favre beyond 2008.

"We're going into this just taking things season by season," he said. "We're really happy to have him for this season and we'll move forward from there."

Jets owner Woody Johnson said, "I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform. He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible product on the field."

The Jets' stunning acquisition of Favre makes them matter again on the New York football landscape, where the Giants have always owned the city - particularly now as defending Super Bowl champions.

The Jets spent more than $140 million in the offseason on new talent to bolster a team that went 4-12 in 2007. Among the offseason work the Jets did was revamp the offensive line with the signings of LG Alan Faneca and RT Damien Woody.

Those signings surely were attractive to Favre.

So, too, was a conversation he had with coach Eric Mangini on Tuesday night during which Mangini gave Favre the hard sell on why coming to New York was the move for him to make.

Mangini told Favre of the team's new state-of-the-art practice facility that the Jets will move into in September. He informed him of the attractive rural places to live in New Jersey near the team's Florham Park (N.J.) facility. He, too, emphasized the fact that playing in New York could be a huge marketing and promotional opportunity for him.

The Jets, too, would love to think the addition of Favre will soften the blow to season ticket holders who will have to pay those personal-seat licenses in the new stadium that will open in 2010.

No. 4 jerseys in Jets' green should become a hot item. They already were on sale on the team's Web site as of late last night.

For days, there had been rampant speculation that the Buccaneers would be the landing place for Favre since he knows Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden and because the Bucs use the west-coast offense. But the Jets were more aggressive.

Favre, 39 on Oct. 10, is coming off one of his best seasons in 2007, throwing for 4,155 passing yards, 28 TDs, 15 INTs and career-highs in both completion percentage (66.5 percent) and yards per attempt (7.8).

He led the Packers to a 13-3 record and to the NFC Championship Game, where they were suffered a 23-20 overtime loss to the Giants.

This is a compelling full-circle story since the Jets, back in 1991, were about to draft Favre when the Falcons swooped in and picked him right before the Jets' pick.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08072008/sports/jets/broadway_brett_has_great_sound_123341.htm

BROADWAY BRETT HAS GREAT SOUND

By STEVE SERBY

August 7, 2008 --

YOU won't see him in any fur coat or white shoes, and he won't be wearing a Fu Manchu mustache, or pantyhose, or No. 12.

But Broadway Brett Favre gives the Jets the kind of arm, the kind of presence, the kind of credibility and the kind of hope that Joe Namath gave them 40 long years ago.

He gives the Jets their biggest star since Namath, gives the Jets their best chance to overcome Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, makes them a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

It is way too early for Woody Johnson and GM Mike Tannenbaum to even think about taking a practice ride down the Canyon of Heroes, because these are the Jets, and there never are any guarantees, unless Namath is the one making them.

But by making this blockbuster play for Favre, what the Jets did last night, in no uncertain terms, was shout from here to Foxborough: Game on!

Even after Tannenbaum's $140 million offseason spending spree, no one could dare mention the Jets in the same sentence with the Patriots, Colts or Chargers. Or Super Bowl Giants. Now everyone can.

The valiant Chad Pennington, who goes now, simply didn't have enough arm to get the Jets to a Super Bowl. Kellen Clemens, who stays, didn't have enough experience. The minute Favre shows up he transforms the Jets from a good team to a team that will not be afraid to knock on the door of greatness.

You only get so many shots at a Super Bowl. Bill Parcells sat in the bowels of Mile High Stadium after John Elway shattered his Super Bowl dream in the 1998 AFC Championship Game because he knew he would have to start over in 1999. With a 37-year-old Vinny Testaverde. Who promptly shattered his Achilles - and Parcells' Jets coaching career - on the opening day of that '99 season.

So Woody Johnson and Mike Tannenbaum take their shot, at a time when they would have been buried beneath the shadow of the Giants. At a time when they sure could use the fuzzy, grizzled face of an old gunslinger to take the sting away from PSL High Noon at their next OK Corral.

Favre does not come without questions. He is 38 years old, which means he is a year older than his new coach, Eric Mangini. He has a history of reckless interceptions in the playoffs, including the overtime gift to Corey Webster that sent the Giants to the Super Bowl. He has forever been the biggest fish in the small Green Bay pond. Now he is the biggest fish in the biggest pond. He is a diva who cannot make up his mind and may not play beyond this season.

To hell with all that.

The franchise now has its franchise quarterback.

By beating the Bucs to Favre with the offer of a conditional fourth-round pick that can escalate to a No. 2, Jets management, which did everything but put Donald Trump, Mayor Bloomberg, Bo Dietl and Namath on the phone with Favre Tuesday night, sent a loud and clear message to everyone in and around Weeb Ewbank Hall, and soon Florham Park, N.J., all the way down to the secretaries and water boys. And that message is this: We are Going 4 It, and Going 4 It NOW.

Please indulge all Jets fans who woke up today singing: 4 he's a jolly good fellow.

steve.serby@nypost.com

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08072008/sports/jets/favre_too_little__favre_too_late_for_jet_123340.htm

FAVRE TOO LITTLE, FAVRE TOO LATE FOR JETS

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08062008/sports/jets/wrong_move_for_jets_123328.htm

WRONG MOVE FOR JETS

By JAY GREENBERG

August 7, 2008 --

BRETT Favre's interest in New York has come two touchdowns down, with 45 seconds remaining, too little, already too late.

He is 38 years old. He had no initial interest in playing in New York after, just five months before, calling a press conference to announce that he knew he still could play but just didn't want to anymore. In the midst of an unbecoming stalemate with the Packers, Favre apparently weighed their $25 million offer to retire for a second time. This should sincerely frighten a team wanting to make a commitment to the aging legend (due to make $12.7 million this season), one year after a 4-12 debacle.

The Packers were one ugly and - probably tell-tale - Favre overtime interception away from the Super Bowl in a 23-20 overtime loss to the Giants, a lot closer than were the Jets. It has become obvious that Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson didn't believe Favre, off that second half against the Giants, was any longer capable of finishing the big job. Otherwise, why would the Packers want to turn away the franchise icon, and alienate the fans who worshipped him, to go to the almost totally untested Aaron Rodgers?

If Green Bay, which knows Favre best, has come to the conclusion after all this greatness, that he has become a dead end, shouldn't the Jets have taken the hint?

They have a third-year kid, Kellen Clemens, with a big arm. If his head for the position proves not as promising as the arm, then it should have been back to Chad Pennington and the draft board in April for another quarterback of the future.

The Jets spent $141 million on two badly needed veteran offensive linemen and some guys who can play the defense Mangini believes in. If Pennington could win 10 games, including one over Favre 38-10 in Green Bay, with that motley Jets crew of 2006, he could have done it again this year with two healthy ankles and four games with Buffalo and Miami.

He was not likely to add significant mph to his throwing arm at age 32, not after two shoulder surgeries. But at least Pennington is not 38, and coming in broken-hearted after being turned away from the place he could no wrong. Favre has less than a month to learn a new offense, while nursing a twisted arm suffered while condescending to come to New York.

Clemens is 25, and if the Jets really want to do more than just piece together a few decent years, he should have been given a better look. Eight starts and a 60.7 passer rating last season only scared the Jets into keeping Pennington, because they know they could do a lot worse.

We're just not convinced they are doing better.

It's not that the cost of a conditional draft choice is unreasonable. It's where are the Jets in two years? There was arm enough left in Favre last year to win 13 games, and a playoff contest. But after all he has been through, all he has put himself through, does he have enough heart left for the game to make this more than just a late, wild, swing by the Jets for some attention?

jay.greenberg@nypost.com

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2331-do-qb-lieve-it-brett-favre-is-a-jet

DO QB-LIEVE IT? BRETT FAVRE IS A JET

Published: 08-07-08

By Randy Lange

Editor-in-Chief

Article Permalink: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2331-do-qb-lieve-it-brett-favre-is-a-jet

Brett Favre this morning is a New York Jet.

Favre, the Green Bay icon and future Pro Football Hall of Famer who retired, then unretired, then found out the Packers truly intended to move on without him, has been traded to the Jets by the Pack.

Details of the trade and terms of any reworked contract provisions aren't available. But Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson said early this morning:

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform. He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible team on the field. Mike Tannenbaum and his football administration staff did a great job of navigating this complex process. I am excited about welcoming Brett, Deanna and their family to the Jets organization."

And Tannenbaum, on a conference call with Jets reporters that started at 1:13 a.m. today, likened the sudden developments that made Favre a Jet to the process that brought Vinny Testaverde to the Jets in June 1998.

"We were just monitoring the situation, for lack of a better word," Tannenbaum said of Favre and the Packers' recent exchanges. "When the opportunity presented itself, it was something we had to take a real long look at. For a long time, I just didn't think this was going to come to fruition. It just heated up recently.

"The only part of the process we can control is preparation," Tannenbaum added. "We had a lot of great preparation. When the opportunity presented itself, we were ready to roll and we rolled quick."

Tannenbaum also said that, "unless something unforeseen happens," Chad Pennington will no longer be a Jet. Pennington will be involved in a transaction, not a part of the trade for Favre, that will be announced by 4 p.m. today.

Tannenbaum said he hadn't talked yet to Pennington, taken with the 18th pick of the first round of the 2000 draft, but that Mangini had.

"It's a bittersweet moment for us," the GM said of parting ways with Pennington, who has been competing with Kellen Clemens since March in a QB competition that has now come to an unexpected end. "I just have all the respect in the world for Chad as a person and a player. ... He gave his heart and soul to this organization for a long, long time. I appreciate everything he's done."

Nevertheless, the Jets' starting QB going forward will be Favre. Johnson, Tannenbaum, Mangini and the Jets have landed their biggest name of a busy off-season and preseason of acquisitions by pulling off arguably the biggest trade in franchise history.

Favre is the NFL's only three-time Associated Press MVP, the NFL's career record holder in touchdown passes (442), completions (5,377), attempts (8,758), yards (61,655) and victories by a starting quarterback (160). He has nine Pro Bowl berths to his name and a Super Bowl XXXI ring for his finger.

The Jets seemed from the outset only mildly interested in Favre and unlikely to be able to bring the man who has made No. 4 famous to the New York market. They were always mentioned as being "on the outside" of trade talks as Favre, who decided after retiring in March that he wants to play this season, and the Packers, who have decided to proceed with Aaron Rodgers as their QB, began discussing their options.

But recent stories had the Jets still hanging around on the fringes of the Favre picture. Then early today it was reported that Green Bay was listening to trade offers from both the Jets and Tampa Bay but seemed about to deal the 38-year-old, 17-year veteran to the Buccaneers.

Yet as the day wore on, word was that the Jets were making progress in talks with the Packers on trade terms and with Favre and agent Bus Cook on contract and quality-of-life issues. Perhaps playing into Favre's decision was that the Jets not only don't play in New York City but also, beginning in early September, will relocate to the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, N.J., with hunting and fishing opportunities not far from the suburban campus.

Tannenbaum was at New York's JFK Airport with the team as it boarded a flight for Cleveland, where they will play the Browns in their preseason opener tonight. But Tannenbaum did not stay at the airport, instead returning to his office in Hempstead, N.Y., as negotiations intensified.

Finally, around midnight, the Jets, who seemed to be at the bottom of the list of teams Favre wanted to play for — behind the Vikings, Bears and even the Packers — and at the end of a list of other options — he was considering retirement to his Kiln, Miss., home and an offer to remain with the Packers in a marketing capacity — knew they had come away with the player they nearly selected in the second round of the 1991 NFL draft, only to have Atlanta pluck him away one pick ahead of them.

Favre joins an offense that added seven-time Pro Bowl left guard Alan Faneca, one-time Super Bowl offensive lineman Damien Woody, three-time Pro Bowl fullback Alan Richardson and Favre's longtime Green Bay red zone target, TE Bubba Franks. Meanwhile, the defense was refashioned with the additions of DT Kris Jenkins by trade, OLB Calvin Pace through undrafted free agency and OLB Vernon Gholston with the sixth pick of the draft.

Many questions were answered with these blockbuster developments, and many questions remain. But the question marks will be crowded out by all the exclamation points as word of these developments fans out across the New York area, the NFL landscape and Jets Nation. Say it again slowly to let it sink in: Brett Favre is a Jet.

We will bring you more comments and details on newyorkjets.com, today and in the coming days as we get them.

Jets Will Have To Give Up Three First-Rounders…If…

Thursday, August 07th 2008, 1:50 am by Gary Grund

Adam Schefter of the NFL Network also reported that in the current deal, if the Jets were to trade quarterback Brett Favre to the Minnesota Vikings, the Jets would have to surrender three first-round picks to the Packers.

http://www.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080807&content_id=1470747&oid=36122&vkey=12

Favre puts Jets back on NFL map

Future Hall of Famer improves Gang Green, but how much?

By Michael Salfino

America's Team.

Getting Brett Favre is all it took for the Jets to become a national story. To quote ESPN in announcing the trade to the Jets, "This is the news the nation has been waiting for."

And the Jets -- the New York Schleprocks -- the team that hasn't been able to get out of it's own way the past 38 years.... The Jets have hitched their wagon to it. In 2008, 40 years after Broadway Joe led the team to a championship, legitimizing the AFL-NFL merger and making the Super Bowl the transcendent American sporting event -- the Jets are back on the NFL frontburners.

As I said wrote last week when speculating on the deal, urging the Jets to complete it: "Imagine for a moment those announcing games and reporting on them in print and on radio and television openly rooting for the Favre's Jets against the (Not so) Perfect Patriots. The Mississippi Gunslinger vs. the Cheaters. And the Super Bowl Champion Giants? Suddenly, pretty boring. Sure, they'll get a pop on the back pages now and then, but the big story every Monday morning will be Favre's Jets - just like it was when Broadway Joe ruled the town in the '60s and even into the early '70s.

Of course, there are a multitude of football reasons this makes sense, too. After $200 million in offseason free agent money and the draft, the Jets have the makings of a plus-defense and offensive line and suitable skill players on offense, too -- especially if they give Leon Washington the rock as much as he can stand it."

As I wrote Wednesday in a piece on the Giants, teams that win in the NFL win the battle of the passing game as measured by yards per attempt (YPA). The Favre of 2005 and 2006 isn't going to make much of a difference, though he'll at least be able to stretch the field in ways we haven't seen from the Green and White since Vinny Testeverde had that glorious season a full decade ago. But last year, Favre's YPA was 7.8. If he does that this year on a Jets team with a solid offensive line, two capable receivers, a potential game-changing tight end in rookie Dustin Keller and a mini-Brian Westbrook in Washington, then New York wins 11 or 12 games.

It's probably more likely that Favre, at age 39 (in October), regresses to his form the prior two seasons, in which case the Jets are a 8-8 team at best. But it's worth a shot given the offseason investments and likelihood that that the defense emerges as a capable and perhaps even excellent unit.

No matter what happens, this will be a lot of fun and fun isn't something Jets fans have associated with watching their team very often the past 38 years.

There's an element of "irresistible force vs. immovable object" here.

There's the Jets dark cloud vs. Favre's consecutive starting streak.

Favre hasn't missed a start since becoming the Packers No. 1 QB in 1992. All Jets fans can just see him popping his achilles in the first quarter opening day. Admit it. But how can something like that happen to Favre? Something's got to give.

I have to apologize to the organization and especially Eric Mangini and Mike Tanenbaum. I was convinced that they would put their system ahead of their glaring need at QB, chosing to avoid the circus of Favre in favor of their stated aim to have an organization of soldiers instead of stars. But they went after him very aggressively, continuing their pattern throughout the entire offseason.

Favre, of course, is a star. Should he choose to play past this year, he will help the Jets sell a lot of seat licenses, rumored to cost about $1,000 to $20,000 per pop. So this is a very shrewd business, as well as football decision.

Favre is a great role model and mentor for still-developing Kellen Clemens. Chad Pennington is likely a cap casualty now and clearly not needed. I've stated the obvious on his arm strength post surgery, but if not for a couple of devastating injuries, I'm convinced Pennington would have played in multiple Pro Bowls - that's how extraordinary his first year as a starter was in 2002. But it wasn't meant to be for him or for the team.

Without this move, the Jets were a 6-to-10 win team. And the chance of 10 wins was very slim, depending on a breakout from Clemens or a miracle recovery in arm strength from Pennington. Now, they're a 8-to-12 win team. And I don't think the chance for 12 wins is ridiculously small, but somewhere in the range of 10-to-20 percent, depending mostly on Favre but also a monster rookie year from Vernon Gholston (who I loved before the Jets grabbed him) and for Kerry Jenkins and Calvin Pace to earn most of their big contracts.

That's a long shot. But that's a lot better than no shot - where the Jets were yesterday before No. 4 rolled into town.

Michael Salfino is a nationally syndicated columnist and a regular contributor to SNY.tv.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080807/SPORTS01/808070466/1043/RSS0904

Jets land Favre in early-morning trade

Jane McManus

The Journal News

The green might be a slightly different shade, but Brett Favre will still be wearing it as a Jet this season.

The Jets confirmed early this morning that they have obtained the longtime Green Bay quarterback for a draft pick. The pick is reportedly contingent on how Favre performs this season.

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum held a conference call at 1 a.m. to announce the "one-year-at-a-time" deal, and to say that Chad Pennington will likely be traded today, before the Jets play the first preseason game of the year at Cleveland.

Tannenbaum confirmed that Favre had concerns about coming to New York before talking to the Jets.

"He's coming to a new city. He's been in one system for 16 years," Tannenbaum said. "(There are) not a lot of connections between Brett and our coaching, but we were able to talk through coming to the Northeast."

In Favre, the Jets get a future Hall of Famer, a three-time NFL MVP and a Super Bowl-winning quarterback. Favre led the Packers to victory in Super Bowl XXXI after the 1996 season, highlighting a 16-year tenure in Green Bay.

Favre holds numerous passing records including yards (61,655) and touchdown passes (442). Favre, 38, remains durable. He started all 16 games for the Packers last season, increasing his NFL record to 253 straight starts by a quarterback.

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," Jets chairman Woody Johnson said. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible product on the field. Mike Tannenbaum and his football administration staff did a great job of navigating this complex process. I am excited about welcoming Brett, Deanna and their family to the Jets organization."

Accepting the deal is quite a turnaround for Favre, who seemed to dismiss the Jets as a contender when he started to talk to the Packers about coming back the week before their training camp opened on July 27. Favre did not even talk to the Jets until Tuesday night according to several reports.

"My gut reaction was, I really didn't think this was going to come to fruition," Tannenbaum said.

Favre's agent, James "Bus" Cook, told The Associated Press yesterday that Tampa Bay and the Jets were the two leading contenders. Buccaneers head coach Jon Gruden had worked with Favre when he was a Packers assistant coach

The deal likely means the end as a Jet for Pennington, who was drafted in 2000. He became the starter in 2002 but has battled injuries along the way.

Tannenbaum said the Jets would have a separate transaction involving Pennington today.

"Unless something unforeseen happens, I would say that's where we're going," Tannenbaum said.

Pennington, who had spent training camp in a battle with Kellen Clemens - who now will be Favre's backup - said you can never relax in the business.

"In this league, you better not ease your mind because you never know what may happen," Pennington said Monday.

At 38, Favre is not a long-term solution to a quarterback puzzle. But Favre makes the Jets an instant contender for a playoff berth.

He is, however, getting a late start. Favre has not yet participated in a single training-camp drill. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Favre would not have practiced right away due to an abdominal strain found during a physical Monday morning.

http://jets.lohudblogs.com/2008/08/07/tannenbaums-1-am-conference-call/

Tannenbaum’s 1 a.m. conference call

August

Just like that, Brett is in, Chad is out.

Mike Tannenbaum said he didn’t think Brett Favre would actually be a member of the Jets, but when the moment presented itself, he jumped at it.

“My gut reaction was, I really didn’t think this was going to come to fruition,” Tannenbaum said.

But he talked to Favre about the concerns he had coming to a new city, and the quarterback and the Jets were able to come to an understanding.

“He’s coming to a new city, he’s been in one system for 16 years,” Tannenbaum said. “Not a lot of connections between Brett and our coaching but we were able to talk though coming to the Northeast.”

Tannenbaum also said that a deal involving Chad Pennington would likely be announced later today. Although Tannenbaum called it a bittersweet decision, there isn’t enough room on the roster for Favre, Pennington, Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge. Especially when the quarterback competition that had been so intense is officially kaput.

The deal still needs to be approved by the league, but the Jets officially have a found their starting quarterback.

Needless to say, this one move changes everything for the Jets in terms of prestige and media exposure. They may be living next door to the Super Bowl champions, but the Jets won’t be the second NFL franchise in town. Not this season.

http://nyj.scout.com/2/776553.html

What the Jets give up

By Craig Thomas

Posted Aug 7, 2008

On Wednesday night the Jets traded a conditional draft pick to Green Bay for quarterback Brett Favre. It could be as high as a first round pick. The announcement was made by Adam Schefter on the NFL Network.

"The Packers will receive a conditional fourth-round draft pick in the trade," according to Schefter, who also works for NFL.com. "It turns into a third-round pick if he plays in 50 percent of the plays this season, a second-rounder if he plays in 70 percent of the plays and the Jets qualify for the playoffs , and a first-round pick if he plays in 80 percent of the plays and Jets make it to the Super Bowl."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/08/07/favre.jets.ap/index.html?eref=si_nfl

Posted: Thursday August 7, 2008 12:45AM; Updated: Thursday August 7, 2008 2:23AM

Packers agree to send Favre to Jets

Story Highlights

The Packers have reached an agreement to trade Brett Favre to the Jets

Green Bay had been talking with the Jets and Buccaneers about trading Favre

Favre had started 253 regular-season consecutive games in Green Bay

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP) -- The monthlong saga of Brett Favre's unretirement ended Wednesday night when he was traded by the Green Bay Packers to the New York Jets.

The Packers had been talking with the Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers since deciding earlier this week that they could no longer co-exist with the player who won a Super Bowl and three MVP awards in 16 years with the team.

Terms of the trade weren't immediately available.

The Packers decided to move forward with Aaron Rodgers as their starting quarterback after Favre announced his retirement in March. Given their commitment to Rodgers, team officials weren't particularly receptive when Favre decided a little over a month ago that he might want to play after all -- the latest development in several years' worth of flip-flopping about his football future.

"Brett has had a long and storied career in Green Bay, and the Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for everything he accomplished on the field and for the impact he made in the state," Green Bay officials said in a statement.

"It is with some sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire for certainty that will allow us to move the team and organization forward in the most positive way possible."

Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson issued a statement early Thursday.

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," Johnson said. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible product on the field."

The agreement was first reported by Fox Sports on its Web site.

We just felt like this was an opportunity to go get somebody of Brett's stature and what he's accomplished," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said during a conference call early Thursday morning. "We felt it was in the best interest of the team and when the opportunity presented itself, we felt it was the right move for us to make and we went ahead and did it."

A number of fans made it clear throughout training camp that they wanted Favre on the Jets with signs and "Get Brett!" chants. Favre's new No. 4 Jets jersey already was for sale on the team's Web site about an hour after the trade was announced.

Tannenbaum, who said he had a "good" conversation with Favre, wouldn't speculate whether the quarterback will play in New York beyond this season.

"We had discussions with him and his agent, Bus Cook," Tannenbaum said, "and we're going into this and we're going to take this one year at a time and we're excited to have Brett on the team this year."

The arrival of Favre signals the end of Chad Pennington's career with the Jets. Tannenbaum said there would be another transaction regarding Pennington, who spent his first eight seasons with the Jets.

"It's a bittersweet moment for us," Tannenbaum said. "I have all the respect in the world for Chad as a person, as a player. We've accomplished a lot of good things with Chad ... He gave his heart and soul to this organization for a long, long time. I really appreciate everything he's done."

Favre left Green Bay on Wednesday, boarding a private plane that left for Hattiesburg, Miss. at 1:25 p.m. EDT with his wife, Deanna, and Cook. Favre's family home is near Hattiesburg.

In Mississippi, Favre confirmed that he was considering the Jets and Buccaneers.

"We're working on it," Favre told Jackson TV station WJTV. "Hopefully, we can get something resolved. I've been saying that for quite a while now. I don't want to say we're running out of time, but I need to get into a camp somewhere."

The 38-year-old Favre holds most major NFL passing records and led the Packers to the NFC Championship last season, where they lost to the New York Giants. But Favre threw what would prove to be the decisive interception in overtime.

The Jets went into training camp with an open competition between Pennington and Kellen Clemens after neither established themselves during a 4-12 season. Pennington was 1-7 as the starter and was benched midway through the season. Clemens went 3-5, but Pennington actually had the better season statistically.

After some hope for reconciliation between the franchise and perhaps its most beloved player earlier this week, the final split between the Packers and Favre became obvious Tuesday evening.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy told reporters on Tuesday that after approximately six hours of what he called "brutally honest" conversations over two days, the coach had determined that Favre doesn't have the right mind-set to play for the Packers.

McCarthy said Favre couldn't seem to get past emotional wounds that were opened as tensions mounted in recent weeks -- even with the chance to win his starting job back potentially on the table.

"The train has left the station, whatever analogy you want," McCarthy said Tuesday. "He needs to jump on the train and let's go. Or, if we can't get past things that have happened, I have to keep the train moving."

McCarthy spoke to Favre again Tuesday night, but there was no indication that their conversation did anything to change the fractured relationship between Favre and the franchise.

"It was just very general," McCarthy said of the conversation with Favre, who was excused from practice Wednesday. "Just how he was doing, where he was with the process, things like that."

McCarthy said he was happy the rest of his players were getting a chance to move forward.

"We talked about it last night," McCarthy said. "The players want resolution, they want what everybody wants. To come out here every day and talk about somebody that is not here and then shows up, it's gone on too long, and understandably so. They want to play football."

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://njmg.typepad.com/pelz/2008/08/from-green-bay.html

The Jets just officially announced that they have acquired Brett Favre from Green Bay. As always, they didn't announce compensation. Of course, they wouldn't announce what draft pick they got for a reserve linebacker, so that's not all that surprising. Various reports make it a fourth-rounder that could turn into a second or a third-rounder that could turn into a first, or even a fourth-rounder that could become a first.

But, yeah, I am surprised that they pulled the trigger. I had been hearing for weeks that Favre didn't want to come to New York. But once the Packers made it clear Minnesota wasn't an option, it came down to the Jets and Tampa Bay. And the Jets obviously convinced Favre that this would be, well, a good landing place for him.

Just how good is it? We'll all find out soon. I think first of all, the Jets' organization must understand that Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum are no longer the most important men in the building. Favre is an icon, a larger-than-life figure, and he takes precedence over anyone and anything. That 's not by his decree---it just is. Even more importantly, the Jets and Mangini are going to have to tweak their philosophy to accomodate Favre, who even at age 38 [he'll be 39 on Oct. 10] is often the quintessential gunslinger, who tries to force passes into tight spaces and likes to take chances. The Jets must live with that and put Favre in situations he can be comfortable in.

UPDATE: We just got GM Mike Tannenbaum on a conference call, and he indicated that the Jets had 'multiple discussions with Brett' in recent days and admitted that they were on the fringes of this saga until just recently, 'monitoring the situation.' He also admitted the obvious, that barring 'something unforeseen' Chad Pennington would be an ex-Jet by later today. I assume the Jets are still trying to trade him, most likely to Minnesota, which allegedly wanted Favre [and that helped begin this whole saga in the first place].

'It's a bittersweet moment for us,' Tannebaum said of jettisoning Pennington. 'He gave his heart and soul to this organization for a long, long time. I really appreciate what he's done.'

Most significantly about Favre, Tannebaum said, 'we're taking it one year at a time,' indicating that Favre hasn't committed to playing beyond the 2008 season. 'We felt it was the right thing to do,' Tannenbaum said of the trade.

http://mvn.com/nfl-jets/2008/08/06/brett-to-the-jets/

I can’t believe I am typing this….Brett Favre has been traded to the New York Jets.

Yes, Brett Favre has been traded to the New York Jets.

The Jets added the defensive pieces, the offensive lineman, the new fullback, and the new tight ends but they still had a question mark on quarterback….Not anymore.

I don’t know what to say. I am speechless. I am without speech. I would have never thought in a million years that the Jets would pull this off. Give the organization credit, this team wants to win and they are going after it this year. Breaking the move down, here are some things to consider:

1. Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens had both been underwhelming so far in camp, which likely increased the desire of the organization to obtain Favre.

2. Chad Pennington is going to either be traded or released. It has been a good run with Chad but it is time for him to move on because of this deal.

3. The Jets are getting more national media coverage right now than they have had in the last 10 years.

4. How will the team respond to the media circus?

5. How fast can Favre pick up the offense?

6. The Jets are now a contender in the AFC. They just jumped from a 7-8 win team to a 9-11 win team.

7. The Jets are probably going to have 3 or 4 flex games on Sunday night football at the end of the year now.

8. The Jets can maximize the use of their weapons now….Dustin Keller, Jerricho Cotchery, Leon Washington, Laveranues Coles get ready.

9. The Jets have become relevant again.

10. It is a good time to be a Jets season ticket holder.

Much More to come throughout the day tomorrow….

http://blog.nj.com/jets/2008/08/wow_it_actually_happened.html

Wow, It Actually Happened

Posted by bbullock August 07, 2008 00:13AM

Brett Favre is heading to the Jets, according to a report from FoxSports.com.

I still can't really believe it at this point, I'm still a bit in shock. I NEVER thought it would actually happen. Until an "official" announcement is made, that is all I can write about it now.

I know, I know, I mentioned his name, but if the guy is on our team it's a different story!

UPDATE:

ESPN is all over the Favre to Jets deal too, I guess it really did happen. It is NOT "official" though, so we'll just wait and see what happens.

UPDATE 2:

It's on the Jets official website now. The Jets and Packers are confirming the deal. You can even order your own Brett Favre Jets' jersey already!

It is really true; Favre is a New York Jet. Unbelievable.

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," said Jets Chairman & CEO Woody Johnson. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise."

Oh, and the Jets give up a conditional fourth round pick that could turn into a first round pick if the Jets reach the Super Bowl. If that happens, I'll gladly surrender the first-rounder!

Chad Pennington will be gone later today, either by trade or outright release. I'll have more thoughts on this crazy deal tomorrow.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/jets/Jets_get_Brett_Farve.html

'Broadway Brett' joins Gang Green

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Last updated: Thursday August 7, 2008, EDT 5:48 AM

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

Read J.P.'s latest post on "Green Machine"

The Jets made a bold move late Wednesday night, much like the ones for which their new quarterback is famous.

The Jets traded a conditional 2009 draft pick, which could be as high as a first-rounder according to various reports, to Green Bay for legendary quarterback Brett Favre, the NFL all-time career leader in touchdown passes. The Jets beat out Tampa Bay, which also was involved in the bidding for Favre’s services.

The move almost certainly means the end of Chad Pennington’s career with the Jets.

“We just felt like this was an opportunity to go get somebody of Brett's stature," Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum said during a conference call early Thursday morning. "We felt it was in the best interest of the team and when the opportunity presented itself, we felt it was the right move for us to make and we went ahead and did it."

Tannenbaum added that he had a “good conversation” with Favre.

“We’re excited about it and we’re glad he’s on the team,” the GM added.

Favre, who has made his reputation by fearlessly throwing passes to receivers despite tight coverage, made a tearful farewell to football when he announced his retirement in March. But in early July, he made it clear he wanted to return to the game. However, the Packers already had decided to move on with Aaron Rodgers as their new starter, and thus a complex soap opera began.

Favre eventually was reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and reported to Green Bay camp Sunday. But subsequent conversations between him and Green Bay coach Mike McCarthy made it clear Favre would not remain a Packer, and he flew home to Mississippi on Wednesday afternoon. That's when the Jets became quite heavily involved, as they were able to convince Favre to come to the Jets. Up until then, it was believed he wasn't interested in playing for the Jets.

Favre had contemplated retirement in previous years, and he apparently didn’t give the Jets any assurances about playing beyond the 2008 campaign.

"We had discussions with him and his agent, Bus Cook," Tannenbaum said, "and we're going into this and we're going to take this one year at a time and we're excited to have Brett on the team this year. &hellip We’re really happy to have him for this season."

“It’s a bittersweet moment for us,” Tannenbaum said, indicating that barring “something unforeseen,” Pennington will be an ex-Jet by 4 p.m. today. Pennington’s salary-cap figure is believed to be $6 million, and they will need to remove him from the roster to fit in Favre and his $12 million cap figure. The Jets likely are attempting to trade him. Minnesota, which was interested in Favre, could be a potential suitor.

Favre’s contract runs for two more seasons. He is schedule to make $13 million in 2009 and $14 million in 2010.

Pennington “gave his heart and soul to this organization for a long, long time,” Tannenbaum said. “I really appreciate everything he’s done.”

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," owner Woody Johnson said in a statement. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible product on the field."

Tannenbaum admitted that the Jets’ interest in Favre had been “cursory” until very recently, when the trade talks heated up.

Favre threw for 4,155 yards, 28 touchdowns and only 15 interceptions last season, but was picked off in overtime in the NFC final against the Giants, leading to Lawrence Tynes’ game-winning field goal. In 2005 and 2006, he totaled 38 TD passes and 47 interceptions.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

http://blog.nj.com/jets/2008/08/not_a_chance_im_not_getting_su.html

Not a Chance, I'm NOT Getting Sucked In!

Posted by Bob Bullock August 06, 2008 2:11PM

Categories: News

I wrote on this blog a few days ago that I refuse to mention the guy's name. I am sticking to that, even in light of the recent events that link the Jets to a certain quarterback. It isn't going to happen, so why get involved in all the hype?

I was involved at one point, but it is all over now. I don't need any future Hall of Fame quarterback. I'm happy with the competition between Kellen Clemens and Chad Pennington. Let me enjoy it and move forward on this whole situation.

The guy is using the Jets as leverage to get as much as he can, as is the Packers organization. He wants no part of being on the Jets and we should want no part of him. I'm over it and I say we should ALL be at this point. Trade him to the Bucs and let's end this ridiculous story already.

As our own Dave Hutchinson has maintained since the beginning, the Jets are a LONG, LONG shot. I say it's even slimmer than that. There is a ZERO percent chance it happens, so why even bother with the topic any longer?

I'm still waiting for Coach Mangini to announce the starter for tomorrow's preseason opener. Perhaps he's waiting until the events of the day are over. He wouldn't want to name a starter and then have to release the guy a few hours later, right Chad?

I kid, of course, because that will NOT be the case. The team will be led by Pennington or Clemens in week one down in Miami. There will be no "other" quarterback taking a snap for the Jets this season other than those two, barring injury that is.

J-E-T-S, Just End the Saga!!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d809ccdb9&template=with-video&confirm=true

Jets acquire Favre from Packers for conditional draft pick

NFL.com Wire Reports

Mike Roemer/Associated Press

Brett Favre will be trading one shade of green for another as a member of the Jets.

After 16 seasons, several NFL passing records and a Super Bowl title, the Brett Favre era in Green Bay -- and the drawn-out saga that came along with an offseason of contentious talks after his unretirement -- finally came to an end early Thursday morning.

The Packers traded the future Hall of Fame quarterback to the New York Jets for a conditional fourth-round draft pick in 2009, NFL Network’s Adam Schefter reports.

The pick turns into a third-round selection if Favre plays in 50 percent of the plays this season, a second-rounder if he plays in 70 percent of the plays and the Jets qualify for the playoffs, and a first-round pick if he plays in 80 percent of the plays and Jets make it to the Super Bowl.New jersey

Schefter also reports that the Packers took great pains to ensure that Favre would not be traded to the Vikings by inserting a "poison pill" in the deal. If Favre were to be traded to Minnesota, the Jets would have to surrender three first-round picks to Green Bay.

It was once thought unthinkable that the Packers would trade Favre, the holder of almost every meaningful passing record in the NFL. But the events over the last month, and especially over the last few days, forced the issue. In fact, it seemed the only resolution to what turned into a bitter divorce.

"I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform," said Jets Chairman and CEO Woody Johnson said in a statement. "He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible team on the field.

"Mike Tannenbaum and his football administration staff did a great job of navigating this complex process. I am excited about welcoming Brett, Deanna and their family to the Jets organization."

The Packers had been talking with the Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers since deciding earlier this week that the team and the three-time MVP couldn't co-exist.

The Packers decided to move forward with Aaron Rodgers as their starting quarterback after Favre announced his retirement in March. Given their commitment to Rodgers, team officials weren't particularly receptive when Favre decided a little over a month ago that he might want to play after all -- the latest development in several years' worth of flip-flopping about his football future.

"Brett has had a long and storied career in Green Bay, and the Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for everything he accomplished on the field and for the impact he made in the state," Green Bay officials said in a statement.

"It is with some sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire for certainty that will allow us to move the team and organization forward in the most positive way possible."

"We just felt like this was an opportunity to go get somebody of Brett's stature and what he's accomplished," Tannenbaum, the Jets general manager , said during a conference call early Thursday morning. "We felt it was in the best interest of the team and when the opportunity presented itself, we felt it was the right move for us to make and we went ahead and did it."

A number of fans made it clear throughout training camp that they wanted Favre on the Jets with signs and "Get Brett!" chants. Favre's new No. 4 Jets jersey already was for sale on the team's Web site about an hour after the trade was announced.

Tannenbaum, who said he had a "good" conversation with Favre, wouldn't speculate whether the quarterback will play in New York beyond this season.

"We had discussions with him and his agent, Bus Cook," Tannenbaum said, "and we're going into this and we're going to take this one year at a time and we're excited to have Brett on the team this year."

The arrival of Favre signals the end of Chad Pennington's career with the Jets. Tannenbaum said there would be another transaction regarding Pennington, who spent his first eight seasons with the Jets.

"It's a bittersweet moment for us," Tannenbaum said. "I have all the respect in the world for Chad as a person, as a player. We've accomplished a lot of good things with Chad ... He gave his heart and soul to this organization for a long, long time. I really appreciate everything he's done."

Favre left Green Bay on Wednesday, boarding a private plane that left for Hattiesburg, Miss., at 1:25 p.m. EDT with his wife, Deanna, and Cook. Favre's family home is near Hattiesburg.

In Mississippi, Favre confirmed that he was considering the Jets and Buccaneers.

The 38-year-old Favre holds most major NFL passing records and led the Packers to the NFC Championship Game last season, where they lost to the New York Giants. But Favre threw what would prove to be the decisive interception in overtime.

The Jets went into training camp with an open competition between Pennington and Kellen Clemens after neither established themselves during a 4-12 season. Pennington was 1-7 as the starter and was benched midway through the season. Clemens went 3-5, but Pennington actually had the better season statistically.

After some hope for reconciliation between the franchise and perhaps its most beloved player earlier this week, the final split between the Packers and Favre became obvious Tuesday evening.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy told reporters on Tuesday that after approximately six hours of what he called "brutally honest" conversations over two days, the coach had determined that Favre doesn't have the right mind-set to play for the Packers.

McCarthy said Favre couldn't seem to get past emotional wounds that were opened as tensions mounted in recent weeks -- even with the chance to win his starting job back potentially on the table.

"The train has left the station, whatever analogy you want," McCarthy said Tuesday. "He needs to jump on the train and let's go. Or, if we can't get past things that have happened, I have to keep the train moving."

McCarthy spoke to Favre again Tuesday night, but there was no indication that their conversation did anything to change the fractured relationship between Favre and the franchise.

"It was just very general," McCarthy said of the conversation with Favre, who was excused from practice on Wednesday. "Just how he was doing, where he was with the process, things like that."

McCarthy said he was happy the rest of his players were getting a chance to move forward.

"We talked about it last night," McCarthy said. "The players want resolution, they want what everybody wants. To come out here every day and talk about somebody that is not here and then shows up, it's gone on too long, and understandably so. They want to play football."

Information from the Associated Press was included in this report.

Archived