NY JETS news articles 8/30/08

Kentucky Jet

Jets fifth-round draft pick awaiting his fate Friday, August 29, 2008 BY J.P. PELZMANStaff Writer

NFL quarterbacks drafted in the fifth round usually aren’t supposed to be fighting for a roster spot four months later.

Then again, not much about the Jets’ quarterback situation has been normal in the summer of 2008.

Erik Ainge had appeared in garbage time in two preseason games, and hadn’t even thrown a pass before the Jets’ preseason finale Thursday night. But he entered the game with 1:12 left in the first half and directed three scoring drives in the Jets’ 27-20 victory at Philadelphia.

Ainge is one of many players awaiting his fate. NFL teams must trim their roster from 75 players to 53 Saturday afternoon.

“I felt more comfortable [Thursday] just because I was able to get rep after rep after rep,” Ainge said after the game, adding that football “is not like baseball where you get an at-bat and then you have to wait a half-hour to hit again.”

Of course, Ainge had waited much longer than a half-hour for this chance. He was limited for most of the spring after having surgery to repair a broken pinky finger on his throwing hand, suffered during his senior season at Tennessee.

Ainge’s absence gave Brett Ratliff, an undrafted free agent from Utah who spent last season on the practice squad, a chance to get plenty of practice plays in the spring, and by August, he had become entrenched as the No. 3 quarterback and was pressing Kellen Clemens for the backup job after the acquisition of Brett Favre.

Ratliff had a touchdown pass to Paul Raymond on Thursday and finished August 32-for-47 for 499 yards and four touchdowns with one interception.

All of that meant that most of Ainge’s work came with the scout team, running the plays of the upcoming opponents. Most of the praise he garnered from coach Eric Mangini was for Ainge’s comedic talents at the rookie show, and Mangini once said Ainge’s throws in practice were “funny.”

Even after Ainge went 10-for-16 for 131 yards and one touchdown Thursday, Mangini seemed lukewarm in his praise for the rookie.

“He did a couple of good things,” Mangini said. “But there were some throws I thought he could have brought up a little bit. They were a bit low.”

“I think the coaches will decide if they saw me do enough things [Thursday] and in the other games,” Ainge said. “I think overall our third group, which includes me, did a great job.”

If the Jets cut Ainge and he clears waivers without being claimed, he could be brought back to the Jets’ five-player practice squad.

When asked about sweating out cutdown day, Ainge said, “There’s nothing I can do about that. I think they drafted me for a reason, but things happen.

“You just have to roll with it and I’m not really going to worry about that. I’m going to go back and watch some film. We have a couple days off here so I’ll go hang out and hopefully I’ll be moving over to Jersey.

“Come Monday it will the Favre show” in practice, Ainge said, “but I’m glad I got to come out here and show my teammates I can play.”

But did he show enough to the Jets? He’ll find out.

MOVING IN: The Jets will have a ribbon-cutting ceremony Tuesday at 11:30 a.m. with Governor Corzine, owner Woody Johnson and numerous other dignitaries, officially opening their new training facility in Florham Park.

Eric Mangini, Jets take chance on new wide receiver Chansi Stuckey

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Saturday, August 30th 2008, 1:14 AM

Duncan/AP

Chansi Stuckey will most likely become the No. 4 receiver on Jets' depth chart this week.

As a Patriots assistant coach under Bill Belichick, Eric Mangini was instrumental in the decision to convert the venerable Troy Brown into a two-way player - a wide receiver who moonlighted as a cornerback.

The Jets coach, an outside-the-box thinker, may have discovered his next Brown - Chansi Stuckey, who made his NFL debut at cornerback in the final preseason game Thursday night in Philadelphia.

Stuckey, who probably will make the team as the No.4 wide receiver, played most of the game as a nickel corner, covering the slot receiver - his usual position on offense. He recorded four tackles and held up reasonably well in coverage.

Not bad for someone who learned only three days before the game that he'd be playing defense.

"It was fun, but I really didn't work that much on defense during the week," Stuckey said after the 27-20 victory. "Earlier in camp, we went over some defensive options ... and I just remembered what to do."

Stuckey was a high school quarterback in Georgia and even played a little QB at Clemson before becoming a full-time receiver, but he never played defensive back - save for a few reps in the Jets' intrasquad scrimmage in early August.

"He has very good short-area quickness and the ability to react," said Mangini, explaining his latest brainstorm. "I thought this would be a good time to see it in terms of an operation, him as part of an operation."

The top three corners, Darrelle Revis, rookie Dwight Lowery and Justin Miller (dislocated toe), didn't play in the finale. Drew Coleman and Ahmad Carroll, both on the roster bubble, were the starters, with Stuckey playing in the nickel package.

"It was different playing the position, but mostly I used my athletic ability to cover the receivers," Stuckey said.

Two-way players are rare in the NFL, conjuring up images of a bygone era. Since 2000, the Jets have used at least two players on offense and defense - cornerback Marcus Coleman caught a "Hail Mary" touchdown against the Bills in 2000 and defensive tackle James Reed was used as a blocking fullback on four plays in 2004. The Jets scored on three of the four.

Mangini wouldn't say if he's planning to use Stuckey as a two-way player in the regular season, which opens a week from tomorrow in Miami, but don't be surprised if he does. Mangini isn't shy about experimenting.

Check his track record:

He turned Brad Smith, a college quarterback, into a wide receiver. He signed Ben Graham from Australian Rules Football and made him a punter. Last spring, he moved David Bowens, an outside linebacker his entire career, to the inside - a prescient move, considering the recent season-ending injury to Brad Kassell.

Aside from Stuckey, Mangini is tinkering with two other players - David Barrett and Hank Poteat - both of whom are learning to play safety. "Position versatility" is one of Mangini's credos. If nothing else, Stuckey at cornerback gives the Dolphins something else to prepare for.

CHATMAN CHATTER: The Jets will have an announcement Saturday on third-string RB Jesse Chatman, who was close to being traded last night, sources said. They showcased him in Thursday night's preseason finale, when he rushed for 96 yards. The move would leave the Jets with only two tailbacks. ... The Jets will announce their final cuts today; they must pare 21 players from their roster. Those in jeopardy include Barrett, Poteat, LB Matt Chatham, LB Cody Spencer, DE Kareem Brown, OT Jacob Bender, TE A.J. Schable, rookie WR Marcus Henry and rookie QB Erik Ainge. It would hurt to carry four quarterbacks, but Ainge may have earned a one-year scholarship with a nice showing against the Eagles - his first preseason action. ... OLB Marques Murrell and DE Kenwin Cummings, a rookie free agent from Wingate, both have an excellent chance to make the team. ... The Jets will be scanning the waiver wire for help on the offensive line and at safety.

Chatman making most of chance with Jets

By Jane McManus

The Journal News • August 30, 2008

In 2006, Jesse Chatman didn't look like much of a running back. A ripped tendon in his big toe the year before had turned him into an NFL journeyman, and he had added 60 pounds to his 5-foot-8 frame. There was the possibility he would never play again.

So on a night where he gains 180 total yards for the Jets in a 27-20 preseason win over the Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on Thursday, he can appreciate the success in every sense.

"It felt great," Chatman said. "Just that aroma walking out on the field on Sunday nights, it's just a feeling you can't describe. Just like walking out tonight, just that aroma, that football smell, you know the smell of the grass. It was great."

Going into the game, in which Jets coach Eric Mangini rested his starters so the backups could make an argument for inclusion on the 53-man roster that will be decided today, Chatman knew the game plan was to go to him.

He ran for 93 yards on 29 carries and caught six passes for 87 yards. Chatman even handed the ball off to Paul Raymond on a reverse that gained 21 yards.

"Jesse had a really nice game," Mangini said. "He's got a very good ability to make people miss. He's got strong legs. He's got good balance."

Afterward, Chatman allowed that yes, he should inquire about an all-day massage to soothe the rough spots, but that he was happy for the opportunity to showcase his game.

"I was ready for whatever. In this game you seldom get opportunities," Chatman said.

He should know. After being brought in as an undrafted free agent in 2002 by the Chargers, Chatman played in 10 games that season and in all 16 regular-season games the next year. In 2004, he had 65 carries for 392 yards and played in every regular-season game before the toe caused him to sit out the AFC wild-card game against the Jets.

In 2005 he was waived, signed by the Dolphins, then traded to New Orleans, and by 2006 could have been one of the many NFL players to flash and fade in a few years, a career blinking past.

"Nobody was calling," Chatman said of sitting out the 2006 season. "It was actually a blessing in disguise."

Chatman worked the weight off, and Miami called again in 2007.

He played 14 games for the Dolphins last year, starting six, and gained 515 yards on 128 carries. He was signed by the Jets as an undrafted free agent in March.

Chatman may not see as much time in the first game of the season against Miami as he did in the preseason game against Philadelphia, but in the event he does, he doesn't want the emotions to get the better of him.

"Playing for a team that you once was on and then no longer being there, you can't help but want to be motivated to do good against your old team," he said. "You just got to not let them take advantage of it."

Although the arrival of free-throwing quarterback Brett Favre has caused some curiosity about how many carries backs such as Thomas Jones will get, Chatman isn't worried.

"With Favre here, all it's going to do is open up the running game because now you have to respect the pass a lot more than you did before,'' Chatman said. "So I think it's going to help us out a lot."

Reach Jane McManus at jmcmanus@lohud.com.

'BATTERED' CHATMAN MADE CASE FOR JET SPOT

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Posted: 4:50 am

August 30, 2008

Anyone looking for Jesse Chatman yesterday better have checked the massage table or hot tub in the JetsNew York Jets ' training room.

Chatman, the reserve running back who was signed as a free agent in the offseason, had to be the sorest player on the team after his workhorse performance in the Jets' 27-20 win over the Eagles in Thursday night's preseason finale. He rushed 29 times for 93 yards and a touchdown, caught six passes for 87 yards and was proficient in blitz pickup blocking in pass protection.

Asked after the game how he felt, Chatman said, "Battered and bruised."

He said the coaches told him before the game he would be getting a lot of touches on offense since the starters would be rested.

"I was ready for whatever," Chatman said. "In this game, it's about opportunities. Every chance you get you've got to try to take advantage of it, and I had 35 chances and I tried my best to take advantage."

He took advantage to the tune of 180 total offensive yards - easily the most dominant performance in the game for either team.

"I didn't realize I had that many yards until Coach told me (after the game)," Chatman said.

The capper came when he scored on a two-yard touchdown run for the winning points with 6:26 remaining in the game.

"That felt good for all the work put in during the offseason," he said.

That Chatman is still in the league is reward for his resolve. After suffering a foot injury in 2005, he allowed his weight to balloon to as high as 283 pounds - far too much for his 5-foot-8 frame. That left Chatman out of football entirely in 2006.

His solid 2007 season with the Dolphins and subsequent free-agent signing with the Jets has left Chatman appreciative of his new lease on football life.

"Just that aroma walking out on the field on Sundays is a feeling you can't really describe," Chatman said.

The Jets will make their final 21 cuts today and there are several veterans on the bubble for one of the 53 roster spots. Among them are linebacker Matt ChathamMatt Chatham , who expressed some angst after Thursday's game about his status, as well as cornerbacks David BarrettDavid Barrett and Hank Poteat.

Both Barrett and Poteat were used as safeties in the preseason finale as coach Eric Mangini sought depth. Poteat has the edge because he's more versatile and cheaper. Barrett, who had 11 interceptions in 36 starts for the Jets in the last four seasons, will to count almost $3 million against the salary cap. Both players have been pushed down the depth start at CB because of the emergence of rookie Dwight Lowery, who looks as if he might start the season opener.

mark.cannzzaro@nypost.com

A A A A A

Defensive fence players fighting for lives

Jets OLB Marques Murrell By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Aug 28, 2008

While most roster decisions were made before camp started, let's look at some defensive players on the bubble, who might be able to help themselves with a strong outing in Philadelphia -

In the secondary, there is a fierce battle going on for the final defensive back spot or two. Ahmad Carroll is making himself very tough to cut. He has made steady progress throughout camp, and his speed is awfully impressive. Hank Poteat isn't flashy, but is smart and consistent. David Barrett has been getting work at safety, and if the Jets brass likes what they see, that could help his cause. Safety Abram Elam is likely on the fence. He's a good special teamer, and a tough guy, but is inconsistent in coverage. If the Jets cut him, Miami will likely pick him up (Parcells loves the kid). Another safety on the fence is James Ihedigbo, who could be headed to the practice squad.

At linebacker, the Jets have a very difficult decision to make between Matt Chatham and Murques Murrell. Chatham can play all the linebacker positions, and is a core special teams player, and Murrell has a much bigger upside and is a better pass rusher. The issue is Chatham is that while he's very versatile, he doesn't make a lot of impact plays on defensive or special teams. If the Jets cut Murrell, there is a good chance he could end up in Miami also.

On the defensive line, the team is likely all set heading into the final preseason game with ends Shaun Ellis, Kenyon Coleman, Kareem Brown and Mike DeVito and nose tackles Kris Jenkins, C.J. Mosley and Sione Pouha.

Archived