Home theater questions

Fishooked

Ok, I setup my Vizio, PS3, and HD/DVR cable box...but I have yet to hook it up to my Onkyo system.

Im not that crazy about my existing system, but I had a question(s)

All 3 of my components right now have optical inputs - are those the connections I should be using for digital sound?

This is the rear of my receiver:

82-120-085-15.jpg

If I keep my existing system, do I use one optical cable each for the tv and ps3? Do I need to run an optical cable from the cable box to the tv first, then from the TV to the receiver?

Im such a spaz, normally Im pretty good with this crap.

Ok, I setup my Vizio, PS3, and HD/DVR cable box...but I have yet to hook it up to my Onkyo system.

Im not that crazy about my existing system, but I had a question(s)

All 3 of my components right now have optical inputs - are those the connections I should be using for digital sound?

This is the rear of my receiver:

82-120-085-15.jpg

If I keep my existing system, do I use one optical cable each for the tv and ps3? Do I need to run an optical cable from the cable box to the tv first, then from the TV to the receiver?

Im such a spaz, normally Im pretty good with this crap.

If you're using your surround speakers for your TV and leaving the volume on the Vizio off (as you should in that situation), you only need to run the toslink (optical) cable from your cable box and your PS3 to your receiver. Since I will assume that you're running HDMI direct from the cable box and PS3 to your TV, you just need to switch the input on the receiver for the audio when you go between cable and PS3/DVD. On the Onkyo, you configure which input each optical input is associated with...

If you're using your surround speakers for your TV and leaving the volume on the Vizio off (as you should in that situation), you only need to run the toslink (optical) cable from your cable box and your PS3 to your receiver. Since I will assume that you're running HDMI direct from the cable box and PS3 to your TV, you need to switch the input on the receiver for the audio when you go between cable and PS3/DVD.

Yeah, both HDMIs are directly into the TV. So since the TV is connected to the cable box, there's be no reason to use the optical on the TV, just on the box to the receiver?

Correctamundo on the first post. If you want to use the sound on the TV without turning on your receiver, it will still get audio through HDMI.

As far as the cable, I don't know what your cable box uses (if you get the manufacturer/model I can help you out), but the PS3 uses a square toslink connector, as does your receiver. The cable pictured is a toslink-to-mini, which you don't want. This is what you need:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1574&seq=1&format=2

15741.jpg

Correctamundo on the first post. If you want to use the sound on the TV without turning on your receiver, it will still get audio through HDMI.

As far as the cable, I don't know what your cable box uses (if you get the manufacturer/model I can help you out), but the PS3 uses a toslink connector, as does your receiver. The cable pictured is a toslink-to-mini, which you don't want. This is what you need:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1574&seq=1&format=2

15741.jpg

Awesome, yeah, that definitely looks like the right connection.

Thanks bro, you rock...:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

If you're using your surround speakers for your TV and leaving the volume on the Vizio off (as you should in that situation), you only need to run the toslink (optical) cable from your cable box and your PS3 to your receiver. Since I will assume that you're running HDMI direct from the cable box and PS3 to your TV, you just need to switch the input on the receiver for the audio when you go between cable and PS3/DVD. On the Onkyo, you configure which input each optical input is associated with...

Dammit...is it so hard to find an afforable home theater system with more than 1 optiocal connection? :hand:

All the ones Id been looking at only have one. :disgust:..my Onkyo has two, but I want something with smaller speakers, and one in black, to match my TV...my existing one is silver, call me petty, I know... :biggrin:

Dammit...is it so hard to find an afforable home theater system with more than 1 optiocal connection? :hand:

All the ones Id been looking at only have one. :disgust:..my Onkyo has two, but I want something with smaller speakers, and one in black, to match my TV...my existing one is silver, call me petty, I know... :biggrin:

Do they have any digital coax connections? It looks like an RCA connector... You can pick up one of these converters for around $10 and would solve your problem.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2

29481.jpg

Do they have any digital coax connections? It looks like an RCA connector... You can pick up one of these converters for around $10 and would solve your problem.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2948&seq=1&format=2

29481.jpg

Yeah I do, so Im guessing I run the digital coax from the receiver into there, then run the optical from there into whatever (DVR, ps3, etc) ?

Archived