Eric Devendorf

uart

Lets talk about Eric Devendorf...

Woman says she was hit by Devendorf

by Robert A. Baker / The Post-Standard

SYRACUSE, NY -- The Syracuse Police Department submitted a summons application seeking the arrest of Eric Devendorf, a junior guard starting on the SU basketball team, Sgt. Tom Connellan, speaking for Syracuse police, said. Devendorf has not been arrested.

In a news release, the Onondaga County District Attorney's Office said the matter has been referred to the Syracuse University Judicial Affairs Office. It said any further decision by the DA's office will be deferred pending the outcome of the university proceedings.

Kimberly Smith, 20, said she was driving her 2007 Honda about 3 a.m. in the 900 block of Walnut Avenue when several people began kicking her car, Connellan said.

Smith told police she got out of the car to get the people to stop. Eric Devendorf walked up to Smith with a closed fist and struck her, Smith told police.

Devendorf shouted obscenities and told her to get back in the car, Connellan said.

Syracuse police first became aware of the incident when they were called in the early morning Nov. 1 to University Place and Comstock Avenue on a harassment complaint, Connellan said. SU Public Safety officers were on the scene as well, he said.

Smith told police she couldn't identify the people kicking her car but that she could identify Devendorf, whom she knew, Connellan said.

Devendorf lists Smith as a friend on his MySpace page, Connellan said.

Source: http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2008/11/woman_says_she_was_hit_by_deve_1.html

Syracuse player texts alleged Devendorf victim

By Gary Parrish / CBS Sportsline

The ongoing saga involving Eric Devendorf at Syracuse has received almost no national attention, but it's getting juicier by the minute and is at least worth a mention. If you're unfamiliar, the gist of the story is that a Syracuse student named Kimberly Smith accused Devendorf of hitting her in the face last month, and the result is that Devendorf had a judicial board hearing late Thursday.

Among the interesting things that came out of the hearing was that Devendorf's teammate, Justin Thomas, sent a text message to Smith after the alleged incident that included Jim Boeheim's cell number, just in case Smith wanted to talk to the Syracuse coach. Another text message from Thomas to Smith read as follows: "i hope u can find it in ur heart to forgive my teammates thanks."

Now I'm no lawyer, but it can't be a good sign that Thomas is asking the alleged victim to forgive his teammates, if only because it's hard to figure out why you'd need somebody to forgive you if you didn't do anything wrong, though it's possible I'm just reading too much into a text message. Who knows? But one thing that's certain is that this isn't going away as quickly or easily as anybody connected to the Syracuse basketball program probably wanted, and if Devendorf doesn't get a favorable ruling then it could affect the Orange's hope of making the NCAA tournament.

Anyway, the Post-Standard newspaper in Syracuse has a lengthy story on the hearing.

You can read it at this link.

Source: http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/12106942

So much is left out here...

Originally (in the police report) the woman claimed that Devendorf hit her with a closed fist, and that there was a crowd but Devendorf was the only one she recognized. She also said that people were kicking her stopped car so she got out to "ask them to stop", which is when Devendorf cursed at her "numerous times" and hit her with a closed fist. She THEN got back in her car, drove two blocks, and called the police.

A few weeks later, and she claims in an interview that she also recognized five other members of the basketball team that were there next to Devendorf, who she also recognized.

The other day at the court trial/meeting, she apparently accused Devendorf of slapping her once on the chin", and calling her a "slut" before he walked away. She also said that she DID NOT recognize Devendorf, but recognized another player on the team who was there, which is why she got out of the car when the mob was kicking it.

There's a reason nobody is giving this story any attention.... Because it doesn't really deserve any.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3760958&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- A Syracuse University judicial hearing board has ruled that starting guard Eric Devendorf violated the Student Code of Conduct after allegedly hitting a female student in the face.

The board recommended that Devendorf, a 6-foot-4 junior, be suspended for the remainder of the academic year. He is expected to appeal the decision.

"Any player can still play while the case is under appeal," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim told ESPN.com on Wednesday, adding he will allow Devendorf to do just that (Syracuse's next game is Saturday against Long Beach State).

The appeals process could take anywhere from 15 to 20 days, Boeheim said.

"He's not going to be treated any differently" during that period, the coach said.

Richard Kesnig, a lawyer who represents the female student, said the university faxed him the decision late Wednesday afternoon.

Devendorf is the third-leading scorer for the Orange (No. 16 ESPN/USA Today, No. 13 AP), averaging 14.1 points and 3.1 assists. He missed most of last season with a torn knee ligament.

Boeheim said he wouldn't have any further comment on Devendorf's case until it is resolved.

I hate how the press hates telling, you know, the facts.

The Judicial Board at Syracuse in fact found that Devendorf was NOT GUILTY of punching, or hitting ANYONE in the face. The accusing woman did not have any marks or wounds on her face, and denied medical attention. What Devendorf was found guilty of by the board would not even be considered a criminal offense in any court of law. Suspending a kid for a year for such inhumane acts such as "raising one's voice in a threatening matter", "making hand gestures that may be perceived as a threat to others", and "the use of inappropriate language" (used after the accuser almost ran him and his friends over with a car) is BEYOND ridiculous.

Yes, he violated the schools student code of conduct, and should be punished accordingly. Require anger management classes, require community service, suspend him from out of school activities (bball) for a few weeks. But to kick him out of school for the remainder of the year?? RIDICULOUS.

Please admit that Devendorf is a classless douchebag.

Dont want this to be another AEC thread, but, do you know him, or do you just see him being (over)emotional on the court?

If a drunk girl almost hit you and your friends with her car, then came out of the car cursing and screaming at you when you got nervous/angry, are you telling me that anyone who would "raise their voice in a threatening manner" is a 'classless douche'? Im pretty sure that would cover a high percentage of everybody.

The kangaroo court of five undergrads just trying to make a name for themselves...

Ok, I just wanted to be clear that you're going to continue to defend this dude.

Of course. As I said, he deserves to be punished for having that argument and violating the code of conduct. Put him through anger management, require community service hours, both. The guy does not deserve to have his school year and basketball career abruptly ended over a stupid argument.

So much is left out here...

Originally (in the police report) the woman claimed that Devendorf hit her with a closed fist, and that there was a crowd but Devendorf was the only one she recognized. She also said that people were kicking her stopped car so she got out to "ask them to stop", which is when Devendorf cursed at her "numerous times" and hit her with a closed fist. She THEN got back in her car, drove two blocks, and called the police.

A few weeks later, and she claims in an interview that she also recognized five other members of the basketball team that were there next to Devendorf, who she also recognized.

The other day at the court trial/meeting, she apparently accused Devendorf of slapping her once on the chin", and calling her a "slut" before he walked away. She also said that she DID NOT recognize Devendorf, but recognized another player on the team who was there, which is why she got out of the car when the mob was kicking it.

There's a reason nobody is giving this story any attention.... Because it doesn't really deserve any.

I have never heard of this guy but he got thrown under the bus by this chick.

WTF is wrong with her? Is she trying to bring down the entire Syracuse basketball program?

Let me guess......She is not enrolled at the University.

WTF is wrong with her? Is she trying to bring down the entire Syracuse basketball program?

She is an SU student. Now, in the judicial board (kangaroo court) trial, she claimed that she did not know devendorf. Yet through questioning of her and the witnesses, it was revealed that she in fact dated one of Devendorf's closest friends on the team, and was in his apartment frequently as she is friends with his roomate, Center Arinze Onuaku. She is also a friend of Devendorf's on MySpace.

All witnesses they called at the trial apparently confirmed Devendorf's story that they did not see him swing at the woman, or even provoke the confrontation. The undergrad judicial board (Kangaroo court) wrote in their statement that the witness's testimonies were stricken from this decision because they appeared to be 'rehearsed and scripted.' Hey, retards, if a bunch of witnesses all say they saw the same thing, it means that they're saying it because thats what happened. Would you rather them lie about it so you don't get the impression that it was all scripted?

How they discount all the witness's testimonies and keep hers, after all that she had already changed and lied about throughout the course of this case, is beyond my wildest imagination.

This is truly the most ridiculous punishment I have ever seen for a crime someone never even committed.

This assumes that you believe GangGreenMan's take on the situation.

All witnesses they called at the trial apparently confirmed Devendorf's story that they did not see him swing at the woman, or even provoke the confrontation. The undergrad judicial board (Kangaroo court) wrote in their statement that the witness's testimonies were stricken from this decision because they appeared to be 'rehearsed and scripted.' Hey, retards, if a bunch of witnesses all say they saw the same thing, it means that they're saying it because thats what happened.

LOL. If a bunch of people who are all friends of the accused tell a story that is favorable to that person... Listen, I wasn't there to hear the 'testimony,' but I think you're writing off their assessment of it too quickly.

How they discount all the witness's testimonies and keep hers, after all that she had already changed and lied about throughout the course of this case, is beyond my wildest imagination.

Juries do this all the time in court. Did she lie? Did he lie? Did everyone lie?

This is truly the most ridiculous punishment I have ever seen for a crime someone never even committed.

You're only a little biased.

You don't think that a panel of Syracuse students wouldn't have contained any Basketball fans? I find it very telling that his fellow students ruled this way against him.

LOL. If a bunch of people who are all friends of the accused tell a story that is favorable to that person... Listen, I wasn't there to hear the 'testimony,' but I think you're writing off their assessment of it too quickly.

Juries do this all the time in court. Did she lie? Did he lie? Did everyone lie?

You're only a little biased.

You don't think that a panel of Syracuse students wouldn't have contained any Basketball fans? I find it very telling that his fellow students ruled this way against him.

They were the only witnesses that testified. What are they supposed to do, bring in someone who wasn't there to tell them what they think may have happened? Plus, just because these people are his friends doesn't mean they can't tell the truth under oath.

Juries might do this, but when all witness testimony and all evidence supports one side, its hard to make the case that the other side is telling the truth...Dontcha think?

I think the five student undergrads wanted the attention. They knew if they came down hard on him they would be reading about it in their dorm rooms on ESPN, Yahoo, and CBS that night. No, they're names are not published, but it gives Judicial Affairs, and for that matter them (when they put it on their resumes), more attention.

I know this may seem like a lame excuse, but when a group of students demands that a player be suspended from school for a season for committing a conduct violation that wouldn't even be considered a crime in criminal court, despite all the evidence that supports his claim, its really the only thing I can think of. There is no way this sentencing holds up after the appeals process is complete. He may miss a week or so, and he probably will have to attend anger management programs, but suspending him for an entire season is beyond unreasonable.

Appeals board ruled today that Devendorf's suspension from SU will be active immediately, and will last until he fulfills the community service and other requirements set by the Appeals Board. He will also not be allowed to participate in any team activities until the beginning of the Spring 2009 semester (Begins Jan 12).

This is a fair ruling IMO. He put himself in a bad situation and deserves to be punished for his poor decision making, especially considering he was on probation already. Ruining somebody's future over a verbal argument, which the original sanction would have done, would have been beyond absurd.

Archived