any chance yanks get lowe or sheets?

Jetkid94

Personally ive wanted Lowe for a long time, and sheets has always been a favorite of mine because the brewers are my #2 team. I also have always been a pettite fan so i want him back to. My guess would be they get 1 of those 3. which one do you think the yanks get?

The rumor that circulated this week was that the Yankees would push to sign either Burnett OR Lowe, and then either Sheets OR Pettitte.

I think Lowe is off the radar now with the Burnett deal done. The Yankees don't want to spend the money. Cashman flew to Texas to see Pettitte this week, and my instinct is that the discussion was primarily to let Pettitte know that it is an either/or situation.

I think Pettitte at a pay-cut would be the preference over Sheets right now. Especially because you can sign Pettitte to a one-year deal, which allows you the flexibility of bringing Hughes/Aceves/IPK back into the rotation full-time after a year, if he is ready.

From Kat O'Brien and Ken Davidoff:

They have ruled out going after oft-injured Ben Sheets, someone familiar with their plans said, because of too many "red flags." Instead, they will await a decision from Andy Pettitte.

The Yankees, who had hoped to sign Pettitte or Sheets to round out their starting rotation, have decided that Pettitte would be a better fit. Sheets did make 31 starts in 2008, going 13-9 with a 3.09 ERA for the Brewers, but injuries kept him from topping 160 innings between 2005 and 2007.

Another advantage of signing Pettitte instead of Sheets is that Pettitte will require just a one-year contract.

Also a Yankees official with knowledge of the meeting between Cashman and Pettitte on Thursday said:

"They just had a good meeting and [Pettitte's] thinking about things."

It's probably the much smarter move to go with Pettitte over Sheets in this case. With a rotation that has A.J. Burnett (injury-prone) and Joba Chamberlain (innings limit) in it it's good to have someone who has thrown 200 or more innings in 10 of his 14 major league seasons. They need an innings eater.

It also may have been smarter if the Yankees went with Sheets over Burnett, but that's a conversation for another day.

No Sheets, looks like.

Archived