Weird Timing For Arena Football Vote

jetsrule128

Today's AFL board of directors meeting, during which the league is to vote again to determine whether to suspend the 2009 season, won't take place until 9 p.m., Storm coach Tim Marcum told the Times on Sunday.

"Why is this thing not Monday?" Marcum said. "There's an agenda. Something smells fishy."

Last Wednesday, the board voted to not suspend the season. But according to Marcum, 10 voted against playing and seven voted for playing. A three-fourths vote was needed to shut things down.

Marcum said that since that first vote, the Chicago franchise has switched sides and is now against playing. If the other votes hold, that would make it 11 against playing and six for, inching the number closer toward what is needed to cancel the season.

Marcum contends the Storm, Arizona, New York, Orlando and San Jose are committed to playing in 2009, and are doing all they can to make that happen. But he said he's concerned representatives from other teams are trying to convince some franchises to vote against playing.

"They've got some kind of plan," Marcum said.

Marcum said he expects Dr. Bob Nucci, who owns 51 percent of the Storm, and Woody Kern, who owns 49 percent of the team, to speak up during the meeting, which will take place via conference call.

"I think we're going to try to encourage them to at least listen," Marcum said. "Maybe we have to push (the start) back into March or even April. What's the hurry for killing it right now? Let's look at every possible angle."

trust me i am fine

i can easily pretend the af2 is the afl for a year

it's the same sport

trust me no you're not.

stages of grief

• Denial (this isn't happening to me!)
  • Anger (why is this happening to me?)
  • Bargaining (I promise I'll be a better person if...)
  • Depression (I don't care anymore)
  • Acceptance (I'm ready for whatever comes)

I think you are still in stage 1.

We are still here for you if you need it. We've all had tragedy in our lives. Let your emotions go.

trust me i am fine

i can easily pretend the af2 is the afl for a year

it's the same sport

How many leagues have suspended operations for a year and came back?

None.

They picked a bad time to be short on cash. I think you will see AFL teams moving to AF2 versus seeing AFL ever again.

Archived