NYjets.com: Greene's at the Forefront

flgreen

Jets say Greene at forefront of backfield; Tomlinson unaware

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 29, 2010 6:41 PM ET

On Monday, ESPN aired an interview with LaDainian Tomlinson, where the former Chargers running back made a few bold statements, the type of statements that would have been atypical for the classy star early in his career, but have been very typical of late.

"I'll win a Super Bowl," Tomlinson said about his upcoming time in New York. "No question. Absolutely."

Predictions like that are encouraged under Rex Ryan, so we barely gave the quote a second thought. Tomlinson's thoughts on his role in New York were more telling.

"We're obviously competing," Tomlinson said about him and Shonn Greene. "And I think the best man is going to win the starting job. . . . I think I'm tired of being doubted by so many people about what I can't do."

But does Tomlinson really have a chance to start? On the same day Tomlinson made these comments, the Jets' website splashed a story on their front page with the following headline: "Greene's at the forefront of the backfield."

The piece touts Greene as the guy. Tomlinson sounds like an afterthought to be used in "select situations." Conspiracy theorists think the timing of the article is no coincidence.

"Hmmm," Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post writes. "Sounds like the Jets are trying to send a message of their own. Lead stories don't get on team Web sites by accident."

We won't go that far, but we are interested to see how Tomlinson reacts when the best man wins the starting job in September.

Archived