Slow Interwebz question

InstantClassic

Does router make a difference in how fast internet connection can be?

I have (according to ATT) the fastest DSL package they offer..yet my internet sucks! I lag when streaming Netflix, sometimes on XBOX Live, I can't surf the web and be on XBOX Live at the same time..etc.

The only thing I can think of is I have an older model router (D Link I believe) and maybe that's the cause? Could it be it?

If so..any recommendations of routers out there? Thanks in advance.

I have (according to ATT) the fastest DSL package they offer..yet my internet sucks! I lag when streaming Netflix, sometimes on XBOX Live, I can't surf the web and be on XBOX Live at the same time..etc.

The only thing I can think of is I have an older model router (D Link I believe) and maybe that's the cause? Could it be it?

First, go to www.dslreports.com, run a speed test, and post the results as well as the level of service you're paying AT&T for (ie. 768 kbps).

If you are talking wireless the router could make a huge difference...slowest to fastest b - g - n.

First, go to www.dslreports.com, run a speed test, and post the results as well as the level of service you're paying AT&T for (ie. 768 kbps).

Thanks for the tip.

My results said:

Downlaod: 447 kb/s

My ATT plan says it is as fast as 6.0 mbps

Something tells me my router is slow as sh*t.

Thanks for the tip.

My results said:

Downlaod: 447 kb/s

My ATT plan says it is as fast as 6.0 mbps

Something tells me my router is slow as sh*t.

Try disconnecting the DSL modem from your router and instead plug your PC/laptop directly into the DSL modem (to the port where the router was connected). Then re-run the test to see if there is an appreciable difference.

Archived