Marvin Austin, DT

Kentucky Jet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Defensive Tackle | North Carolina | SR Marvin Austin

Height: 6-1⅝ | Weight: 309 | 40-Time: 4.90

Official Bio

Strengths:

• Good height and great bulk with broad, sturdy build

• Athletic w/ terrific speed, burst, quickness and agility

• Can penetrate and disrupt action in the backfield

• Is stout at the point of attack and able to anchor

• Very light on feet with excellent mobility and range

• Outstanding sheer strength and is naturally powerful

• Does a fantastic job in pursuit when he is motivated

• Could offer some schematic and positional versatility

Weaknesses:

• Marginal production and was not really a sack artist

• Does not possess impressive instincts or awareness

• Not technically sound and leverage is inconsistent

• Effort is lacking at times and motor is huge concern

• Isn't nasty or aggressive and lacks a killer instinct

• Bit of a prima donna and maturity's been questioned

• Ran into off-the-field trouble and had a long layoff

Notes:

Was a three-year starter for the Tar Heels --- Named 2nd Team All-ACC in 2009 --- A high-profile prep recruit who essentially had his choice of elite programs --- Missed two starts in 2009 due to the "coaches decision" --- Dismissed from the football team and didn't play in 2010 after the NCAA discovered he received $10,000 to $13,000 of improper benefits from an agent --- Was dominant at the East / West Shrine Game and also performed extremely well in workouts --- Could fit in either a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme --- Best fit at the next level may come as a three-technique in an even front --- Classic underachiever who doesn't always play nearly as well as he works out --- Clearly a 1st Round talent but may lack intangibles needed to maximize immense potential.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Career Statistics

Year GP TKL TFL SACK

2007 12 26 6.0 4.0

2008 13 38 1.5 1.0

2009 13 42 6.0 4.0

2010 DNP - - -

Totals 38 106 13.5 9.0

I am wishing that we get Wilkerson! If not him then Martez Wilson makes sense! I do not like Austin for his clkassic underachieving history and immaturity problems. We are a win-now team!

No thank you. I'm pretty much into staying away from any player who's scouting report says...

Classic underachiever who doesn't always play nearly as well as he works out --- Clearly a 1st Round talent but may lack intangibles needed to maximize immense potential.

No thank you. I'm pretty much into staying away from any player who's scouting report says...

Classic underachiever who doesn't always play nearly as well as he works out --- Clearly a 1st Round talent but may lack intangibles needed to maximize immense potential.

Exactly, there isn't a chance in hell after the Gholston debacle the Jets even consider anyone who's labeled as lacking effort or issues with motor.

Archived