Cimini: Putting a Wrap on Jets West

flgreen

Putting a wrap on "Jets West"

May, 5, 2011

May 5

4:04

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Thoughts and observations from my two days at Mark Sanchez's passing camp in Mission Viejo, Calif. -- aka "Jets West."

• Sanchez did a lot of multi-tasking. He played the roles of quarterback, offensive coordinator, public-relations director and concierge. Clearly, he enjoys being the leader -- the organizer -- and he's good at it.

• Sanchez made a telling, lockout-related comment to reporters: Think about the teams that don't have established quarterbacks -- i.e. the Panthers, Vikings, 49ers, et al. How are they supposed to organize and conduct these type of events? Imagine if the lockout occurred before the 2009 season; there's no way the Jets could've pulled off something like this.

• Braylon Edwards' agent probably winced when he read the comments from the wide receiver, saying he's being willing to take a little less money from the Jets to re-sign as a free agent. Smart PR move by Edwards. I don't doubt his desire to stay in New York, but the whole discount thing really endeared himself to the fans.

• Even though the passing drills didn't include any defenders, Brad Smith looked terrific as a receiver. The question is, do the Jets feel the same way about him? If Smith becomes an unrestricted free agent, I'd say he's a goner. Think about this: The Jets traded up eight spots to pick WR/KR Jeremy Kerley in the fifth round. They were deathly afraid of losing him because they know Smith could be gone.

• As I wrote the other day, Kerley is a keeper. Anybody can see he has skills.

• LaDainian Tomlinson attended the camp. That alone speaks volumes.

• Dustin Keller looked overweight, although he apparently told another reporter that he added eight pounds of muscle. If I had a pass-catching tight end as difficult to cover as Keller, I'd want him to stay just the same.

• I have a feeling rookie WR Scotty McKnight is going to be a go-to guy in the locker room whenever somebody is looking to write a Sanchez story. They've been friends for about 17 years, and McKnight is engaging and articulate.

• Here's a name you'll hear more about, when (if?) we ever get to training camp -- WR Logan Payne. He was a non-descript player last season because it spent it on the practice squad, but he definitely has some game. The Jets wouldn't have kept him around this long if he didn't.

• One of the reasons behind Sanchez's success is his family. It has been with him every step of the way, and it was instrumental in organizing "Jets West." His older brothers, Nick (also his agent) and Brandon, did a lot of the leg work. His dad, Nick Sr., was there, too, classy as always.

• If the Eighth Circuit Court decides to keep the stay in place as it prepares for the June appeal, meaning the lockout would continue, it probably will mean no off-season program, no OTAs and no minicamps. Some of the Jets' players were talking about trying to organize another passing camp if it comes to that.

WOW

2 straight articles from Cimini without him being negative, or sarcastic.

What’s with that?

The Jets traded up eight spots to pick WR/KR Jeremy Kerley in the fifth round. They were deathly afraid of losing him because they know Smith could be gone.

Just this made up crap... lol

Archived