Pouha leading DL in offseason workouts.

SenorGato

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/06/jets_defensive_linemen_organiz.html

I hate posting full articles so I'll post the interesting shyte:

“Mark Sanchez has Jets West,” joked Pouha, the ringleader and seven-year veteran. “We’re Jets City Club League.”

Pouha called fellow defensive lineman Mike DeVito a few weeks ago to discuss organizing group workouts. He worked on securing a venue via connections in the area and hopes they can gather four times per week.

Is Pouha feeling the heat from two new draft picks and a possible lockout? Is that why he's trying to show leadership and add some intangibles to his value? It's way too soon for that, even in terms of there being a lockout. He's got at least this season with the Jets, if not more.

Pouha reached out via Twitter to first-round draft pick Muhammad Wilkerson, who made the short trip from his hometown of Linden. Third-rounder Kenrick Ellis is currently training South Florida, where he is from, but Pouha hopes he can make it next week. Ropati Pitoitua, who is rehabbing from a torn Achilles tendon, and hybrid outside linebacker Jamaal Westerman rounded out the crew.

- Get up here Kenrick.

- Westerman is going to be a somebody here, I think.

- Good to see Pito up and active. Where's Dixon?

This was also the first time the veterans met Wilkerson, who stands to be among those impacted most by the work stoppage. DeVito brought along his defensive workbook, filled with his scrawl of notes from last season, to help Wilkerson, but learned the rookie had a copy of the playbook — one better than the rest of his teammates.

After position drills, Pouha took the group through the first few defenses they usually install each spring, introducing them to Wilkerson.

“We’re not really trying to be coaches, we’re just trying to give him an edge if we can offer that,” Pouha said.

The rookie impressed his teammates by how quickly he picked up direction. DeVito called Wilkerson a “natural,” adding that he only needed to receive instructions once. Friday afternoon, the veterans planned to begin going over the playbook with the Temple product.

That's what vets are for. Kind of a Brunell/Sanchez thing going on here. I like that these savvy vets, both guys who have climbed alot of hills to get where they are, are coaching Wilkerson up. I'm excited to hear that they want to involve Ellis.

“Considering the circumstances, it’s a really good idea for us all to get together,” Pouha said. “When Mark makes the call, when our leader makes the call, we’re there.”

Yes, you're reading that right. I don't want to speak too soon, but it appears that Mark Sanchez is the man.

Is Pouha feeling the heat from two new draft picks and a possible lockout? Is that why he's trying to show leadership and add some intangibles to his value? It's way too soon for that, even in terms of there being a lockout. He's got at least this season with the Jets, if not more.

- Get up here Kenrick.

- Westerman is going to be a somebody here, I think.

- Good to see Pito up and active. Where's Dixon?

Pouha will be around here or elsewhere. He did a hell of a job the past two years and plenty of teams are looking for big DTs. I think the fact that he's a mature guy with that missionary experience is more the reason for him to be the leader. He's the oldest one under contract. They did say they hoped Ellis (Shaun) would join them.

Why single out Dixon? What about Gilbert? I'm interested that Westerman is there because he is expected to play LB and he's the only LB I saw on the list.

Archived