2024 Yankees Off-Season Thread

Barton

If the Yankees are serious about winning, they will have to spend $$$ upon $$$. And make some key trades to unload salary. 

Cody Bellinger - not a great OBP guy but there is NO EXCUSE for the Yankees not signing him and putting him in CF. None. He will hit for a solid enough average .270+, walk at a decent clip, is a LEFTY and has great defense. Yankees should sign him. Dont give me this Kevin Keirmaier nonsense - he's another low average, high K guy.

Yamamoto - the Japanese pitcher. Sign him. Stop making excuses. If he's a legit #1 or #2, the Yankees need this.

Juan Soto - Yes, the Yankees can get Bellinger and Soto. Yes, they can. 

Stanton - he has to be unloaded. Absolutely has to. He only plays 80 games a year and he hits .215 every year now with 200 strikeouts. Awful. Hal can eat some $$, richy rich has plenty of money from daddy. I get the impression his teammates dont really care for him, IMO. This guy sat out game 6 and 7 of the ALCS in 2019 because his knee had a boo boo which didnt require offseason surgery. 

Gleyber - a solid player but also an airhead. Blunders in the field. Not a great contact hitter. About to get paid (and overpaid). Trading him for prospects unloads some salary, which makes the Soto acquisition a possibility. 

There are some other players they can dump to free up dollars. 

Edited by Maxman
Changed 2023 to 2024
  • Upvote 3

Bellinger - agree, Judge is on track to being a full time DH so we need a CF. We also desperately need a lefty bat

yamamoto - agree again. 

Soto - agree

Stanton - absolutely nobody wants him.  Yankees would have to eat 80% of his salary plus give up prospects.  Same goes for DJ

Gleyber - agree, resign IKF to a cheap 2 yr deal so he can start at second base and trade Gleyber for prospects or use him as a chip to unload Rodon’s contract 

It really comes down to how badly Hal wants to win.  Cashman has stuck us with 3 horrible payroll busting contracts (Stanton, DJ and Rodon). He needs to understand this might be a 75 win team next season if no radical changes occur.  This could go back to the 80’s when the stadium was empty and NY was a Met town

On 11/13/2023 at 1:13 AM, Maxman said:

Shouldn't this be 2024?

I wast sure on that one haha. Note, Caleb Durbin is a 5’6 spark plug in the minors with a high obp, high batting average and 7% strike out rate. Also steals bases at a high clip. I’d start him opening day. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Padres/Yanks not agreeing on players to swap in a trade. Cashman is hugging his own players/prospects, as usual.

Ask yourself, when was the last time he picked up a legit HOF proven MLB talent in a trade?

He doesnt make those types of moves. He thinks too highly of his prospects. Now Thorpe is the next Verlander or something - we cant trade him!

Unreal. 

You have to GIVE to GET. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/2/2023 at 1:52 PM, Barton said:

Padres/Yanks not agreeing on players to swap in a trade. Cashman is hugging his own players/prospects, as usual.

Ask yourself, when was the last time he picked up a legit HOF proven MLB talent in a trade?

He doesnt make those types of moves. He thinks too highly of his prospects. Now Thorpe is the next Verlander or something - we cant trade him!

Unreal. 

You have to GIVE to GET. 

His last good trade was Chapman for Gleyber and that was 7 years ago.  It’s been a whiff fest ever since.  Trading Montgomery, Gio etc

On 12/2/2023 at 6:52 AM, Barton said:

Unreal. 

You have to GIVE to GET. 

Padres offer was Soto and cf Trent Gresham for King Drew thorpe Vascuez Brito 1 to 2 lower level prospects and cash relief. Uh no

GAodDDkX0AA_Y1s?format=jpg&name=900x900
Yankees and Assman just gave up 3 prospects for a middling pile of sh*t from Boston no less .... 
What a ******* sh*t show

They gave up nothing for him and he’s a decent contact hitter.
They are also about to trade for Soto. I’ll miss Michael king though
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Barton said:

Not everyone needs pop in a lineup. We need balance. Less Ks. Higher batting average and OBP. Verdugo will help, aside from his obp being just ehh. 

I've been saying exactly that for 10 years that we needed less K's and higher batting averages  and what has Cashhole done ? Then when he decides to do it we get scrubs. This guy needs to go ! I know that's not happening but this team in its current state makes me sick. All the good hitters have came and went over the years while we signed scrubs and where are we at ? We are at homerun or strike out and that is not sustainable.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Adding Soto and Verdugo is not enough. The lineup is still not great. Stanton has to go. This is a key. Gleaner can also be considered for a trade. They have Serna in the minors. 

Stanton is tough to move, they have to eat a lot of his salary, and I believe he has a no trade.

Gleyber, just keep for a year.  Let him leave in FA, get the comp picks, and then backfill from the minors.