NFL LOCKOUT 2011: THE STORY CONTINUES...

BaumerJet

NFL eyeing eight-game regular season as lockout contingency?

By Sean Leahy, USA TODAY

June 6, 2011

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has consistently said that the NFL has contingency plans for nearly every possible outcome of the current labor impasse.As Goodell said last month, the league has contingencies for its contingencies.

And one of those may be becoming clearer.

goodellx-inset-community.jpg

By Sean Gardner, Getty Images

SportsBusiness Journal reported on Monday that the NFL is considering a regular season that could be shortened to as few as eight games if the lockout lingers.

That would give the season a start in mid-November, with the playoffs and Super Bowl still being played.

There is somewhat of a precedent for such an abbreviated season. In 1982, the NFL played a nine-game regular season. Sixteen teams made the playoffs, with the Washington Redskins winning the Super Bowl.

No details -- or NFL confirmation -- have emerged. League spokesman Greg Aiello said in April the league would monitor potential changes to the schedule.

"If and when it becomes clear that we cannot play the schedule as it was announced," he said, "we will make the appropriate adjustments with an eye toward minimizing changes."

The lockout remains in place as the 8th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals considers its validity.

The NFL has built some cushion into its schedule, with the league able to start as many as three weeks late and still play a full 16-game schedule.

I'm so very sick of this crap-either get it together or say Eff it and cancel the 2011 season. I'm getting to the point where I don't even care if there is a season or not right now. Just let us know so we can move on with our lives-hell. it'll save me a whole bunch of money between the DTV NFL package and the Sunday gig I'm sure to lose.

I'm so very sick of this crap-either get it together or say Eff it and cancel the 2011 season. I'm getting to the point where I don't even care if there is a season or not right now. Just let us know so we can move on with our lives-hell. it'll save me a whole bunch of money between the DTV NFL package and the Sunday gig I'm sure to lose.

An 8 game season is an F U to the fans

Archived