More litigation for the NFL

faba

ESPN.com news services

Seventy-five former players are suing the NFL, claiming the league intentionally withheld knowledge of the damaging effects of concussions for 90 years, TMZ.com reported Tuesday.

According to TMZ.com, the plaintiffs claim that "The NFL knew as early as the 1920's of the harmful effects on a player's brain of concussions; however, until June of 2010 they concealed these facts from coaches, trainers, players and the public."

The website says the group includes former Pro Bowlers Mark Duper of the Miami Dolphins and Rodney Hampton of the New York Giants. Former Super Bowl MVP Ottis Anderson is also named in the lawsuit, TMZ.com reported.

The suit alleges that the NFL did not admit that multiple concussions can affect memory and cause dementia and chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) until 2010, according to TMZ.com.

League spokesman Greg Aiello issued a statement Tuesday saying the NFL has not "seen the complaint but would vigorously contest any claims of this kind."

CTE is a degenerative brain condition that has been linked to the deaths of several former NFL players, including former Chicago Bear Dave Duerson and former Cincinnati Bengal Chris Henry.

All of the players named in the suit claim they have suffered injuries due to multiple concussions, the website said.

However, according to TMZ.com, the suit claims that an NFL-authorized 1994 study concluded there was "no evidence of worsening injury or chronic cumulative effects" from multiple concussions.

The NFL has made numerous adjustments in the battle against concussions in the past year, including altering rules on how, when and where players can be hit. The league also introduced new tests and rules regarding in-game concussions and authorized studies to determine the quality of helmets worn by its players. In February, commissioner Roger Goodell went before Congress to urge legislators from all 50 states to pass youth concussion laws.

According to TMZ.com, the players are seeking unspecified damages.

Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.

I got really drunk at a home Jets game in 1988. I estimate that I probably lost 10,000,000 brain cells. There has to be a way I can sue them.

Geez, imagine that, having a 265 pound man strike you repeatedly in the head is not a good thing. Who would have guessed

However, according to TMZ.com, the suit claims that an NFL-authorized 1994 study concluded there was "no evidence of worsening injury or chronic cumulative effects" from multiple concussions.

Probably the same scientists who demonstrated that tobacco use is good for a sore throat.

Archived