Report: Jets Extend Hunter; Damien Woody To Retire?

JetNation

jets.gif

According to several published reports the New York Jets have re-signed offensive lineman Wayne Hunter to a 4-year, $13 million dollar deal.  Hunter filled in admirably last year for the injured Damien Woody, starting 6 games including two in the playoffs.

I think this is a smart signing by the Jets, as it is cost effective and Hunter can fill several roles on the offensive line.  This also gives the Jets some wiggle room with second year player Vlad Ducasse who some feel is not ready to take on the starting tackle position.

Note: This signing cannot be officially announced by the Jets until Friday at 6 p.m EST.

Woody to retire? There are several reports coming out that Damien Woody has decided to retire.  Earlier this week Woody stated that it was “the Jets or bust” in terms of continuing his playing career.  With the announcement of the Hunter signing it appears that “Big Wood” has decided to hang up his cleats.  I would not be surprised to hear that the Jets told Damien to stay in shape and that he would be the team’s first option if any of their offensive linemen went down.

So what do you think about the Hunter signing Jets fans? Talk about it in the JetNation Forums.

di</img>di</img>

_yFbGqvYzFM

View the full article

According to several published reports the New York Jets have re-signed offensive lineman Wayne Hunter to a 4-year, $13 million dollar deal. Hunter filled in admirably last year for the injured Damien Woody, starting 6 games including two in the playoffs.

Not a small amount of money, $3.25M/year. That's starter cash.

Yeah, I'm interested to see what the structure of that contract is. I can't imagnie they put themselves into a situation where Hunter is a likely multi-year starter, since I still think they want Ducasse to take the job, so I'm curious to see if there's some option or roster bonuses built in after a year or two that make up a lot of that value.

Yeah, I'm interested to see what the structure of that contract is. I can't imagnie they put themselves into a situation where Hunter is a likely multi-year starter, since I still think they want Ducasse to take the job, so I'm curious to see if there's some option or roster bonuses built in after a year or two that make up a lot of that value.

If that's the case, there'd probably be some front-loading in recognition of his potential to start this year.

This is how fast the FA money dries up, though. Jets have a contract on the table for Holmes, they're bidding on Antwan Barnes, they've spoken to multiple CB's. Smart guys are putting pen to paper. All the money could be gone by the time the league year officially opens. Hunter did well for himself. I'm sure he was being courted to start elsewhere.

Probably because he's going to be our starter. Vlad was a project, everyone knew that, and being the he was barely dressing...are you really going to go into the season expecting him to win the job? Not a chance.

FWIW, the online had their best games when Hunter was playing RT, IMO

It's not starter cash. It's probably something like a 3M signing bonus and minimum salaries for the first two years. In any event, it's not like Hunter isn't going to play plenty even if Ducasse starts considering Hartsock and probably Turner are gone.

It's not starter cash. It's probably something like a 3M signing bonus and minimum salaries for the first two years. In any event, it's not like Hunter isn't going to play plenty even if Ducasse starts considering Hartsock and probably Turner are gone.

Turner's an RFA, he'll be here for at least one more year. Even still, when Hunter was a backup to Woody he still got on the field as it was, so I have no doubt he'll get some playing time regardless.

Archived