Recapping 8/9 JetsCamp

ProInterviews

Hey Jets fans!!

I talked to a lot of people on the defensive side of the ball today...

Jim Leonhard, Darrelle Revis, Kyle Wilson, Mike Pettine, Carlton Powell, Antonio Cromartie, Donald Strickland...

http://prointerviews.org/StartingToFlyAround

Feel free to share your thoughts below. I look forward to hearing from you.

post-12878-0-98475100-1312940002_thumb.j

I'd like to share a thought. Perhaps you could link to JN on your site and thereby not come across as sniping viewers for your interviews. And also, maybe offer some personal insight instead of just quoting what the players have to say...which is virtually nothing. My impression of a player interview:

Q: So do you think this team is ready to take the next step?

A: We been working really hard and all the pieces are in place its just a matter of getting the reps and finding the rythm blah blah blah.

Q: Are you ready to have a breakout year?

A: I been working with (insert anyone's name here) during the offseason trying to build on my strengths and correct my weaknesses and I feel like I'm primed for a big season, blah blah blah.

Q: Who's been most impressive to you in camp this year?

A: I think everyone's been working hard and a few guys have stood out including (insert any soon-to-be-cut player here) and I think if he can adjust to the speed of the game he'll be able to really contribute on special teams."

Seriously. Criticize, hypothesize, and ask a ballsy question,. You've got a camera. They ain't gonna walk away in this day of youtube. Have a little balls.

I'd like to share a thought. Perhaps you could link to JN on your site and thereby not come across as sniping viewers for your interviews. And also, maybe offer some personal insight instead of just quoting what the players have to say...which is virtually nothing. My impression of a player interview:

Q: So do you think this team is ready to take the next step?

A: We been working really hard and all the pieces are in place its just a matter of getting the reps and finding the rythm blah blah blah.

Q: Are you ready to have a breakout year?

A: I been working with (insert anyone's name here) during the offseason trying to build on my strengths and correct my weaknesses and I feel like I'm primed for a big season, blah blah blah.

Q: Who's been most impressive to you in camp this year?

A: I think everyone's been working hard and a few guys have stood out including (insert any soon-to-be-cut player here) and I think if he can adjust to the speed of the game he'll be able to really contribute on special teams."

Seriously. Criticize, hypothesize, and ask a ballsy question,. You've got a camera. They ain't gonna walk away in this day of youtube. Have a little balls.

I don't think it's my place to add commentary. I'm trying to showcase what the players think.

I don't think it's my place to add commentary. I'm trying to showcase what the players think.

Tougher questions could lead to some actual insight, though. Get a nice quote or sniff out a controversy and suddenly you've got more press cred. I'm not knocking you specifically, BTW, it just gets so monotonous hearing the the same stuff from these guys. Showcasing what the players think insn't necessarily of value considering they generally don't think. They have pat answers to rote questions that are are repeated ad infinitum. It's a problem with sports media in general. Don't want to piss off a player and get blacklisted, don't want to perpetuate the nonsensical, banal exchanges we've all come to know and ignore. Maybe a more personal approach would be of value--find out who the players are as people?

Hard to read through that... I can respect you trying to bring raw interviews to the fan... but the real talent would be putting all of that into a well written short article.

I see what you're saying. I'm not about writing articles and putting my perspective into it.

I'm putting the players' perspective on the map and showcasing that. I'm not news. I"m player media.

Tougher questions could lead to some actual insight, though. Get a nice quote or sniff out a controversy and suddenly you've got more press cred. I'm not knocking you specifically, BTW, it just gets so monotonous hearing the the same stuff from these guys. Showcasing what the players think insn't necessarily of value considering they generally don't think. They have pat answers to rote questions that are are repeated ad infinitum. It's a problem with sports media in general. Don't want to piss off a player and get blacklisted, don't want to perpetuate the nonsensical, banal exchanges we've all come to know and ignore. Maybe a more personal approach would be of value--find out who the players are as people?

That's what I do on my full length interviews, for example, http://prointerviews.org/EricSmith

But I understand. I think more of the problem with sport media is that it's headed to player driven, and not organization run. That's why twitter is so popular, because it's sport media by the players.

Archived