Martin-Ellis verdict: Get Law

Smizzy

Martin-Ellis verdict: Get Law

BY KEN BERGER

Newsday

August 7, 2005

ALBANY -- If anyone knows what Ty Law would bring to the Jets' defense, that person is Curtis Martin.

"He's a guy who you can depend on to get the job done," Martin said yesterday during the lunch break between practices with the Giants. "I know when I was up in New England, we would put him on whoever was the best receiver on the opposing team. Most of the time, we didn't have to worry about that receiver making any big plays."

The prospect of Law, a three-time Super Bowl champion with Hall of Fame credentials, joining an already solid defense has players' minds racing with possibilities. "That could be the final piece," defensive end Shaun Ellis said. "We've been searching for a corner, everybody knows that. If he could come to our team, it would be a major upgrade."

Barring any negotiating setbacks or problems uncovered in a physical exam that could take place as early as today at Hofstra, Law is poised to become the most important free-agent acquisition of the Terry Bradway-Herman Edwards era. An announcement could be made as early as tomorrow, although a person close to the talks cautioned that the process could drag on because there are so many moving parts.

The Jets and Law's agent, Carl Poston, recently came to terms quickly on key parameters of a multiyear contract. The deal was so close that assistant general manager Mike Tannenbaum stayed behind in Hempstead to continue hammering out details.

Martin, who is close friends with Law, said yesterday he hadn't spoken with the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback in the past 48 hours. But Martin isn't worried about Law's ability to come back from a foot fracture and ligament damage that shelved him for nine games last season.

"He's the type of guy who has too much pride to get embarrassed," Martin said. "The way he competes is something that I like, something that I admire."

Defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson said only, "I hope we get him." But Henderson, who already calls blitzes with abandon, would have even more freedom to exert pressure with Law locking down half the field.

"I'm sure Donnie would love to have a guy like him out there who could match up one-on-one and bring the blitzes in a number of different ways," backup quarterback Jay Fiedler said. "I'd love to see him on my side of the field for a change."

Notes & quotes: WRs Wayne Chrebet (strained hamstring) and Jonathan Carter (strained knee) sat out the afternoon practice ... CB Ray Mickens banged his knee in the morning practice. He could have gone in the afternoon but was held out as a precaution ... Jets players slept on cots and mattresses in a nearby gymnasium between practices. "It was prehistoric," Edwards said ... Rookie WR Harry Williams, whom Edwards calls Willie Mays Hayes because of his speed, made several flashy plays in the afternoon.

Archived