Mysteries to Me

stoicsentry

1. Who is Plaxico Burress, really?

My initial impression was a solid #2 receiver, but the way he's performed so far, we may be looking at the #1 of olden days. The upside is #1, the downside is #3. Where he falls will make a ton of difference for this team.

2. Is this the year for Greene?

The coaching staff says that Greene will take the bull by the horns this season. Can he? Will he remain healthy all season, if he's asked to shoulder the load?

3. What happened with Cotchery?

What was it that actually happened with Cotchery---behind the scenes? Clearly "opportunity" was not the issue, as Jerricho is now buried further down the Steelers depth chart than he was on the Jets chart.

4. Why would the Pats pay Ellis that much?

I love the guy. One of my all time favorite Jets, but that contract was ludicrous.

5. Why didn't the Jets re-sign Weatherford?

Seriously. Why not?

6. Why re-sign Folk?

Does he make you as nervous as me? Why bring him back?

7. Where did we get this depth?

With MTV, Ropati P. and Ellis on the bench, this d-line is stacked.

8. Pool and Smith

Who do the Jets actually intend to start?

1. 100% of Plax is a top notch #1 receiver. 80#of Plax is a #1, but a top notch #2.

2. I think he can, but I dont think he has to.

3. Cotchery asked to be released. Maybe pursuing Mason and Plax upset him. Dont know, dont care.

4. The Pats are scared of the NY Jets.

5. Good question, he was one of the better punters in the league at pinning teams.

6. He makes me nervous, I think thats why they have Novak here. Competition is good.

7. Dline is very deep. Great job by the scouting dept.

8. Smith. They paid him starter money. Scary. Hopefully he's the guy we saw toward the end of the season.

1. I think hell have days where he is a 1, days where he looks like a 2, and a few days where he is a 3. No different than Edwards, though hell be a better goal line player.

2. No and No

3. I think he was really upset with his role the last two years and Im sure the paycut thought was at least broached. Even if they will only get the same money on the open market (which is all J-Co got) I think people would rather move on.

4. I think Belichick has always loved him. If you can pay whatever and they dont hurt your future cap its really no big deal.

5. I think that asinine fake punt opened the door to kick him out and then he was terrible enough down the stretch to get kicked out.

6. He sucks. I think the Jets will get a guy off the scrap heap when cuts start

7. Ill wait to see it in the regular season. Im still very lukewarm on this group.

8. Smith until he runs over his second tight end at the goalline for a PI call. So around week 4 or 5 for Smith then Pool.

1. I never got the impression that Burress was a #2. I feel that he is a #1, but I don't expect to be able to count on him to consistently provide that level of play. I think he is going to be a beast when he goes, but I don't know how far we'll be able to ride him. The good news is that we don't need to ride him at all.

2. I think he Greene is capable, but I'm not sure if he'll be able to step up full time. I think I feel about Greene more like what you feel about Burress. I think the team is prepared for him not to step up, but if he does it will be a huge lift.

3. Cotchery wanted out. I don't think they were going to keep him at that salary. If he was insulted or slighted, sorry. Good luck to him, but it's not a big deal to me.

4. I wonder what other deals were offered to Ellis. I think people are making a bit much of these one year/short term deals. I don't think teams are scared to spend, but they are scared of having big Chad Pennington contracts hanging over their heads for years. It's why I don't have a problem with the Burress deal even if it doesn't pan out.

5. I don't think it's a big deal. I don't think they liked him that much and he signed while they were still saving every last cent for Asomugha. The difference between Conley and Weatherford isn't anything like the difference between Cromartie and Asomugha. The Giants still might cut him.

6. Folk doesn't bother me at all. I can take him or leave him. He'll kick okay or they will pick somebody up.

7. I like the defensive linemen. Wasn't the consensus was that they all sucked except the draft picks? I think they will rotate a ton, but I think there will be some growing pains/stupid mistakes - like the goalline stand that set Rex off.

8. Looks like Smith is getting more every down run. I think they will rotate them all so much depending on opponent that it won't matter much, but he's looked better so far.

1. Who is Plaxico Burress, really?

My initial impression was a solid #2 receiver, but the way he's performed so far, we may be looking at the #1 of olden days. The upside is #1, the downside is #3. Where he falls will make a ton of difference for this team.

2. Is this the year for Greene?

The coaching staff says that Greene will take the bull by the horns this season. Can he? Will he remain healthy all season, if he's asked to shoulder the load?

3. What happened with Cotchery?

What was it that actually happened with Cotchery---behind the scenes? Clearly "opportunity" was not the issue, as Jerricho is now buried further down the Steelers depth chart than he was on the Jets chart.

4. Why would the Pats pay Ellis that much?

I love the guy. One of my all time favorite Jets, but that contract was ludicrous.

5. Why didn't the Jets re-sign Weatherford?

Seriously. Why not?

6. Why re-sign Folk?

Does he make you as nervous as me? Why bring him back?

7. Where did we get this depth?

With MTV, Ropati P. and Ellis on the bench, this d-line is stacked.

8. Pool and Smith

Who do the Jets actually intend to start?

1. Plax, prounounced Plex, will be #2 in much the same way as Moss was #2 to Welker. He will make an impact in some games, demand deep coverage in others freeing up Holmes and Mason. Don't think he'll have the burners, but his height increases his range significantly. As a #2 he'll create matchup problems, leading to a big year for Holmes.

2.Greene will start, but I suspect this is still going to be a platoon backfield. Shonn will get the most work, but not all of the work, keeping him fresh for the home stretch.

3.Cotchery was upset about something. Your guess is as good as mine what that was. So, no answer here.

4.Ellis was paid to piss off the New Yark Jets and their fanbase. He was a Brady killer. Now he'd a Pat after so many years in green and white. It hurts us all, and that's why it was done. Belly is a Dooshey.

5.Because they are foolish. Weatherford is better than our current camp fodder. He was also well-liked and well-spoken. Sometimes being well-spoken can get a kicker fired (Jay Feely?)

6.Novak FTW. Folk's days are numbered.

7. Depth is a relative term. We have rookies and practice squud players at teh position. Some can ball--but there will be growing pains.

8. Smith will start. He is a big hitter, big presence in the run game and has progressed in coverage. He is better than Leonhard. The truth is, Poole should be Leonhard's competition, not Smith's.

Archived