WR dept. ~ ~ ~

kelly

Jets have one wide receiver slot left, and time is running out

Published: Friday, August 26, 2011, 4:00 AM

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

9930363-large.jpgWilliam Perlman/The Star-LedgerLogan Payne is one of the players fighting for the Jets' fifth and final wide receiver spot. The team's first roster cut is set for Tuesday.

Somewhere between Logan Payne’s first and fourth time on the bubble, he learned to step aside from the frantic math that dampened the days heading into roster cuts.

The Jets wide receiver remembers seeing players cross-reference rosters from years past to gauge how many the team might keep in one particular position group.

In those times, he said, it’s easy to let the fluctuation in one’s training camp stock, sometimes caused by a false start or a dropped catch, become haunting.

“Sometimes you can see the look on their faces; you know it’s in the back of their minds once the cuts really start to happen,” Jets receivers coach Henry Ellard said of cutdown time. “They’re just kind of sitting there like, ‘Is he coming for me? What’s going on?’ ”

This year, Ellard said the magic number for receivers is five, with the race for the final slot — joining Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress, Derrick Mason and Jeremy Kerley — proving one of the tightest heading into the first roster cut deadline Tuesday.

Teams need to slim from 90 to 75, according to the league calendar. Four days later, on Sept. 3, they will shrink to the regular-season 53-man roster.

Who will get that last receiver spot? Maybe it will be the dependable hands of Payne, who was picked by the Jets last year to bulk up their practice squad. Or Patrick Turner, a 6-5 former third-round pick also on last year’s practice squad, who is second on the team in preseason receptions (seven) and has one of its four receiving touchdowns.

Rookie Dan DePalma, a Verona native, caught the eye of special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff for his ability to return punts. He currently leads the team in preseason yards per return (12.8), and for longest return (22 yards). Only Kerley, the rookie fifth-round pick who is projected as the team’s punt and kick returner, has more attempts.

And that’s without mentioning seventh-round pick Scotty McKnight, rookie and Edison native Michael Campbell, and 6-5 undrafted free agent Courtney Smith, the first player in South Alabama history to get a Senior Bowl invitation.

“Everyone talks,” said Payne, who made the Seattle Seahawks’ 53-man roster in 2008 before bouncing to practice squads in Detroit, Kansas City, Minnesota and the Jets. “But the best thing you can do is not count numbers. You can’t let doubt creep up on you.”

More coverage:

Complete Jets coverage on NJ.com

Jets videos

Jets photos

It reminds McKnight of the Trabuco Canyon (Calif.) Little League draft. In front of prospective coaches, hordes of area kids would cycle through different stations, hitting 15 balls, fielding grounders, catching pop flies and running the bases.

Aside from an AAU basketball tryout in high school, it’s one of the last times he can remember a controlled performance determining whether he could play.

“You’re basically trying to sell yourself as a player, like, ‘Hey, you guys can use me,’ ” McKnight said.

Some take solace in special teams. During a meeting earlier this week, coach Rex Ryan called attention to the younger players and told them the Jets had their starters figured out already, and that their way onto the roster would be through the kickoff unit or field goal team.

McKnight hopped on the scout punt return team working as a flier, sprinting down field while trying to pry himself loose from two blockers.

Others find comfort in a phone call home. Turner, a longtime friend of McKnight’s, said he talks to his mom and dad regularly, just to help sort everything out. Taking Payne’s advice, the conversations are never really about roster numbers.

“We don’t even really talk about football too much,” Turner said. “You know, just to clear it out (of the mind).”

Conor Orr:
corr@starledger.com

This is the first I've heard that they will have only 5 WRs on the 53. Likely means at least two on the practice squad. I thought they would keep 6 on the roster, and perhaps they will. Ellard is smart to say 5, not matter where the truth lies. He wants these guys to keep the pedal down,

My guess is Payne makes the 53, as I do not think he is not eligible for the PS, but it could easily be Turner or both. I think McKnight will make the PS for sure, and I would speculate that DePalma lands there too as insurance for Kerley.

Archived