Jets News 9-21

flgreen

Tanny expects Ducasse to be "great"

September, 20, 2011

Sep 20

9:41

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Jets Nation is down on second-year OLM Vladimir Ducasse, a former second-round pick still is finding his way after another tough preseason. Despite the rough start to his career, he still has a huge supporter in GM Mike Tannenbaum.

"I think Vlad is going to have a great career," Tannenbaum told ESPNNewYork.com. "I feel really good about him. He's like the other guys we drafted in 2010 (Kyle Wilson, Joe McKnight and John Conner). They still haven't had an off-season program."

That is quite an endorsement from Tannenbaum, usually not one for hyperbole. He didn't say "good" career. He didn't say "very good." He said "great."

Hey, who knows? If RT Wayne Hunter continues to struggle, maybe Ducasse will get a shot sooner than anyone expects.

Never been a better time to be a Jets fan

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 1:17 AM, September 21, 2011

Posted: 12:34 AM, September 21, 2011

More Print

headshotBrian Costello

ON THE JETS

Jets fans are a pessimistic lot by nature. Much like their Mets fan cousins, it's in their DNA. Even when things are good, they look for the bad.

After Sunday's 32-3 dismantling of the Jaguars, there was talk about the things the Jets didn't do well: running the ball poorly, not finding Plaxico Burress, settling for too many field goals . . .

Just stop. Enjoy this team.

This might be startling for the half-empty sect, but this is the golden age of the Jets. It never has been better. Bruce Springsteen should write a song about it.

Since Rex Ryan took over as coach in 2009, the Jets are 26-14, including the playoffs. The only other 40-game stretches that have been better came from 1967-69. If the Jets reach the playoffs this year, it will be the first time in franchise history they have made three straight postseason trips.

MARK UP: The happy marriage between quarterback Mark Sanchez (above) and coach Rex Ryan has taken the Jets to the AFC Championship Game for two straight seasons and has them playing as if they'll be headed back to the playoffs again this season.

MARK UP: The happy marriage between quarterback Mark Sanchez (above) and coach Rex Ryan has taken the Jets to the AFC Championship Game for two straight seasons and has them playing as if they'll be headed back to the playoffs again this season.

Now, there is a glaring hole in the trophy case that has to be filled for this to truly be Gang Green Utopia. But, even without the Lombardi Trophy, Jets fans have plenty to smile about.

They get to watch the greatest defensive player in team history in cornerback Darrelle Revis. Mark Sanchez is going to be this team's starting quarterback for a long time, and could be quite good. Surrounding tthem are key pieces: center Nick Mangold, tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, linebacker David Harris and tight end Dustin Keller. All are young, talented and, other than Keller, locked up under contract for the next few years.

Then, there's Ryan. If he does finally get the trip to the Rose Garden, Jets fans will petition to have streets named after him. Ryan could be the defining coach in Jets history, one the fans can call their own. The Jets have never had a Gil Hodges or Al Arbour. The greatest coaches in Jets history all had roots somewhere else. Weeb Ewbank pulled off the miracle of Super Bowl III, but he is best remembered for winning with Johnny Unitas and the Colts in Baltimore. Bill Parcells brought the Jets back to respectability, but he always looked more comfortable in blue and red than in green and white.

Since Ryan arrived in January of 2009, he has turned the culture around, making the Jets the cocky kids on the block rather than the ones waiting for disaster to strike. He has taken the Jets to two consecutive AFC title games, or the same number they went to in the 27 years before he arrived.

He and Sanchez give the Jets stability at coach and quarterback, something that has been missing since the days of Joe Namath and Ewbank. At times, it looked like the Jets might have it with Richard Todd and Walt Michaels or Ken O'Brien and Joe Walton or Chad Pennington and Herm Edwards. Each time it fizzled. The Sanchez-Ryan marriage feels like

The period between 1967-69 is the only other in Jets history that compares with this current stretch. They fell just short in the AFL in 1967, when nine Namath interceptions led to three late-season losses. They won it all in 1968, and went back to the AFL playoffs in 1969.

Here's the difference between then and now, though. The franchise was in its infancy then. It had not even been around a decade. Depending on their age, today's Jets fans have lived through Lou Holtz, the Mud Bowl, the Fake Spike and Rich Kotite.

All of that pain and embarrassment should make these moments that much sweeter. The Jets are now the punchers, not the punch line.

21.1s086.costello1--300x450.jpg

Getty Images

So, savor this time. Tell your disbelieving kids there was a time when the Jets did not contend for the playoffs every year. It's never been better to be a Jets fan.

Ryan's Gang at its best out West

Jets players found a note hanging in their lockers Monday on how to prepare for this week's cross-country trip: Get eight hours of sleep a night and be well-hydrated for the flight.

When the Jets travel to Oakland on Friday, they won't have the baggage that used to accompany this team to the West Coast. Under Rex Ryan, the Jets have gone 3-0 in road games against AFC West teams.

The Jets' woes out West became a story in 2008 when Ryan's predecessor, Eric Mangini, went 0-4 in games at San Diego, Oakland, San Francisco and Seattle.

Ryan's philosophy is simple.

"If you bring a good team with you, you have a chance," Ryan said. "I think that's the big thing and that's what we bring to the road. We're bringing a good football team with us. We're not intimidated by any surroundings that we go into."

Trying to force the issue

Here's what I find troubling about the Jets trying to force a touchdown to Plaxico Burress on Sunday. Why did the coaching staff feel the need to do it?

It's almost like they anticipated Burress being upset he did not have a pass thrown his way, so they tried to make a preemptive strike. But this wasn't like getting a senior a catch in the big homecoming game. This was an NFL game that counts, and Mark San chez nearly got killed thanks to right tackle Wayne Hunter whiffing on a block.

Burress has been well-behaved with the Jets, as far as we know. There have been no reports of being late to a meeting or breaking any rules. Burress, for his part, did not complain publicly about having an 0-fer in the game.

This is the danger of the Jets' roster. With that much talent come that many egos. Sanchez said in training camp he was not going to be worried about making everyone happy, that he would throw to the open man. But in the first game, he went to Burress and Derrick Mason and told them he would get them the ball. Then, Sunday they forced it to Burress.

Everyone is watching this chemistry experiment, waiting for an explosion.

Jets' look ahead: Week 3 vs. Oakland

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Record

Raiders (1-1) vs. Jets (2-0)

At Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum

Sunday, 4 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2 Radio: ESPN-AM 1050

Line: Jets by 3 1/2

Matchup

Counting playoffs, the road warrior Jets are 15-7 on the field and 14-8 against the spread away from home under coach Rex Ryan. This will be their third trip in four years to Oakland, but that pales in comparison to the span from 1999 to 2003, in which the Jets traveled to Oakland seven times — including two playoff losses. Jets begin stretch of three consecutive road games, something they haven't done in the regular season since 1982, when they went 1-2 against Miami, Minnesota and Kansas City.

On the hot seat

Bill Callahan: Callahan, whose title is assistant head coach/offensive line, is one of the best O-line gurus in all of football. And he'll have his work cut out for him this week in trying to get C Colin Baxter, the likely starter in place of the injured Nick Mangold, up to speed. Callahan also has plenty of work to do with the line as a whole, as the Jets' running game has sputtered to an output of 3 yards per carry thus far. New RT Wayne Hunter struggled again last week with two penalties totaling 25 yards.

Game plan

Maybe this is the week the Jets finally get the ground-and-pound untracked, considering Oakland allowed a whopping 8.7 yards a carry in a 38-35 loss to Buffalo on Sunday. The Bills rallied from a 21-3 halftime deficit by scoring a touchdown on every second-half possession, something that hadn't been done since Pittsburgh accomplished the feat in 2007 (according to the Elias Sports Bureau). But the Raiders had little trouble moving the ball either, racking up 454 yards and 26 first downs. And the Jets must put some pressure on veteran Oakland QB Jason Campbell, who threw for 323 yards against the Bills and isn't likely to make the dumb mistakes that Jacksonville's Luke McCown did against the Jets.

— J.P. Pelzman

NY Jets haven't shown commitment to run, while Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson struggle

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, September 21st 2011, 2:05 AM

Shonn Greene looks to take off, but so far the Jets ground game is going nowhere.

Jim McIsaac/Getty

For all the talk that the Jets are a run-first team, they haven't adhered to the ground-and-pound philosophy through the first two weeks. Whether it's Mark Sanchez's evolution or the coaching staff's desire to better utilize the options around him, the commitment to the run has been lukewarm. Gang Green is tied for 17th in the league in rushing attempts after finishing first and second in that category the past two seasons.

The Jets' running backs, of course, haven't made the most of their opportunities. Shonn Greene has gained just 75 yards and averaged 2.9 yards per carry in his first two games as the feature back. After leading the NFL in rushing in 2009 (172 yards per game) and finishing fourth last season (148 ypg), Rex Ryan's team is 28th in rushing through two games. Gang Green's 3.0 yards per carry, tied for 27th, is exactly half of the Eagles' league-high average.

"I think we're close," Ryan said of the status of the running game. "I think we are. I think we're getting better each week, and quite honestly, when you go back and really look at it, it's not like we're humming on all cylinders to start the season. We get a little bit better each week and we then finally find our grove. Our confidence in our running game will take off."

Although the Jets averaged 4.5 yards per play on first down in their 32-3 laugher over the Jaguars on Sunday, the run game didn't contribute much. Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson averaged 2.0 yards per carry on first down (13 carries for 26yards).

A Daily News game tape review revealed that Greene and Tomlinson, who combined for 57 yards on 22 carries (2.6 ypc), struggled despite facing eight men in the box on only 16% of the run play snaps. The pair rushed for 45 yards on 16 carries (2.8 ypc) when facing fewer than eight men in the box.

"For our offensive line to have (those types of numbers), it's disappointing," left guard Matt Slauson said. "A lot of teams know that we can run the ball, so they do a lot of things to try to stop that. I wasn't pleased with my performance. I did what it took to win, but I want to go out there and dominate guys. I don't want to just get by."

Greene also performed better in single-back sets, with 41 yards on 10 carries, than he did running behind fullback John Conner. Greene had six carries for 13 yards and a touchdown with a lead blocker.

It didn't help matters that the offense committed five penalties against Jacksonville.

"There's some areas to clean up," right guard Brandon Moore said. "Penalties put us behind a little bit, (which) makes it tough on the play callers (having) long distances on first downs. For the most part, it was decent. We'll get better as the season goes along. We have to go back and get our work done."

McNEIL RUNS TO RING

Jets' all-time greats Freeman McNeil, Al Toon, Larry Grantham and Gerry Philbin will be inducted into the team's "Ring of Honor" during the Monday night game against the Dolphins on Oct. 17, according to a source. Those four will be added the inaugural six-member class that was honored last season. McNeil trails only Curtis Martin on the franchise rushing list. Toon is the third-leading wide receiver in franchise history. Philbin and Grantham were defensive stalwarts on the Jets' Super BowlIII-winning team.

REST OF WEST

Ryan will stick to his plan of traveling to Oakland on Friday and making sure his team stays on East Coast time during the trip. Gang Green is 2-0 on the West Coast under Ryan, including a playoff win in San Diego two years ago.

"If you bring a good team with you, you have a chance," Ryan said of the team's road success. "That's what we bring to the road. We're bringing a good football team with us. We're not intimidated by any surroundings that we go into. Now, we've been together for (three years). We know what it takes. We know how to prepare going on the West Coast, so we're confident on the road."

GETTING DOWN

Ryan isn't kidding when he stresses that the Jets have much more than a 3-4 defense. A game tape review revealed that Gang Green actually played more snaps with four down linemen (14) than three (11) in the first half. Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine even played one snap in the first half with only two down linemen. In three quarters (before garbage time), the Jets used three down linemen on 20 snaps and four on 17 snaps.

ROOKIE LOOKIE

Sanchez told ESPN radio that rookie center Colin Baxter was at the team facility early in the day watching film with injured All-Pro Nick Mangold, who will miss Sunday's game with a high ankle sprain. Sanchez also said that his bruised right arm is fine and that he will play Sunday against the Raiders.

WR Scotty McKnight and LB Matthias Berning were signed to the practice squad.

BETTER TO RECEIVE

Ryan admitted that he may choose to receive the ball more often when the Jets win the coin toss. He opted to receive the ball last Sunday to help jump-start a Gang Green offense that hadn't scored a first-quarter touchdown for 16 consecutive games. The Jets ended the drought by finding the end zone on the opening drive of the game.

"I think we could switch it up sometimes," Ryan said of not always putting his defense on the field first. "I wanted to issue the challenge to our guys and they stepped up and did it. After they scored, they were kind of giving me the business."

Wed Sep 21 02:47am EDT

The Shutdown Corner Interview: Jim Leonhard, Part 2

By Doug Farrar

Jim Leonhard(notes) is now the marquee starting safety for the New York Jets, but he had to take a long and circuitous path to get there. He was a walk-on at the University of Wisconsin, though he became a three-time first-team Big-10 player once he got there. And despite what he did in college, the undersized (5-foot-8, 188 pounds) Leonhard found it impossible to get on anyone's radar in the draft.

He spent three years with the Buffalo Bills, signed with the Baltimore Ravens and defensive coordinator Rex Ryan in 2008, and then followed Ryan to the Jets in 2009. Against pretty tremendous odds, he's become one of the better players at his position at a time when safeties have become more important to the game than ever.

It was our pleasure to talk with Jim recently — we were able to cover enough subjects to put together a two-part interview. You can find Part 1 here. In the conclusion of our interview, Jim discusses how he plans to bounce back from a 2010 season that didn't turn out the way he wanted, what he's learned about determination in his life, and just how much the safety position has changed since he made it to the NFL in 2005.

Shutdown Corner: The safety position has obviously becomes one of the most important in the game today — we see this with the mega-deals given to Eric Weddle(notes) and Troy Polamalu(notes), young players like Eric Berry(notes) and Earl Thomas(notes) making such a difference, and the effect it's had on teams when guys like Polamalu, Berry, and you have been out for a while with injuries. How have you seen the safety position change since you came into the league in 2005?

Jim Leonhard: Well, the game is much more of a wide-open, spread game than it used to be. And you're seeing your traditional strong safety, in the box, near the line of scrimmage safety … that position is very rare nowadays. Because if you can't move, if you can't cover tight ends, if you can't cover deep halves in the middle of the field, you're going to get run out of the league. So, I think you're seeing a huge shift in personnel and how teams are using their safeties. You have to not only stick it up there in the running game, but you also have to able to run and cover receivers.

SC: You went from college walk-on to three-time first-team all Big-10. Then you were an undrafted rookie coming out of the University of Wisconsin — how much of a chip did that put on your shoulder, and did the NFL game come more naturally to you that maybe you expected? Because you played well right from the start.

JL: I definitely had a chip on my shoulder, coming out of high school and college. I felt that I was overlooked, even though I had a lot of success, but that only takes you so far. Being undersized, you have to learn the game. You have to understand how to make different situations favorable to you, because otherwise, you're going to get beat, and you're not going to stick around. So, I definitely credit my being undersized as the reason I really had to learn the game. You'd better have good instincts, or you're really going to be off base. So, I definitely had that chip on my shoulder early in my career, but now, it's all about the Super Bowl and chasing that ring.

SC: Right, and your injury absence really seemed to affect the team down the stretch in 2010, which emphasized your importance. In two straight years, the Jets have come up one game short of the Super Bowl. Everything seems to be in line for the Jets to win it all, but how do you get to that next step?

JL: We've got to close the year off. It's tough to go on the road and win three games in a row against the best teams in the league and in your division. We want to get some home playoff games, first of all, and then, we have got to close that AFC Championship game out. In each of those games, we've played two games very well, and two games very poorly. So, we need to figure out whatever it to close it off and get a victory.

SC: You replaced guys like Ko Simpson(notes) and Dawan Landry(notes) on your way up the NFL ladder before you were a full-time starter, and you made the most of the chances you were given. What would you like to say to younger players at any level about the importance of seizing opportunity whenever it comes?

JL: I think the biggest thing is just that you never know when your opportunity is going to come. You can never assume that, "Well, you know, next year is going to be the year." Injuries happen, bad plays happen in front you … you never know what the reason is. But you're usually not handed that spot; you have to go out there and get it. I've always been prepared when it came up, and I'm very fortunate that I've had that success when my number was called.

SC: I wanted to get a few quick scouting reports from you before we wrap this up, First, Mark Sanchez(notes)…

JL: Sanchez? He's taking that step in his third year in an NFL offense. He's ready to break out.

SC: Darrelle Revis(notes)?

JL: The best in the business. That's all there is to it.

SC: And how about that Jim Leonhard guy? What's he looking like these days?

JL: He's going to make a strong comeback; you'd better believe that. He wasn't happy at how things turned out last season, so he's ready to make a strong run.

Cro: I'm better playmaker than Nnamdi

September, 21, 2011

Sep 21

8:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

When Antonio Cromartie re-signed with the Jets, he was beseiged with questions about Nnamdi Asomugha, the team's first choice to start opposite Darrelle Revis.

That was nothing. If Cromartie had signed with the Raiders, Asomugha's former team, the comparisons to the All-Pro cornerback would've been non-stop. The Raiders, whom the Jets play Sunday in Oakland, were hot for Cromartie during free agency. It came down to Jets and Raiders.

Frankly, Cromartie believes the Asomugha comparisons would've been off base. Why? Because in one respect, Cromartie thinks he's better than Nnamdi. Yeah, that's right, better.

"My style of play and his style of play are totally different," Cromartie told ESPNNewYork.com. "I feel I'm more of a playmaker than he is."

Cromartie is confident, and why not? He's coming off one of the best games by a Jets cornerback in recent memory, a two-interception game against the Jaguars. So far, the Jets' four-year, $32 million contract for Cromartie looks like a solid investment.

The Raiders, who lost Asomugha in free agency, went hard after Cromartie. He's an Al Davis kind of player -- fast, freakishly athletic and a man-to-man corner. For Cromartie, the decision came down to a shot at the Super Bowl. Evidently, he didn't think the Raiders are close.

"For me, it was about being able to win now, having a chance to win the Super Bowl," Cromartie said. "Oakland is an up-and-coming team and coach (Hue) Jackson is doing a great job. They're a team that, in the near future, is going to be a great team.

"They were trying to sell me that I could be one of their No. 1 corners (with Stanford Routt), but here, with the Jets, I feel like we have two No. 1 corners -- 1A and 1B."

Scouting the Raiders

September, 21, 2011

Sep 21

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Some quick takes on the Jets' next opponent, the Raiders (1-1), coming off a devastating 38-35 loss to the upstart Bills:

• The Jets will get the Raiders' best shot. Crushing loss in Week 2 + home opener in Week 3 = lots of emotion for the Silver and Black.

• How bad was the loss? The Raiders blew a 21-3 lead, allowing the Bills to score on every possession (five touchdowns) in the second half. That doesn't happen too often. In fact, the last team to score on every second-half possession was the '07 Steelers.

• The Raiders' defense has to be feeling like the Jets felt last week, except worse because they lost the game. The 38 points they allowed was the most in an Oakland loss since 1998. Think they miss Nnamdi Asomugha or what?

• Jason Campbell is a competent quarterback. He handles pressure well and he's been on the money inside the numbers, which could pose problems for the Jets. He's thrown only two passes outside the pocket, according to ESPN Stats and Information. The Jets could use overload blitzes to get him on the move.

• The Raiders still like to go vertical; some things never change. Campbell average 9.9 in air yards per attempt, according to ESPN Stats, second only to the Panthers' Cam Newton.

• The Raiders are as undisciplined as ever. They've already committed 23 penalties for 236 yards. Like we said, some things never change.

• Their receiving corps is decimated by injuries. Against the Bills, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Louis Murphy and Jacoby Ford sat out with injuries. So did former Giants TE Kevin Boss. But the Raiders may have discovered a gem in rookie WR Denarius Moore, who had five catches for 146 yards.

• Without question, the Jets' No. 1 concern is RB Darren McFadden, who can take it to the house every time he touches the ball. He's a one-cut runner with terrific long speed. He also can do damage as a receiver, which might be an issue for the Jets' pass coverage.

• The Raiders run a base 4-3 defense, with two cagey vets at tackle, Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly. At MLB, they have former first-round pick Rolando McClain. The three of them could make it a long day for Jets rookie C Colin Baxter, slated to replace the injured Nick Mangold.

Chad Pennington on Twitter about Jets “I got Fired!”

Posted by Erik Manassy on Sep 21, 2011 in Player Tweets | 0 Comments and 0 Reactions

Chad Pennington on Twitter about Jets “I got Fired!”

Chad Pennington joined Twitter a couple of weeks ago and has been a mild tweeter, but yesterday he was talking about the Dolphins. It’s been interesting to watch how Jets fans and Dolphins fans react to the former QB. Jets fans claim that they have always loved him and wish he would come back to a coaching compacity with Gang Green.

Dolphins fans tweet him telling him that Jets fans never loved him, and that he is a true Dolphin.

Chad tweeted in reaction to a Jets fan tweet where the fan said he has become a Dolphins Apologist. Apparently it struck a nerve and it started a conversation that lasted for quite a while among Jets fans and Chad tweeting reactions. Also Chad made sure to make sure that he didn’t “Run to the Enemy”, he made it clear that the NEW YORK JETS FIRED HIM.

Tanny on Ducasse: He Will Have a Great Career

by Bassett on September 21st, 2011 at 9:15 am

Vladimir Ducasse has had a tough start to his NFL career. After picking up football late as an immigrant from Haiti in Stamford CT, Ducasse played the game collegiately at UConn, and was drafted by the Jets in the second round. At the 2010 NFL Draft, we were told by an NFL insider that the Jets told Ducasse they’d even consider taking him in the first round … clearly a stretch of the truth on their part to the player, but something that they communicated to the Tackle. So far, Ducasse has languished on the bench, and when he has played – like he did in the preseason – it’s not been pretty.

Yesterday marked another milestone in Ducasse’s career versus expectations, as Mike Tannenbaum told ESPN New York that he was going to be “great” for the Jets.

Via ESPN NY.

Despite the rough start to his career, he still has a huge supporter in GM Mike Tannenbaum.

“I think Vlad is going to have a great career,” Tannenbaum told ESPNNewYork.com. “I feel really good about him. He’s like the other guys we drafted in 2010 (Kyle Wilson, Joe McKnight and John Conner). They still haven’t had an off-season program.”

Of course, Tanny didn’t specify what career …

It’s a nice sentiment, but somehow CB Devin McCourty and TE Rob Gronkowski – the two top picks in New England from the same draft class – have flourished as Patriots in the same time, so I’m not exactly going to say that an offseason program will be the panacea for Wilson or Ducasse. That’s idiotic. Either they’re good or they aren’t. They might become good, but Rex has made it abundantly clear that you don’t take guys at the top of your draft board to have them then sit on the bench.

Mike Tannenbaum is a shrewd dude. He knows how to manipulate public perceptions extremely well as evidenced by the leaking of the news that Ducasse was taking reps at Tackle and he was looking good at it. From what I saw this preseason, I don’t know what he saw last spring – other than the fact that he was about to cut Damien Woody. Still, I’m holding out hope for Ducasse, but any expectations I had for him are decreasing rapidly. He might have the body for it, but he’s still looking like he’s in that “analysis paralysis” stage – not good. But hey, with the way that Wayne Hunter has played so far the Jets in 2011, maybe we’ll see a switch? Hunter’s proven to be overmatched in both his regular season starts so far, as well as his preseason game against the Giants, so anything goes. Hunter did respond well at the end of last season, but I’m still not convinced he was the right guy for the Jets to have start 16 games this season.

Continuity is the lifeblood of any offensive line. Knowing the guy next to you, knowing his tendencies, knowing who’s responsible for whom is tantamount … and now with the injury to Mangold, this season looks like the Jets just can’t expect that level of consistency, and it’s going to be something that they struggle through for at least the first half of the season.

Sep 21st 2011

Vernon Gholston works out with Texans

AUTHOR: Marc A. Greenberg | IN: Jets | COMMENTS: None Yet |

Home » Jets » Vernon Gholston works out with Texans

Vernon Gholston continues to hang around.

The former New York Jets defenseman, and 6th overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft, worked out for the Houston Texans yesterday.

It’s still amazing to think that the now 25 year old, with immense expectations when he entered the league, could not register one sack as a Jet.

Gholston previously worked out with the Chicago Bears this season.

Tanny on Ducasse: He Will Have a Great Career

by Bassett on September 21st, 2011 at 9:15 am

Vladimir Ducasse has had a tough start to his NFL career. After picking up football late as an immigrant from Haiti in Stamford CT, Ducasse played the game collegiately at UConn, and was drafted by the Jets in the second round. At the 2010 NFL Draft, we were told by an NFL insider that the Jets told Ducasse they’d even consider taking him in the first round … clearly a stretch of the truth on their part to the player, but something that they communicated to the Tackle. So far, Ducasse has languished on the bench, and when he has played – like he did in the preseason – it’s not been pretty.

Yesterday marked another milestone in Ducasse’s career versus expectations, as Mike Tannenbaum told ESPN New York that he was going to be “great” for the Jets.

Via ESPN NY.

Despite the rough start to his career, he still has a huge supporter in GM Mike Tannenbaum.

“I think Vlad is going to have a great career,” Tannenbaum told ESPNNewYork.com. “I feel really good about him. He’s like the other guys we drafted in 2010 (Kyle Wilson, Joe McKnight and John Conner). They still haven’t had an off-season program.”

Of course, Tanny didn’t specify what career …

It’s a nice sentiment, but somehow CB Devin McCourty and TE Rob Gronkowski – the two top picks in New England from the same draft class – have flourished as Patriots in the same time, so I’m not exactly going to say that an offseason program will be the panacea for Wilson or Ducasse. That’s idiotic. Either they’re good or they aren’t. They might become good, but Rex has made it abundantly clear that you don’t take guys at the top of your draft board to have them then sit on the bench.

Mike Tannenbaum is a shrewd dude. He knows how to manipulate public perceptions extremely well as evidenced by the leaking of the news that Ducasse was taking reps at Tackle and he was looking good at it. From what I saw this preseason, I don’t know what he saw last spring – other than the fact that he was about to cut Damien Woody. Still, I’m holding out hope for Ducasse, but any expectations I had for him are decreasing rapidly. He might have the body for it, but he’s still looking like he’s in that “analysis paralysis” stage – not good. But hey, with the way that Wayne Hunter has played so far the Jets in 2011, maybe we’ll see a switch? Hunter’s proven to be overmatched in both his regular season starts so far, as well as his preseason game against the Giants, so anything goes. Hunter did respond well at the end of last season, but I’m still not convinced he was the right guy for the Jets to have start 16 games this season.

Continuity is the lifeblood of any offensive line. Knowing the guy next to you, knowing his tendencies, knowing who’s responsible for whom is tantamount … and now with the injury to Mangold, this season looks like the Jets just can’t expect that level of consistency, and it’s going to be something that they struggle through for at least the first half of the season.

Holy crap his article is a steaming pile of garbage, regardless of how badly you think Ducasse sucks. The bolded is really the best part, because it combines so many moments of idiocy into such a small area. The idea that a player either is or isn't good is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard and to lump Wilson and Ducasse in together proves he's either not watching the games or too stupid to understand that Wilson has had a hell of a start to the season. If he doesn't think Ducasse will become anything (and he certainly wouldn't be the only one), that's one thing, but his explanation for why is beyond moronic.

Holy crap his article is a steaming pile of garbage, regardless of how badly you think Ducasse sucks. The bolded is really the best part, because it combines so many moments of idiocy into such a small area. The idea that a player either is or isn't good is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard and to lump Wilson and Ducasse in together proves he's either not watching the games or too stupid to understand that Wilson has had a hell of a start to the season. If he doesn't think Ducasse will become anything (and he certainly wouldn't be the only one), that's one thing, but his explanation for why is beyond moronic.

BG I couldn't agree more. Thought the same thing when I read it. I'm kind of surprised because Bassett is usually writes pretty fair articles. Must have been in a bad day.

AFC East coach approval ratings

September, 21, 2011

Sep 21

11:00

AM ET

By James Walker

The AFC East is riding high with three undefeated teams. That reflected strongly in the division's rating for head coaches.

Here is the approval ratings for AFC East coaches heading into Week 3:

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots

Approval rating: 88 percent

Analysis: Life is good for Patriots fans. New England is winning big and quarterback Tom Brady is on a role. Belichick has the highest approval rating in the NFL. I'm curious what 12 percent of Patriots fans disapprove of. Perhaps it's the defense. But it's not costing New England any games.

Chan Gailey, Buffalo Bills

Approval rating: 85 percent

Analysis: Gailey is the toast of Buffalo after a surprising 2-0 start. He's the catalyst behind the Bills' explosive offense, which has scored 79 points in two games. Are the Bills a contender? We're about to find out. Buffalo will get the sternest test possible this week against the Patriots. Gailey has to be on his "A" to outsmart Belichick.

Rex Ryan, New York Jets

Approval rating: 66 percent

Analysis: New Yorkers are a tough crowd. The Jets are undefeated, ranked No. 3 in ESPN.com's Power Rankings, and came off a 32-3 thrashing of the Jacksonville Jaguars. But 34 percent of Jets fans are still unhappy. Yes, the Jets have flaws. The running game definitely needs to improve, for example. But Ryan is doing a good job and deserves a higher approval rating, in my opinion.

Tony Sparano, Miami Dolphins

Approval rating: 16 percent

Analysis: Sparano has the second-lowest approval rating of any head coach entering Week 3. Only Todd Haley of the Kansas City Chiefs is lower. The Dolphins dropped two games at home to start the season. Now, they're in a jam. Every other AFC East team is undefeated. Miami has to win now -- starting Sunday against the Cleveland Browns -- or it could be a long season.

AFC East coach approval ratings

September, 21, 2011

Sep 21

11:00

AM ET

By James Walker

The AFC East is riding high with three undefeated teams. That reflected strongly in the division's rating for head coaches.

Here is the approval ratings for AFC East coaches heading into Week 3:

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots

Approval rating: 88 percent

Analysis: Life is good for Patriots fans. New England is winning big and quarterback Tom Brady is on a role. Belichick has the highest approval rating in the NFL. I'm curious what 12 percent of Patriots fans disapprove of. Perhaps it's the defense. But it's not costing New England any games.

Chan Gailey, Buffalo Bills

Approval rating: 85 percent

Analysis: Gailey is the toast of Buffalo after a surprising 2-0 start. He's the catalyst behind the Bills' explosive offense, which has scored 79 points in two games. Are the Bills a contender? We're about to find out. Buffalo will get the sternest test possible this week against the Patriots. Gailey has to be on his "A" to outsmart Belichick.

Rex Ryan, New York Jets

Approval rating: 66 percent

Analysis: New Yorkers are a tough crowd. The Jets are undefeated, ranked No. 3 in ESPN.com's Power Rankings, and came off a 32-3 thrashing of the Jacksonville Jaguars. But 34 percent of Jets fans are still unhappy. Yes, the Jets have flaws. The running game definitely needs to improve, for example. But Ryan is doing a good job and deserves a higher approval rating, in my opinion.

Tony Sparano, Miami Dolphins

Approval rating: 16 percent

Analysis: Sparano has the second-lowest approval rating of any head coach entering Week 3. Only Todd Haley of the Kansas City Chiefs is lower. The Dolphins dropped two games at home to start the season. Now, they're in a jam. Every other AFC East team is undefeated. Miami has to win now -- starting Sunday against the Cleveland Browns -- or it could be a long season.

Who's approval rating? Certainly not Jets fans putting Rex behind Gailey. This James Walker for ESPN is the same guy that does the QB Rating every week and has Henne in front of Sanchez.

Do I detect an agenda here?

Raiders Open Home Slate Against the Jets

Posted 29 minutes ago

The Oakland Raiders' 2011 home opener is this Sunday at O.co Coliseum against the New York Jets.

DATE: Sunday, September 25, 2011, 1:05 p.m. PT | SITE: O.co Coliseum, Oakland, CA

THIS WEEK: The Oakland Raiders, members of the American Football Conference Western Division, are now in their 52nd season of pro football competition. The Silver and Black face a fellow original American Football League and current American Football Conference member for the third straight week in the 2011 regular season—the New York Jets—in the home opener at O.co Coliseum.

TELEVISION: This week’s game will be televised on CBS, with Jim Nantz handling play-by-play, and former NFL player Phil Simms as color analyst. If sold out per NFL blackout rules, the game will be broadcast in the Bay Area on KPIX Channel 5. The game will also air in Sacramento on KOVR Channel 13 as well as on KHSL in Chico, KION in Monterey and KJEO in Fresno.

RADIO: The game will air live on Raiders Radio Network originating on KITS LIVE 105.3 FM, the Silver and Black’s flagship for the multi-state Radio Network. Greg Papa and Raiders two-time Super Bowl winning head coach Tom Flores will man the booth for the 14th straight year. The radio pregame and postgame shows feature Raider Legends George Atkinson and David Humm.

SPANISH RADIO: Raider games in the 2011 airs in Spanish in the Bay Area on Radio station KCNL 104.9 FM with Fernando Arias and Ambrosio Rico handling announcing duties.

SERIES: The Raiders hold a 20-15-2 advantage over the Jets in regular season games since the teams first met as original members of the American Football League in 1960. The Jets were known as the Titans from 1960-62. The teams met in consecutive years from 1960-70 and twice a year from 1960-67.

CONNECTIONS

RAIDERS: Head coach Hue Jackson coached quarterbacks for Baltimore while Jets LB Bart Scott played there… Bob Wylie coached tight ends for the Jets from 1990-91…LB Darryl Blackstock played with Jets T D’Brickashaw Ferguson at Virginia…TE David Ausberry played with Jets QB Mark Sanchez, RB Joe McKnight, and WR Patrick Turner at USC… LB Kamerion Wimbley played with Jets CB Antonio Cromartie at Florida State…WR Chaz Schilens played with Jets QB Kevin O’Connell at San Diego State… RB Taiwan Jones played with CB Isaiah Trufant at Eastern Washington…TE Brandon Myers played with RB Shonn Greene at Iowa… RB Michael Bush was at Louisville while Jets assistant strength coach Bryan Dermody was there.

JETS: Jets assistant head coach coach Bill Callahan coached for the Raiders from 1998-2003, serving as head coach from 2002-03…Strength and conditioning coach Bill Hughan was with the Raiders from 2004-07…Head coach Rex Ryan coached at the University of Cincinnati alongside Raiders offensive line coach Bob Wylie in 1996…Ryan was defensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens while Hue Jackson was the quarterbacks coach from 2007-08…Rex Ryan’s brother, Rob Ryan, was the defensive coordinator for the Raiders from 2004-08…Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine coached for the Ravens with Hue Jackson from 2008-09 and Al Saunders from 2009-10…Defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman and defensive line coach Mark Carrier were also with the Ravens in 2008…Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff coached for the Dolphins with Raiders strength and conditioning coach Brad Roll from 1996-2000…LB Garrett McIntyre played at Fresno State…Jets T Wayne Hunter played at California then transferred to Hawaii and played alongside Raiders C Samson Satele…CB Donald Strickland is from San Francisco.

LAST WEEK: The Oakland Raiders played on the road for the second straight week, traveling to Buffalo to face the AFC East Bills on September 25. The Raiders lost to the Bills, 38-35. QB Jason Campbell threw for two touchdowns—a 12-yarder to RB Darren McFadden and a 50-yarder to rookie WR Denarius Moore—and rushed for one on a QB sneak. McFadden also rushed for a touchdown with a 5-yard run. RB Michael Bush accounted for the other score on a 1-yard run, with K Sebastian Janikowski converting on all five PATs.

NEXT WEEK: The Raiders face their fourth straight original American Football League opponent and play their fourth consecutive American Football Conference foe, taking on the New England Patriots on Sunday, October 2. The contest versus the Patriots will also mark the second straight contest versus a team that qualified for the postseason last year and the second straight opponent that started the season 2-0.

Jets take practice field without center Nick Mangold

Published: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 12:42 PM Updated: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 12:52 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

The Jets began preparations for this week's game at Oakland without center Nick Mangold on the practice field today, as expected.

Mangold suffered a high ankle sprain in Sunday's win against the Jaguars, which could keep him out for a period of weeks, although the six-year veteran told Rex Ryan he wants to play this week. Rookie Colin Baxter is expected to start in his place.

QB Mark Sanchez, who bruised his throwing arm Sunday on a hit from Jaguars DL Matt Roth, was participating in warm-ups without any noticeable wrap or sleeve on his arm.

LB David Harris (toe), WR Santonio Holmes (quad/knee) and S Eric Smith were taking part in individual drills during the portion of practice open to the media. All three played Sunday after being listed as questionable.

Sep 21st 2011

Giants Hixon tears ACL again

AUTHOR: Marc A. Greenberg |

Another year, another ACL injury for Dominik Hixon.

The New York Giants WR has reportedly re-injured the same ACL that caused him to miss the entire 2010 season and will be lost for the season.

Hixon tore his right ACL last spring and has rehabbed to the point where he was the Giants No. 3 WR this year.

The injury appeared to occur when he came down awkwardly on a TD catch against the Rams Monday Night.

The Giants visit the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium on Dec. 24.

Wednesday practice report: Mangold out, Sanchez in

September, 21, 2011

Sep 21

1:24

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

It was an unusual sight, not seeing No. 74 in the middle of the offensive line Wednesday at practice.

All-Pro center Nick Mangold hasn’t missed a game in five-plus seasons, but he suffered a high-ankle sprain Sunday and didn’t even make it to the practice field as the New York Jets began preparations for Sunday’s game in Oakland.

As expected, Colin Baxter, an undrafted rookie, worked with the starting unit. Although the Jets haven’t made it official, Baxter, acquired on waivers Sept. 4, will start against the Raiders. Mangold, who has started 82 consecutive games, could miss at least two games, sources said.

Sunday will mark only the second time since early 2006 that the Jets had to make an injury-related change on the offensive line.

Meanwhile, quarterback Mark Sanchez (bruised throwing arm) showed no ill effects from Sunday -- at least not during the portion of practice open to the media. Sanchez, hit hard late in the game by Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Matt Roth, didn’t have a wrap on his arm.

The Jets’ other key injured players all participated in practice -- wide receiver Santonio Holmes (knee/quadriceps), linebacker David Harris (toe) and safety Eric Smith (ankle).

Jets' Cromartie honored for big game

| More Print

10:39 AM, September 21, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie was named AFC Defensive Player of the Week after recording two interceptions Sunday against the Jaguars.

Cromartie had a rough opening game against the Cowboys, giving up two touchdowns. But he bounced back this week with a huge all-around performance in the Jets' 32-3 win over Jacksonville. Cromartie had three tackles to go along with the two interceptions. He nearly returned the second interception for a touchdown but went out of bounds at the 1-yard line. He also averaged 31.5 yards per kickoff return.

The Jets re-signed Cromartie this summer to a four-year, $32 million deal after they missed out on Nnamdi Asomugha. Cromartie came to the Jets before last season in a trade with the Chargers.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_cromartie_honored_for_big_game_JtuCAcs7eiKfVVkdgegFHL#ixzz1Yc1De8mY

Pitoitua Impressing His Teammates & Coaches

by Bassett on September 21st, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Ropati Pitoitua is a name that’s hard to say, but it’s a name that will pop up more and more for the Jets in the future. Back from a season ending injury last year, Pitoitua is becoming a big part of the rotation and his linemates appreciate what he can bring to the team.

Since he’s such a big guy, the concern was that he could pick up where he left off from last year, but also that he needs to play with a lower pad-level to be more effective. It’s a fact that Mike Pettine understands, but also isn’t getting too caught up on according to Rod Boone of Newsday.

“It’s huge,” defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. “He’s come back and has picked up exactly where he left off. He’s that guy. He’s high-motor, super strong. He’s a guy that, for as big as he is, sometimes you have to worry about his pad level, but he’s so strong that he can still pop up a little bit and still be effective. He’s a Jet and he plays like that. He’s passionate, he’s relentless.

“The phrase we use, he plays like his hair’s on fire. He doesn’t say a word. You can just tell he loves football, and that clearly makes him one of us.”

It’s a very interesting note that Pettine and the Jets aren’t going to overvalue the odd play with bad technique in comparison to the results that someone like Pitoitua can get. Pitoitua will likely remain a rotational player for the Jets, but he is an integral part of the Jets goal line and short yardage packages this season, and if he can continue to refine his game, he could see more time in rotation in the future.

Pelzman: Can Jet fill-in validate waiver claims?

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 Last updated: Wednesday September 21, 2011, 1:41 PM

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

On Sept. 4, five NFL teams were awarded three or more players off waiver claims. They are Carolina (five), Seattle (five), the Jets (four), Cincinnati (three) and Cleveland (three).

Now, class, which of these teams is unlike the others?

That’s right, the Jets, who are the only one of the five to post a winning record in the 2010 season. (Yes, the Seahawks reached the second round of the NFC playoffs, but that was because of the ineptitude of their division: the NFC West.)

There’s nothing at all wrong with turning over every stone in hopes of finding a hidden gem, and that certainly is what Jets’ general manager Mike Tannenbaum is hoping for. But as the numbers show, most teams that churn the bottom of their rosters that much are grasping at straws, hoping for someone, anyone, who might improve their struggling clubs.

And consider that of the 20 players the Jets have been awarded on waiver claims since May 2009, only five still are on the active roster. And none of them has become a starter or made a major contribution. In fact, the biggest news made by any of them occurred when wide receiver Patrick Turner accidentally collided with safety Jim Leonhard while the two were vying for a pass in practice in December, and Leonhard came down with a season-ending fractured leg.

But the tide could turn Sunday, and Tannenbaum might be proved a genius. Colin Baxter, claimed off waivers from San Diego on Sept. 4, is pretty much a lock to start at center against Oakland with three-time Pro Bowler Nick Mangold nursing a high ankle sprain. If Baxter can be effective in the rowdy atmosphere that permeates all Oakland Raiders’ home games and help the Jets to a road victory, he certainly would justify the approach of Tannenbaum and assistant GM Scott Cohen.

For that to happen, Baxter must play better than he did Sunday against Jacksonville, when he was thrust into the game immediately after Mangold limped off the field. In fact, as Mangold was being examined by trainers on the field, Baxter and quarterback Mark Sanchez were practicing snaps — something they hadn’t done before that day.

Baxter admitted Monday that he made a "couple of mental errors" in the game that he needs to "get cleaned up." One was a play in which he snapped the ball too quickly, throwing the entire play out of sync, resulting in running back Shonn Greene being nailed for a 5-yard loss. And there was another play on which defensive tackle Terrance Knighton manhandled Baxter one on one and then devoured LaDainian Tomlinson for a 3-yard loss.

It isn’t fair to ask Baxter to play up to Mangold’s lofty standards, but a week of first-team snaps in practice should help. And a competent performance by Baxter on Sunday would go a long way for an O-line that has struggled in 2011.

But if he doesn’t get the job done, the Jets always could go back to the waiver wire, right?

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Raiders wanted Jets DB coach

September, 21, 2011

Sep 21

2:21

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

When the Jets' season ended last January, they received an inquiry from the Raiders, who sought permission to speak with secondary coach Dennis Thurman about their defensive-coordinator vacancy. Rex Ryan denied the permission. By rule, he had that right.

On Wednesday, Raiders coach Hue Jackson was asked about the snub.

"I was a little surprised," he told the New York media on a conference call. "I’ve known Dennis for a long time. We go way back, worked together at USC; (we) have a personal relationship, but I understand the situation. You hate to lose good coaches, and Dennis (is) a very good coach for that football team.

"

If the organization has the opportunity to not let a coach move forward in his career, they can do so. So I do understand the rule, but I do understand that everybody does have aspirations and goals that they want to attain, and I know that’s something that Dennis wants to do, but obviously it didn’t work out this time."

It's interesting to think what might have happened if the Jets had let him go. With Thurman in Oakland, the Raiders would've had a better chance of recruiting free-agent CB Antonio Cromartie, who was coveted by the Silver & Black before re-signing with the Jets. Thurman played a key role in Cromartie staying, texting him every day during the team's ill-fated courtship of Nnamdi Asomugha.

If the Jets had lost Thurman and Cromartie ... you don't want to imagine that.

I thought Baxter played surprisingly well for a guy that comes in the game and you're like, "who the hell is this guy?"

I agree. I re watched the game to see how he did when I realized Mangold would be out. Couple of off timed snaps, needed some help, but all in all didn't embarrass himself.

The guy I'm worried about now is Moore. He has an UFA on his left, Hunter on his right. He is off a hip injury and not quite 100%.

Rex seems to have some confidence in Baxter, hopefully he and Hunter will both step it up. If they do Greene's play will improve. So will Sanchez's

I agree. I re watched the game to see how he did when I realized Mangold would be out. Couple of off timed snaps, needed some help, but all in all didn't embarrass himself.

The guy I'm worried about now is Moore. He has an UFA on his left, Hunter on his right. He is off a hip injury and not quite 100%.

Rex seems to have some confidence in Baxter, hopefully he and Hunter will both step it up. If they do Greene's play will improve. So will Sanchez's

I guess the tiny bright spot to be found here (again, small) is that Baxter might prove to be good depth for us after Mangold returns.

Raiders try to take advantage of Mangold injury (updated)

Defensive tackles Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly will have a leg up on bouncing back from a disappointing effort. Jets center Nick Mangold (ankle) is expected to miss at least two weeks with a high-ankle sprain, ESPNNewYork reports. Rookie Colin Baxter is expected to start in Mangold’s place Sunday against the Raiders.

(update) Jets coach Rex Ryan addressed it in Wednesday morning’s conference call with the beat writers.

“Well, just like Darrelle Revis is the best corner in football, Nick Mangold is the best center in football, so clearly that will hurt,” Ryan said. “There’s only one Nick Mangold in the league. But we’ve had to replace good players in the past. Revis went out for a couple of games last year. We had Kris Jenkins, was out, really played I think five games in two years.

“We’re a team, we’re not just individuals and all that stuff. We’re a team, we’ll replace them, next man steps up, as long as you’re wearing that Jet decal you’re expected to play at a certain level and a certain temperment, and the next guy will be Baxter and I’m sure he’ll do a good job.”

Baxter, 24, was signed Sept. 4 after being released by San Diego. “The biggest thing right now for him is going to be the playbook,” guard Matt Slauson told the New York times. “We’ve all been playing with Nick for so long now that everything’s easy. Everybody knows exactly how his feet are going to go, how our feet are going to go. Now Colin has to step in and get all of that.”

Against the Jaguars last week, Slauson and guard Brandon Moore assumed more calls at the line of scrimmage and communicated verbally instead of by hand signals — which they will probably do again against the Raiders.

Jets QB Mark Sanchez says throwing arm is fine, recalls hot dog incident in Oakland

Published: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 4:38 PM Updated: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 5:33 PM

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Mark Sanchez said he was not sure why he was listed on the team's injury report today after taking all of the snaps with the first-string offense (players who receive treatment show up regardless). He said there is no lingering pain in his throwing arm after bashing it off a Jacksonville defender's helmet on Sunday.

"I feel good, I feel good. Our training staff, they're the best. They have me ready to roll, I took every rep in practice so I feel good.

"I just banged it a little bit on a helmet. And you know, if you get your throwing motion and momentum going at a helmet it makes it hurt a little more and it freaks everybody out because it's your throwing shoulder, but honestly, it feels great."

Sanchez said that a lot of the hits he's taking -- he was tested for a concussion after Dallas, as well -- are his fault because he's trying to string out too many plays. He's learning to get rid of more passes to avoid those collisions in the future.

"Just trying to stand in there and get rid of the ball when I can, eliminate a lot of hits. Especially on the sideline just trying to string out a lot of plays. As competitive as I am, I want to get the best of a play and make sure to use it's full potential even when things break down. But sometimes you need to just say 'uncle' and let it go and avoid a hit.

"There's a handful of situations already in two games -- some hits I don't need to take -- and I'm taking them because I'm stringing out the play. I'm not worried about it, but we'll clean things up and I just need to get rid of the ball."

This will be Sanchez's first trip to Oakland since the notorious hot-dog incident that caught the then-rookie in a firestorm of criticism.

"I'll keep the food off the field," he joked. "It's just a good reminder of what playing quarterback in this league is like. I actually met the cameraman, he ended up saying sorry. He was like 'I feel bad, that turned into a big deal for you, huh?' And I was like 'You have no idea.' You laugh about it now and I knew we would at some point. It wasn't very respectful to the game or the guys playing and that's not the way I wanted it to be."

Aside from Logan Payne (wrist) and Rob Turner (broken leg), Nick Mangold (ankle) did not participate.

Players who were limited (some new additions here): DT Mike DeVito (shoulder), LB David Harris (toe), WR Santonio Holmes (quad), S Jim Leonhard (hamstring), S Eric Smith (ankle), DT Muhammad Wilkerson (shoulder).

Jets CB Antonio Cromartie won the AFC's defensive player of the week award after intercepting two passes against the Jaguars last Sunday.

Jets injury report

September, 21, 2011

Sep 21

5:08

PM ET

Email

Print

Comments

By Rich Cimini

Wednesday from Florham Park (new injuries in bold)

OUT: WR Logan Payne (wrist), C Rob Turner (leg).

DID NOT PRACTICE: C Nick Mangold (ankle).

LIMITED PARTICIPATION: DE Mike DeVito (shoulder), LB David Harris (toe), WR Santonio Holmes (quadriceps), S Jim Leonhard (hamstring), S Eric Smith (ankle), DE Mo Wilkerson (shoulder).

FULL PARTICIPATION: QB Mark Sanchez (elbow).

Scouting the Raiders

September, 21, 2011

Sep 21

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Some quick takes on the Jets' next opponent, the Raiders (1-1), coming off a devastating 38-35 loss to the upstart Bills:

• The Jets will get the Raiders' best shot. Crushing loss in Week 2 + home opener in Week 3 = lots of emotion for the Silver and Black.

• How bad was the loss? The Raiders blew a 21-3 lead, allowing the Bills to score on every possession (five touchdowns) in the second half. That doesn't happen too often. In fact, the last team to score on every second-half possession was the '07 Steelers.

• The Raiders' defense has to be feeling like the Jets felt last week, except worse because they lost the game. The 38 points they allowed was the most in an Oakland loss since 1998. Think they miss Nnamdi Asomugha or what?

• Jason Campbell is a competent quarterback. He handles pressure well and he's been on the money inside the numbers, which could pose problems for the Jets. He's thrown only two passes outside the pocket, according to ESPN Stats and Information. The Jets could use overload blitzes to get him on the move.

• The Raiders still like to go vertical; some things never change. Campbell average 9.9 in air yards per attempt, according to ESPN Stats, second only to the Panthers' Cam Newton.

• The Raiders are as undisciplined as ever. They've already committed 23 penalties for 236 yards. Like we said, some things never change.

• Their receiving corps is decimated by injuries. Against the Bills, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Louis Murphy and Jacoby Ford sat out with injuries. So did former Giants TE Kevin Boss. But the Raiders may have discovered a gem in rookie WR Denarius Moore, who had five catches for 146 yards.

• Without question, the Jets' No. 1 concern is RB Darren McFadden, who can take it to the house every time he touches the ball. He's a one-cut runner with terrific long speed. He also can do damage as a receiver, which might be an issue for the Jets' pass coverage.

• The Raiders run a base 4-3 defense, with two cagey vets at tackle, Richard Seymour and Tommy Kelly. At MLB, they have former first-round pick Rolando McClain. The three of them could make it a long day for Jets rookie C Colin Baxter, slated to replace the injured Nick Mangold.

point #3 is wrong, raiders gave up 38pts to our very own NYJETS in 2009's 38-0 loss (Sanchez's hot dog game) & aso was playing that game.

Archived