Jets News – 09/23/11

JetNation

logo.gif

As the Jets get set to travel to the West Coast for their match up against the Raiders, we are still waiting to hear if All-Pro Center Nick Mangold will be making the trip.  Brian Costello from the NY Post wrote yesterday that it doesn’t look like Nick will play.

With Mark Sanchez returning to the scene of his 2009 hot dog crime, there is no shortage of talk about it.

The NY Daily News takes a look at the Jets game plan vs the Raiders.

The Star Ledger talks about getting the ground and pound going in the right direction.

What are your game?

di</img>di</img>

ZX3G6ePmIYc

View the full article

Jets Notes: Mangold doubtful for Raiders

Friday, September 23, 2011

The Record

Mangold update

Nick Mangold had only the hint of a limp as he walked through the Jets' locker room Thursday afternoon, helped by the big walking boot on his right foot.

If only the NFL allowed those on game days, Mangold might have a decent chance of playing Sunday at Oakland.

"Apparently, it's not approved equipment," Mangold joked. "It's got no [Jets] logo on it, no [NFL] shield."

Mangold sat out practice Thursday for the second consecutive day because of a high ankle sprain suffered in the Jets' win over Jacksonville.

Although Mangold said he is feeling better and wants to play, it appears the sixth-year center's streak of starting 82 consecutive games will end.

"I don't see it happening," coach Rex Ryan said when asked if Mangold will play Sunday. "We'll see."

But Ryan is encouraged by Mangold's progress, which could bode well for him returning to action Oct. 2 at Baltimore.

"He's off the crutches, doing different things," Ryan said.

"He's been on a bike and he's also doing other exercises and stuff.

"For a high ankle sprain, he's well ahead of the game."

Rookie Colin Baxter is expected to start in Mangold's place.

Grilling Sanchez

Oakland apparently is using Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez's infamous second-half hot dog two years ago to mustard … er, muster up … motivation this week.

Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly told the Oakland Tribune that coach Hue Jackson had shown the team tape of the incident this week.

"The guy had a hot dog," Jackson told reporters.

"Was it a Wiener schnitzel or where'd it come from? I don't know. It looked pretty good by the way he was eating it, so I'm sure we'll have some fun this week. …

"I hope we can make it more interesting for him so he doesn't have to eat hot dogs."

— J.P. Pelzman

Great Scott! Jets linebacker's play getting noticed

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

FLORHAM PARK – While the Jets were wearing their throwback Titans uniforms on Sunday, Bart Scott provided a different kind of Turn Back the Clock moment.

In the fourth quarter against Jacksonville, Scott dropped quarterback Blaine Gabbert for a 10-yard loss, his second sack of the season. The 10th-year linebacker hadn’t had as many as two sacks in a season since he notched 9 1/2 for Baltimore in 2006. Scott, who is in the third season of a six-year, $48 million deal with the Jets, had one sack in each of his first two seasons after signing that contract.

In his first two years as a Jet, Scott spent a lot of time doing the dirty work, taking on multiple blockers so others around him could make the plays. But he says there has been no change in his responsibilities.

"I’m just trying to make plays," Scott said Thursday, "just trying to capitalize on every opportunity I get."

When it was mentioned that he hadn’t had many sacks as a Jet, Scott said, "Hey, man, I’ve done that before. I know you guys [reporters] don’t know it here in New York, but there are people around here that are familiar with me [having] sacks and a lot of them. I’m just trying to be a better player than I was last year and produce and help this football team and lead by example."

So did he feel he needed to do more than he did in 2010?

Scott replied that he wants to do "whatever the team needs me to do to be successful. If that’s me blowing up linemen, that’s it. If that’s me jamming receivers, that’s it. I’m at the point in my career now where I just want to win a Super Bowl. That’s my happy ending. That’s all I’m worried about. Whatever I have to do, I do.

"If the team needs me to get sacks," he added, "I’ll get sacks. If the team needs me to cover, I’ll cover. If the team needs me to take on pulling guards, then that’s what I’ll do. All I’m worried about is the big man upstairs and how he feels I’m playing."

He means the big man upstairs at One Jets Drive; not general manager Mike Tannenbaum, but coach Rex Ryan, who recruited the free agent from Baltimore to join him with the Jets after Ryan left as Ravens’ defensive coordinator to become the Jets’ head coach.

"That’s my big man," Scott said. "That’s who chose to bring me here with him."

"We’re trying to get him back to blitzing a little bit more," Ryan said of Scott. "But I think he’s doing a great job. This last week he did a great job of running a delayed blitz. Bart is smart. He’s been there, done that. I think some opportunities presented themselves and Bart has taken advantage."

"It’s like anything," Scott said. "When you get out there, you’re setting moves up. You’re setting counter-moves up and you have to have opportunities to show them one thing and be able to adjust to the next.

"When the situation presents itself, you have to take advantage of it. There are certain situations that we know we have the advantage in our favor, and you have to be willing to pull the trigger, and that’s all I’m trying to do."

When asked which defensive players have exceeded expectations, defensive coordinator Mike Pettine noted, "Bart Scott, I think, has done some good things. I think some of those have been obvious, some of those not so obvious."

Which means he still does a lot of the dirty work that goes unnoticed on the stat sheet, but not by his teammates and coaches.

"You guys [reporters] can’t gauge how I’m playing because you don’t know my responsibilities," Scott said.

But he’s becoming more apparent to the naked eye this year.

Rex Ryan says Jaguars double covered Plaxico Burress on 'almost every single snap'

BY Manish Mehta

Rex Ryan wasn’t overly concerned that Plaxico Burress didn’t have a catch in the Jets’ 32-3 rout of the Jaguars on Sunday. The Jets coach revealed there was a good reason for Burress’ goose egg: The Jaguars were consistently rolling coverage to Burress. In fact, Ryan admitted that it happened nearly every time.

“It’s interesting when you look at Plax,” Ryan said today. “Here’s a guy that’s been out of football for two years. Let’s see the kind of respect people have for him. Almost every single snap in that game, he was doubled. Almost every single snap. Does he still have the respect and everything else? Absolutely.”

“I’m just telling you, he is a special player and people know it,” Ryan added. “The fact that he’s been out of the game for two years and he still has that kind of respect. You kind of wish, ‘Hey, just single him up there.’ But they’re no dummies. Del Rio’s a smart coach and he knows that this guy can hit you on the big play immediately as soon as you put one guy (on him) out there.”

Sanchez threw at Burress just twice, including once in the fourth quarter that would have gone for a short touchdown if the ball wasn’t overthrown in the endzone.

“I was more frustrated about it than anybody, because I wanted to see him catch some passes,” Ryan said. “I think we all do. But sometimes the coverage dictates it a little bit.”

“He’s great… I see how he affects the game,” the coach added. “He’s been great for us not because of the catches he has, but how he’s affected the game. You look at Dustin Keller. He had a huge game, but some of that is due to Plax playing outside of him.”

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Nick Mangold lobbying to play vs. Raiders, giving Colin Baxter pointers

BY Kevin Armstrong

Jets center Nick Mangold maintains that he plans to play Sunday against the Oakland Raiders, lobbying coach Rex Ryan and offering casual advice to his backup, Colin Baxter, the long-haired reserve readying to replace him in the starting lineup.

"He's gotta cut his hair," Mangold said of Baxter. "It's too long."

Mangold, owner of the team's fullest beard, continues to approach the looming reality that he is expected to miss the Raiders game due to a high right ankle sprain with levity, but he has also worked with Baxter to minimize any falloff if he starts Sunday.

"I'm not going to put my team in jeopardy," Mangold said.

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie was named AFC defensive player of the week for his two-interception performance in the win over the Jaguars last week.

Raiders coach Hue Jackson expressed surprise that the Jets did not allow defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman to be interviewed for Oakland's defensive coordinator job last winter when Jackson was hired.

"If the organization has the opportunity to not let a coach move forward in his career they can do so," said Jackson, a friend of Thurman who worked on the same staff at USC. "So I do understand the rules but I do understand that everyone has aspirations and goals they want to attain, and I know that's something that Dennis wants to do.

"But obviously, it didn't work out this time."

Asked whether his team needed him to "keep their spirits up" coming off a 38-35 loss to Buffalo during which they blew an 18-point lead, Jackson stopped short of making his response a Coors Light commercial.

"Keep their spirits up? We have a long season ahead of us. We're not worried about keeping our spirits up," Jackson said. "Our spirits are fine."

LB David Harris (toe), WR Santonio Holmes (quad/knee) and S Eric Smith (ankle) partook in individual drills. All three played Sunday after being listed as questionable.

aiders' defense has much to fix before Jets game

Tom FitzGerald, Chronicle Staff Writer

An NFL defensive coordinator has to be like a cornerback, Chuck Bresnahan says, and be able to put adversity behind him.

With the 2-0 Jets coming in this week, there's little time for the staff to dwell on Sunday's second-half collapse at Buffalo, but that didn't keep reporters from asking Bresnahan to explain how the Raiders blew an 18-point halftime lead and lost 38-35.

"You can look at missed tackles, dropped interceptions, a penalty on a key third down," Bresnahan said Thursday in his first public comments on the debacle. "It was like dropping a deck of cards on the ground and trying to pick out which reason you didn't get off the field. We have to get that corrected, and we will."

The Raiders had ample chances to stop the bleeding, he said, specifically in four of the five series in the second half. All five resulted in Buffalo touchdowns.

He brought up the Raiders' age-old slogan of "pride and poise," although the poise vanished in the second half.

"We didn't do it for two halves," he said. "It was that simple. That falls back on me. I'll take full responsibility for it."

In practice this week, the Raiders have shown no ill effects of the devastating loss, according to Bresnahan. Instead, he said, they have "a chip on the shoulder."

One of the defenders who bore the brunt of the loss was Chris Johnson, who was victimized often by the Bills' Stevie Johnson (eight catches, 96 yards).

"You can't point a finger at Chris Johnson," Bresnahan said. He called the game "a collective loss" and said he didn't feel the need to boost the cornerback's confidence. "He's a pro, and I expect him to be that way."

The Jets love to run the ball, although Shonn Greene has taken over most of the ball-carrying duties, with the venerable Raiders-killer LaDainian Tomlinson now a third-down back.

"They're going to try to run that ball down our throat," defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said. Tomlinson, 32, "can still make you look real bad in the open field."

Bresnahan agreed the first priority will be to stop the run, although he thinks the Bills' approach of spreading out the defense and attacking the center of the field with short-to-intermediate passes is what the Jets have done effectively in getting to the last two AFC title games under Rex Ryan.

"We're expecting some of the same things, but I do know Rex's mentality is a physical, no-B.S. type of deal," Bresnahan said, "and they're going to try to establish the run game as well."

Briefly: The Raiders did get a sack against the Bills after all. The NFL awarded a sack to Rolando McClain for tackling Brad Smith for a 6-yard loss after he took a lateral, looked to pass and then was chased down. ... Jets center Nick Mangold, a three-time Pro Bowl pick, is out with an ankle sprain. He'll be replaced by undrafted rookie Colin Baxter, whom the Jets acquired off waivers.

Full Coliseum means no blackout

Imagine that: a Raiders sellout.

Sunday's game against the Jets at O.co Coliseum is sold out so the usual TV blackout for Raiders home games won't be in effect, the club announced Thursday.

CBS will air the game on Channels 5 and 13. It's only the second television broadcast out of the last 16 home games. The Kansas City game was the only sellout last year.

- Tom FitzGerald

E-mail Tom FitzGerald at tfitzgerald@sfchronicle.com.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/09/22/SPUS1L84QO.DTL#ixzz1YmRglKi8

Apparently Hue Jackson has no idea of the history between the Jets and the Raiders-we have ALWAYS hated each other. Of COURSE we would never let them steal one of our valued coaches just as they never let us have Rob Ryan when we tried to get him. Hell, Davis fired his whole staff but kept Rob Ryan because he knew WE wanted him. For spite. Screw you Huey, screw you Al Davis and eff the Oakland Raiders.

Rex defensive about keeping staff intact

Jets Blog

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 5:59 AM, September 23, 2011

Posted: 1:30 AM, September 23, 2011

If REX Ryan made a gut- wrenching decision this winter or if the NFL rules were different, then Ryan might be facing one of his most trusted assistant coaches Sunday when the Jets play the Raiders in Oakland.

Early in the offseason, newly hired Raiders head coach Hue Jackson called the Jets to ask for permission to speak to defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman about Oakland's defensive coordinator job.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

Ryan refused to allow Thurman, who had a year remaining on his Jets contract, to interview.

The NFL rules allow teams to block their assistants from interviewing for other jobs if they're under contract -- even if the job is a career advancement.

JOB FAIR? Jets defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman has had Rex Ryan's back since they worked together with the Ravens, but Ryan did not grant Thurman permission to interview for the Raiders' defensive coordinator job this offseason. l

Paul J. Bereswil

JOB FAIR? Jets defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman has had Rex Ryan's back since they worked together with the Ravens, but Ryan did not grant Thurman permission to interview for the Raiders' defensive coordinator job this offseason. l

Ryan made this decision despite the fact that he and Thurman have worked together since 2002, when they were assistant coaches together in Baltimore, and have forged an unbreakable bond.

Thurman saw the Ravens blocked Ryan six times from interviewing for defensive coordinator jobs and saw how it embittered Ryan as he chased his dream of becoming a head coach.

Yet when the Raiders came calling and Ryan blocked Thurman from interviewing for the job, it was Ryan thwarting Thurman from moving one step closer to the same dream Ryan clung to with a Kung Fu grip for years before Woody Johnson finally gave him his chance in 2009.

Does this make Ryan a bad guy?

No, but it does raise a compelling dynamic, particularly in the case of Ryan, who felt like he was being held back in Baltimore.

"You feel flattered in two ways: that a team wants you to be their coordinator and that your team doesn't want to let you go," Ryan told The Post yesterday. "I was flattered on both sides of it, but also sometimes a little upset. I remember [then Baltimore head coach] Brian Billick saying, 'I'm going to protect you from yourself and I'm not letting you go.'

"It all worked out in the end. I got into the seat I wanted to be in, which was to become a head coach in this league."

Will it work out the same way for Thurman, though?

Thurman chooses to believe it will.

"Would [the Raiders job] have been a good opportunity?" he said. "Yeah, but at the same time I have a great job here, and we're trying to do something here, take that next step and get to the Super Bowl. . . . We have as good a shot as anybody."

Perhaps because he felt slighted when he was an assistant coach, few head coaches publicly dole out as much credit to assistants as Ryan does. He sees it as a way to raise the profiles of his assistants.

But in instances like when the Raiders reached out to Thurman or the Titans sought Jets offensive line coach Bill Callahan to be their offensive coordinator this offseason (a request also turned down by Ryan, much to Callahan's chagrin), Ryan is protective of his turf.

Ryan calls himself, Thurman and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, another Ravens alum, "The Three Musketeers."

"We've been together 10 years and I'm not going to let someone come break that up," Ryan said. "We all talked about this years ago, that we are going to be attached together, and it's paid off. It's definitely paid off for me."

You can't fault Ryan for wanting to maintain continuity, particularly considering the Jets are coming off two consecutive AFC Championship games.

Yet isn't Ryan putting Thurman through the same frustrations he endured in Baltimore, making him a victim of his own success?

"Here's what I don't do: I don't think about my next job," Thurman said.

"My mindset is being the best secondary coach in the NFL and helping this team hoist that Lombardi Trophy. Some people sit in a seat and look for opportunities down the road. I think you take something away from where you sit when you do that."

Thurman insisted he won't look wistfully across the field in Oakland on Sunday wondering what if?

"No," he said. "I'd be 1-1 instead of 2-0."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/blocking_stance_c9Efh24NwtEsB826zxvPTP#ixzz1YmSOnzKg

Sanchez in 'dog' house

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 5:58 AM, September 23, 2011

Posted: 1:09 AM, September 23, 2011

More Print

Call it the hot dog heard 'round the world.

Mark Sanchez's late-game snack two years ago against the Raiders still resonates with the Silver & Black, who this week watched the video of the Jets quarterback eating on the sideline in the Jets' 38-0 victory in Oakland in 2009.

"I hope we can make it more interesting for him so he doesn't have to eat hot dogs," Raiders coach Hue Jackson said, according to the Oakland Tribune. "Hopefully we can take the mustard and the relish and the onions and all that and put it away and play a little football."

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

Jackson was not with the Raiders in 2009 when Sanchez committed the sideline faux pas as a rookie. This week, Sanchez acknowledged it was disrespectful, as he did after it happened, and said it won't happen again this time.

Jackson was asked if the issue could serve as a motivational tool this week.

"I can't let all my secrets out," Jackson said. "The guy had a hot dog. Was it Der Wienerschnitzel? I don't know. It looked to be pretty good the way he was eating it. So I'm sure we'll have some fun this week."

Defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said the Raiders have watched the infamous hot dog snack.

"Coach showed that to us," Kelly said. "It was just a reminder. We're going to remind him of that during the game."

Center Nick Mangold did not practice yesterday, and it sounds certain that he won't play Sunday, but coach Rex Ryan wants to wait until today to make it official.

"I don't see it happening," Ryan said of Mangold playing.

Mangold said he wants to play, and will wait until the last possible moment before ruling himself out. Ryan said Mangold will not travel to Oakland if he is inactive.

The Coliseum still has the baseball infield on it with the A's still in season. With that in mind, the Jets sent kicker Nick Folk, punter T.J. Conley and long snapper Tanner Purdum to the Newark Bears' baseball stadium yesterday to practice on the dirt.

Bart Scott has two sacks in two games after recording just one sack in each of his first two years as a Jet.

"We're trying to get him back to blitzing a little more," Ryan said. "This last week he did a great job of running a delayed blitz."

Scott had 9 ½ sacks in 2006 with the Ravens, but had not had more than 1½ since until this year.

"If the team needs me to get sacks, I'll get sacks," Scott said. "If the team needs me to cover, I'll cover. If the team needs me to take on pulling guards, then that's what I'll do. All I worry about is the big man upstairs [Ryan] and how he feels I'm playing."

WR Santonio Holmes (quad), LB David Harris (toe), S Jim Leonhard (hamstring), S Eric Smith (ankle), DE Mike DeVito (shoulder) and DE Muhammad Wilkerson (shoulder) all were limited in practice. For the Raiders, TE Kevin Boss, the former Giant, practiced fully and is expected to play. WRs Jacoby Ford (hamstring) and Louis Murphy (groin) did not practice.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/sanchez_in_dog_house_eWETOYog8XuN0DKAofrNZI#ixzz1YmSkDLeb

Jets gear up to fly into Black Hole

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:43 AM, September 23, 2011

Posted: 1:13 AM, September 23, 2011

More Print

LaDainian Tomlinson remembers his first win in the "Black Hole" against the Raiders.

It was in 2002, his second season in the NFL, and the Chargers won 27-21 on his 19-yard touchdown run in overtime. The home fans let Tomlinson know what they thought of his game-winning heroics.

"When I got to the end zone everybody piled on me and pretty soon they started throwing stuff at us, beer bottles, everything, throwing it at us," Tomlinson said. "We hurried up and got off the field and continued our celebration in the locker room."

Tomlinson, now with the Jets, returns to the stadium, now known as O.co Coliseum, Sunday for the Raiders' home opener. The Jets have won two of their last three games in Oakland, including a 38-0 victory two years ago. Still, the Jets know to expect an environment unlike any other.

"It is one of the toughest places to play, and probably one of the weirder places to play just because the fans are really into it," said Tomlinson, who has 25 career touchdowns against the Raiders, his most against any team. "It's Halloween every Sunday. Whenever you go there people are dressed up and into it. Certainly, their team feeds off their crowd."

This is a dangerous game for the Jets for reasons other than the home crowd. The Raiders are coming off a brutal 38-35 loss to the Bills, and have more talent than they have had in recent years.

Darren McFadden rushed for 150 yards in an opening-week victory against the Broncos, and is complemented by Michael Bush at running back. Quarterback Jason Campbell threw for 323 yards last week against the Bills. They are banged up at receiver, but rookie Denarius Moore had 146 yards and a touchdown in Buffalo.

"They're all big and they can all run," Jets coach Rex Ryan said of the Raiders receivers. "The Raiders always had that size, speed. There's always those dominant traits. You look at that speed. I don't think we'd have a chance to match them in a 4x100, but we'll see if we can match them in football."

New coach Hue Jackson was an assistant coach in Baltimore with Ryan and several other Jets. Linebacker Bart Scott got to know Jackson during that time and said he expects the Raiders to be improved under Jackson.

"He's one of those guys that players are going to play for," Scott said. "He makes you feel important. You want to lay it on the line for him. You want to be successful for him."

On defense, the Raiders have a huge front four led by former Patriot Richard Seymour. The Bills ran for 217 yards by mostly spreading the field, something the Jets don't usually do.

Tomlinson said when he was with the Chargers he remembers head coach Marty Schottenheimer running the ball 50 times in a game. That is something he reminded Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, Marty's son, of this week.

"Those guys are huge up front," Tomlinson said. "They've got to be the biggest team in the league. Sometimes that's the thing that works against them is spreading them out and then fast tempo, getting in and out of the huddle and making those guys run."

This is the first of three straight road games for the Jets. Getting a win in a hostile environment would be a perfect start.

"The hardest thing to do in this business is to win on the road," wide receiver Plaxico Burress said. "It's gratifying when you can go into someone else's house and silence the crowd. Those home teams take it personally. The Jets have been a good road team for as long as I can remember and it all starts here."

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/space_invaders_6w02587okM34LdxoZL5QiM#ixzz1YmT0unbO

Jets' Shonn Greene, LaDainian Tomlinson hope to rack up yards against Raiders again

Published: Friday, September 23, 2011, 4:15 AM

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Jets Shonn Greene.JPGJohn Munson/The Star-LedgerThe Jets' Shonn Greene ran for 144 yards and two touchdowns on 19 carries against the Oakland Raiders in a 38-0 win in October 2009.

Star-Ledger Jets reporters look at Oakland game Star-Ledger Jets reporters look at Oakland game Conor Orr and Jenny Vrentas discuss the upcoming Jets vs. Raiders game Sunday. (Video by Noah K. Murray/The Star-Ledger) Watch video

Shonn Greene was smiling. For once, he wasn’t talking about a time when the run game was sputtering, or when he’d break out as the featured back.

Instead, he was talking about the first time he stepped foot in Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum. Leon Washington had just broken his leg and Greene, just seven carries into his career, came on during that October 2009 game. He finished with 144 yards and two touchdowns on 19 carries, a mark that — nearly two years later — still stands as his finest in an NFL game.

As the costumed monsters whistled and howled at him from the Black Hole, Greene kept churning, eventually earning a game ball.

“It was a good feeling,” the Jets running back said. “Leon went down and I was kind of shocked … but I did a good job. The offense was moving well and everything went well. Everybody congratulated me.”

Since then, Greene has surpassed the 100-yard mark in the regular season just once more — Oct. 3, 2010 against the Buffalo Bills. He has scored just three more times (six counting the playoffs), the last of which was Sunday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

But as the questions pile up about a running attack currently 28th in the NFL in yards per game (73.0), 27th in yards per carry (3.0) and 17th in attempts (24 per game), there may be something about the trip to Oakland, the experiences Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson have at the Coliseum, that lead them to believe this is the week where things may change.

That’s just the way Greene and Tomlinson — who has more rushing touchdowns against the Raiders (22) and rushing yards (2,017) than any other opponent — remember it.

“It’s going to be good to be in that stadium again,” Tomlinson said. “I’m sure a couple of those fans might have something to say to me, and I may have something to say back.”

After Tomlinson’s San Diego Chargers teammates piled on him in the Raiders’ end zone in 2002 after a 19-yard overtime touchdown, beer bottles and trash began to fly from the stands. The Chargers bolted to the locker room for a formal celebration. He said then-Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer had figured out the way to beat the prototypical stout, strong Raiders front: Use the 50-power, a run play up the gut, 40 times per game.

Jets LaDanian Tomlinson.JPGEd Murray/The Star-LedgerThe Jets' LaDanian Tomlinson has more rushing touchdowns against the Raiders (22) and rushing yards (2,017) than any other opponent.

“One year, I promise you, we ran it 20 straight times. Twenty straight times,” Tomlinson said. “And we wore them out and they eventually folded.”

This time — if the game plan calls for it — Greene would be the one hacking away at the Raiders defense 20 straight times. If the run game’s fortunes were to change for the Jets in Oakland, it would be on his shoulders.

The opportunities were there against Jacksonville a week ago. After Dallas stuffed the box in Week 1, the Jaguars opened things up a little, but missed cadences by the Jets amid a compilation of what running backs coach Anthony Lynn called “self-inflicted wounds,” slowed everything down.

He still has no doubt that Greene can carry the load.

“I think he’s there,” Lynn said. “We’re not relying as much on the ground and pound as we did in the past, his (first and second) year. But as far as his maturity and his development, he’s there, he’s ready to take off.”

Greene said he doesn’t use yards per game to define a good or bad week. He takes solace in a game where he gels with the offensive line and keeps the quarterback off the ground.

When he gets stuck, he is reminded of the good things, like that day in Oakland.

“Some days, Shonn is going to carry it 25 times,” Tomlinson said. “We’re going to need him to. (I tell him) just be patient, don’t worry about the way the game turns out sometimes, just always think positive and that way, when the time comes, you’ll be prepared for it.”

Staff writer Jenny Vrentas contributed to this story.

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Jets, Rex Ryan, well aware of athleticism of Oakland Raiders offense, led by QB Jason Campbell

BY Kevin Armstrong

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, September 23rd 2011, 4:00 AM

Rex Ryan refers to the right arm of Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell as a "bazooka" and estimates that the speed of his receivers is similar to that of a missile. In defensive meetings throughout this week, Ryan's staff is preaching "stay deep" to Jets safeties and aggressiveness by the defensive line to unsettle skill players before they can break into open space.

"I don't think we'd have a chance to match them in a 4x100 but we'll try to match them in football," Ryan said.

The Raiders, equipped with an endless supply of speed bursts, displayed the depth of the receiver position last week by running out rookie Denarius Moore to replace starter Jacoby Ford, who was forced to sit because of a hamstring injury. Moore made the most of his opportunity, ripping through the Bills secondary for 146 yards and a touchdown. It is the baton-passing relay speed that defensive coordinator Mike Pettine is bracing for, imploring safeties to measure angles carefully and limit exposure to attacks vertically.

"If you think you're deep, go deeper," Pettine said. "They have guys who can blow the roof off defenses."

The Jets defense restored order last week against the Jaguars after surrendering 390yards to the Cowboys in the opener. They limited Jacksonille to 203 yards and forced four turnovers in a rebound performance for a 32-3 win. To beat the Raiders - playing their first game at home, where tailback LaDainian Tomlinson said "every Sunday is Halloween" - they will need to disguise looks and disrupt pass patterns.

"I don't think their core concepts are very complicated," said Pettine, "but (coach Hue Jackson) does a good job of window dressing. I think he changes formations, personnel groupings, shifts, motions, things that can get a defense back on its heels."

Campbell has gained firmer footing in coach Hue Jackson's system, too.

Promoted to head coach during the offseason after serving as offensive coordinator in 2010, Jackson has helped rejuvenate Campbell's career, offering creative approaches he had developed at earlier stops in Washington, Baltimore and Cincinnati. In turn, he revved up the Raiders offense, which scored 410 points - good for sixth in the league - last season.

"We want to fight our way back to be one of the best," Campbell said.

The machine maintained that pace despite the lockout. In the 38-35 loss to the Bills on Sunday, Campbell connected for two touchdowns, throwing one on a 12-yard route and another on a 50-yard pass to Moore, who recorded his first reception, touchdown and 100-yard game, all in his second NFL contest.

"He doesn't talk a lot," Campbell said of Moore, "but he tries to fight for every rep he can in practice."

Campbell, meanwhile, managed to complete 23 of 33 attempts for 323 yards, capitalizing on formations that spread out the Bills secondary with screens.

Pettine recognizes an opportunity when Campbell carries the ball out of the backfield on scrambles. In the last four seasons, Campbell fumbled 32 times. He has put the ball on the ground only once thus far, and his lone interception came on a "Hail Mary" heave at game's end.

"That's on our minds," Pettine said. "We're thinking turnovers."

Physicality will be at a premium. Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, a practiced artist at hand-to-hand combat coming off the line of scrimmage, will be ready to engage, as will Antonio Cromartie, coming off his AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors for two interceptions against Jacksonville. Beyond that, Pettine wants them looking in one direction.

"It's vertical, vertical, vertical," he said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/23/2011-09-23_d_expecting_campbell_oakland_to_strike_deep.html#ixzz1YmXBKRa1

Jets center Nick Mangold has consecutive games started streak - now at 82 - threatened by injury

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, September 23rd 2011, 4:00 AM

New York Jets center Nick Mangold (c.) starts 82 straight games, btu his streak is in jeopardy.

Nick Mangold may be holding out hope that he'll be able to play Sunday against the Raiders, but Rex Ryan took a more realistic approach.

"I don't see it happening," Ryan said after Mangold didn't practice Thursday. "For a high ankle sprain, he's well ahead of the game. Sometimes you got to protect the player from the player."

Mangold won't make the cross-country trip Friday if he is ruled out, Ryan said. The All-Pro center was still in a walking boot Thursday, but appeared to be moving around noticeably better than he did on Wednesday.

Mangold has played in 82 consecutive games since entering the league in 2006.

"I'm very proud of it," Mangold said of his consecutive games streak. "That's something I take pride in. At the same time, it's not more important than doing what's best for the team and what's best for myself."

Mangold said there was "no chance" that he'd be able to play if there was a game Thursday.

"I'm a competitor," he said. "I want to be out there. So I'm going to hold out to the last moment possible."

SPECIAL INTEREST

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie has been lobbying Mike Westhoff for more opportunities on special teams. Cromartie, who earned AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors for his two-interception performance against the Jaguars, has already taken over as the primary kick returner. He grabbed a practice-squad player's spot on the scout punt block team during practice Thursday just to show Westhoff that he could do it.

"I can't get him out of anything," Westhoff said. "He wants to do everything. I can't get him off the field. I love the attitude."

Last week, Darrelle Revis and Cromartie were in for one punt play as blockers on the Jaguars' gunner Kaseem Osgood.

L.T. = TD

LaDainian Tomlinson has been the ultimate Raider killer. Tomlinson has scored more touchdowns against the Raiders (25) than any other team in his career.

INFIELD IN

Kicker Nick Folk, punter T.J. Conley and long snapper Tanner Purdum practiced at Riverfront Stadium, the home of the Newark Bears baseball team, to get accustomed to punting on the dirt infield in Oakland.

NO WORRIES

Defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman said he hasn't thought twice about the Jets' decision not to allow him to interview for the Raiders' defensive coordinator job in the offseason. "I'm not unhappy," Thurman said. ... Raiders wide receiver Jacoby Ford's availability remains in doubt after he missed practice again with a hamstring injury.

Twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/23/2011-09-23_rex_mangold_streak_in_jeopardy.html#ixzz1YmXbVFV0

Dustin Keller credits Tom Moore for fast start

Posted by Josh Alper on September 23, 2011, 7:56 AM EDT

Tom Moore ran the Colts offense when Dallas Clark became one of the best pass-catching tight ends in football and it looks like he hasn’t lost his touch since moving over to the Jets.

Dustin Keller has 11 catches for 162 yards and two touchdowns during the Jets’ 2-0 start and he credits his work with the team’s offensive consultant for his fast start. Keller told Rich Cimini of ESPN New York that he turned a notebook into the “Tom Moore book of knowledge” during training camp and that he’s looking back on it often this season. Keller gives Moore special credit for helping him run better routes after trying to use nothing but athleticism to beat defenders during his first two NFL seasons.

Moore is also effusive about Keller and wasn’t shy about comparing him to Clark when asked if he saw any comparisons.

“Very much so. They’re both great athletes and they both work hard. The sky’s the limit.”

No one was really sure what role Moore was going to play with the Jets as an offensive consultant, but tight end guru works pretty well. If his work turns Keller into Clark-lite, he’ll have had a tremendous impact on the Jets attack.

The key for Keller will be keeping his productivity high through the entire season. He got off to a good start in 2010 as well, but faded into the background as the season progressed. If Keller can keep wreaking havoc over the middle of the field, defenses will have to make a choice between letting him run free or paying less attention to Santonio Holmes, Derrick Mason and Plaxico Burress on the outside. Those are the kinds of choices that offenses love to force defenses to make, although Mark Sanchez’s four turnovers in the first two games are a reminder that there’s still work to do with the Jets offense.

Wilson, Dixon Help Schoolkids to 'Play 60'

By Andrew LeRay

Posted 1 hour ago

It was a dreary, rainy Tuesday morning, the perfect excuse for the recently victorious Jets to spend their day off being lazy. However, for DT Marcus Dixon and CB Kyle Wilson, laziness was the topic they had come to combat in a visit to Ridgedale Middle School in Florham Park, N.J.

The NFL Play 60 Challenge is a joint initiative by the NFL and the American Heart Association in its fourth year of existence. Its mission is to battle childhood obesity and promote a healthy lifestyle by encouraging children to engage in 60 minutes of physical activity every day.

For Wilson, the second-year cornerback, this is also his second year of involvement with Play 60. Dixon, a hardworking and constantly improving defensive lineman, is a Play 60 rookie.

First, Dixon, Wilson and the Ridgedale sixth grade met in the gymnasium to play basketball and volleyball together. The two Jets led the warmup stretches, then joined the students in the games — and even worked up an unintended sweat.

“I think it’s great,” said Wilson. “We can remember when we were that age, and if we had somebody come speak to us, we would have remembered everything they said.”

When the players and students retreated to the auditorium, the conversation focused on the importance of physical activity in an overall healthy lifestyle. In a room full of enthusiastic children, the two Jets addressed the audience and fielded questions, but noted that there may not be much difference between them.

“I don’t think of myself as some big superstar,” said Dixon. “We’re like little kids ourselves. We play football and get to play it every day. I wish I had this experience when I was in sixth grade.”

Marci Robinson, the regional youth market director for the American Heart Association, marveled at the ability of Dixon and Wilson to reach the students.

“You see these kids here, in sixth grade, to have their undivided attention and enthusiasm, it’s amazing,” said Robinson. “As the program develops over the next four weeks, they have to put their efforts into action. You can’t just say you’re involved. You have to play the game, too.”

To influence the kids to get off the couch and get on their feet, each student is given a book to log his or her physical activity each day. If all students complete an hour of exercise every day for the next four weeks, they will receive a certificate signed by both Dixon and Wilson and will be entered in a drawing to lead the Jets out of the MetLife Stadium tunnel before the Nov. 27 game against the Buffalo Bills.

Dixon is well aware of how important exercise is for children to be able to lead a healthy lifestyle.

“This is what it’s all about,” he said. “This is our future. A lot of these kids are stuck in video games and are not as active as we were. It’s a tremendous feeling. We love these guys.”

Dixon and Wilson will return to Ridgedale in four weeks to wrap up the Play 60 program and again spend time in the gym with the sixth-graders. Once more, the two Jets will resist the urge to sink into their couch on an off day and will instead practice what they preach.

“The kids really understand that they are role models for them, but they're also human beings,” said Robinson. “They’re somebody they can ask questions of, have a conversation with, and they really appreciate them taking time here on their day off to be with them.”

the best part of oakland is their kicking game- Field position is always important.

Kicker Nick Folk, punter T.J. Conley and long snapper Tanner Purdum practiced at Riverfront Stadium, the home of the Newark Bears baseball team, to get accustomed to punting on the dirt infield in Oakland.

Despite Jets’ Big-Name Trio, Dustin Keller The Go-To Guy

September 23, 2011 10:40 AM

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – Go ahead, double-team one of the big names. Dustin Keller may just make you pay.

While opposing defensive backs are paying extra attention to Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason this season, the Jets tight end zips around the field and takes advantage of what has become a clear mismatch.

“I’ve always been extremely confident,” Keller said. “I don’t want to say I’m even more confident than before because that’s always been a mismatch for me, and as long as I continue to see those looks, I think I’m going to get the better of those guys. And then when people try to shut that down, I think it’s going to open things big-time for the guys on the outside.”

On a team with a trio of big-name receivers, Keller has been Mark Sanchez’s go-to guy through two games, leading the Jets with 11 catches for 162 yards and two touchdowns.

“He’s just such an athletic guy,” offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said. “He’s such a problem for linebackers and safeties. He has such great ball skills. He and Mark have, obviously, a great chemistry and he’s just one big play after another.”

Brett Favre predicted the tight end would be a big star when the two were teammates in 2008, and Keller might finally be on his way in his fourth season. Not that he hasn’t been good since being a first-round draft pick out of Purdue. Keller entered the season with the most catches (148) and yards receiving (1,744) by a Jets tight end in their first three years.

“He’s kind of the model of the tight ends in the league now: the athletic, the pass-catching type,” defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said. “The days of the Mark Bavaros and those type guys, those guys are few and far between now. … I think Dustin is more of the newer breed where you almost treat him as a wideout.”

LaDainian Tomlinson played with one of the best tight ends in the game in Antonio Gates while he was in San Diego. A former basketball player, Gates used his size – he’s 6-foot-4, 260 pounds – to dominate opponents.

“Dustin, his speed, that’s one of the qualities that he possesses that’s better than most tight ends,” Tomlinson said. “To be able to run down the field or threaten people with his speed, his quick cuts in and out of breaks.”

That was on display last Sunday against Jacksonville, when Keller had six catches for 101 yards and a touchdown.

“He just demanded a lot of split-safety coverage and our wideouts knew that,” Sanchez said. “Dustin was able to get free in there a couple of times and make some great catches in some zones and sit down and find the football. Our wideouts demand a lot of respect in the passing game, so it could be a good day for Dustin when that happens.”

Keller has also been a clutch receiver this season, which is already shaping up as a breakout year after leading the team with 55 catches a year ago. Nine of his 11 receptions have gone for first downs.

“I feel really good, not just about any stats or anything like that,” Keller said. “I feel like Mark is really playing his butt off. I feel like he’s going out there and reading things out and finding the open man. They matched me up on a linebacker last week, so more times than not, I was always the open man, especially with the guys on the outside being doubled.”

When the Jets re-signed Holmes to be the team’s big-play threat and then signed Burress and Mason, Keller didn’t worry about his catches diminishing. If anything, he thought, those guys being on the field would make things easier for him.

And he’s been right so far. Burress was held without a catch against Jacksonville, the result of being double-teamed nearly the entire time when he was out there.

We still scored 30 points and I didn’t touch the football,” Burress said. “I mean, Dustin Keller is too good for teams to play us like that. I think that’s what they’ll find out if teams continue to do that.”

One of the biggest knocks on Keller coming out of college was his blocking skills, something he has worked on a lot in the last few years. He has improved to the point where he no longer needs to come off the field when the Jets run the ball and need their tight end to hit someone.

“I’ve been able to get bigger in that area and step up my blocking and they can’t overplay me on one thing,” Keller said. “Obviously, they still lean toward the pass, but that just makes it easier for me in the running game to get guys unexpectedly, get my hands in there and after I do that a couple of times, run my route and it definitely plays to my advantage.”

And if teams start focusing on Keller and hold his reception numbers down, starting with Oakland on Sunday, that’s OK with him.

“If I go out the next game or two games and have zero catches, but the offense averages the next two games 500 yards of offense, who cares?” he said. “We’re playing well, we’re moving the ball and we’re successful, and that’s all that matters.”

Notes: Special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff has a lot of respect for Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski and punter Shane Lechler. “That’s Mantle and Maris there,” he said. “Heavy hitters.” … Westhoff said kicker Nick Folk, punter T.J. Conley and long snapper Tanner Purdum practiced at the Newark Bears’ baseball field to simulate the conditions of the Raiders’ O.co Coliseum, which is shared by the Athletics. … CB Antonio Cromartie will continue to be “the guy” on kickoff returns, with Joe McKnight backing him up.

Jets C Nick Mangold at practice, but not dressed

Published: Friday, September 23, 2011, 10:34 AM Updated: Friday, September 23, 2011, 10:47 AM

As the Jets starting offense began to cycle through plays this morning, injured center Nick Mangold appeared in a sweatshirt and shorts behind the huddle. Hands moving back and forth, he was mimicking the offensive line calls, but -- in the portion of practice open to the media -- that was the extent of his duties on Friday.

Throughout the week, Rex Ryan has said Mangold (high ankle sprain) is doubtful for Sunday's game against Oakland. Mangold has listed himself as day-to-day.

And his absence from any serious practice time this week -- Colin Baxter was working with the first-string again today, as expected -- may be the biggest indicator for Mangold, who is currently sitting on a consecutive games played streak of 82.

S Jim Leonhard (hamstring), S Eric Smith (ankle), DT Muhammad Wilkerson (shoulder), DT Mike DeVito (shoulder) and WR Santonio Holmes (knee, quad), who were limited throughout the week, were out and participating in the portion of practice open to the media this morning.

Ryan had said earlier this week that he expects them all to play.

Friday practice report

September, 23, 2011

Sep 23

10:52

AM ET

By Jane McManus

Nick Mangold made an appearance at Jets practice today, but it was in a gray sweatshirt and with his right leg in a bulky wrapping. He stood with his teammates who weren't participating in drills as the rain poured down. In preparation for Oakland's Black Hole, the offense ran drills with "Hell's Bells" playing so loudly it made the garbage bags protecting the speakers puff up with the bass.

This marks the third straight day that Mangold, the center who sustained a high ankle sprain against the Jaguars, didn't practice. In his place, rookie Colin Baxter is expected to start. It will be a difficult adjustment for an offense that relies on Mangold to read defenses and call it out.

Mangold has been holding out hope that he would play, and Jets coach Rex Ryan has been trying to quell that hope by saying he didn't think Mangold would make the west coast trip, but seemed to be waiting as a show of respect to his center and his 82 game consecutive start streak. Ryan said he would make the final call today, and that if he isn't playing, Mangold won't make the trip out west with the Jets.

As for the other Jets, all were present except for OL Rob Turner and WR Logan Payne, who are recovering from surgery.

Fri Sep 23 10:07am EDT

The Raiders are still mad that Mark Sanchez ate a hot dog

By MJD

The Raiders are still mad that Mark Sanchez ate a hot dogIn the midst of a 2009 clobbering of the Oakland Raiders, New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez(notes) got hungry on the sidelines and wolfed down a hot dog. Despite his best wiener-concealing efforts, television cameras caught him snacking, and he apologized after the game. It somehow became a national story.

Given that it was a 38-0 game, Sanchez had been ill and hadn't eaten much that week, and the opposing quarterback was JaMarcus Russell(notes) and who knows what was in his Gatorade bottle, I never thought the hot dog scandal was a big deal.

But apparently the Raiders did, and still do. They have not forgotten, and head coach Hue Jackson has incorporated the dastardly wiener-munching into his pregame motivational tactics. From Conor Orr at NJ.com:

"Coach showed that to us," Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly(notes) told the Oakland Tribune. "It was just a reminder. We're going to remind him of that during the game."

Oakland coach Hue Jackson didn't come right out and admit it, but he did make reference to making Sanchez pay for the mistake.

"I hope we can make it more interesting for him so he doesn't have to eat hot dogs," Jackson said. "Hopefully we can take the mustard and the relish and the onions and all that and put it away and play a little football."

I say if it's 38-0, you get to eat all the hot dogs you want. In fact, the other team should have to gently feed them to you. I can't imagine any Raiders players truly getting any motivation from this, but if they do, more power to them. Whatever works.

But if it's fair game for them, it is for the Jets, too. I say they sign Kobayashi to a one-week contract, start him at wide receiver, and make him eat three hot dogs between every play in the third quarter.

Nick Mangold won’t travel to Oakland

Posted by Josh Alper on September 23, 2011, 11:05 AM EDT

The chances of Nick Mangold starting at center for the Jets against the Raiders this weekend never looked good and we can now turn our attention to other matters.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News is at Jets practice and shares the news we’ve all been expecting. Mangold will not make the trip to Oakland and is out for Sunday’s game. Colin Baxter, an undrafted rookie who the team claimed off waivers at the end of training camp, will make his first NFL start.

As you’d expect, Baxter had some tough moments against the Jaguars in Week Two. The team’s running game never got on track, although it didn’t look very good when Mangold was healthy either, and pass protection was also a problem for the rookie. With right tackle Wayne Hunter also struggling in his transition to the starting lineup, the Jets will have a less than ideal offensive line to do battle with an aggressive Raiders defense.

Mangold’s high ankle sprain is expected to keep him out a while longer. With road games looming against the Ravens and Patriots, the Jets need Baxter to be a quick study. Simply replacing Mangold as a blocker is tough enough, but the center was also responsible for setting up the team’s protection schemes.

Pettine's Warning to His DBs: Get Deeper

By Andrew LeRay

Even as the Raiders pushed through several seasons of rebuilding, the Black Hole continued to provide a home-field advantage. Since reaching the Super Bowl at the end of the 2002 season, the Raiders have won only 38 regular-season games, but 24 of those have come in Oakland.

And this year they've opened 1-1 after coming off an unexpected 8-8 season where they posted an undefeated 6-0 record within the AFC West and are making waves with their youthful, energetic offense.

The raucous atmosphere at O.co Coliseum coupled with the maturing weapons present a difficult task for defensive coordinator Mike Pettine and the Jets defense.

You can’t get the ball thrown over your head,” said Pettine. “If you think you’re deep enough, get deeper. They establish the run, and the next thing you know they’re running a double move on top. From a skill position standpoint, it’s a formidable group.”

The Raiders offense begins and ends with RB Darren McFadden. The fourth-year back is the leading rusher and receiver for Oakland, averaging 5.3 yards per carry and 9.6 per reception. At 6’2”, he is a a large back with exceptional speed. Pettine wants to make sure the Jets limit his chances to catch the ball on a screen and find open running space.

“The key to defending the screen is stopping it before it starts," he said during his media briefing Thursday. "The big thing is the defensive linemen — the ability to recognize the screen, set an edge, force the ball back inside, and get a hit on him.”

Taking snaps for the Silver & Black is QB Jason Campbell, the seventh-year veteran now in his second year with the Raiders. With a 99.7 passer rating that is fifth in the AFC and 10th in the league, Campbell has grown comfortable in the Oakland offense and boasts impressive arm strength.

Now with former quarterbacks coach Hue Jackson as head coach, the Raiders are becoming difficult to stop through the air. Despite the improved play of Campbell and the addition of Jackson, Pettine sees a potential weakness.

“Hue is very creative. What he does a really good job of is getting the ball into the hands of his playmakers. He wants to take advantage of that speed, and not just vertically," the coordinator said. "The one flaw that Campbell has is that he can be careless with the ball in some situations.”

Pettine made it clear that the defensive focus will be on slowing McFadden and taking advantage of Campbell’s gunslinger mentality. It would certainly help the Jets, who already have seven takeaways on the season, if they were able to steal a few possessions away from the Raiders in Oakland.

Offensive Consistency the Key

Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer said he would like to see his unit be more consistent starting out Sunday.

“I think we’re a little bit inconsistent. Moving forward, the big goal this week is to be more consistent," Schottenheimer said. "We’ll do something that doesn’t make sense, then do a lot of really good things.”

Thus far, 77 percent of the yards gained by the Jets offense has come through the air. With the man-to-man defensive tradition of the Raiders, Schottenheimer believes QB Mark Sanchez and his corps of receivers could be poised for another big day.

“The Raiders are the Raiders — deep safety, man-to-man. We have some guys that we feel good about when they’re in single coverage,” he said.

Schottenheimer addressed C Colin Baxter, who will potentially make his first career start. Although Baxter is a rookie who has been a Jet for less than a month, Schottenheimer believes he's one cool customer.

“There won’t be a ton of adjusting," said Coach Schotty. "We go in with a game plan, and if we need to, we’ll adjust. We’re going to lean on the guys around him.”

Schwartz: Jets At Raiders Preview

September 23, 2011 12:54 PM

By Peter Schwartz

The task for the Jets was daunting even before Pro Bowl center Nick Mangold suffered a high ankle sprain in last week’s win over the Jaguars.

Gang Green begins a stretch of three straight road games on Sunday when they take on the Raiders in Oakland. That will be followed by contests at Baltimore and at New England.

A tough chore for even the best of teams including the 2-0 Jets, but they will be missing a very important offensive cog as Mangold will not make the trip to Oakland.

“He’s just not ready,” said head coach Rex Ryan. “It’s as simple as that. He’s doing really well, but with a high ankle sprain, going against these guys (the Raiders), traveling cross country, it’s not in his best interest.”

He had been lobbying to play but his streak of 82 consecutive starts since being drafted in 2006 will come to an end.

I

n the end, it was the smart decision to make.

Probably,” said Mangold. “Not the fun thing but probably the smart thing.”

It certainly won’t be fun for Mangold staying home and watching it on television, but its something he has to deal with.

“It’s going to be tough but you can’t argue with the body” said Mangold.

Mangold desperately wanted to play but wasn’t about to put the team in peril.

“You don’t want anything lingering and I think that’s the fear of the injury and trying to rush back before it’s ready,” said Mangold. “So I’m going to make sure it’s ready, but I’m going to make sure it’s ready as soon as possible.”

angold will continue his rehab and treatment in New Jersey and watch Sunday’s game at home. His goal now is to play next Sunday night in Baltimore.

“It’s getting better,” said Mangold. “Everyday it’s getting better. It’s just not good enough (right now).”

So, rookie Colin Baxter will make his first NFL start. He replaced Mangold in Sunday’s win over the Jaguars and that experience will come in handy when he lines up this week against the Raiders.

“I think it definitely helped,” said Baxter. “It definitely was an unexpected situation, so it will be nice this week to get to see the looks in practice and get to go through that and get coached up on the finer points of everything. I went in lst week knowing what to do, but a lot of the things I hadn’t really been taken through really in a detailed way. So this week, I get to go do it (and) I get to go watch it on film.”

Even without Mangold in the lineup, the Jets offense will look to gain show some consistency this Sunday. A good way for that to happen is to get the running game on track. It was a little better against Jacksonville but there is still plenty of room for improvement.

The Jets are averaging just 73 yards rushing through the first two games. That figure has the Jets ranked 28th in the NFL.

28th?

What happened to “Ground and Pound”?

“I think there are some holes there,” said quarterback Mark Sanchez. “It’s different, we’ve done kind of a different running attack I guess, with single back stuff. But I think our guys are doing really well with it. They’re communicating well, it’s just that we have to execute a little better, just a little bit better. Some of these can break and we can really hit our averages that we want to hit. We’ll break a run here soon.”

Shonn Greene is hoping that heading to Oakland will be good tonic for him. After all, it was back in 2009 when Greene, then a rookie, rushed fro 144 yards and 2 touchdowns on 19 carries in the Jets 38-0 win against the Raiders.

“I think our memory from two years ago is pretty good, so hopefully we look to go in there and do the same thing,” said Greene. “It was a good feeling, like I said, Leon went down and I kind of was shocked because that’s my first time going in. But I did a good job, and the offense was going well and everything went well and we won.”

The Jets and Raiders have enjoyed a storied rivalry dating back to their AFL days. So when these two teams hook up, it always conjures up memories of the past.

Considering the histories of the two teams, the Jets usually look at these contests as a David versus Goliath match-up.

“They’re kind of a legendary franchise,” said Ryan of the Raiders. “The silver and black…going to their place. With their fans and all that, it should be great. It should be a fun experience going over there and we’re just going to do whatever we can to get us a win.”

It won’t be easy. While the Raiders gave up 38 points in Buffalo this past week, the Jets are preparing for an Oakland defense that can make some plays. They have a front seven that includes the likes of Richard Seymour, Tommy Kelly and Rolando McClain and a secondary that includes Michael Huff.

“They’re doing a great job covering down the field,” said Sanchez. “They’re physical. They get after you at the line and they don’t let you get the release a lot of the time. It’s an active group, a tough group, a typical Raiders in your face, physical bunch. It’s going to be a good fight for us. We need to play really well.”

From a defensive standpoint, the Jets will have to concern themselves with a Silver and Black offense that is clearly defined by the scene in Rocky II when Mickey has Rocky chasing a chicken.

Why?

“We need speed,” said Mickey as Rocky was training for his rematch with Apollo Creed. “If you can catch this thing (the chicken), then you can catch greased lightning.”

Well the Raiders have followed that same motto over the years. Al Davis has always tried to put together an offense based on speed and a vertical passing game with players like quarterback Jason Campbell and running back Darren McFadden.

“That’s no surprise,” said Ryan. “They can throw five guys out there that can probably win most track events. It’s a typical Raider team.

They do a great job. It’s a tailback-driven offense with speed at the receivers and we understand that. Defensively, they’re going to get in your face and play a lot of man coverage. It’s one of those Raider traditions.”

Speaking of traditions, it’s been one for Jets wide receiver Plaxico Burress to catch at least one pass in a game. There have only been a handful of times when he hasn’t, including last week’s win over Jacksonville.

But this week, Burress could very well catch plenty of balls as he is matched up against the Silver and Black who play, for the most part, a man-to-man defense.

“If you’re a wide receiver, these are the kind of games you love to play in,” said Burress. “It’s up close and personal, man- to-man, ‘mano a mano’, to see who is the better guy. I’ve played in these games before, they’re fun and competitive.”

This is a huge game for the Jets. It’s the first of three straight away from the Meadowlands but you have to give the coaching staff some credit for one thing. They have the team focused on the task at hand.

They are not concerned about the Ravens and Patriots who will be the next two opponents.

The job that lies in front of them is to beat the Raiders and get to 3-0.

“The goal is to win them all,” said Burress. “But we’re just going to focus on the Oakland Raiders this week. It’s our first test, a west coast trip, we’ll be doing some things different this week.”

It’s easy for at least one other Jet to focus on this week’s game. For Mark Sanchez, it’s a return home to California where he’ll have plenty of family and friends making the trip from the Mission Viejo region to the Bay Area for the game.

And it’s clear that Sanchez is following Ryan’s lead about the importance of this first game of the road swing.

“Focusing on this first west coast trip,” said Sanchez. “Rex’s thing, since we both have been here has been, “Stay on east coast time.” It eliminates distractions out there, because bed check’s at 8:00 pacific time. We need to say hi to your family or whoever’s back home and get back in the hotel and get ready to play. Guys understand that. Get your sleep and get down when you can, study, and be ready to play.”

The first two games of the season haven’t exactly been Picassos. So if the Jets do come out ready to play, the rest of the NFL, including the Raiders this week had better watch out.

What remains to be seen is if the offense can function well without Mangold. The veterans on that offensive line will have to step up and help Baxter get through what is expected to be his first NFL start.

THE PREDICTION

Under normal circumstances, I would pick the Jets to win this game 31-10. But with the offense without Mangold and the likelihood of Sanchez being pressured into some mistakes, I still think the Jets will win but it will be a lot closer that they would hope for.

Jets 20 Raiders 14

WILL THE ROAD WARRIORS SOAR AGAIN?

The Jets have had plenty of success playing on the road over the last couple of seasons. Since Rex Ryan took over as head coach, the Jets have amassed a road mark of 15-7 (including 4-2 in the playoffs). The Jets’ 11-5 regular season road record is tied for 2nd best in the NFL since the start of the 2009 season.

The Jets have won 9 of their last 11 regular season road games and 13 of their 17 including the postseason. It’s a run that started with a 19-13 win over the Bills in Toronto back on December 3rd, 2009.

JETS/RAIDERS SERIES

I

s it just me or does it seem like the Jets and Raiders play every year in Oakland?

They didn’t play anywhere last season, but in 2009, the Jets blanked the Silver and Black in Oakland 38-0. A lot of things happened that day. Thomas Jones and Shonn Greene both rushed for over 100 yards, Leon Washington suffered a season ending injury, and Mark Sanchez was caught by CBS cameras eating a hot dog on the sideline.

This Sunday marks the 38th regular season meeting between the Jets and Raiders. Oakland holds a 20-15-1 advantage but the Jets have won four of the last five scoring at least 23 points in all 4 wins.

CROW EARNS DEFENSIVE HONORS

Jets cornerback Antonio Cromartie was named AFC defensive player of the week for his performance against the Jaguars. Cromartie recorded two interceptions, two passes defended and three tackles against Jacksonville. He also had two kickoff returns for a combined 85 yards.

THE CLASS OF 2011

The Jets will induct running back Freeman McNeil, wide receiver Al Toon, linebacker Larry Grantham, and defensive tackle Gerry Philbin into their Ring of Honor on Monday October 17th when Gang Green hosts the Dolphins.

McNeil ranks second on the Jets all-time rushing list with 8,074 yards. He was the Jets’ 1st round pick (third overall) in 1981 and spent all 12 of his NFL seasons with Gang Green. The former UCLA star and native of Jackson, Mississippi still resides on Long Island where the Jets used to hold training camp and practice.

Toon’s career was cut short after suffering at least nine concussions during his eight-year career (all with the Jets). Toon was Gang Green’s first round pick (10th overall) in 1985 and was one of the greatest wide receives in franchise history. A three-time Pro Bowler, Toon’s best season was in 1988 when he hauled in 93 catches. He retired at the age of 29 as a result of post-concussion syndrome. Toon’s son Nick has followed in his father’s footsteps, as he is a wide receiver at the University of Wisconsin.

Grantham, a member of the Jets’ Super Bowl III squad, is one of only twenty players that played in the AFL for its entire ten-year run and is one of only seven AFL players that played their entire career with just one time. A star linebacker at the University of Mississippi, Grantham was the Jets’ MVP in 1971. He was named to the AFL all-star team five times and was selected to the All-Time All-AFL second team.

Philbin was the Jets’ third round pick out of the University of Buffalo in 1964. He was an AFL all-star in 1968 and 1969 and recorded 14 ½ sacks (not an official stat back then) during the 1968 Super Bowl III Championship campaign.

T

hese four men will join Joe Namath, Weeb Ewbank, Winston Hill, Don Maynard, Joe Klecko, and Curtis Martin who made up last year’s inaugural Ring of Honor class.

COMMUNITY CORNER

Jets cornerback Kyle Wilson and DL Marcus Dixon visited Ridgedale Middle School on Tuesday to kickoff the NFL Play 60 Challenge. The program will take place at select Madison, Florham Park, and New Vernon, New Jersey Schools. The Jets and the American Heart Association have teamed up to battle childhood obesity.

The Play 60 Challenge is a six-week long program created by the NFL and American Heart Association that encourages students to participate in at least 30 minutes of physical activity in school and an additional 30 minutes of physical activity outside of school. This program allows students to track their exercise and progress in fun and engaging ways.

Wilson and Dixon were on hand to inspire nearly 400 sixth graders engaging with them at a physical education class practicing physical activities.

Then, the players took part in a student assembly to kick off the NFL Play 60 Challenge, explaining the importance of physical activity and eating healthy. There were also giveaways and it was announced that students who complete the six-week challenge would be entered to win a chance to be featured in the Play60 Jets football game on Thanksgiving (Thurs., Nov 24, 2011) at MetLIfe Stadium.

For more information on the NFL Play 60 program, visit www.heart.org/nflplay60challenge.

That’s all for now! Check back after the game for more. Enjoy the game!

Fri Sep 23 10:07am EDT

The Raiders are still mad that Mark Sanchez ate a hot dog

By MJD

The Raiders are still mad that Mark Sanchez ate a hot dogIn the midst of a 2009 clobbering of the Oakland Raiders, New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez(notes) got hungry on the sidelines and wolfed down a hot dog. Despite his best wiener-concealing efforts, television cameras caught him snacking, and he apologized after the game. It somehow became a national story.

Given that it was a 38-0 game, Sanchez had been ill and hadn't eaten much that week, and the opposing quarterback was JaMarcus Russell(notes) and who knows what was in his Gatorade bottle, I never thought the hot dog scandal was a big deal.

But apparently the Raiders did, and still do. They have not forgotten, and head coach Hue Jackson has incorporated the dastardly wiener-munching into his pregame motivational tactics. From Conor Orr at NJ.com:

"Coach showed that to us," Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly(notes) told the Oakland Tribune. "It was just a reminder. We're going to remind him of that during the game."

Oakland coach Hue Jackson didn't come right out and admit it, but he did make reference to making Sanchez pay for the mistake.

"I hope we can make it more interesting for him so he doesn't have to eat hot dogs," Jackson said. "Hopefully we can take the mustard and the relish and the onions and all that and put it away and play a little football."

I say if it's 38-0, you get to eat all the hot dogs you want. In fact, the other team should have to gently feed them to you. I can't imagine any Raiders players truly getting any motivation from this, but if they do, more power to them. Whatever works.

But if it's fair game for them, it is for the Jets, too. I say they sign Kobayashi to a one-week contract, start him at wide receiver, and make him eat three hot dogs between every play in the third quarter.

Hue Jackson talks a lot of sh*t so far, he's reminding me a bit of Rex with some of the soundbytes come from out west, except..... **** him, he can eat a dick.

Jets C Nick Mangold ruled out for Sunday, will not travel to Oakland

Published: Friday, September 23, 2011, 12:20 PM Updated: Friday, September 23, 2011, 12:43 PM

Nick Mangold confirmed that his consecutive start streak of 82 games will end this Sunday as he watches the game from home.

"It's going to be tough, but you can't argue with the body," Mangold said.

He was out at practice today in the rain, offering some last-minute guidance to fill-in Colin Baxter, who said he'll continue absorbing the offense in preparation until a few hours before kickoff.

Mangold said that he's seen Baxter gain some footing amid their week-long cram session and expects him to play well against Oakland.

For Rex Ryan, Mangold did his best to prolong the decision as long as he could. But at the end of the day, the high ankle sprain took away any realistic expectation that Mangold would see the field against the Raiders.

"He's just not ready," Ryan said. "It's as simple as that. He's doing well, but a high ankle sprain going against these guys, traveling across country, it's not in his best interest. We thought this earlier in the week, at least I did. But when you play in 82 straight games you're going to do whatever you can to keep it going. He doesn't know any different."

Ryan said that next week's game against Baltimore is a possibility.

Mangold wore a brace around the injured ankle today, which is an upgrade from the bulky walking boot that had been on throughout the week.

Baxter said has been receiving advice from all ends of the offensive line this week and Ryan praised his toughness. Baxter, who came to the team at the beginning of September, reminded the team's personnel department of Rob Turner on film.

"They've been really great," Baxter said. "Helping me out with certain things, supporting me. "(They told me) Just go play. It's a higher level, competition is better and everything but it's just football."

WR Rob Turner (broken leg) and Logan Payne (wrist) are out.

DT Muhammad Wilkerson (shoulder) is questionable and was limited in practice.

Ryan said all of the following are listed as probable and will play: DT Mike DeVito (shoulder) DT Marcus Dixon (knee), LB David Harris (toe), WR Santonio Holmes (quad), S Jim Leonhard (hamstring), WR Derrick Mason (knee), QB Mark Sanchez (right elbow), and S Eric Smith (ankle).

All of the above were limited in practice today except for Dixon, Mason and Sanchez who practiced full.

Jets at Raiders Game Preview

By Rebecca Corman

Posted 1 hour ago

The Raiders host the Jets in the Silver and Black's 2011 regular season home opener.

The Oakland Raiders return home to O.co Coliseum to play host to the New York Jets in the first home game of the regular season. Coming into the game with a 1-1 record, the Raiders look to hand the Jets their first loss of the 2011 season. “They’re good, they’re tough, they’re mean and they’re coming to the O [O.co Coliseum] to play the Raiders,” said Head Coach Hue Jackson. “Looking forward to it. Let’s get it on.”

The Raiders have been away from the Coliseum for over three weeks and are looking forward to playing in front of Raider Nation again. “It’s been awhile,” said WR Derek Hagan. “Now we’re at home, we’re looking forward to it; we know our fans are looking forward to it. It’s our first home game. Should be rowdy in there and hopefully we play a good four quarters and come out with a victory.”

LB Kamerion Wimbley, in his second year with the Raiders, remembers the feeling of playing in front of the Raider Nation and is excited to return. “I’m [excited for] the energy and the excitement the Raider fans bring,” said Wimbley. “The Black Hole is definitely always rocking so we’re just looking forward to it. Everybody gets into it, we want everyone to come out and support us because we need them. The Jets are a good team. We think we’ll be able to go out and put out a good challenge for them and hopefully win the game.”

DE Lamarr Houston is also fired up to play in front of the home crowd. “It’s going to be exciting,” said Houston. “The Black Hole is going to be loud, it’s the home opener, doesn’t get any better than the Raider Nation.”

Putting on a show the past two games, RB Darren McFadden is ready to show Raider Nation what he, and his teammates, can put together on the field. “It’s always great playing here in front of the Raider Nation so I’m looking forward to it,” said McFadden. “I’ll be glad to see them out there and see how energized they’re going to be.”

The Raiders are excited to see O.co packed with fans in Silver and Black, but they are focused on the challenge the Jets present. “It’s a great test,” said Houston. “They’re always in the AFC Championship. They’re at where we want to be. We’re working to get there. It’s a great test early in the season; it’s a great chance to get on a run.”

The Jets have played in the AFC Championship game the past two years and have continued their winning ways so far in 2011. “They’re a strong team,” said Wimbley. “They’ve been to the playoffs the last couple of years, we know we have a challenge when we play them and we’re looking forward to getting this bad taste out of our mouths from the last game. All the guys are excited. We’re out here working hard and we know the Coliseum will be packed with Raider fans so it’s going to be exciting. There’s no place I’d rather be than in there at the Coliseum playing the Jets on Sunday.”

The Raiders defense will match up with Jets QB Mark Sanchez, WRs Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress, RBs Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson, and TE Dustin Keller. “Everybody just has to know their assignments and play their assignments and do their job,” said safety Jerome Boyd.

Those jobs include stopping a formidable Jets rushing game. “This is a team that runs the ball extremely well since Rex [Ryan] has been there,” said defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan. “”They have been the leading rush team since he took over as head coach, but Brian [schottenheimer] does a great job of mixing in their play-action passes to match their run game. It’s going to be a challenge for us but the initial goal every week, or objective, for us is to stop the run, and force this to be a one-dimensional team, and we’ll do that.”

DT Tommy Kelly has listened closely to Coach Bresnahan and is intent on turning the Jets into a one-dimensional offense. “You can’t really worry about stopping everybody, you have to stop what they like to do which is the run,” said Kelly. “So we slow down the run, then we can pretty much know what they’re going to do. Try to make it one-dimensional so they can try to throw it here and there.”

“I believe our coaches are putting in a good game plan for us to be able to be effective and put us in the best position to come up with the win,” said Wimbley. “As long as we do what they told us to do, I think we’ll be good.”

The entire defense knows they’ll be challenged this week with the Jets, but they view the intense competition as a good thing. “Playing this position you look forward to good competition because when you get to the playoffs and down the stretch these are teams that you’re going to have to face,” said CB Joe Porter. “And to have them early in the season and see where we match up, it’ll be a good test.”

On the other side of the ball, the Jets have two of the most highly-touted cornerbacks in the NFL with Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie. Revis is impressive because of his “ability to play the ball,” said QB Jason Campbell. “He plays the ball very well in the air, he’s a smart corner. Just like a lot of great corners you always see a guy stick his nose in the run game. That’s something he does; he doesn’t shy away from it. He’s a tremendous talent and like I said, those guys don’t come around very often, but he’s one of them.”

On the other side of the field is Cromartie who Campbell says is also extremely athletic. “He’s one of those guys that when he sees the ball in the air, he tries to go attack it,” said Campbell. “He’s pretty much like a receiver on defense and we understand he has great hands, he returns kickoffs, so he’s an athletic corner that probably somewhere in his career played both sides of the ball, college or high school.”

The two cornerbacks have the ability to create opportunities for the Jets defensive front. “Oh, they are good,” said Coach Jackson. “Revis and Cromartie make their front seven very good because they are good cover guys, which gives those guys a chance to get home. When you can cover and create pressure, obviously, it is tough. It is a tremendous challenge for our offensive football team, but if we are the kind of offense I think we are and what we’re becoming, we’ll look forward to it. It is going to be a tremendous battle, they are good, and we think we have a chance to be pretty good, so it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

The Raiders offense and particularly the wide receivers feel up to the test. “I know we’re definitely looking forward to it,” said Hagan. “Obviously, it’s a challenge. You definitely want to play against the best and it’s going to be a fight out there for four quarters and definitely looking forward to it. We have to come prepared and make sure we do the right things and hopefully we come out with a victory.”

WR Denarius Moore had a breakout game against the Bills last week, in which he had 171 total yards and one touchdown, and is not viewing Revis and Cromartie any different than any other cornerbacks. “Like any other DB that’s coming in, we watch film, see what their techniques are, see what they like to do and compete against them on Sunday,” said Moore.

The sentiment in the Raiders locker room is to just go out and play Raiders football. “We’re just going to be confident in our abilities and go out there and play football,” said WR Darrius Heyward-Bey. “We can’t be intimidated by anybody and what they’ve done in the past. We just have to go out there and make plays.”

Rookie G Stefen Wisniewski is excited to face off with the Jets defense. “Absolutely looking forward to it,” said Wisniewski. “Any time you go against one of the best defenses in the league, as an offense, you’re excited because that’s when you find out what you’re made of. They’ve got great players everywhere and when they get you in 3rd and long they like to throw all kinds of crazy looks at you and we’ve been working our butts off to try to be ready to pick up all those things.”

T

he offense is not looking to change their style of play based on the reputation of the Jets defense. “[We’re going to play] just the same way we always do,” said FB Marcel Reece. “Everyone knows we can run the ball and that’s what we’re always going to do. There’s no doubt about the way we can run the ball. We’re not going to change anything because it’s the Jets. We’re just going to do what we do and try to execute.”

The Jets, led by Head Coach Rex Ryan, know they’ll be facing a vastly different Raiders team than the one two years ago, including the addition of DE Richard Seymour. “I think that Richard Seymour is playing outstanding I can tell you that much and he obviously knows the system and everything else,” said Coach Ryan. “I think he’s been absolutely fantastic. They have the size, speed and, in the back, it’s an offense that features the running back and a vertical passing game as everybody knows, but they’re really doing a good job and their running back has a lot of speed.”

Both Coach Ryan and Revis are impressed with the Raiders starting quarterback. “I’ve played against Jason before when he was at the Redskins and he’s a great quarterback he can make all the throws,” said Revis. “He’s got a strong arm he can throw the ball probably like 100 yards. He’s got a big arm and he can make plays outside the pocket as well. I’ve got high respect for Jason Campbell.”

“I see a guy that’s got a bazooka for an arm, he can make all the throws,” said Coach Ryan about Campbell. “I remember going to his workout at Auburn and he was sitting there on a knee and threw the ball like 60 yards. He’s got that kind of arm talent. He’s got mobility and now he’s been in the league a long time so I think this is probably the best I’ve seen Jason Campbell.”

Coach Ryan and Revis were also impressed with Moore. “I’ll tell you he had a huge game this past week about 150 yards receiving and a reverse for 25 yards he really did a nice job,” said Coach Ryan. “That catch he made in double coverage against Buffalo was big time.”

The Raiders and the Jets, both with numerous offensive and defensive playmakers, will battle this Sunday in sold out O.co Coliseum. “I’m really looking forward to the fans being out there and winning this game and being part of something special this season,” said Heyward-Bey.

T

he Silver and Black host the Jets this Sunday, September 25 at 1:05 p.m. PT at O.co Coliseum. For complete coverage, visit Raiders.com, the official Raiders Facebook page, and Twitter.

One Key if Jets Want to Take Away a Sunday W

Posted by Eric Allen on September 23, 2011 – 1:30 pm

There have been many positives to take from the Jets’ 2-0 start, but nothing stands out more than their NFL-leading five interceptions and their seven takeaways.

We put an emphasis on that this season and it’s been turning out great for us,” said LB David Harris. “We had four interceptions last week and that’s a good number for us. Hopefully we can do it again this week.”

If the trend continues Sunday in Oakland, the Green & White will remain unbeaten. The season’s first two weeks have been just what Rex Ryan/Mike Pettine prescribed for one of the NFL’s top defensive units.

There was the timely Mike DeVito game-saving fourth-quarter strip-sack of Tony Romo in Week 1, with Sione Pouha recovering the fumble and keeping the comeback alive. Then Darrelle Revis intercepted Romo in the final seconds to set up Nick Folk’s gamewinner from 50 yards.

Facing a journeyman quarterback in Week 2, the Green & White victimized Luke McCown for four interceptions. Corner Antonio Cromartie had a pair and LB Josh Mauga and S Eric Smith had one apiece as the INTs led to 13 points in the rout at MetLife Stadium.

“It’s something that we’ve been focusing on,” said Smith. “It’s something we talked about after last year — we need to cause more turnovers and get the ball back to our offense in scoring position.”

The Raiders, who have averaged 29 points through Week 2, have turned the ball over three times and Jason Campbell has only been intercepted once while completing 66 percent of his passes with three touchdowns. In 13 games last season Campbell threw only eight interceptions, and he owns a career TD/INT ratio of 71/47.

“He makes all the good reads for them. He puts the offense in right plays in certain situations,” Harris said. “He can make any throw, and he’s a good passer outside the pocket because he’s so mobile and you have to keep your eyes on him at all times.”

The 6’5”, 230-pound Campbell has a lot of speed to work with on the outside with Darrius Heyward-Bey expected back and rookie Denarius Moore ready for an encore after breaking out against the Bills, but both Jacoby Ford (hamstring) and Louis Murphy (groin) are unlikely to go. Regardless who is in the lineup, shots will be taken and Campbell has the arm to get the ball downfield.

“Some of those balls he throws, he’s even overthrowing some of his receivers and those guys are moving,” Smitty said. “You’re not deep enough when you’re in the half field or in the middle of the field.”

While TE Kevin Boss isn’t a burner, the Raiders will be excited to add him to the lineup after an MCL sprain kept him on the shelf for the first two weeks. Campbell might elect to attack the middle of the field with the 6’6”, 255-pounder.

“He’s a very good receiving tight end. He does a good job using his body, getting open,” Smith said. “He’s not necessarily as fast as those guys, but he does a good job getting open and being like a possession tight end.”

The Raiders offensive line, considered a question mark before the season, has allowed just one sack and Campbell has solid feet. Darren McFadden (42 carries, 222 yards, 5.3 avg., 1 TD) and Michael Bush (13-53-4.1-1) provide a nice speed-power 1-2 punch at RB and the Raiders will challenge the Jets’ stout rush defense.

“McFadden is a good back. He can hit the home run any play,” Harris said. “He’s a tall [6’2”, 220], fast guy who likes to run on the perimeter. But they also have a good running back in Michael Bush [6’1” 246], who’s come in and is more of their inside, powerful runner. They have a good overall offense. They can hit the deep ball on you anytime with those speedy wide receivers and Jason Campbell can make any throw, so we have to be on our ‘A’ game.”

This is a far different offense from the bunch the Jets dominated by 38-0 at the Coliseum in 2009. Former No. 1 pick JaMarcus Russell turned the ball over three times in the first half of that shutout and the Raiders gave it away four times overall. But the Jets’ goal will be the same: Turn it over and get out of Northern California with another win.

Archived