Jets News 9-28

flgreen

NY Jets address run defense, aware NFL teams may try to duplicate Oakland Raiders plan of attack

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, September 28th 2011, 4:00 AM

Rex Ryan's confidence in his defense remains as strong as ever, but the glaring errors that plagued the Jets in their 34-24 loss in the Black Hole on Sunday are now preserved for everyone to see. The Jets' inability to prevent the Raiders from gouging them with runs outside the tackles is the most troublesome part for a typically stout rush defense.

"It's a copycat league," linebacker Bart Scott said. "I'm sure teams will try to test our edges again. We just have to make sure that we put it on film that our edges are corrected and then we won't see it anymore."

Linebackers, linemen and safeties were out of position or manhandled at the point of attack in an embarrassing performance that yielded the most yards on the ground in 41 games under Ryan. Darren McFadden earned AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors after carving up the Jets for 171 yards and two touchdowns.

Although Scott insisted that the defense "just had a hiccup," there's no doubt that the Ravens will try to exploit those weaknesses on Sunday night in the second game of Gang Green's critical three-week road stretch.

The defense, which gave up 390 and 383 yards in two of the first three games, will have to improve to have any chance of winning a suddenly stacked AFC East that includes the undefeated Bills (3-0) to go along with the high-octane Patriots. The Jets' uncharacteristically rank 31st in rush defense, allowing 136.7 yards on the ground. Only the Rams have been worse against the run. Gang Green allows 4.8 yards per carry, tied for 28th in the NFL. No team has given up more rushing touchdowns (five) than the Jets.

"It's a long season," Ryan said. "We're certainly not starting off with a bang, but I have confidence that we'll get it fixed."

TAYLOR: SANCHEZ NO HENNE

It didn't take long for Jason Taylor to revert to his familiar anti-Jet rhetoric. Taylor, who re-signed with the Dolphins after the Jets released him in the offseason, believes that Miami quarterback Chad Henne is better than Mark Sanchez.

"I think Chad has grown immensely since I left here a year ago," Taylor told a Miami NBC-TV affiliate. "I saw a kid in New York - Mark Sanchez - that is young. I don't think he's as talented as Chad Henne."

Taylor, of course, was Public Enemy No. 1 for Jets fans before they reluctantly accepted him last season. He apparently hasn't examined the numbers very closely. Sanchez is 25-15 as a starter (including the playoffs) with four road playoff wins. Henne is 13-17 with no playoff appearances. Through three weeks this season, Sanchez has completed 63.1% of his passes with six touchdowns and four interceptions to help the Jets to a 2-1 start. Henne has a 56.5% completion rate, four touchdowns and three interceptions for the 0-3 Dolphins.

Sanchez didn't take Taylor's stance personally.

"Of course, he's saying the right thing," Sanchez told ESPN radio. "That's his teammate and that's his quarterback. I hope he thinks he's the best. If he would have said that last year, I'd be a little upset. But that's what he's supposed to do. He's building Chad up, and that's just fine. . . . It's no big deal. . . . Who cares? He's supposed to say that."

THE NOSE KNOWS

Sanchez doesn't feel any ill-effects from the broken nose he suffered against the Raiders. "It feels a lot better now and we'll worry about it at the end of the season," Sanchez told ESPN radio Tuesday. "It's no big deal."

He said that he'll wear a protective visor for now.

Jason Taylor's comments about Mark Sanchez don't fluster the Jets quarterback. (Jed Jacobsohn/Getty)

HONOR ROLL

Jets announced that former Gang Green greats Larry Grantham, Freeman McNeil, Gerry Philbin and Al Toon will be enshrined in the team's Ring of Honor at halftime of the Oct. 17 game against the Dolphins.

The team announced that DB Julian Posey, TE Martell Webb & WR Michael Campbell were signed to the practice squad. Linebacker Matthias Berning and DB Andrew Sendejo were released. DE/OLB Eddie Jones has also been added to the practice squad, according to a source.

BUDDY STILL FIGHTIN'

Buddy Ryan will soon begin radiation therapy following his recent surgery in Kentucky. Rex and Rob Ryan's father put off surgery for a few days so that he could attend the Jets-Cowboys opener on Sept. 11. Buddy is fighting cancer that has spread to his lymph nodes in his neck, according to the Herald-Leader in Lexington, Ky. He will soon begin a five-six week radiation treatment plan.

"So far, I've never lost to cancer," Buddy Ryan said. "I'm planning to beat it this time, too."

He also didn't mince words when asked about his 1993 sideline scuffle in Houston when he threw a punch at current Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, who was an Oilers assistant at the time.

"You mean Kevin Gil-dumb?" Ryan said. "He was wrong. He came at me and what are you going to do when someone comes at you? I slugged him."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/28/2011-09-28_ny_jets_address_run_defense_aware_nfl_teams_may_try_to_duplicate_oakland_raiders.html#ixzz1ZFiznoEO

Jets' Sanchez passes on answering Namath

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 8:52 AM, September 28, 2011

Posted: 1:32 AM, September 28, 2011

More Print

A broken nose might cost Mark Sanchez a few future magazine covers, but the Jets quarterback said he is not worried about it keeping him off the field.

“It feels a lot better now,” Sanchez said in his weekly paid appearance on ESPN Radio. “We’ll just worry about it at the end of the season.”

Sanchez said he felt as if he played better with the visor on his helmet after breaking his nose in the third quarter.

He will continue to wear the visor on a “game-by-game” basis.

Sanchez was asked about Joe Namath’s critical comments this week and answered as politically correct as possible, calling it a “touchy subject.”

“I want to be careful answering this because without a doubt I respect Joe Namath to the fullest,” Sanchez said.

“I can understand why he would criticize the team like that, and I kind of see where he’s coming from with an outsider’s perspective.

“But at the same time you have to understand in this building these guys prepare their tails off.”

Sanchez also refrained from firing back at former teammate Jason Taylor, who said that his Dolphins teammate Chad Henne is more physically talented than Sanchez.

“He’s one of the best teammates I’ve ever had,” Sanchez said. “He’s saying the right thing. That’s his teammate and that’s his quarterback.

“If he said that last year, I’d be a little upset.

“That’s what he’s supposed to do. He’s building Chad up and that’s fine.”

The Jets signed TE Josh Baker to the active roster from the practice squad, taking the spot of TE Jeff Cumberland, who has been placed on injured reserve.

The Jets signed WR Michael Campbell, DB Julian Posey and TE Martell Webb to the practice squad, and released LB Matthias Berning and DB Andrew Sendejo from the practice squad.

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/sanchez_feeling_better_cE9tAlOFvUVrEstIwgPBKJ#ixzz1ZFjQkWXI

Hey, Joe, Jets rely on Rex's confidence

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 9:01 AM, September 28, 2011

Posted: 1:31 AM, September 28, 2011

More Print

headshotBrian Costello

The Jets hired Rex Ryan as their head coach 980 days ago. He's only caused divisive opinions on about 978 of them.

Ryan finds himself under attack this week from Jets legend Joe Namath, who sounded more like "Joe Willie from Beaver Falls. First time, long time," when he ripped Ryan for pumping up his team too much.

This criticism of Ryan has to stop. It's ridiculous. People forget what this franchise was like when Ryan took over. Do you want Mealy-Mouthed Mangini back saying nothing every week?

Ryan's braggadocio is an easy target when the Jets lose a game like Sunday's. The vultures circle and scream about Ryan putting a target on the Jets' backs or that the team is too cocky.

BELIEF SYSTEM: Joe Namath has it wrong: Rex Ryan's confident coaching style fuels his Jets team.

Neil Miller

BELIEF SYSTEM: Joe Namath has it wrong: Rex Ryan's confident coaching style fuels his Jets team.

The 34-24 loss to the Raiders had less to do with Ryan's pregame speeches and more to do with a lack of tackling by his defense. If you want to rip him for that, go ahead. But to question how he prepares his team when none of us really knows what goes on in team meetings is a waste of breath.

Listen to what Jason Taylor, who spent 2010 with the Jets, told NBC in Miami about playing for Ryan:

"He's the anti-normal NFL coach," Taylor said. "But the beauty of him, and what his players like, is he's ultra-confident and optimistic."

Taylor talked about the Jets' playoff victory over the Patriots in January. Though the Jets had lost 45-3 to the Pats a month earlier, Taylor said Ryan made the Jets believe there was no chance the Patriots could beat them again.

"I promise to you on my kids' eyeballs there wasn't a person on our football team that thought we were going to lose to New England," Taylor said. "That's how confident we were.

"It was ingrained in us so much that it became us."

Namath is the better former Jet, but Taylor is the better source on this one because he actually has been in Ryan's practices and meetings.

It's funny that this week's opponent is the Ravens. Ryan got his coaching degree in Baltimore, and desperately wanted to be the team's head coach when Brian Billick was fired after the 2007 season. But Ryan's style even hurt him there.

The Ravens passed him over to hire John Harbaugh. Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti had not addressed the reason he did not hire Ryan until this summer during a conference call with season-ticket holders.

"From a chemistry standpoint . . . we really liked John and we thought it was going to be tougher for Rex to bring the whole team together after him spending 10 years on one side of the ball that was the dominant side of the ball," Bisciotti said.

Bisciotti declined an interview request this week from The Post.

Jets wide receiver Derrick Mason was on the Ravens when Ryan was passed over and said the players were disappointed. He also said the idea of Ryan being divisive is wrong.

"Everybody loved him throughout that football team," Mason told The Post. "I don't think there was one guy who didn't enjoy Rex. You had a bunch of offensive guys that loved him. Those are things you don't get in other places where the defensive coordinator is liked by the offensive guys."

Ryan has accomplished a near-perfect balance between being a player's coach and a disciplinarian. He knows when to scream at his players and when to laugh with them.

Neil Miller

Confidence is the fuel that runs Ryan's Jets, and it has resulted in two trips to the AFC title game.

"It starts with the out-there-and-in-front head coach saying we're going to kick everybody's you know what," Taylor said of Ryan. "He writes the check and you've got to cash them. At some point, you start to believe, 'You know what, we have enough money in the bank to cash these checks.' "

No one should understand that better than Namath.

Line must prevent Sanchez beatdowns

Mark Sanchez looked as if he had just lost a fight after Sunday's loss to the Raiders. He had a red welt under his right eye and his nose was a little swollen.

It was a fitting look for Sanchez's season so far. The third-year quarterback is taking a beating.

The Raiders sacked him four times in the second half, and Kamerion Wimbley broke Sanchez's nose on one of them. This comes one week after he injured his arm on Matt Roth's helmet and two weeks after the Cowboys sent him for concussion tests.

Protecting the quarterback has become a major problem for the Jets, who have allowed nine sacks, eighth most in the NFL.

Whether you think Sanchez is a franchise quarterback or a fraud, the Jets cannot afford to lose him. Not unless you want to see Mark Brunell, who turned 41 two weeks ago, under center.

The offensive line has taken a step back with the retirement of Damien Woody, and it could be a costly one. If Sanchez is going to throw 43 times a game, like he did Sunday, the Jets have to keep him upright.

Taylor not Fin-ished tweaking

Jason Taylor is officially a Dolphin again, and back taking shots at the Jets.

Taylor, who spent last season with the Jets, told NBC in Miami that Mark Sanchez is not as physically talented as Dolphins quarterback Chad Henne.

"We need to grow and we need to continue to change, and I think Chad has grown immensely since I left here a year-and-a-half ago," Taylor said. "Chad has all the talent to do it, and he's developing that demeanor and that swagger you need to play that position.

"I saw a kid in New York, Mark Sanchez, that is young, I don't think he's as talented as Chad Henne, physically. But he has that demeanor, he has that little swagger, he understands the position that he's in and he has a good team around him."

Because the two quarterbacks play in the AFC East and were drafted a year apart, they often have been compared. But Sanchez has a clear edge in the most important category -- winning.

He is 25-15 as a starter with the Jets, including four playoff wins. Henne is 13-17 as a starter and was on the bench for the only playoff game of his career.

Taylor said kind things about the Jets and Rex Ryan, but he was known early in his career for tweaking the Jets. It will be interesting to hear what he has to say leading up to the team's Monday Night meeting on Oct. 17.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/pros_confidence_ONpJ5xGlQ4skbdJnv9PY1H#ixzz1ZFjtOMvZ

Pelzman: Mark Sanchez's initial reads failing

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Record

Print | E-mail

Joe Namath wasn't the only notable Jets quarterback to disagree with Rex Ryan this week.

The current one had a difference of opinion, too, although not as well-publicized as the current Namath-Ryan war of words.

After the Jets' 34-24 loss at Oakland on Sunday, Ryan said the offense played well enough to win. He blamed the defeat on the defense in particular, and that unit's inability to stop the run.

But as Mark Sanchez said after the game, "I think we all had our hand in this. I don't think there is one side of the ball to blame. … I wouldn't point a finger at the defense. There's plenty more where we could get better on offense as well."

And that includes Sanchez. Granted, he has taken a physical pounding this season. He was sent for a concussion test after the opener against Dallas, injured his elbow against Jacksonville, then suffered a broken nose against the Raiders. However, Sanchez said Tuesday on his weekly radio spot on ESPN Radio that the broken nose is "no big deal," and added, "I'll break my nose every game as long as we're going to win."

Sanchez has been sacked nine times, after suffering 27 all of last season. His protection is an issue, but Sanchez needs to raise his game.

He will wear a visor for the next few games to protect against reinjuring the nose, and needs to do a better job of scanning the field from behind that shield. Sanchez admitted after the loss that his first-quarter interception cost the Jets some momentum.

The score was tied at 7 when Jeremy Kerley returned a punt 53 yards to the Oakland 24. But Sanchez gave away a scoring chance on first down when he threw to a well-covered Derrick Mason and was intercepted by Tyvon Branch.

"That takes away at least a guaranteed three points, if not seven," Sanchez lamented. "That could have broken their will, who knows? … I'm just kicking myself really for not throwing it away. That stuff can't happen. It just hurts our team. So I need to eliminate that."

At least he knows he made a mistake. Since his rookie season, Sanchez always has been a stand-up guy when it comes to owning up to his miscues. But he needs to start marrying words with actions.

Yes, quarterbacks are going to throw picks. It's part of the territory. But Sanchez, in his third year in the NFL, still has a habit of locking on to his primary read and not looking elsewhere. He did that on a third-quarter incompletion to a slanting Plaxico Burress on fourth-and-2 from the Oakland 37. He looked nowhere else.

These days, Sanchez may be looking even more at his initial read, because he isn't sure how much time he'll have to go through his progressions. So he definitely needs better protection from the O-line, and if he gets it, he needs to capitalize on it.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

A look ahead: Mike Pettine on the hot seat

The Record

Print | E-mail

Jets (2-1) at Ravens (2-1)

At M&T Bank Stadium

Sunday, 8:20 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2; Radio: ESPN-AM 1050

Early line: Ravens by 3 1/2

Matchup

This will be coach Rex Ryan’s first trip back to Baltimore for a regular-season game since leaving the job as Ravens defensive coordinator in January 2009. The Jets seek revenge for a 10-9 loss to Baltimore on opening night a year ago. The Jets are 15-8 on the road under Ryan, counting playoffs and Sunday’s loss at Oakland. This will be the Jets’ first visit to Baltimore since 2007. In that game, former Jet Kellen Clemens made his first NFL start at QB in a 20-13 loss.

On the hot seat

Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine: The Jets allowed a whopping 234 rushing yards to Oakland and need to make a lot of corrections. However, the problem was that the Jets were getting beat physically at the point of attack, so it wasn’t all about defensive schemes. Still, Pettine figures to be just as motivated as his head coach. He was the Ravens’ defensive line coach until Ryan brought him to the Jets.

Game plan

The Jets still haven’t run the ball as effectively as they would like, but will try again. It won’t be easy against a Baltimore defense that limited them to three field goals a year ago and blanked St. Louis until late in the third quarter in a 37-7 blowout Sunday. The Jets also will need to do a better job of protecting QB Mark Sanchez, who was sacked four times and suffered a broken nose at Oakland. The Ravens had five sacks against the Rams. The Jets must be wary of fourth-year Baltimore QB Joe Flacco, who threw for 389 yards against the Rams as the Ravens shelved their usual conservative approach. Flacco threw three touchdowns to rookie Torrey Smith, who was filling in for the injured Lee Evans.

— J.P. Pelzman

September 28, 2011 7:31 AM 8 comments

Source: Jets sign OLB Aaron Maybin to 53-man roster

BY Manish Mehta

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have signed outside linebacker Aaron Maybin to the 53-man roster. Gang Green initially signed the former first-round pick after Buffalo released him during training camp. Maybin made the Jets’ 53-man roster on cutdown day only to get cut shorly thereafter after the Jets were awarded a few players off waivers.

Maybin, the 2009 11th overall pick by the Bills, was impressive in his brief stay with the Jets, showing his edge pass rushing skills in two preseason game appearances. He had 1 1/2 sacks in the preseason finale against the Eagles.

Maybin worked out with the Titans after the Jets cut him, but wasn't offered a contract.

The News reported during final cutdowns that the team viewed Maybin as a luxury at the time. He was cut because of greater needs at other positions. The Jets told Maybin that they'd like to bring him back if the opportunity presented itself. A roster spot opened up this week when the team decided to place backup offensive lineman Rob Turner on season-ending Injured Reserve.

Now the hope is that Gang Green can take advantage of Maybin's pass-rushing skills and eventually develop him into a full-time player.

NOTES: Former Jets' receivers David Clowney and Mardy Gilyard worked out for the Titans on Tuesday.

For more Jets news, follow Manish Mehta on Twitter at http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Jets re-sign Aaron Maybin to 53-man roster

Published: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 7:51 AM Updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 7:57 AM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Aaron Maybin is back with the Jets.

The Jets have re-signed the outside linebacker/pass rusher, according to a person with knowledge of the transaction. That person requested anonymity because the team has not yet announced the move.

Maybin, a former first-round pick out of Penn State, signed with the Jets in training camp after being let go by the Bills. He survived the initial cut down to 53 but was cut the following day as the Jets claimed players off waivers.

The Jets kept in touch with Maybin and told him they may bring him back if a spot opened up. That spot came free when the Jets placed Rob Turner on injured reserve yesterday.

The Daily News was first to report Maybin's signing.

Morning take: Henne over Sanchez?

September, 28, 2011

Sep 28

8:00

AM ET

By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Wednesday in the AFC East:

Miami Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor says quarterback Chad Henne is more talented than New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Morning take: Taylor spent a short stint in New York and has been around both quarterbacks. The AFC East blog is taking a neutral stance until the conclusion of our "Sanchez-Henne-Fitz Watch." Henne and Sanchez are tied after three weeks.

Speaking of Sanchez, he says his broken nose is no big deal.

Morning take: Sanchez will wear a protective shield, which is smart. I've seen what powerful Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata can do to a quarterback's face with one swipe. It's not pretty.

The status of Cincinnati Bengals starting running back Cedric Benson remains up in the air against the Buffalo Bills.

Morning take: The Bills caught the Bengals at the right time. Cincinnati is in turmoil on and off the field. Losing Benson would make Cincinnati's already struggling offense one dimensional and easier to defend.

The New England Patriots have reportedly re-signed defensive lineman Gerard Warren.

Morning take: New England was thin on the defensive line against Buffalo because of injuries to Albert Haynesworth (back) and Mike Wright (concussion). Warren knows the system and could help in the rotation.

Desperate times call for ... Maybin

September, 28, 2011

Sep 28

8:56

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

With their defense coming off perhaps its worst game of the Rex Ryan era, the Jets re-signed one of the NFL's worst draft picks in recent memory -- former Bills No. 1 pick Aaron Maybin. ESPN's Adam Schefter first reported it.

The Jets originally picked up the pass rusher in the preseason after he was dumped by the Bills, but he was cut by the Jets the day after the final cutdown. He actually looked decent against second- and third-stringers, but not good enough for Rex Ryan.

Two thoughts come to mind on this move:

• Ryan recognizes the need to add speed in the front seven, especially on the edge. That's one thing Maybin has -- speed. Presumably, he'll be used as a pass rusher. Against the Raiders, the Jets didn't get close to QB Jason Campbell.

• This is a message to OLB Jamaal Westerman, the top backup and a situational rusher. Westerman missed a tackle 12 yards behind the line of scrimmage on Denarius Moore's 23-yard TD run on a reverse.

No shortage of storylines as we enter Jets Week

September 28, 2011 8:26 AM by Dan Kolko 0 Comments

More Dan Kolko

It's OK to admit it now: last week was a little bland.

You can nod your head in agreement; I won't judge you. As the NFL goes, the circumstances surrounding last Sunday's Ravens-Rams game were about as unexciting as it gets.

The Ravens were playing a winless team from the NFC West with which they have no substantial history. The Rams essentially played without their top player (running back Steven Jackson was limited in practice by a quad injury and only got four carries on Sunday), their No. 1 receiver from 2010 - Danny Amendola - didn't suit up at all, and if those in St. Louis were more interested in watching the resurgent Cardinals try and earn an MLB playoff spot Sunday afternoon, I couldn't have blamed 'em.

You think this week will be just a little spicier?

The Ravens will welcome the Jets into town this weekend for a primetime, Sunday night battle between two of the AFC's powerhouse squads.

The quality of the on-field matchup will certainly be enough to hold our attention; one of these two teams have been a part of each of the last three AFC title games, and if Baltimore had been able to hold on and beat the Steelers in the divisional round of the playoffs last season (sorry to bring up a sore subject), the Ravens would have hosted the Jets in the conference championship.

John Harbaugh-Rex Ryan.jpgIf that wasn't enough, we should have plenty of chirping going on from both camps this week.

We all know Rex Ryan's game by now; the former Ravens defensive coordinator and now Jets head coach is as blustery and full of bravado as coaches come, and I'm sure he'll have some interesting things to say about his former squad.

Linebacker Bart Scott never shies away from a battle, and we can expect the former Raven to deliver a few verbal blows to his old teammates in the days leading up to Sunday's game.

And then there's wide receiver Derrick Mason, who will be returning to M&T Bank Stadium for the first time since being released by the Ravens back in July. Mason played six seasons in Baltimore and left as the franchise's all-time leader in receiving yards. If you think the outspoken wideout won't be ready for the cameras and microphones to come to his locker this week, you're insane.

As far as the significance of the actual game, this one will be huge for both teams. The Jets are coming off a rough road loss to the Raiders, and their vaunted defense has taken a bit of a beating through the season's first three games. They'll be fired up to bounce back on Sunday and prove that they still deserve to be mentioned among the NFL's elite.

From the Ravens' perspective, the question will be whether they can string together back-to-back strong efforts and avoid a sub-par outing like they had two weeks ago in Tennessee. Beating Ryan, Scott and Mason would be nice, but going into the bye week with a 3-1 record would be even better. The Ravens would love to finish the first quarter of the season on a high note and deliver another statement performance to a national television audience in the process.

Those of us around these parts love "Steelers Week" because of the intensity level and the constant trash talk in the days preceding the game. While "Jets Week" doesn't quite have the same luster, it's not all that far off.

This should be fun.

The Jets are no longer a run first team

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on September 28, 2011, 9:39 AM EDT

New York Jets v Oakland Raiders Getty Images

Through three weeks, only seven teams have rushed for less yardage than the Jets.

Part of that is due to effectiveness; we’re still waiting for Shonn Greene to make a difference. Part of that is due to a change in philosophy.

The Jets are throwing the ball more, and Rex Ryan didn’t even deny that they were going away from their “ground and pound” mindset when asked about it Monday.

“I think as long as you’re able to move the ball effectively, you don’t have to run it or you don’t have to throw it,” Ryan said. “You’d like to be in a situation where, I looked at Baltimore yesterday, they were throwing it all over the place.

“I think they had 403 yards at halftime — that’s at halftime, by the way. This week, are you going to run it against Haloti Ngata over and over and against Ray Lewis? We’ll probably have to throw it more than we want.”

This Jets team is a little different. They don’t seem to have as much confidence in their offensive line, even before Nick Mangold went out. They have thrown the ball for a higher percentage of snaps (62%) than any three-game stretch since Ryan took over.

We’ve said it before, but this strategy makes it doubly true: This Jets season will hinge on Mark Sanchez’s ability to go from passable to a positive.

We’ll get a great early progress report on Sanchez Sunday night in Baltimore.

Thoughts on Aaron Maybin re-joining Jets

September, 28, 2011

Sep 28

10:00

AM ET

By James Walker

The New York Jets re-signed former first-round pick and draft bust Aaron Maybin, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports.

Here are a few thoughts on the signing:

You knew Maybin was on the team's short list after briefly making New York's 53-man roster this summer. The linebacker was cut by the Buffalo Bills and signed with the Jets as a long shot in training camp. But an improved work ethic and solid preseason made Maybin one of the better comeback stories in the AFC East.

It's not a coincidence that New York re-signed Maybin after the Jets recorded just one sack in a loss to the Oakland Raiders. Maybin's specialty in college was getting to the quarterback. He had 1.5 sacks in New York's final preseason game. The Jets' defense needs to improve with pressures. Jets linebacker Bart Scott (two sacks) is the only player who has more than one sack after three games.

This is a good opportunity for Maybin. Teams didn't touch him three weeks after he was released. So Maybin should have something to prove. The Jets run a good defensive scheme and won't ask for too much. New York has enough stars on defense. The Jets will be happy if Maybin can occasionally get to the quarterback.

Sanchez says he'll break nose every week for more Jets wins

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com

Published: Sept. 27, 2011 at 06:39 p.m.

Updated: Sept. 28, 2011 at 02:00 a.m.

If you've been at a sports bar during a Jets game in the past three years, the words "Mark Sanchez" and "pretty boy" typically go hand and hand.

These things happen when you do GQ photo shoots wearing white pants so tight that Miley Cyrus would deem them obscene.

Perhaps in a subtle attempt to change the reputation he helped foster, Sanchez is taking a very non-pretty boy stance when it comes to the broken nose he suffered against the Raiders on Sunday.

"If it's a cosmetic thing I don't really care," he told 1050-AM in New York. "I'll break my nose every game as long as we're going to win. I don't care about that."

You hear that, Sanchize haters? This man will suffer a broken nose every single week if that's what it takes to bring the Lombardi Trophy back to the Jets.

Done calling him a pretty boy now? No? We figured.

Rex Ryan mad at ref over Wilkerson’s flag and Sanchez’s nose

Posted by Michael David Smith on September 28, 2011, 11:15 AM EDT

Rex Ryan AP

In Sunday’s Jets-Raiders game, Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez got his nose broken by Raiders linebacker Kamerion Wimbley. In the same game, Raiders quarterback Jason Campbell got bumped in the shoulder by Jets defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson.

Wilkerson was flagged for roughing the passer. Wimbley was not called for a penalty. Jets coach Rex Ryan was not happy about that.

“I’m not sure on that one,” Ryan said. “Our guy gets a bloody, broken nose, I don’t think there was a flag.”

Ryan was left wondering how referee Gene Steratore didn’t throw the flag on Wimbley for hitting Sanchez in the face. Said Ryan sarcastically, “I think he must have gotten hit in the chest and broke his nose.”

As for the Wilkerson hit, Ryan looked incredulous on the sideline when it was flagged, although he had calmed down a little bit after the game, saying only, “I personally never thought it was roughing the quarterback.”

Ryan is obviously biased in favor of his own team, but plenty of unbiased observers agree with him. Phil Simms of CBS said, “I can’t believe it” when looking at the replay of the penalty during the game broadcast. And Mike Pereira of FOX wrote, “I don’t blame Rex Ryan for being upset, that wasn’t roughing the passer.”

Ryan is right to be upset about those two calls. I’d bet on the league office fining Wimbley, not fining Wilkerson, and telling Steratore he screwed up.

Ryan returns volley

Jets coach and former Ravens defensive coordinator defends record against Ravens

By Edward Lee

11:24 a.m. EDT, September 28, 2011

Rex Ryan hasn’t lost his gift for gab.

The New York Jets coach and former Ravens defensive coordinator is blessed with a colorful personality that lends itself to sound bites and quotes. So it’s not shocking that when a reporter told Ryan during his conference call with Baltimore media Wednesday morning that the Ravens are 1-0 against the Jets under Ryan, the coach responded with a shot across the bow.

“We have not beat them since I’ve been here, that’s for sure,” he said. “You can throw in the preseason game, too, if you want. That’s exactly right. Now I will say this: we all talk about it, but I was there 10 years, and I’ve got a ton of friends there and the utmost respect for them and all that. But the fact of the matter is, we all said we were going to meet in the AFC championship game. Now, we haven’t won the AFC championship game, but we’ve got there two years in a row. The Ravens haven’t. So you can throw that one right back at them as well.”

Get the Baltimore Football app for iPhone and Android

When the same reporter reminded him that the Ravens have qualified for the playoffs every season since Ryan left, Ryan answered quickly.

“Well, I’ve gone to the playoffs every year, and I’ve gone to the championship game every year since I’ve been here as well,” he said. “But who cares? This is what it is. They know I did a great job there for 10 years. Those players did a great job for me there. They’re the reason why I’ve been put in this position and all that. And no matter what kind of ridiculous question it’s going to be, the simple fact of the matter is, they’re two pretty good football teams going at it.”

"Mangold out at practice but not in pads. Working on the side with trainers. #Jets"

This could be huge news. Don't get too excited though, I wouldn't be surprised if they hold Mangold out so he's ready to play Wilfork and Haynsworth, although I did hear last week that he was borderline ready for the Raiders game. I'll update as we get more information.

Per Connor Orr, via Twitter

Should Joe McKnight Take Over Kick Returns?

Antonio Cromartie is banged up, leaving his status for Sunday's game at Baltimore in doubt. Even if he is good enough to play, a real question exists as to whether he should retain his duties as the team's primary kickoff returner.

His year has been up and down in that department. He had a couple of good runs against Jacksonville. There have been some catastrophic moments, though. In Week 1, he ran a ball out from nine yards deep in the end zone and barely made the ten yard line. Then last week he muffed a kickoff return, leading to a critical Oakland touchdown.

McKnight took a return 50 yards later in the contest. Even though he was nine yards deep in the end zone, he took a good gamble because his return came late in the fourth quarter with the Jets down by two scores and in need of a big play. Unlike Cromartie's ill advised run from nine yards deep against Dallas, that was the right spot to roll the dice.

Cromartie has sprinter speed with his long strides. I think McKnight might be a better option. Cromartie tends to run at top speed and hopes he hits a hole. McKnight has better vision trying to find a running lane. He also is better at varying his speed and accelerating after changing direction. On top of this, Cromartie is an important part of the defense. Kyle Wilson's emergence in the first three weeks where he has been nothing short of a lockdown guy in coverage gives the Jets nice depth at cornerback. Having three excellent corners is important in an attack defense like the Jets like to run. McKnight is not an important part of the offense so the risk of injury inherent for returners is less worrisome with Joe.

I think I would make the change and have Joe McKnight making returns. He can do the job and hopefully avoid the tendency for brainlock moments.

Mark Sanchez not as talented as Chad Henne? Jason Taylor, former NY Jet, current Dolphin, thinks so

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, September 28th 2011, 12:11 PM

Former New York Jet Jason Taylor thinks his quarterback with 0-3 Miami, Chad Henne, is more talented than the Jets' Mark Sanchez, an opinion that Sanchez brushed aside.

Robert Sabo/News

If you're starting a team, do you want Mark Sanchez or Chad Henne as your quarterback?

Henne. He has a better career completion percentage (60.6 percent vs. 55.4) and has thrown for more yardage

Sanchez. He's younger, has more TDs (35 to 31) and four playoff wins, all coming on the road

It didn't take long for Jason Taylor to revert to his familiar anti-Jet rhetoric. Taylor, who re-signed with the Dolphins after the Jets released him in the offseason, believes that Miami quarterback Chad Henne is better than Mark Sanchez.

"I think Chad has grown immensely since I left here a year ago," Taylor told a Miami NBC-TV affiliate. "I saw a kid in New York - Mark Sanchez - that is young. I don't think he's as talented as Chad Henne."

Taylor, of course, was Public Enemy No. 1 for Jets fans before they reluctantly accepted him last season. He apparently hasn't examined the numbers very closely. Sanchez is 25-15 as a starter (including the playoffs) with four road playoff wins. Henne is 13-17 with no playoff appearances. Through three weeks this season, Sanchez has completed 63.1% of his passes with six touchdowns and four interceptions to help the Jets to a 2-1 start. Henne has a 56.5% completion rate, four touchdowns and three interceptions for the 0-3 Dolphins.

Sanchez didn't take Taylor's stance personally.

"Of course, he's saying the right thing," Sanchez told ESPN radio. "That's his teammate and that's his quarterback. I hope he thinks he's the best. If he would have said that last year, I'd be a little upset. But that's what he's supposed to do. He's building Chad up, and that's just fine. ... It's no big deal. ... Who cares? He's supposed to say that."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/09/28/2011-09-28_mark_sanchez_not_as_talented_as_chad_henne_jason_taylor_former_ny_jet_current_do.html#ixzz1ZGj9qQZf

Jets C Nick Mangold, DB Antonio Cromartie not dressed for practice

Published: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 12:39 PM Updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 12:46 PM

Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Nick Mangold and Antonio Cromartie were off to the side of practice today, not in pads, working out with the team trainers.

Mangold (high ankle sprain) was still day-to-day this week, and Ryan said that Sunday's game against Baltimore was a possibility. This is the most significant on-field work Mangold has done since Jacksonville in the portion of practice open to the media.

Colin Baxter appeared to be taking all the reps with the first string at center.

Ryan said on Monday that he hoped to see Cromartie, who was banged up in last Sunday's game against the Raiders, practice today.

Newly-acquired Aaron Maybin (No. 51), Eddie Jones (No. 99), Martell Webb (No. 83) and Michael Campbell (No. 84) were all present and in pads.

Mangold, Cromartie sit out Jets practice

| More Print

12:52 PM, September 28, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets starters Nick Mangold and Antonio Cromartie did not practice Wednesday.

Jets coach Rex Ryan will speak to the media later to provide an update on their statuses for Sunday's game with the Ravens.

Mangold (high ankle sprain) and Cromartie (bruised ribs, lung) were off to the side stretching and doing some agility drills during the portion of practice open to the media. Neither one had pads on.

Mangold missed last Sunday's game against the Raiders after injuring his ankle against the Jaguars. Ryan said Monday that Mangold is improving. He did not have the walking boot on Wednesday that he wore last week. Colin Baxter started at center against the Raiders.

Second-year cornerback Kyle Wilson worked with the starting defense Wednesday. The Ravens are coming off a 553-yard performance against the Rams. In that game, wide receiver Torrey Smith caught three touchdowns, and quarterback Joe Flacco threw for a career-high 389 yards.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/mangold_cromartie_sit_out_jets_practice_6FSx1OHzFbJcIKgT0qtmFJ#ixzz1ZGl2DZkk

Ravens LB Ray Lewis preparing for a different Jets offense

Published: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 12:41 PM Updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 1:36 PM

Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The

In the film he has seen of the 2011 Jets, linebacker Ray Lewis has noticed a change from years past, as the team has passed (111 times) more than it has run (73 times).

"That’s probably the biggest identity you do see," Lewis said on a conference call from Baltimore. "When you watch film that Mark Sanchez is throwing the ball way more than those running backs are touching it. Even when the running backs are touching it, they're touching it more from the backfield out of pass sets and different things like that. It's definitely a change-up from what you saw the last couple years, which was run, run, run, run, run."

The Jets and Ravens have played each other twice (once in the preseason and once in the regular season) since coach Rex Ryan left his post as Baltimore defensive coordinator. When Ryan came up to New Jersey, both Lewis and Bart Scott were free agents, but it was Scott whom the Jets visited at home when free agency opened.

Lewis said he doesn't think much about that crossroads.

"His decision was to take Bart with him, start fresh, whatever he wanted to start in NY," Lewis said. "It’s not like we didn’t have real conversation with each other, like real conversation. Years ago, he used to tell me that Baltimore will always be where I always end up at, bottom line. When that opportunity came for him, I was more happy for him that he got the job than anything else."

Lewis, who has played his entire career in Baltimore and won a Super Bowl there, said Ryan understood that is where the player's legacy is.

"I don’t know what could have ever pulled me away from here," Lewis said. "That would have to be something so incredible to pull me away from here, to leave this city and everything I already built here. For a coach, it’s kind of different because they can travel different places and start over in new territories. For players, I think it’s totally different when you're trying to leave the legacy that I'm truly taking."

Lewis saw another of his veteran teammates, Derrick Mason, depart Baltimore for the Jets this year. Mason was cut when the lockout ended to save the Ravens salary cap space and signed with the Jets two weeks later.

"

You talk about a veteran presence from the receiver position, a guy that had been consistent for so many years, year in and year out," Lewis said of Mason. "When you leave Baltimore, you leave that open. As you saw last week, we started a couple of rookie receivers and things like that. That’s the transition of the business. 'Mase' is always a heck of a teammate, someone you know you can rely on. But now he is on the other side, so now we've got to get ready to defend him."

Mason fielded offers from the Jets, Ravens and Titans after being originally cut from Baltimore.

"The original issue was a salary cap move," coach John Harbaugh said. "We had to do that with four veteran players, right at training camp we decided to do it. We really had no choice cap-wise. As it worked out, a couple weeks later we had an opportunity to possibly bring him back, but he decided to go with the Jets."

A Whirl Around the AFC East After 3 Weeks

Posted by Eric Allen on September 28, 2011 – 1:34 pm

“We’ve got to find a way to win our division.”

That was the decree from Jets head coach Rex Ryan more than seven months ago in Indianapolis. That statement kind of got lost that cold day at the annual NFL Combine because Ryan also guaranteed a Super Bowl win in 2011, but the Green & White know their best shot at getting to America’s Heartland in February is to win the AFC East.

The Patriots are two-time defending division champs, finishing 10-6 in 2009 and 14-2 in ’10. After taking three of five contests (including a 28-21 triumph at Foxboro in the AFC Divisional Round last January) against Bill Belichick and the Pats, Ryan issued a challenge to the rest of the league when training camp commenced in August.

“I think we have to find somebody out there to beat New England besides us, and I think that would help,” he said. “Anybody out there that wants to sign up for it? Are you good enough as a team to beat the New England Patriots? Forget about us, are you good enough to go out and beat the New England Patriots? I’m challenging the league.”

The Bills proved good enough to beat the Patriots — at least on Sept. 25 in Orchard Park, N.Y. — as they came from behind for their heartstopping 34-31 win. Last Sunday was an odd day in the division as the Jets would go on to drop a 34-24 decision in Oakland, marking the first time both of the division’s top dogs have lost on the same weekend since Nov. 15, 2009.

While Buffalo’s 3-0 start has been most impressive, it is way too early to make this a three-horse race. Meanwhile, the Dolphins are stuck in last place at 0-3 and they’ve already given themselves little wiggle room if they want to be in contention come December.

Let’s take a spin around the division.

BUFFALO BILLS (3-0)

Offense: 3rd overall (4th rush, 11th pass)

Defense: 26th overall (24th rush, 24th pass)

Reasons for Hope: This offensive explosion has been extraordinary. The Bills are averaging 37.7 points, 431 yards and 155 rushing yards per contest, which ranks first, third and fourth, respectively, in the league. Ryan Fitzpatrick is completing 65 percent of his passes while Fred Jackson is averaging 101 yards per game and 6.4 yards a carry. They have repeatedly spread teams out, helping a line that entered the season a huge question mark, and let Fitzy survey the field, or pounded away with Jackson. Both Stevie Johnson and David Nelson have 20 catches and even Donald Jones is coming off a 100-yard receiving effort. Belief is a funny thing and the Bills just became the first team ever to come back from 18-points-plus deficits to win in consecutive weeks.

Reasons for Concern: The lights are still out for Shawne Merriman because the Bills rank dead last in sacks with two. The team is a plus-5 in the turnover department and the DBs made a quartet of interceptions against Tom Brady, but they are thin at CB as veteran Terrence McGee (hamstring) and rookie CB Aaron Williams (collarbone) are both out with injuries. Can this defense get better because there is probably no way the offense can stay this hot? But you should take the Bills seriously because the upcoming schedule appears manageable.

Next Four Foes: @ CIN, vs. PHI, @ NYG, Bye, vs. WAS (Toronto)

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (2-1)

Offense: 1st overall (13th rush, 1st pass)

Defense: 32nd overall (10th rush, 32nd pass)

Reasons for Hope: Losing early to a division rival, on the road, is commonplace for the Pats. Before they blew the 21-0 lead at Buffalo, the Pats lost in Week 2 to the Jets in both ’09 and ’10. Brady has been tremendous, completing 70 percent of his passes for 1,327 yards with 11 TDs and a 113.8 passer rating. Wes Welker not only has a ridiculous 31 receptions but he’s averaging 14.8 yards a catch and has scored four times. Tight end Rob Gronkowski has been phenomenal in his own right, averaging 16.5 yards a reception and scoring five times.

Reasons for Concern: Is it fair to criticize anything offensively? After all, when will Brady toss four interceptions in a game next? Don’t be fooled by the Pats’ solid rush ranking — they don’t scare you on the ground and the lack of balance could be a concern. BenJarvus Green-Ellis and former Jets back Danny Woodhead combined for just 37 yards on 15 carries in the loss to the Bills.

But the primary reason for concern obviously is the defense. Ranked dead last overall, the Pats don’t get consistent pressure and the secondary and linebackers have been torn up in coverage. Devin McCourty, the Rutgers product who had seven interceptions his rookie season, has really struggled. Sure, the Pats played without four defensive regulars — S Patrick Chung, rookie CB Ras-I Dowling and DTs Albert Haynesworth and Mike Wright — in western New York, but there are a ton of question marks. You would expect to see improvement on this side during the year, but have the Pats become the Indianapolis Colts? Fascinating couple of weeks ahead for the Men of Belichick starting on the coast in Oakland and then coming home for the showdown with the Jets.

Next Four Foes: @ OAK, vs. NYJ, vs. DAL, Bye, @ PIT

MIAMI DOLPHINS (0-3)

Offense: 12th overall (7th rush, t-14th pass)

Defense: 30th overall (16 rush, 30th pass)

Reasons for Hope: Rookie back Daniel Thomas, a Kansas State product, is making a strong case to be the Dolphins’ No. 1 running back as his 41 carries, 202 yards and 4.9 average far outpace Reggie Bush’s 27-69-2.6. The Dolphins are seventh in rushing, picking up 129.7 yards a game in their winless start. Wideout Brandon Marshall has been solid with 17 receptions and a 15.4-yard average.

Reasons for Concern: Chad Henne has been sacked 11 times and he’s completing just 56.5 percent of his passes. The offense has moved the ball but has struggled in the red zone and is averaging just 17.7 points per contest (27th in the NFL). Wasn’t this defense supposed to be better? A month ago, Vontae Davis said he and Sean Smith were the best corner tandem in the league, but teams aren’t having difficulty finding holes in the secondary. Many in the media have also questioned whether the Dolphins might make a coaching move and replace Tony Sparano if they lose this week at San Diego.

Next Four Foes: @ SD, Bye, @ NYJ, vs. DEN, @ NYG

Ravens LB Ray Lewis preparing for a different Jets offense

Published: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 12:41 PM Updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 1:36 PM

In the film he has seen of the 2011 Jets, linebacker Ray Lewis has noticed a change from years past, as the team has passed (111 times) more than it has run (73 times).

"That’s probably the biggest identity you do see," Lewis said on a conference call from Baltimore. "When you watch film that Mark Sanchez is throwing the ball way more than those running backs are touching it. Even when the running backs are touching it, they're touching it more from the backfield out of pass sets and different things like that. It's definitely a change-up from what you saw the last couple years, which was run, run, run, run, run."

The Jets and Ravens have played each other twice (once in the preseason and once in the regular season) since coach Rex Ryan left his post as Baltimore defensive coordinator. When Ryan came up to New Jersey, both Lewis and Bart Scott were free agents, but it was Scott whom the Jets visited at home when free agency opened.

Lewis said he doesn't think much about that crossroads.

"His decision was to take Bart with him, start fresh, whatever he wanted to start in NY," Lewis said. "It’s not like we didn’t have real conversation with each other, like real conversation. Years ago, he used to tell me that Baltimore will always be where I always end up at, bottom line. When that opportunity came for him, I was more happy for him that he got the job than anything else."

Lewis, who has played his entire career in Baltimore and won a Super Bowl there, said Ryan understood that is where the player's legacy is.

"I don’t know what could have ever pulled me away from here," Lewis said. "That would have to be something so incredible to pull me away from here, to leave this city and everything I already built here. For a coach, it’s kind of different because they can travel different places and start over in new territories. For players, I think it’s totally different when you're trying to leave the legacy that I'm truly taking."

Lewis saw another of his veteran teammates, Derrick Mason, depart Baltimore for the Jets this year. Mason was cut when the lockout ended to save the Ravens salary cap space and signed with the Jets two weeks later.

"

You talk about a veteran presence from the receiver position, a guy that had been consistent for so many years, year in and year out," Lewis said of Mason. "When you leave Baltimore, you leave that open. As you saw last week, we started a couple of rookie receivers and things like that. That’s the transition of the business. 'Mase' is always a heck of a teammate, someone you know you can rely on. But now he is on the other side, so now we've got to get ready to defend him."

Mason fielded offers from the Jets, Ravens and Titans after being originally cut from Baltimore.

"The original issue was a salary cap move," coach John Harbaugh said. "We had to do that with four veteran players, right at training camp we decided to do it. We really had no choice cap-wise. As it worked out, a couple weeks later we had an opportunity to possibly bring him back, but he decided to go with the Jets."

I betcha Schotty surprises him by running up the middle throughout the game!

Say it ain't so: Conservative defense

September, 28, 2011

Sep 28

2:00

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Not only are the Jets undergoing a personality change on offense, but they're experiencing the same thing on defense. They aren't the mad-blitzing Jets anymore.

Consider: In 2009, Rex Ryan's first season, the Jets sent extra pressure on more than half of the defensive snaps, according to ESPN Stats and Information. Through three games this season, they've have sent extra pressure on only 29.5 percent of dropbacks, the 14th-most conservative defense in the NFL.

A bit shocking, wouldn't you say?

PASS DEFENSE: 5+ RUSHERS SINCE 2009

Category .... 2009 .... 2010-11

Yards/Att ....... 5.1 ...... 6.4

1st down pct .. 26.2 ....31.4

Touchdowns .... 14 ...... 2

TD-Int Diff ...... -5 ....... +7

Jets Shaken, Yet Stirred for Upcoming Showdown With Ravens

By REUTERS

Published: September 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The New York Jets as constructed by head coach Rex Ryan have been built on supreme confidence and swarming defense.

Those key components were shaken in last week's loss to the Oakland Raiders, introducing doubts about a team that surprised oddsmakers by reaching the last two AFC championship games in the first two seasons of the Ryan regime.

"Our defense let us down," Ryan told reporters after the defeat in Oakland.

The defeat makes Sunday's game against the defensive-minded Ravens in Baltimore urgent for the Jets (2-1), who are loathe to lag behind the surprising Buffalo Bills (3-0) and mainstays New England Patriots (2-1) in the competitive AFC East.

Even Hall of Famer Joe Namath, the charismatic quarterback who "guaranteed" the Jets' upset win over the Baltimore Colts in the Super Bowl following the 1968 season, sounded an alarm.

Namath took aim at Ryan's coaching style and said the team might have been overly cocky and underestimated the Raiders.

"These guys might be believing that they're better than they are," Namath said in a recent interview with ESPN Radio.

"Rex has been the only coach that we know that keeps continually telling his guys how good they are. And they have been pretty good - pretty good - but they haven't won a championship yet."

Ryan, who unabashedly touts his defense as one of the most fearsome forces in the National Football League, went on the defensive when asked about the remarks by 68-year-old Namath, whose team gave the Jets franchise their only Super Bowl win.

"I'm not going to change who I am because Joe Namath said something. Joe Namath can come in here and if he can still throw, we'll have him as a backup quarterback. He doesn't know our team. He's on the outside," Ryan, previously a defensive coordinator for the Ravens, told reporters at the team practice facility this week.

"Even though he's a Jet - and once you're a Jet, you're always a Jet - he's on the outside. He's not in these meetings. I think if he was, he'd be shocked at the preparation."

The Jets may have been prepared, but they did not execute on the gridiron as Oakland rushed for 234 yards, registering 7.3 yards per carry and four touchdowns in a 34-24 win.

"Embarrassing," defensive tackle Sione Pouha said after the game. "It was humiliating for us to have something like that happen."

Next up for the Jets is a Ravens (2-1) team that learned a lesson about complacency in their second game.

After beating the arch-rival Pittsburgh Steelers in their season opener, the Ravens laid an egg the next week in falling to the Tennessee Titans.

Jets All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis said he expects an all-out battle in Baltimore.

"We are a physical team. That's what we go by. That's our identity," said Revis. "We know this upcoming game is going to be very physical and tough. We know the Ravens are going to bring it, and we're going to prepare hard this week."

Jets safety Jim Leonhard, a former Ravens player, knows what the atmosphere will be like.

"It's an emotional game. Anytime you play them, they bring a lot of emotion," said Leonhard. "You have to match that, especially at their place. It's a great crowd. We have to go in there with the right attitude. We need a win."

(Editing by Frank Pingue)

Ravens player wears 'Can't Wait' T-shirt

Jets Blog

By TIM BONTEMPS

Last Updated: 4:28 PM, September 28, 2011

Posted: 4:03 PM, September 28, 2011

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs showed up for his press conference Wednesday afternoon sporting a "Can't Wait" T-shirt made popular by the Jets' Bart Scott.

"We all know what it means," Suggs said. "And I’m personally sending a message to my brother, former mentor, that I can’t wait."

Suggs and Scott played together as part of the Ravens' fearsome linebacking corps under then-defensive coordinator Rex Ryan from 2003, when Suggs was taken with the 10th pick in the draft, until 2009, when Ryan left to become the Jets' head coach and signed Scott as a free agent.

Suggs later said Scott sent him and several other former teammates the shirt, which Scott created earlier this year. He has donated all of the profits to the Eric LeGrand Patriot Saint Foundation.

"It's for a good cause. Bart's a close friend of mine, I love him like a brother, but come Sunday night we'll be two fighters, trying to settle a fight," Suggs said.

Scott did not speak to the media Wednesday at Jets headquarters in New Jersey.

tbontemps@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/ravens_player_wears_can_wait_shirt_MewYhzsKLTpcnjgzXzcWiO#ixzz1ZHh25xJ4

Ravens player wears 'Can't Wait' T-shirt

Jets Blog

By TIM BONTEMPS

Last Updated: 4:28 PM, September 28, 2011

Posted: 4:03 PM, September 28, 2011

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs showed up for his press conference Wednesday afternoon sporting a "Can't Wait" T-shirt made popular by the Jets' Bart Scott.

"We all know what it means," Suggs said. "And I’m personally sending a message to my brother, former mentor, that I can’t wait."

Suggs and Scott played together as part of the Ravens' fearsome linebacking corps under then-defensive coordinator Rex Ryan from 2003, when Suggs was taken with the 10th pick in the draft, until 2009, when Ryan left to become the Jets' head coach and signed Scott as a free agent.

Suggs later said Scott sent him and several other former teammates the shirt, which Scott created earlier this year. He has donated all of the profits to the Eric LeGrand Patriot Saint Foundation.

"It's for a good cause. Bart's a close friend of mine, I love him like a brother, but come Sunday night we'll be two fighters, trying to settle a fight," Suggs said.

Scott did not speak to the media Wednesday at Jets headquarters in New Jersey.

tbontemps@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.co...O#ixzz1ZHh25xJ4

This week clearly feels different. I mean if Bart Scott is not speaking to the media means the JETS are hunkering down and dead set on righting the course of this team. Watch out RAVENS!

Maybin Makes His Jets Return Despite Heavy Heart

Posted by Randy Lange on September 28, 2011 – 5:10 pm

Aaron Maybin is back with the Jets. It’s the place he’s wanted to be since he first arrived in August. Just as important in many ways, it’s the place one of his biggest supporters wanted him to be before she passed away just Tuesday morning.

“It was my aunt. It’s been a couple of years since she was diagnosed,” Maybin said in front of his locker in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center this afternoon. “She was a huge fan of mine, one of my biggest supporters. Above anything, she wanted me to be a Jet. She’d never been happier than the day I played my first game here, even though it was a preseason game.”

Dolores Maybin had been to many of Aaron’s games over the years, at Penn State and in his two season with the Bills. When he was a rookie, he built his parents a home in South Carolina and his aunt moved down with them.

He’d been back and forth to SC the past week to express his love and say his goodbyes. He was there Tuesday morning when she died. And before she departed, she made sure to tell him what she wanted for him.

“That’s not me saying, ‘I know she would’ve wanted this.’ No, she told me,” he said with some emotion. “I can show you the text messages still on my phone just telling me she’s happy I’m here and looking for me to do well.”

We don’t think Dolores came up here to tour the facilities and talk with Rex Ryan and Maybin’s new teammates. But just like any caring family member, she knew what made her nephew happy. And at this time in his life, wearing the green and white was something that he communicated to her, in ways spoken and unspoken, was important to him.

“I had an inkling. I had an inkling,” he said about his possible return after being waived on final-cuts day early this month. “They made it known that they were interested in bringing me back if the opportunity arose. We were a little bit behind the eightball at a couple of positions. That made it difficult for them to hold onto a few guys on the roster, including myself.”

Ryan said at his news conference today that nothing has changed regarding his and the Jets’ stance toward Maybin, other than that a few roster spots opened up when TE Jeff Cumberland and OL Rob Turner were placed on IR earlier this week.

“We wanted to bring in a guy we felt pretty good about, somebody that knows our system and maybe can contribute for us,” Ryan said. “He really hasn’t had a whole lot of time to be with us, three weeks or something like that. We kind of liked what we saw when he had three sacks in the preseason on about 12 rushes.”

Maybin and his agent did get a few calls from other teams and he said he made a few visits the past several weeks. But he didn’t say yes until he was able to connect with the Jets front office yesterday after a half day of missed connections due to his family tragedy.

“But for the most part the comfort level I had here and the camaraderie in the locker room and just the overall feel of the organization really made a lasting impression on me,” adding about his time in NFL limbo, “At the end of the day, it’s a cruel business, but it’s a business.”

And now Maybin wants to give opposing quarterbacks the business and make up for lost time. He’s shown he can get to the quarterback during summer games — he has 7.5 sacks in three NFL preseasons and each preseason he led or was tied for the lead for the team he was playing for. But in two regular seasons with the Bills he had no sacks. He wants to make up for lost time.

Will the Jets suit him up and launch him at QB Joe Flacco on Sunday night in Baltimore. “We’ll see … that’s certainly a possibility,” Ryan said.

“I’m very hopeful,” Maybin said of that prospect. “We haven’t had a chance to really sit down and talk about what the plan is going to be yet. But as the week goes on and I have more of an opportunity to get back acclimated into the system and work myself back into the swing of things, I’m hopeful we’ll be able to get that done by Sunday.”

And when he gets back on that field to resume his NFL career, he’ll have the memory of his aunt to help get him and keep him going.

“This is what she wanted for me,” he said. “Obviously, that’s a little bit of an extra incentive.”

Injury Watch

The swelling went down on the Jets’ first injury report of the week. The seven listed players are the fewest on a report this season. C Nick Mangold (ankle) and CB Antonio Cromartie (ribs) are the only two players listed as not practicing today. Rex: “I’m hopeful that both will play. I think Cro’s probably ahead of Nick. I’m hopeful both would play but I’m not really sure of that. I think if they practice [this week] they’re going to be very limited.”

I

f Cromartie’s ribs keep him out of the action in Baltimore, Ryan said Kyle Wilson will start at the corner opposite Darrelle Revis.

Another name is not on the report. QB Mark Sanchez is not listed, meaning that his “minor broken nose” did not even get him listed with the trainers today. You can find the Jets’ full injury report here.

The Ravens are listing eight players, all of whom did not practice in team drills: C Matt Birk (knee), LB Dannell Ellerbe (thigh), WR Lee Evans (ankle), G Ben Grubbs (toe), S Haruki Nakamura (knee), DE Cory Redding (toe), WR David Reed (shoulder) and CB Jimmy Smith (ankle).

Maybin Makes His Jets Return Despite Heavy Heart

Posted by Randy Lange on September 28, 2011 – 5:10 pm

Aaron Maybin is back with the Jets. It’s the place he’s wanted to be since he first arrived in August. Just as important in many ways, it’s the place one of his biggest supporters wanted him to be before she passed away just Tuesday morning.

“It was my aunt. It’s been a couple of years since she was diagnosed,” Maybin said in front of his locker in the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center this afternoon. “She was a huge fan of mine, one of my biggest supporters. Above anything, she wanted me to be a Jet. She’d never been happier than the day I played my first game here, even though it was a preseason game.”

Dolores Maybin had been to many of Aaron’s games over the years, at Penn State and in his two season with the Bills. When he was a rookie, he built his parents a home in South Carolina and his aunt moved down with them.

He’d been back and forth to SC the past week to express his love and say his goodbyes. He was there Tuesday morning when she died. And before she departed, she made sure to tell him what she wanted for him.

“That’s not me saying, ‘I know she would’ve wanted this.’ No, she told me,” he said with some emotion. “I can show you the text messages still on my phone just telling me she’s happy I’m here and looking for me to do well.”

We don’t think Dolores came up here to tour the facilities and talk with Rex Ryan and Maybin’s new teammates. But just like any caring family member, she knew what made her nephew happy. And at this time in his life, wearing the green and white was something that he communicated to her, in ways spoken and unspoken, was important to him.

“I had an inkling. I had an inkling,” he said about his possible return after being waived on final-cuts day early this month. “They made it known that they were interested in bringing me back if the opportunity arose. We were a little bit behind the eightball at a couple of positions. That made it difficult for them to hold onto a few guys on the roster, including myself.”

Ryan said at his news conference today that nothing has changed regarding his and the Jets’ stance toward Maybin, other than that a few roster spots opened up when TE Jeff Cumberland and OL Rob Turner were placed on IR earlier this week.

“We wanted to bring in a guy we felt pretty good about, somebody that knows our system and maybe can contribute for us,” Ryan said. “He really hasn’t had a whole lot of time to be with us, three weeks or something like that. We kind of liked what we saw when he had three sacks in the preseason on about 12 rushes.”

Maybin and his agent did get a few calls from other teams and he said he made a few visits the past several weeks. But he didn’t say yes until he was able to connect with the Jets front office yesterday after a half day of missed connections due to his family tragedy.

“But for the most part the comfort level I had here and the camaraderie in the locker room and just the overall feel of the organization really made a lasting impression on me,” adding about his time in NFL limbo, “At the end of the day, it’s a cruel business, but it’s a business.”

And now Maybin wants to give opposing quarterbacks the business and make up for lost time. He’s shown he can get to the quarterback during summer games — he has 7.5 sacks in three NFL preseasons and each preseason he led or was tied for the lead for the team he was playing for. But in two regular seasons with the Bills he had no sacks. He wants to make up for lost time.

Will the Jets suit him up and launch him at QB Joe Flacco on Sunday night in Baltimore. “We’ll see … that’s certainly a possibility,” Ryan said.

“I’m very hopeful,” Maybin said of that prospect. “We haven’t had a chance to really sit down and talk about what the plan is going to be yet. But as the week goes on and I have more of an opportunity to get back acclimated into the system and work myself back into the swing of things, I’m hopeful we’ll be able to get that done by Sunday.”

And when he gets back on that field to resume his NFL career, he’ll have the memory of his aunt to help get him and keep him going.

“This is what she wanted for me,” he said. “Obviously, that’s a little bit of an extra incentive.”

Injury Watch

The swelling went down on the Jets’ first injury report of the week. The seven listed players are the fewest on a report this season. C Nick Mangold (ankle) and CB Antonio Cromartie (ribs) are the only two players listed as not practicing today. Rex: “I’m hopeful that both will play. I think Cro’s probably ahead of Nick. I’m hopeful both would play but I’m not really sure of that. I think if they practice [this week] they’re going to be very limited.”

I

f Cromartie’s ribs keep him out of the action in Baltimore, Ryan said Kyle Wilson will start at the corner opposite Darrelle Revis.

Another name is not on the report. QB Mark Sanchez is not listed, meaning that his “minor broken nose” did not even get him listed with the trainers today. You can find the Jets’ full injury report here.

The Ravens are listing eight players, all of whom did not practice in team drills: C Matt Birk (knee), LB Dannell Ellerbe (thigh), WR Lee Evans (ankle), G Ben Grubbs (toe), S Haruki Nakamura (knee), DE Cory Redding (toe), WR David Reed (shoulder) and CB Jimmy Smith (ankle).

3 sacks in 12 rushes? That's pretty impressive. I know it's against scrubs, but still

Jets WR Derrick Mason 'at peace' with his release from Ravens

Published: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 5:30 PM Updated: Wednesday, September 28, 2011, 6:27 PM

Mason said the Ravens made a business decision to cut him, and he made a business decision to sign with the Jets.

Derrick Mason admitted the return this Sunday to Baltimore, where he played six seasons, will be a little "bittersweet." But the Jets receiver also said he didn't have the date circled on his calendar because he accepted the business decision the team made.

"Obviously they didn’t need my services any longer," Mason, 37, said. "I think I was at peace with it, because I knew deep down in my heart that I gave them all I had. The way I played, no one can question whether I gave 100 percent or not. So when I left that building, I was OK, because I knew leaving that building, I still had a lot of football in me. They had a decision to make, and they made it. Luckily Rex wanted me, and I was more than happy to come here."

Coach John Harbaugh said on a conference call earlier today that the team made a necessary salary cap move with Mason and three other players. GM Ozzie Newsome called Mason to tell him the team was about to cut him, and asked him to come to Baltimore. Mason said the decision "came out of left field."

Two weeks after he was released, Mason chose between returning to Baltimore or Tennessee, where he began his career, or joining Rex Ryan's Jets.

"I'm not going to sit here and lie, I still was torn between going back to Baltimore and coming here to the Jets," Mason said. "Because I had been there for so long, and that was family to me. But they made a business decision, and I had to make a business decision, and I had to make a decision that was best for me, career wise. At the time, it was coming here to the Jets, and I still feel the same way if I had to do it over again. Like I said, they did not need my services any longer, so when that happens you’ve just got to move on."

Mason said he left on good terms and respects the Ravens' organization. He also said he didn't need Baltimore cutting him to motivate him, because he has plenty of other sources. He declined to share the specifics of his "private conversation" with Newsome, but said if it was a financial decision, he felt he was being fairly compensated.

More coverage:

"To me, I've earned every penny that I've gotten and every penny that was owed to me," Mason said. "I believe that I earned it by my play."

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

A look ahead: Mike Pettine on the hot seat

The Record

Print | E-mail

Jets (2-1) at Ravens (2-1)

At M&T Bank Stadium

Sunday, 8:20 p.m.

TV: Ch. 2; Radio: ESPN-AM 1050

Early line: Ravens by 3 1/2

Matchup

This will be coach Rex Ryan’s first trip back to Baltimore for a regular-season game since leaving the job as Ravens defensive coordinator in January 2009. The Jets seek revenge for a 10-9 loss to Baltimore on opening night a year ago. The Jets are 15-8 on the road under Ryan, counting playoffs and Sunday’s loss at Oakland. This will be the Jets’ first visit to Baltimore since 2007. In that game, former Jet Kellen Clemens made his first NFL start at QB in a 20-13 loss.

On the hot seat

Jets defensive coordinator Mike Pettine: The Jets allowed a whopping 234 rushing yards to Oakland and need to make a lot of corrections. However, the problem was that the Jets were getting beat physically at the point of attack, so it wasn’t all about defensive schemes. Still, Pettine figures to be just as motivated as his head coach. He was the Ravens’ defensive line coach until Ryan brought him to the Jets.

Game plan

The Jets still haven’t run the ball as effectively as they would like, but will try again. It won’t be easy against a Baltimore defense that limited them to three field goals a year ago and blanked St. Louis until late in the third quarter in a 37-7 blowout Sunday. The Jets also will need to do a better job of protecting QB Mark Sanchez, who was sacked four times and suffered a broken nose at Oakland. The Ravens had five sacks against the Rams. The Jets must be wary of fourth-year Baltimore QB Joe Flacco, who threw for 389 yards against the Rams as the Ravens shelved their usual conservative approach. Flacco threw three touchdowns to rookie Torrey Smith, who was filling in for the injured Lee Evans.

— J.P. Pelzman

I understand the relevance and all, but how in the world is Pettine on the hot seat? How does Schotty continue to dodge these bullets? lol.

Perhaps in a subtle attempt to change the reputation he helped foster, Sanchez is taking a very non-pretty boy stance when it comes to the broken nose he suffered against the Raiders on Sunday.

"If it's a cosmetic thing I don't really care," he told 1050-AM in New York. "I'll break my nose every game as long as we're going to win. I don't care about that."

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Archived