This is what the players bargained for....

Scott Dierking

I do not see how teams can get their running games together and in synch with limited practice in pads prior to the season, and in season.

Same goes for run defenses. How can you prepare for run style teams with limited contact?

Obviously some teams will have more success than others, but the quality of play the first quarter of this season seems far less physical than in the past

Because that is the way the league wants it.

Passing numbers are wayyyyy up this year already. The running game is becoming an afterthought.

All you have to do is look at games like Dallas yesterday. Up 24 points they were still throwing the ball.

Same thing in Philly.

Even the frickin Ravens up 27-7 let the Jets back in the game because they were still throwing the ball all over the yard.

The NFL is turning into the arena league.

I remember hearing before the season that these new rules would impact a coach like Rex Ryan more because he relied so heavily on practicing in full pads with full contact in order to develop his physical style of defense. I filed it away and am starting to become a believer.

If your offensive line gets injured, how exactly are you supposed to get into game form without hitting and being in pads?

The Steelers are going through the same thing, with injuries on the line.

More QBs are going to get exposed, which is exactly opposite of what they are trying to do.

The league and the game is different this year. I hope that it is a small sample size, and it will change.

Archived