Jets News 10-6

flgreen

Notes: Cromartie still not a Brady fan

Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Record

Cromartie not a Brady fan

Cornerback Antonio Cromartie’s feelings about Tom Brady haven’t changed, even after the Jets made the future Hall of Famer look like a confused journeyman in their 28-21 playoff upset of host New England in January. Cromartie called Brady an expletive in an interview before that game.

"

I’ll never change how I feel about Tom Brady and what I said last year," Cromartie replied Wednesday when asked about the Pats’ quarterback. "Do I respect him? Yes. He’s a guy that has three Super Bowl rings. But other than that, when we’re on the football field, I don’t really give a [darn]."

Not surprisingly, Brady refused to be drawn into any war of words. In his weekly availability with Patriots’ media, he said, "I don’t care what he said about me, I really don’t."

He also declined to talk about Cromartie on a conference call with Jets’ media.

Mangold practices, Plax sits

Center Nick Mangold practiced on a limited basis Wednesday and saw the most action since suffering a high ankle sprain Sept. 18 against Jacksonville.

When Mangold was asked about his chances of playing Sunday at New England, he replied: "I’d say pretty good. We’ll see. It’s day by day, but it’s looking good."

But WR Plaxico Burress sat out because his left elbow swelled up overnight. He later had it drained and an ultrasound exam showed no problems, so both he and coach Rex Ryan expect him to play against the Patriots.

"I just had a little soreness, a little stiffness, a little swelling," Burress said. "So they just held me out for [Wednesday] and I’ll be ready to go [today] and Friday. So it’s nothing serious, just a little swelling, a little soreness, but it’s nothing to keep me out of the game."

Also for the Jets, LB Calvin Pace (abdomen) didn’t practice, but Ryan expects him to play. New England had numerous players sit out practice, including LB Jerod Mayo (knee), who reportedly is expected to miss several weeks. Former Jets RB Danny Woodhead (ankle) did not practice. His status for Sunday is uncertain.

—J.P. Pelzman

Nothing personal with Ellis

By Michael Vega

Globe Staff / October 6, 2011

FOXBOROUGH - Shaun Ellis said the decision to part ways with the New York Jets , the team that drafted him in the first round (12th overall) in 2000 out of Tennessee, was never personal.

It was strictly business when the Jets made a token attempt to keep the 11th-year defensive end, then the longest-tenured member of the team, leading Ellis to sign a more lucrative deal with the Patriots Aug. 8.

It was just part of the decision that they made,’’ said Ellis, who will face his former team in an important AFC East clash Sunday at Gillette Stadium. “They wanted to go a different route.

For me, it was about putting myself in the best situation, and I came here and hopefully we can continue and go on to more successful things.’’

Even when Jets coach Rex Ryan seemed to make it personal, bidding Ellis adieu by saying, “There’s no way I’m going to wish him well,’’ Ellis knew it was nothing more than a business matter. He knew he had become a salary-cap consideration who didn’t fit into the Jets’ plans.

“You know Rex is Rex and he’s going to voice his opinion, whether it’s jokingly or being serious,’’ Ellis said. “I just didn’t pay any attention to it.

“I’m here, I’m happy to be here, and I’m just ready to go out there and play.’’

The move from Florham Park, N.J., to Foxborough proved to be a sound business decision.

Ellis, 34, more than quadrupled the $910,000 minimum the Jets were offering for 10-year veterans when he agreed to a one-year deal with the Patriots worth $4 million, which included a $1.5 million base salary and a $1.75 million roster bonus.

It also came with a $750,000 signing bonus that nearly matched the Jets’ total offer.

“Shaun has had some really big games against New England,’’ said former teammate Damien Woody, who likely would have had to face Ellis this weekend had he not retired. “Sometimes when you get in a situation like that, you know, as an opposing team, you’re like, ‘Man, this guy has just been killing us - why not bring him aboard?’

“When the Jets made their offer, the Patriots made one that was substantially more. Obviously it was an easy decision for him.’’

Mindful of how he twice sacked Tom Brady in a 28-21 playoff victory last Jan. 16, the Patriots hope Ellis can bring that same pressure to bear against Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez.

“Oh yeah, he gave us problems in the past,’’ said Patriots left guard Logan Mankins of Ellis, who ranks third on the Jets’ all-time sack list with 72 1/2 and had Pro Bowl appearances in 2003 and 2009. “Now, he’s on our side, and we don’t have to worry about him.’

But Woody isn’t convinced that Ellis can reprise the role he had with the Jets as a dominant pass-rusher for the Patriots.

“He’s getting up there in age,’’ said Woody. “He’s still a force in the run game, but to really expect this guy to really pile up a lot of sacks, it’s asking a lot.

“He’s had some really good games against New England, because it’s the biggest rival. So when you play rivals, you tend to play your best games.

“I just think that for people to expect him to have a big year as far as sacks and a difference-maker, I think that was a little bit too much to ask from Shaun Ellis at this point in his career.’’

The Patriots, however, believed Ellis had enough left in his tank to upgrade their pass rush.

“Shaun has been a good player in this league, been very consistent, dependable,’’ said coach Bill Belichick. “Played well against us, played well against a lot of people. We felt like he could help our football team and he has. He’s been a good addition.’’

Asked how jarring a transition it was to find himself a Patriot, Ellis said, “It’s been great. It’s been a wonderful experience, so far. Just seeing how they think and how they go about their business and being a part of it and just basically fitting in line with whatever scheme or adjustment they have.

“You just get in line and follow in line with the rest of the guys. There’s no high egos on this team. You see Brady out there running 20 sprints, you run 20 sprints. So there’s no one player above the team.’’

Ellis wasn’t interested in contrasting the work atmosphere under Ryan and Belichick.

“It’s totally different,’’ he said. “Rex has his way and Bill has his way, so they run two different operations.’’

One operation, though, viewed Ellis as expendable. The other saw him as a prized acquisition.

“Smart guy, very professional, really understands the game, works hard, has a good level of skill,’’ Belichick said. “He’s big, he’s strong, he can run, he has good quickness, he’s a good technique player. He’s been a good player and he’s added a lot to our team.’’

Ellis believes he can do a lot more. In four starts, he has registered only four tackles (three unassisted) and one quarterback hit. And the Patriots have no sacks in the last two games.

“I definitely know I have room to improve,’’ said Ellis. “I’m going to have to elevate my game even more to help our defense. So it’s a gradual building process for me. I just have to keep working hard, and getting my assignments down, and go out and play.

“It’s gradually coming. So all I’ve got to be able to do is go out and turn it loose.’’

What better time to do so than Jets Week?

“Well, it’s here,’’ said Ellis. “Obviously, it’s been in the back of my mind. Just looking to go out and play what the defense calls for and not try to get outside of my element and just play my game.’’

Ellis wants to make sure his emotions don’t get the better of him, as they seemed to with Richard Seymour in Oakland’s 31-19 loss to the Patriots Sunday.

“I mean, it’s a big game, it’s a rivalry game,’’ Ellis said. “Regardless of what side of the ball you’re on, or what sideline you’re on, you want to go out there and play your best in this game. It’s one of the biggest rivalries I’ve been a part of since I’ve been in the league.’’

But in no way does Ellis intend to make it personal.

I think if you make it too personal, that’s when you start messing up,’’ he said. “We’re just going about business as usual.

“It’s definitely a big week for us, because it’s the Jets, and it’s a divisional game, so any time you play within your division, you want to put forth a great effort and win those games.’’

Shalise Manza Young of the Globe staff contributed to this report; Michael Vega can be reached at vega@globe.com.

Struggling Sanchez responds to Holmes' criticism

Thursday, October 6, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

FLORHAM PARK – Mark Sanchez targeted Santonio Holmes 12 times in Sunday’s loss to Baltimore, connecting with him on three occasions.

Afterward, Holmes targeted Sanchez in some of his postgame comments, and those words apparently hit the Mark.

After the 34-17 loss to the Ravens, Holmes said the offensive line needed to play better, and he also said that Sanchez "has to do a better job of making reads and getting the ball where he needs to, so his playmakers can make plays."

Holmes also said that on the clinching touchdown interception by Lardarius Webb, Sanchez threw the ball late.

When asked Wednesday if he took any offense, Sanchez gave an interesting response.

"No, I think our player policy is just to try and keep things in-house," he said, "so that kind of stuff won’t happen. Moving forward, that won’t happen. We’ve talked about it, and those individual improvements and stuff, that happens on a personal level. You go with your coaches and you go through your reads, and I’m going to get better, but that kind of stuff doesn’t go past this locker room."

When asked if Holmes’ comments were addressed in the locker room, the third-year quarterback said, "Yes, within this locker room, we talk about stuff like that. That’s about as far as I’m going to go on that."

When Holmes was asked about Sanchez’s reaction, he replied, "I honestly don’t know what was said that I caused a stir in the locker room.

"If anybody feels bad about that then I’m sorry, but as a captain, that’s my job to point it out amongst ourselves," Holmes said. "And if the media took it the wrong way, I apologize for it. But as far as meaning it to dictate anything negative on my team, I would never do that. I didn’t sign back here to be that guy."

Holmes and Sanchez were named captains by coach Rex Ryan before the season, and Ryan said Monday, when asked about Holmes’ criticisms, he doesn’t "mute" his players.

"If coach [Ryan] put a ‘C’ on my chest," Holmes said, "everybody should listen to what I have to say whether it’s good or bad and let’s build from it. Let’s not take it out and say ‘OK, we’re going to trash this person for saying something bad about the team in the media.’ "

Of course, Holmes isn’t the only person criticizing Sanchez, who is making $16.5 million this season but isn’t playing up to that salary. He had six touchdown passes, five interceptions and four lost fumbles through the first four games, and is the 28th-rated passer in the NFL.

But Sanchez made it clear he hasn’t lost confidence in himself, despite his struggles, as the Jets prepare to visit New England.

"That’s what I’m trying to do this week," he said, "show the guys that ... I’m the Man, I don’t care what anybody says, I’m the Man in this building and we’ve got to win this game," Sanchez said. "That’s what I’ve got to exude. That’s the confidence I need to have. That’s the way I felt this week."

"It doesn’t matter if he’s getting hit or he’s passing for 400 yards," tight end Dustin Keller said of Sanchez. "He’s going to be the same guy no matter what."

The Jets hope Sanchez is the same guy he was in the last meeting with New England, when he threw three touchdown passes with no interceptions in the Jets’ upset playoff win in January.

"It’s nice to know," Sanchez said, "that we [went] up there in the playoffs and we won that game last year. That was huge for us, but it’s a whole new game so we have to be ready."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Ryan shows wear

By Julian Benbow

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - By the looks of the ill-fitting navy blue blazer with an “HOF’’ patch that Jets coach Rex Ryan wore proudly into his news conference yesterday, it was more DIY (do it yourself) than DKNY.

Asked what he was wearing, Ryan said, “Oh, you noticed.’’

Ryan’s alma mater, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, decided to honor him with induction into its athletic Hall of Fame. Ryan used the opportunity to add to his wardrobe, and made sure to bring the letter he received from the university.

“Any time I got a letter from the office of the president, it’s usually not a good thing,’’ he said.

He proceeded to read it.

“Dear Coach Ryan. Congratulations, you’ve been selected by the athletics Hall of Fame committee to be inducted in the Southwestern Oklahoma State Hall of Fame.’’

Then Ryan offered to make copies.

The method to the midweek madness was linked largely to the Jets’ clash with the Patriots Sunday, and the battle between himself and Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

“I mean, you’re talking about two Hall of Famers,’’ Ryan said. “Because we know he’s going to have a bust in Canton and all of that - that minor Hall of Fame.

“It boils down to two Hall of Famers butting heads.’’

Ryan had the tale of the tape memorized.

Belichick, he said, was a Hall of Famer at Wesleyan University. Now, Ryan is a Hall of Famer at Southwestern Oklahoma State. Belichick played center and linebacker; Ryan was a defensive end (“I think I could have held my own with him,’’ Ryan said).

He gave Belichick the edge in one category.

“I think he was a lacrosse player,’’ Ryan said. “I have no idea what I’m doing in lacrosse. I do like the idea, though, of hitting people with a stick.’’

Belichick’s three Super Bowl rings as a head coach put him in rarefied air, but since Ryan took over the Jets in 2009, the teams have split four regular-season matchups, and the Jets bounced the Patriots from the playoffs last season.

“Part of it is your coaching staff vs. their coaching staff,’’ Ryan said. “He’s the best coach in football. If it comes down to us, he’s going to win it. I don’t have a problem saying that. I’m not in that class.

“But I’m going to compete. I’m going to give him everything I have, and that’s what we’re doing as a staff as well.’’

Critical comments Quarterback Mark Sanchez was sacked twice and hit 10 times in the Jets’ 34-17 loss to the Ravens last Sunday night, after which wide receiver Santonio Holmes was somewhat critical of the effort to protect the quarterback, but also of Sanchez’s need to get the ball out of his hands faster

“It starts up front with our big guys, they need to do a better job protecting Mark, and Mark has to do a better job making his reads and getting the ball to playmakers,’’ Holmes said.

Sanchez was asked yesterday about Holmes’s comments, and said that typically those criticisms stay inside the locker room.

“Our player policy is to kind of keep things in-house, so that kind of stuff won’t happen, moving forward that won’t happen,’’ Sanchez said. “We’ve talked about it, and those individual improvements and stuff that happens on a personal level.’’

Holmes, who spoke to the media yesterday after Sanchez, didn’t back off his comments, but said they were intended to be constructive.

“If anybody feels bad about that, then I’m sorry,’’ Holmes said. “But as a captain, that’s my job, to point it out amongst ourselves.’’

No backing down After the Jets absorbed a 45-3 beating from the Patriots in Week 13 last season, cornerback Antonio Cromartie had some choice words for Tom Brady, whom he claimed taunted the Jets sideline with finger pointing.

“I’m not going to change how I feel about Tom Brady and what I said last year,’’ Cromartie said yesterday. “Do I respect him? Yes. He’s a guy that has three Super Bowl rings, but other than that, when we’re on the football field, I don’t really give a damn.’’

At the time, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis said he never noticed the taunting, but now says he has seen film.

“I don’t know, if that’s the case, that’s how he felt at the time,’’ Revis said. “Cro feels that he’s an [expletive]. Everybody’s entitled to their own opinion how they feel about people.’’

Coming back to Gillette Stadium in January and knocking the Patriots out of the playoffs made it easier to forget.

“It was exciting to beat them, especially at their place,’’ Revis said. “It silenced a lot of critics, their fans.’’

Mangold tests ankle Jets center Nick Mangold, sidelined the last two weeks with a high right ankle sprain, tested the injury yesterday. “I’m much better today than I was yesterday, and yesterday was much better than the day before,’’ Mangold said. “It just keeps getting better.’’ Mangold’s absence has been a big one. Not coincidentally, the Jets have allowed 11 sacks this season. “We’ve said it before, he’s the best center in football,’’ Ryan said.

Burress examined Wide receiver Plaxico Burress had his left elbow looked at by team doctors after it swelled up overnight. “He woke up this morning, his elbow was huge,’’ Ryan said. “He said in a game he fell on it and that was it, but last night, around 3 o’clock in the morning he was like, ‘Oh, what’s going on?’ He feels fine now, but obviously you worry about infection and everything else.’’ . . . In addition to Burress, wide receiver Logan Payne (wrist) and linebackers Garrett McIntyre (concussion) and Calvin Pace (abdomen) missed practice.

Julian Benbow can be reached at jbenbow@globe.com

Hey, Rex, Giants still rule this city

Giants Blog

Last Updated: 9:21 AM, October 6, 2011

Posted: 3:00 AM, October 6, 2011

Rex Ryan has been big on making predictions since he arrived into town, predicting the Jets would win the Super Bowl and predicting his team would turn New York green. Remember this from his book:

"When people ask me what it's like to share New York with the Giants, my response is always, I am not sharing it with them -- they're sharing it with me. I know it's going to piss off every Giants fan to hear this, but here you go: We are the better team. We are the big brother."

Ryan's words sound a little ridiculous now that the Jets have gotten off to a sloppy 2-2 start, while the Giants share the NFC East lead at 3-1.

PREDICTION GONE BAD: While Rex Ryan has predicted the Jets would win the Super Bowl and turn New York green, it is Eli Manning and the Giants who have the best record in town.

AP

PREDICTION GONE BAD: While Rex Ryan has predicted the Jets would win the Super Bowl and turn New York green, it is Eli Manning and the Giants who have the best record in town.

While panic could set in if the Jets lose at New England, Sunday, the Giants will return home to a raucous crowd at MetLife Stadium against the 1-3 Seahawks.

"All that talk," linebacker Michael Boley said of the Jets. "You can talk about what you're going to do before the season, but once you go out and play all that talk isn't going to mean anything."

That might depend on who is doing the talking. Truth is the Giants have been better at backing up their own boasts this season than the Jets. It seemed out of character for the Giants when mild-mannered quarterback Eli Manning said during the preseason that he belonged on the same level as three-time Super Bowl winner and future first-ballot Hall of Famer Tom Brady.

And let's not forget when general manager Jerry Reese channeled his inner Rex and guaranteed a playoff berth before hedging his bet.

The last time you heard anything like that from the Giants was when former receiver Plaxico Burress predicted the Giants would beat the Patriots, 23-17, in Super Bowl XLII. Brady laughed at that until losing the game and his perfect season, 17-14.

It's my hunch the 2011 Giants kept hearing all the blather coming from Florham Park and finally had their fill of being painted as a team with lowered expectations and a declining

Q-rating. The Jets had the mouthy coach, the hot shot quarterback and the Giants' Super Bowl receiver.

The Jets were "going to remain the better team for the next 10 years," Ryan wrote in his book. "Whether you like it or not, those are the facts and that's what's going to happen."

These are the facts: There were probably more people that believed Ryan's boasting than believed Manning when he said he belonged on the same level as Brady.

But based on early returns, he does. Manning is the third-ranked quarterback in the league with a 105.6 rating, behind only Aaron Rodgers (124.6) and Brady (111.3). Yesterday, he had the chance to say, "I told you so," but didn't.

"We've done some good things and found a way to win games," he said. "But there is definitely lots of room for improvement. We're not content with where we are now. We want to get better."

The struggling Seahawks offer a mental as well as a physical challenge. They're ranked last in the league offensively, but coach Tom Coughlin has told his Giants to expect "a physical, intense game," against a team that "has improved on a weekly basis." He also pointed out the Giants' futility at stopping the run at Arizona where Beanie Wells rushed for 138 yards and three scores.

In four weeks, the Giants have gone from defending their belief in each other to addressing concerns of being overconfident.

"We have to stay humble," Boley said. "There were a lot of errors [against the Cardinals] that we have to do better at and get corrected."

We figured we'd wait until Christmas Eve for the Jets and Giants to settle bragging rights. We still might. But after four games here's another fact: One team in town is walking the talk; the other one isn't.

george.willis@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/talk_is_cheap_gfM4YlLy6lZyB5ZlWLyHnN#ixzz1a0bcaWKU

Former lineman Woody doubts Jets can rebound

Jets Blog

By JUSTIN TERRANOVA

Last Updated: 9:07 AM, October 6, 2011

Posted: 3:03 AM, October 6, 2011

More Print

The Ground and Pound cannot just be picked up at the lost-and-found.

Former Jets offensive lineman Damien Woody expressed concern yesterday that his old teammates won't be able to turn around a season that's started a disappointing 2-2.

"What I see is a team that can't run the football, can't protect the passer, a quarterback that's struggling -- completed 55 percent of his balls and had some turnovers," Woody, now an analyst with ESPN, said in a conference call.

"Can they turn it around? It's the quarter point in the season, they can turn it around. But I'm just saying what I've seen so far . . . I think it's going to be tough, I really do."

Coach Rex Ryan said this week he plans on returning to the ground-and-pound style his team succeeded with in his first two seasons, when the Jets went to consecutive AFC Championship games. The Jets have allowed Mark Sanchez to throw the ball more this season, but when they have tried to run it's been a struggle. They are 30th in rushing in the 32-team NFL, averaging 3.1 yards per carry.

"That's not something you could just flip the switch on," Woody said of the return to the running game. "That's something you have to do from the beginning."

The Jets started 2-0, but have lost back-to-back road games. It may get even tougher this week with a trip to New England. Woody played the first five years of his career with the Patriots before going to the Lions then joining the Jets in 2008.

"In New England we didn't have the greatest collective of talent, but we played great as a team. That's why we were so successful," said Woody, who won two Super Bowls with the Patriots. "And right now, (the Jets) aren't playing collectively great.

"I don't know if they can get it turned around."

Part of the Jets' problem may be the absence of Woody himself. The former right tackle was cut by the team then retired during the lockout, leaving a hole that replacement Wayne Hunter has failed to fill.

The offensive line's struggles have intensified since Pro Bowl center Nick Mangold went down with a high ankle sprain in Week 2.

"This is Wayne's first year being the guy and, like with anybody, there's going to be growing pains. My hope with the situation is that he progresses as the season goes on."

justin.terranova@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/damien_doubts_gang_green_rebound_8r5pLyejcsqRcbsN5ASNOJ#ixzz1a0cEPwQN

Jets captains Sanchez, Holmes seem at odds over comments

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:14 AM, October 6, 2011

Posted: 3:29 AM, October 6, 2011

More Print

Consider it “Tone It Down Time” around the Jets.

The postgame comments from wide receiver Santonio Holmes this week bothered his teammates enough that it was addressed behind closed doors. Holmes criticized the offensive line and quarterback Mark Sanchez after Sunday’s 34-17 loss to the Ravens.

Sanchez said it won’t happen again.

“I think our player policy is to just kind of keep things in house,” Sanchez said. “That kind of stuff won’t happen.

“Moving forward, that won’t happen. We’ve talked about it. Those individual improvements and stuff that happens on a personal level. . . . That kind of stuff doesn’t go past this locker room.”

When asked if he addressed the issue personally with Holmes, Sanchez said, “Within this locker room we talk about stuff like that. That’s about as far as I’m going to go on that.”

Minutes later, Holmes did not seem to have any idea what Sanchez was talking about.

He said no teammates said anything to him about what he said Sunday night, and that he didn’t even remember what he said.

After the Jets offense failed miserably against the Ravens, allowing Sanchez to get hit 10 times and failing to do much of anything, Holmes pointed the finger at the line and Sanchez. Holmes maintained that he also criticized the receivers, but it did not sound that way.

“It starts up front with our big guys, they need to do a better job protecting Mark, and Mark has to do a better job making his reads and getting the ball to playmakers,” Holmes said.

Sanchez and Holmes have not clicked on the field this season, connecting just 13 times in four games. Holmes expressed his frustration after the 34-24 loss in Oakland that he was targeted just twice. Against the Ravens, he was targeted 12 times. Holmes finished with just three catches for 33 yards, though.

Rex Ryan named both Sanchez and Holmes captains this season. Most people believe he selected Holmes as a way of motivating him to avoid trouble. Holmes is one transgression away from a season-long suspension.

Holmes feels that being a captain allows him to speak the way he did Sunday.

“If coach put a ‘C’ on my chest, everybody should listen to what I have to say whether it’s good or bad and let’s build from it,” Holmes said. “Let’s not take it out and say, ‘OK, we’re going to trash this person for saying something bad about the team in the media.’ ”

Holmes was suspended for the first four games in his first season as a Jet, but his impact was felt when he returned. He had two game-winning touchdown catches, and signed a five-year, $45.5 million contract with the team in July. Ryan likes to refer to the fourth quarter as “Tone Time.”

Sanchez was not the only Jets quarterback who did not like what Holmes said. Earlier this week on his regular radio spot, Jets legend Joe Namath ripped Holmes for griping publicly. Holmes did not seem to care what Namath had to say.

“Joe Namath doesn’t work for the New York Jets,” Holmes said. “He doesn’t coach here. He doesn’t have anything positive to say about us. We can’t feed into what he says on the outside to the media.”

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/qb_holmes_can_agree_YVxW709WBQmNpIaIPJTKDO#ixzz1a0cjjYK0

Brady still has loss to Jets in his head

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 9:42 AM, October 6, 2011

Posted: 3:33 AM, October 6, 2011

Tom Brady has spent the past nine months trying to get the Jets out of his head.

Sunday in Foxborough, the Jets plan on getting back inside it, and staying in it.

Brady & Co. may be just what Dr. Rex Ryan ordered following the Ravens debacle.

“I’m not really focused on what he said, and how he felt after that game, it really don’t matter to me,” Darrelle Revis was saying yesterday.

“We expect Brady to come out throwing punches, and we’re gonna throw punches back. . . . I mean, that’s basically how I could sum it up.

“We don’t expect him to hold off, or hold back anything. We want him to bring his best out, so we can play.”

This is what Brady told WEEI in Boston less than two months ago about Jets 28, Patriots 21:

“The Jets loss, I’ll never get over that. That’s as painful a loss as we’ve ever had here as a team.”

This was what Brady told the Boston media yesterday: “That was a long time ago. So that game doesn’t have much bearing on this week. We’re a different team.”

And this is what he told the New York media: “Honestly, it’s pretty far out of my mind at this point. You watch it, you study it, but the emotional part of it, I’ve kind of put off. I’m very much into what we’re trying to do this year and trying to understand what their defense is trying to do this year. There is not much we can take from that game emotionally last year that can help us this weekend.”

With all due respect, that sounds like a Brady bunch of bull to me.

“We tried to rattle him, the playoff game, and we did,” Revis said. “We got him uncomfortable back there. That’s what people say about Tom, is try to rattle him and get him moving in the pocket a little bit.”

Anyone who knows Brady knows that he is arguably the most competitive player in the NFL, now playing at the top of his Hall of Fame game. You know he “can’t wait” to shut up Bart Scott, for one. (And Antonio Cromartie, for another.)

“This was the quarterback that couldn’t get touched,” Scott crowed afterwards. “(The media) talk all about how great he’s playing, but what Rex pulled out for us was his last three playoff games — what his record was and what his rating (66)was then. . .”

And: “He started looking for the rush when there was no rush. He thought after a certain amount of time somebody was coming, he was fidgeting. . . . Most quarterbacks don’t like getting hit. They get hit and they turn into a totally different person.”

It will be up to Revis to slow Brady and Welker’s assault on the record books. Revis marvels how their chemistry rivals Brady’s old chemistry with Randy Moss.

“He’s very fast, he’s quick, usually there’s a nickel back on him or a dime back on him, he reads them very well,” Revis said. “He breaks away from your leverage, if you’re inside, he’s breaking outside, if you’re outside, he’s breaking inside. . . ..When you watch him and Tom play, it’s like, ‘If I break this way, throw it outside, if I break that way, throw it inside away from the defender.’ They’re very smart of how they work together and how they break Cover 1s on man coverage.”

Brady will throw to the receiver who is open. Welker is usually open.

“You could see him going more vertical now,” Revis said.

Added Ryan: “This past week, in particular, they ran a lot of Cover 2 and he ended up beating them with some corner routes as the inside slot receiver,” Ryan said.

+

The Jets sacked Brady, confused by coverage and knocked around, five times last January. “If he knows what coverage you’re in, and knows what front, knows what pressure you’re in, then he’s gonna carve you up,” Ryan said. “The chance you have, is if there is some confusion there. You don’t present an obvious picture to him.”

Mark Sanchez, eager to bounce back from his nightmare, isn’t concerned with dueling Brady.

“Win, lose or draw, I need to be the hardest-working guy in this building,” Sanchez said yesterday. “So to come back on Wednesday and work through it Wednesday and show these guys, ‘I’m The Man, I don’t care what anybody says. I’m The Man in this building, we’re gonna win this game,’ that’s how I gotta be. That’s what I gotta exude. That’s the confidence I need to have.”

The confidence all of them will need against Brady.

steve.serby@nypost.com

Jets coach fashions Hall of a jacket

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:34 AM, October 6, 2011

Posted: 2:00 AM, October 6, 2011

More Print

Rex Ryan is known for his sweater vests, but he broke out a blazer for yesterday's press conference -- a Hall of Fame blazer.

The Jets head coach wore a navy blue blazer with a homemade logo on the left side of the chest with the words "SWOSU Hall of Fame 2011" with a picture of a bulldog. On the back, the letters "HOF" were taped on.

Ryan explained that his alma mater, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, was inducting him into its Hall of Fame. He pulled out the letter to prove it.

"I just wanted everybody to understand that you're talking about two Hall of Famers," Ryan said of him and Patriots coach Bill Belichick. "Because we know he's going to have a bust in Canton and all that, that other, minor Hall of Fame."

Ryan has not been as colorful this year during his press conferences as in his first two years, but he dialed it up for Patriots week. Last year, Ryan dressed up like his brother Rob, then the Browns' defensive coordinator, before they faced off.

The only disappointing thing about the Hall of Fame, Ryan said, was who else was going in with him.

"I found out my brother got the same letter," he said.

WR Plaxico Burress did not practice yesterday, but insists he will be fine for Sunday's game.

Burress woke up yesterday with a swollen elbow.

"It's nothing serious," he said. "It was nothing that happened in the game but some freakish swelling overnight while I was sleeping. They gave me a little bit of medication."

Ryan said the Jets doctors drained the elbow, but Burress said he had an ultrasound to make sure nothing was wrong. Burress, 34, had a sprained ankle in training camp, and dealt with hamstring tightness last week.

WR Derrick Mason jawed with Bill Belichick as a member of the Ravens, a scene captured in the NFL Network documentary on the Patriots coach.

The two went back and forth at each other with Belichick cursing at him. Mason said he's not worried about that this week.

"Oh man, I'm not thinking about that," Mason said. "I've got to worry about winning a football game. I could care less about a Belichick documentary. We've got to win a football game."

OLB Calvin Pace (abdomen) did not practice, but Ryan expects him to play. OLB Garrett McIntyre (concussion) did not practice. DE Muhammad Wilkerson (shoulder) was limited. . . . The Jets have not placed OLB Bryan Thomas (torn Achilles) on injured reserve yet, but Ryan said they plan to.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/rex_fashions_hall_of_jacket_24XmCRDIG0PwxqQUr2DV7K#ixzz1a0eMu0cQ

Jets have chance to take advantage of Patriots defense

By BART HUBBUCH

Last Updated: 9:07 AM, October 6, 2011

Posted: 2:06 AM, October 6, 2011

More Print

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- If ever there were a defense for the Jets to get healthy against, it's the sickly group the Patriots will bring into Gillette Stadium here Sunday.

Despite Bill Belichick's alleged defensive genius and the use of an astounding 25 draft picks on that side of the ball since 2007, New England has ranked last in the NFL in total defense by a wide margin all season after being mired near the bottom most of last year, too.

Even the Jets, whose offense has struggled all season and was helpless in last week's 34-17 loss to the Ravens, couldn't resist a dig at the Patriots' defensive woes yesterday.

"I think the numbers speak for themselves on how well those guys are not playing on their defense," Jets wide receiver Santonio Holmes said.

Ouch!

Except in New England's case, the dig by Holmes is nothing but the truth. The Patriots are last in pass defense (368.8 yards per game) and tied for 18th in run defense (108.8 yards), and to add injury to insult, just lost leading tackler Jerod Mayo for at least six weeks after the inside linebacker hurt his knee last Sunday.

If this holds up, New England would finish last in total defense for the third time since the NFL went to a 16-game season in 1978 -- and the other two Patriots teams that pulled off that embarrassing feat finished 2-14 in 1992 and 1-15 in 1990, respectively.

With Tom Brady on pace to shatter the league's single-season passing record, the 3-1 Patriots already have won more than either of those previous statistical cellar-dwellers and don't appear in danger of even missing the playoffs as long as Brady stays healthy.

But the defensive woes, which stretch back to their No. 25 ranking last year, don't exactly inspire confidence that the Patriots can end their recent run of postseason pratfalls.

With a defense that no longer scares opponents like the Patriots did during their Super Bowl dynasty of the early 2000s, New England has lost its first playoff game -- at home, no less -- each of the past two seasons.

T

he Patriots have been opportunistic on defense, posting a plus-4 turnover margin through the first four games, but there's no denying such lesser weights as Chad Henne (416 passing yards), Ryan Fitzpatrick (369 yards) and Jason Campbell (344 yards) have torched Belichick's hand-picked defense this season.

Even the addition of former Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis and mercurial defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth to a unit boasting Pro Bowl regular Vince Wilfork and former Rutgers standout cornerback Devin McCourty have done little to improve Belichick's pride and joy.

"It's just a matter of being better about your assignments and correcting a lot of little things," said Ellis, who added with a straight face yesterday that facing his old team will be "just another game to me."

Belichick continues to wave off questions about his team's shoddy defense, but his concern is obvious from his actions -- the Patriots have even experimented with a 4-3 scheme after years as a 3-4 team.

But little has worked, at least so far.

Ellis has just four tackles and no sacks in the first four games combined, and Haynesworth has been out of shape and virtually useless. A revolving-door secondary, aside from McCourty, remains the bigger problem, though, and one that could cause the Patriots to waste another magnificent regular season like they did last year's 14-2 finish.

"We need to play better, no doubt about it," safety Patrick Chung said yesterday. "We're determined to do that."

bhubbuch@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/woe_that_line_e66USdBFpydBeEw4WcQQ1I#ixzz1a0f21rJG

NY Jets' Antonio Cromartie still thinks Tom Brady is an '---hole'; Plaxico plans to be ready Sunday

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, October 6th 2011, 4:00 AM

Tom Brady might be a great quarterback, but he's still a jerk.

That was the message Wednesday from Jets corner Antonio Cromartie, who declined to back down from his statements to the Daily News last year that Brady is an "---hole .. . f--- him."

"My feelings are the same. Nothing is going to change. Whatever I said last year," a playful Cromartie said, adding that he enjoys being the villain in New England. "I hope I'm a target this game. I want to be a target every game. ...I hope I get booed again. I really don't care. They're not my fans (in New England). My fans are here in New York."

Brady didn't want to get involved. He praised Cromartie's skills as "an excellent player," but declined to comment on his mouth.

"I don't really care what he says," Brady told reporters in New England before cutting short his press conference, apparently perturbed by the subject.

Cromartie started this beef before last season's playoff game by calling out Brady for finger-pointing during a previous blowout victory over the Jets. Although the Jets upset the Patriots in the playoffs, flustering Brady in the process, Cromartie wouldn't lay off the vitriol.

"I'm not going to change what I said last year about Tom Brady," Cromartie said. "Do I respect him? Yes. He has three football rings. But other than that, when we're on the football field, I don't really give a damn."

As for his game plan Sunday, Cromartie wants "to beat the hell out of their receivers."

Darrelle Revis doesn't agree with his fellow cornerback on Brady, but Randy Moss is a different story. "No. I don't share that feeling (about Brady). If I did, I would say it. I would say it out loud," Revis said. "Now if Randy was there I'd probably call him a slouch (again)."

HALL OF SCHTICK

Rex Ryan walked out to his press conference with a blazer and an agenda: Applaud himself, get some laughs and, of course, poke Bill Belichick.

Wearing a jacket over his Jets gear with a crudely designed Hall of Fame patch on the left pocket (above, at right) - Ryan found a way to work his nemesis into the conversation.

"We always say it's Belichick versus I," Ryan said, explaining that the patch is a symbol of a recent induction at his alma mater, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, and that Belichick is in the Hall of Fame at Wesleyan University in Connecticut. "So it boils down to two Hall of Famers butting heads. That's why I wore the blazer."

After setting up the storyline, Ryan knocked himself down.

"(Belichick's) the best coach in football. If it comes down to us, he's going to win," Ryan said. "And I don't have a problem saying that, I'm not in his class."

ELBOW ROOM

Plaxico Burress expects to recover for Sunday's game after skipping Wednesday's practice with inflammation in his elbow.

The wide receiver fell on his arm during Sunday's defeat and it swelled up on Tuesday night, leaving him sleepless and "a little sore, a little stiff, a little swollen."

"I was held out today, I could do everything (Thursday) and Friday," Burress said. "So it's nothing serious, nothing that would keep me out of the game."

Burress' last catch against the Patriots won the Super Bowl for the Giants in 2008. He called it his crowning moment. "It's definitely the best (moment in my career). Coming into this business, it's something that you dream of," Burress said. "Playing the wide receiver position, being able to play in the Super Bowl but to win it in the fashion that I did, it's something that you dream of as a child. It was a defining moment of a lot of guys in our careers and it was beautiful moment."

MANGOLD BACK

Though limited, Nick Mangold returned to practice and said his chances of playing Sunday are "pretty good."

This is good news for a struggling offense and a porous line. "It was good to have Nick back," said Mark Sanchez, who wasn't protected well during Mangold's two-game absence because of a high ankle sprain. "He provides us with a lot of leadership on the offensive line."

The Jets averaged just 69 rushing yards in the last two games. "We should be able to do everything we want to now," Shonn Greene said. "We have our core guys back."...The Jets experimented with practice squad DL Jarron Gilbert as a blocking tight end in practice Wednesday.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/06/2011-10-06_curses_cromarties_still_no_fan_of_brady.html#ixzz1a0gJhQf4

The Jets and Jones-Drew

By GEORGE BRETHERTON

With the N.F.L.’s trade deadline approaching (Oct. 18) and the Jets in need of a jolt, should they be among the teams looking to buy? If so, Jacksonville could be a place to look.

New York Jets

Jacksonville Jaguars

Did Jacksonville’s game against Carolina two weeks ago rub off on Jaguars Coach Jack Del Rio that much?

As the rest of the N.F.L. world is in the process of discovering, Carolina has decided to turn the rookie quarterback Cam Newton loose. Newton was supposed to have trouble adjusting to the rigors of an N.F.L. passing offense, but instead has lit up the skies in the first four weeks of the season, throwing for 1,386 yards and 5 scores. Carolina is 1-3 under the new coach Ron Rivera, but the message is clear: The Panthers are going to win or lose with the ball in Newton’s hands.

The Newton-Del Rio connection comes into play based on how the Jaguars played the Saints last Sunday. Del Rio, a coach who loves to run the ball, called seven consecutive pass play in the Jaguars’ first possession after winning the coin toss. The possession ended with Blaine Gabbert, Del Rio’s rookie quarterback, throwing incomplete on fourth-and-six from the Saint 38.

It didn’t stop there. The Jaguars threw on 75 percent of their plays in the first half as they fell behind, 14-10. Gabbert was busy, completing 12 of 24 passes for 165 yards and a score. He also ran twice for 14 yards.

And what of Maurice Jones-Drew?

He rushed three times for 0 yards.

The Jaguars were held scoreless in the second half of the Saints’ 23-10 victory. Gabbert struggled in that half and finished 16 of 42 for 196 yards. What bears watching, though, is the approach Jacksonville (1-3) may be taking. Are they going to continue to let it fly with Gabbert? If so, how does that affect the status of Jones-Drew? The Jaguars have already cut David Garrard, their former starting quarterback, in a cost-cutting move. The Jaguars are committed to going with a younger roster. On a financial note, Jacksonville regularly has trouble selling out its stadium.

If the Jaguars were to lose this Sunday to Cincinnati, they would be 1-4 with a game at Pittsburgh the following Sunday. Would another cost-cutting move be out of the question? Would they dare part with the popular Jones-Drew?

If Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum is going to earn his money this season, he needs to continue to monitor every situation around the league. And not just at running back. The Jets reportedly have some room to maneuver under the salary cap.

Jones-Drew, who finished the game against the Saints with 84 yards on 11 carries, is in the third year of a five-year, $30.95 million contract. He is due to make $4.05 million this season.

Jets fans may only be able to dream of a backfield of M.J.D., L.T. and Shonn Greene — instantly one of the N.F.L.’s best.

But the least Tannenbaum can do is make a phone call.

Damien doubts Jets turnaround

October, 6, 2011

Oct 6

8:53

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Damien Woody knows the inner workings of the Jets better than most. After all, he played right tackle for them for three years. These days, he's an analyst for ESPN, paid for his opinions. On Wednesday, he was on a conference call with reporters to discuss the Jets and, although he didn't unload on his old team, a la Joe Namath, he provided opinion and insight on what's going wrong.

Here's a sampling, per The Star-Ledger of Newark:

• On whether they can rebound: "Do I think it will get turned around? I don’t know. I really don’t know. It's early in the season; we’re only at the quarter point. But right now, the early returns don’t look good on how they are performing.

"Right now, I’m just going off what I see, and what I see is a team that can't run the football, they can't protect the passer; a quarterback that is struggling, he's completed 55 percent of his balls, he's committed a lot of turnovers. Now, can they turn it around? Look it’s the quarter point of the season, there's a lot of season left -- yeah, they could turn it around. But I'm just saying, what I've seen so far at this point, it’s going to be tough."

• On Rex Ryan's declaration to the team that it's reverting to its run-oriented style: "The thing I have a problem with is Rex says, 'We’re going to go back to ground and pound; we are going to run the ball.' But that’s something you have to do from Day 1. You can't just flip the switch and just say, 'Oh, we are going to be a rushing team now.' That’s something you have to do from the beginning; that’s your identity, The run game is so hard, it’s almost impossible to just flip the switch and just be a run team, it really is."

• On how the new CBA, with less padded practices, is hurting the team: "I think the new rules hurt the Jets really bad. In order to go back and try to be this ground-and-pound team, you have to practice that, you're going to have to practice that in pads ... It's hard to really establish that physicality (without pads). I think you see it on both sides. You see the slip in the run defense. I think the practice rule has really hurt the Jets as a whole."

• On his replacement, Wayne Hunter: "This is Wayne's first year being 'The guy.' My hope with the situation is that as the season progresses, he's going to get better. Right now, he's run into some bumps in the road. It's hard in the National Football League, it's hard to be the guy and go out there and play at a high level every game. I'm sure (offensive line) coach (Bill) Callahan and Rex understand the challenges that lie ahead, are going to put the necessary work in."

Holmes takes more shots

October, 6, 2011

Oct 6

8:41

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

Santonio Holmes is on a roll. The Jets' outspoken wide receiver has been spewing a lot of opinions lately, and Wednesday he also hit the Patriots' underwhelming defense and Jets legend Joe Namath.

Statistically, the Patriots are having a rough go on defense, ranked 32nd in yards allowed (477.5 per game).

"The numbers speak for themselves about how well they're not playing," Holmes said.

That might find its way to Bill Belichick's bulletin board.

Holmes also didn't hold back on Namath, who went on 1050 ESPN Radio Monday and criticized Holmes for his critical comments about the offensive line and Mark Sanchez after the loss in Baltimore.

"Joe Namath doesn't work for the New York Jets," Holmes said. "He doesn't coach here. He doesn't have anything positive to say about us. We can't feed into what he talks about on the outside to the media."

Inside the Jets' trends

October, 6, 2011

Oct 6

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

What's with the Jets? An inside look at some trends, with help from ESPN Stats and Information:

MARK SANCHEZ: PASSES 10 YARDS OR LESS

62-for-102 ... 60.8% ... 578 yards ... 3 TDs ... 1 INT ... 82.1 passer rating

Analysis: His completion percentage ranks 29th in the league. Sanchez's numbers took a big hit Sunday night in Baltimore.

JETS OFFENSE: PERCENTAGE OF RUSHING PLAYS UNDE REX RYAN

2011 -- 34.4% ... 27th

2010 -- 47.9% ... 2nd

2009 - 57.7% ... 1st

Analysis: Detect a trend? It doesn't get more obvious than this. The shift to the pass isn't work, so Rex Ryan has declared his intentions to return to Ground & Pound.

JETS: MOST PENALIZED PLAYERS

Antonio Cromartie -- 5 for 51 yards

Wayne Hunter -- 3 for 30 yards

Matt Slauson -- 2 for 15 yards

Marquice Cole -- 1 for 15 yards

Plaxico Burress -- 1 for 15 yards

Analysis: Cromartie running away with this unwanted title.

OFFENSIVE SHORT-YARDAGE RUSHING

(3rd or 4th down with 2 or fewer to gain)

3 rushes ... 3 yards ... 1 first down ... 33% first-down percentage

Analysis: No team in the league has gaines less than a 33-percent conversion rate.

SANCHEZ: SCREEN PASSING

8-for-9 ... 88.9% ... 149 yards ... 0 TDs ... 0 INTs ... 92.1 passer rating

Analysis: Sanchez is one of the most efficient screen-throwing QBs in the league, yet the Jets don't call that many screens. Only eight passers have attempted fewer screens than Sanchez.

Rift between Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes is last thing NY Jets need before facing New England

Gary Myers

The lockers of Mark Sanchez and Santonio Holmes are only 15 feet apart, but the Jets better hope the little firestorm Holmes started with some mildly critical comments of Sanchez earlier this week doesn't turn the distance into 15 miles. It already led to a clear-the-air meeting.

The Jets are a team with great expectations that has underachieved through the first month of the season. The quarterback was expected to take huge strides after beating Peyton Manning and Tom Brady back-to-back in the playoffs last season, but not only has that not happened, he's become ultra-sensitive.

This little rift is not what the Jets, on a demoralizing two-game losing streak, need as they get ready to go into New England on Sunday, especially with the Patriots looking for revenge after the Jets eliminated them in the playoffs.

Sanchez was inept against the Ravens, undone by the lack of protection from his offensive line and no running game. He fumbled twice on blind-side sacks with the Ravens returning them for touchdowns. Then in the third quarter, after the Jets had cut the Ravens 27-7 lead to 27-17 and recovered Joe Flacco's fumble at the Baltimore 27, Sanchez was trying to hit Holmes on the right sideline but it was turned into a 73-yard pick six.

In the cramped visitor's locker room after the game, Holmes said, "It starts up front with the big guys. They've got to do a better job of protecting Mark, and Mark has to do a better job of making reads and getting the ball where he needs to, so his playmakers can make plays."

Uh, no kidding. Not exactly headline stuff. That hardly sufficed for biting criticism or analysis. Holmes was stating the obvious. But Sanchez made it clear Wednesday that he thought Holmes had violated the locker-room code of never saying a bad word about a teammate.

Sanchez first said he didn't take offense to what Holmes said, but then added, "I think our player policy is just to kind of keep things in house so that kind of stuff won't happen."

But Holmes didn't keep it in house. "No," Sanchez said. "Moving forward that won't happen. We talked about it. Those individual improvements and stuff, that happens on a personal level and you go with your coaches and you go through your reads and I'm going to get better. But that kind of stuff doesn't go past this locker room."

So, Holmes' comments were addressed? "Yeah, within this locker room we talk about stuff like that," Sanchez said. "That's about as far as I'm going to go on that."

Rex Ryan named Sanchez and Holmes offensive captains this season. Holmes is taking the job seriously. He feels it's his place to speak up when matters need to be addressed.

Holmes has only 13 catches for 164 yards and one touchdown in the Jets' 2-2 start, which could be leading to some frustration. He trails New England's Wes Welker by 27 catches, 452 yards and four touchdowns.

"The coach put a 'C' on my chest. Everybody should listen to what I have to say, whether it's good or bad," Holmes said. "The coach picked me to be a captain of this team for a reason, because of the leadership qualities that I have."

Sanchez better pick up his game against the Patriots or the Jets are going to have a hard time keeping it close in New England. "I need to be the hardest-working guy in this building and that's what I am trying to do this week and show these guys that, yeah. Bad stuff happens, sure losses like that happen," Sanchez said. "If it never happens again in my career, I'd be pretty lucky, but there is a chance that can happen again at some point."

His goal Wednesday was to "show these guys I'm the man, I don't care what anybody says, I'm the man in the building, we are going to win this game.'"

Holmes seemed surprised that his comments had become such a big deal. But he refused to discuss any conversation he might have with Sanchez or anybody else.

"What we talked about is amongst ourselves, and as professionals, we have to get the job done and do a better job," he said. "I have to do a better job of holding onto the ball. He has to do a better job of completing the pass. I think we go forward from there."

Of course, Joe Namath weighed in, saying Holmes' comments could cause "divisiveness" and "that can bury a team."

"Joe Namath doesn't work for the New York Jets," Holmes said. "He doesn't coach here. He doesn't have anything positive to say about us. We can't feed into what he talks about on the outside to the media."

Holmes did have a bit of revisionist history about his Sunday night comments when he claimed Wednesday, "I also said the receivers have to do better, so I talked about everybody."

He never mentioned the receivers after the game, but the receivers were not the problem anyway. Holmes said Ryan has not said anything to him about his postgame comments. "As far as meaning it to dictate anything negative on my team, I would never do that," he said. "I didn't sign back here to be that guy."

This is a disagreement in protocol between Sanchez and Holmes. If it carries over onto the field, then Ryan will have to intercede.

Jets’ Plaxico Burress Sits Out Practice With Elbow Issue

October 6, 2011 9:24 AM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (AP) — Plaxico Burress insists his swollen left elbow won’t keep him out of his first game in the Jets-Patriots rivalry.

The New York wide receiver did not practice Wednesday after the elbow swelled up in the middle of the night. He fell on it during the Jets’ 34-17 loss at Baltimore last Sunday, and Burress woke up around 3 a.m. Wednesday because of the sudden swelling.

“I just had a little soreness, a little stiffness, a little swelling,” Burress said. “So they just held me out for today and I’ll be ready to go (Thursday) and Friday. So it’s nothing serious, just a little swelling, a little soreness, but it’s nothing to keep me out of the game.”

Coach Rex Ryan said the elbow needed to be drained, but Burress said he had an ultrasound taken to make sure it was OK.

Burress, who has 10 catches for 160 yards and two touchdowns, has also dealt with a sprained ankle and tightness in a hamstring since signing with the Jets as a free agent in late July. He had a long layoff from football after serving a 20-month prison term on a gun charge after accidentally shooting himself in the leg in November 2008.

Linebacker Calvin Pace also didn’t practice Wednesday because of an issue with his abdomen. Ryan said he should be fine to play against the Patriots. He and Burress worked off to the side with trainers during practice.

Center Nick Mangold was limited, but said his high right ankle sprain is improving. He participated in some drills in full pads with the first-team offense and hopes to play after missing the last two games.

“I’d say pretty good,” Mangold said of his chances of playing. “We’ll see. It’s day by day, but it’s looking good.”

Mangold added that if the Jets had been playing Wednesday, he thought he would be able to go.

Linebacker Garrett McIntyre (concussion) didn’t practice, although Ryan said he’s getting better after being injured at Baltimore. Rookie defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson was limited with a sore shoulder, as he has been the last couple of weeks.

Copyright 2011 The Associated Press.

Jets’ Sanchez On Holmes: Criticism Needs To Stay In Locker Room

October 6, 2011 9:20 AM

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – Mark Sanchez looked into the mirror and carefully thought about his last performance.

It was awful, and he knew it. So, the Jets quarterback scribbled some notes into a pad, and then took out an erasable marker and wrote a few things on the glass in front of him.

“It’s to remind yourself,” Sanchez said Wednesday, “to never let that happen again and move on.”

After the Jets’ 34-17 loss to the Ravens, wide receiver Santonio Holmes was critical of Sanchez and the rest of the team, saying they all need to play better if they are going to succeed. Holmes’ comments got lots of play, and seemed to hint at the possible beginnings of dissension.

“If anybody feels bad about that then I’m sorry, but as a captain, that’s my job to point it out amongst ourselves,” Holmes said. “And if the media took it the wrong way, I apologize for it. But as far as meaning it to dictate anything negative on my team, I would never do that. I didn’t sign back here to be that guy.”

Sanchez said moving forward, comments such as Holmes’ will not go outside the players’ meetings and their own conversations.

“I think our player policy is to just kind of keep things in house,” Sanchez said. “That kind of stuff won’t happen … That kind of stuff doesn’t go past this locker room.”

After all, there are plenty of others offering their own criticisms, including the quickly growing number of fans and media saying Sanchez should be a lot better in his third season.

Hall of Famer Joe Namath didn’t like that Holmes went public with his thoughts on the team’s struggles but has been one of the team’s most vocal critics.

“Joe Namath doesn’t work for the New York Jets,” Holmes said. “He doesn’t coach here. He doesn’t have anything positive to say about us. We can’t feed into what he says.”

Sanchez has six touchdown passes and five interceptions, but his 75.9 quarterback rating is among the league’s worst. His decision-making has also been questioned and his ability to actually be the franchise-type quarterback the Jets still insist he is.

“He’ll be just fine,” wide receiver Plaxico Burress said. “This is a town where you just have to put everything aside and not pay attention to what everybody’s saying outside and just focus on your job and go out and play. He’s coming in and doing everything he needs to do and we’ve got to help him, everybody: the offensive line, myself, the running backs. … It’s not just him out there playing by himself. We all have to look ourselves in the mirror and be accountable also.”

It’s been a rough start to the season for the young quarterback, who has been knocked around by defenses that have left him bruised and battered. Sanchez was 11 for 35 for 119 yards and an interception against Baltimore, and he vows to bounce back. He’ll certainly need to be a lot better Sunday, when the Jets (2-2) play the Patriots (3-1) in New England.

“If it never happens again in my career, I’d be pretty lucky, but there is a chance that could happen again at some point,” Sanchez said. “To come back on Wednesday and work through it and show these guys, `I’m the man. I don’t care what anybody says. I’m the man in this building. We’re going to win this game,’ that’s how I have to be. That’s what I have to exude. That’s the confidence I need to have, and that’s the way I felt this week.”

And, it has shown to his teammates, who insist their faith has not wavered in Sanchez.

“He didn’t come in here with his head down,” center Nick Mangold said. “He didn’t come in here moping around. He came in ready to work.”

At least Sanchez is healthy, something that has been far from guaranteed this season while working behind an offensive line that has been subpar so far and contributed to him being sacked 11 times in four games. Sanchez was tested for a concussion after the season opener against Dallas, bruised his throwing arm the following week against Jacksonville and then suffered a broken nose at Oakland two weeks ago.

Sanchez acknowledged that he takes some of the blame for the injuries, trying too hard to make things happen. But, it was clear against the Ravens that if he continues to take such hard hits, he’s not going to last the entire season.

“Under that kind of pressure,” coach Rex Ryan said, “Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, whoever would’ve had a rough day.”

Tight end Dustin Keller, one of Sanchez’s best friends on the team, said he and his teammates reassure their quarterback, but it’s not necessarily needed.

“He kind of lets all the outside stuff go in one ear and out the other,” Keller said. “He knows what he has to do and I think that’s part of the reason they brought him in. He had to deal with similar things at USC, you know, a big market, especially for college. He’s done a great job of letting those things pass. He knows we have all the confidence in the world in him, and that’s all that matters.”

Seattle’s Pete Carroll, Sanchez’s coach in college, has seen him make progress from afar since his rookie season, and likes how the quarterback has toughed things out during times like this.

“The other night was a ridiculously challenging defense that they went up against,” Carroll said. “I thought he was battling like crazy and I know he wants to be cleaner in the numbers and they start to add up a bit, but just like he has in the past, he will bounce back and be the guy everybody is counting on.”

Landolt Signed to Practice Squad

By Jets Media Relations Department

The New York Jets have signed tackle Dennis Landolt to the practice squad. The announcement was made by general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

Landolt (6'4", 306) was released from the New Orleans practice squad Oct. 1 after being signed to the Saints' practice squad Sept. 5. He was waived by the Jets on Sept. 3 after being signed to a reserve/future contract Jan. 24. Landolt initially joined the Jets as a member of their practice squad on Jan. 12. He also spent last season on the practice squads of the New York Giants and San Francisco 49ers.

A three-year starter at Penn State, Landolt played right tackle before moving to left tackle his senior season, where he was named All-Big Ten first team and Associated Press All-America third team as part of an offensive line that allowed just 17 sacks in 13 games.

Ryan shows wear

By Julian Benbow

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - By the looks of the ill-fitting navy blue blazer with an “HOF’’ patch that Jets coach Rex Ryan wore proudly into his news conference yesterday, it was more DIY (do it yourself) than DKNY.

Asked what he was wearing, Ryan said, “Oh, you noticed.’’

Ryan’s alma mater, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, decided to honor him with induction into its athletic Hall of Fame. Ryan used the opportunity to add to his wardrobe, and made sure to bring the letter he received from the university.

“Any time I got a letter from the office of the president, it’s usually not a good thing,’’ he said.

He proceeded to read it.

“Dear Coach Ryan. Congratulations, you’ve been selected by the athletics Hall of Fame committee to be inducted in the Southwestern Oklahoma State Hall of Fame.’’

Then Ryan offered to make copies.

The method to the midweek madness was linked largely to the Jets’ clash with the Patriots Sunday, and the battle between himself and Patriots coach Bill Belichick.

“I mean, you’re talking about two Hall of Famers,’’ Ryan said. “Because we know he’s going to have a bust in Canton and all of that - that minor Hall of Fame.

“It boils down to two Hall of Famers butting heads.’’

Ryan had the tale of the tape memorized.

Belichick, he said, was a Hall of Famer at Wesleyan University. Now, Ryan is a Hall of Famer at Southwestern Oklahoma State. Belichick played center and linebacker; Ryan was a defensive end (“I think I could have held my own with him,’’ Ryan said).

He gave Belichick the edge in one category.

“I think he was a lacrosse player,’’ Ryan said. “I have no idea what I’m doing in lacrosse. I do like the idea, though, of hitting people with a stick.’’

Belichick’s three Super Bowl rings as a head coach put him in rarefied air, but since Ryan took over the Jets in 2009, the teams have split four regular-season matchups, and the Jets bounced the Patriots from the playoffs last season.

“Part of it is your coaching staff vs. their coaching staff,’’ Ryan said. “He’s the best coach in football. If it comes down to us, he’s going to win it. I don’t have a problem saying that. I’m not in that class.

“But I’m going to compete. I’m going to give him everything I have, and that’s what we’re doing as a staff as well.’’

Critical comments Quarterback Mark Sanchez was sacked twice and hit 10 times in the Jets’ 34-17 loss to the Ravens last Sunday night, after which wide receiver Santonio Holmes was somewhat critical of the effort to protect the quarterback, but also of Sanchez’s need to get the ball out of his hands faster

“It starts up front with our big guys, they need to do a better job protecting Mark, and Mark has to do a better job making his reads and getting the ball to playmakers,’’ Holmes said.

Sanchez was asked yesterday about Holmes’s comments, and said that typically those criticisms stay inside the locker room.

“Our player policy is to kind of keep things in-house, so that kind of stuff won’t happen, moving forward that won’t happen,’’ Sanchez said. “We’ve talked about it, and those individual improvements and stuff that happens on a personal level.’’

Holmes, who spoke to the media yesterday after Sanchez, didn’t back off his comments, but said they were intended to be constructive.

“If anybody feels bad about that, then I’m sorry,’’ Holmes said. “But as a captain, that’s my job, to point it out amongst ourselves.’’

No backing down After the Jets absorbed a 45-3 beating from the Patriots in Week 13 last season, cornerback Antonio Cromartie had some choice words for Tom Brady, whom he claimed taunted the Jets sideline with finger pointing.

“I’m not going to change how I feel about Tom Brady and what I said last year,’’ Cromartie said yesterday. “Do I respect him? Yes. He’s a guy that has three Super Bowl rings, but other than that, when we’re on the football field, I don’t really give a damn.’’

At the time, Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis said he never noticed the taunting, but now says he has seen film.

“I don’t know, if that’s the case, that’s how he felt at the time,’’ Revis said. “Cro feels that he’s an [expletive]. Everybody’s entitled to their own opinion how they feel about people.’’

Coming back to Gillette Stadium in January and knocking the Patriots out of the playoffs made it easier to forget.

“It was exciting to beat them, especially at their place,’’ Revis said. “It silenced a lot of critics, their fans.’’

Mangold tests ankle Jets center Nick Mangold, sidelined the last two weeks with a high right ankle sprain, tested the injury yesterday. “I’m much better today than I was yesterday, and yesterday was much better than the day before,’’ Mangold said. “It just keeps getting better.’’ Mangold’s absence has been a big one. Not coincidentally, the Jets have allowed 11 sacks this season. “We’ve said it before, he’s the best center in football,’’ Ryan said.

Burress examined Wide receiver Plaxico Burress had his left elbow looked at by team doctors after it swelled up overnight. “He woke up this morning, his elbow was huge,’’ Ryan said. “He said in a game he fell on it and that was it, but last night, around 3 o’clock in the morning he was like, ‘Oh, what’s going on?’ He feels fine now, but obviously you worry about infection and everything else.’’ . . . In addition to Burress, wide receiver Logan Payne (wrist) and linebackers Garrett McIntyre (concussion) and Calvin Pace (abdomen) missed practice.

Julian Benbow can be reached at jbenbow@globe.com

This is actually kind of awesome.

Rex Ryan & NY Jets look to put elements of playoff win over Patriots to use against Tom Brady Sunday

BY Manish Mehta

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

The perfect plan flustered, frustrated and flummoxed the best quarterback in the sport last January. When Rex Ryan and defensive coordinator Mike Pettine were through with Tom Brady in the Jets' divisional playoff win over the Patriots, the NFL MVP looked lost.

Brady, typically the sketch of cool, was confused by the Jets' simulated pressure and disguised coverages. He was spooked by imaginary pass rushers. He didn't notice open receivers. He wasn't himself.

"He began to see ghosts," ESPN analyst Ron Jaworski said at the time.

What will the Jets do for an encore on Sunday against their AFC East nemesis?

Ryan and Pettine will certainly pluck elements of a scheme that worked so well last time, but there will be marked changes. In January, the Jets played an effective mix of man and zone coverages that included flooding the middle of the field, a safe haven for Patriots receivers and tight ends for much of last season.

The Jets forced the action by lining pass rushers Shaun Ellis and Jason Taylor wider than usual to help funnel Brady's sight lines to the packed middle of the field. Gang Green consistently dropped seven men into coverage to help create the logjam.

The result: Brady wasn't Brady.

"Everybody's human," said All-Pro cornerback Darrelle Revis. "We study well, critiquing Tom's strengths and weaknesses. I think that's the best thing we do. We tried to rattle him in the playoff game and we did. We got him uncomfortable back there. That's what people say about Tom - try to rattle him and get him moving in the pocket a little bit."

The Jets will have to alter their strategy this time or Brady, who admitted this summer that he'll "never get over that loss" in January, will likely pick them apart.

"You can't just give Brady the same coverage over and over," Ryan said. "If he knows what coverage you're in, knows what front, knows what pressure, then he's going to carve you up. The chance you have is if there is some confusion there. You don't present an obvious picture to him. If you're just going to line up - I don't care how good your defense is - and run certain pressures, he's going to light you up."

Gang Green will have to contend with tight end Rob Gronkowski, who has 18catches for 296 yards and five touchdowns. Aaron Hernandez, the other half of the Patriots' 1-2 tight end punch, has missed the past two games with a knee injury, but may return Sunday.

"Any time you can threaten the middle of the field with tight ends like that, it obviously makes it very difficult," Jets safety Jim Leonhard said. "There's so much space in there. When you got two big guys ... it creates issues. You have to take care of those guys. That's the main way they're getting vertical."

The biggest threat, however, will be Wes Welker, who leads the league in receiving yards (616) and receptions (40). Typically a master at underneath routes, Welker has expanded his repertoire with more vertical ones this season. His 15.4 yards-per-catch average is 43% higher than his career mark (10.8) entering this season. Ryan attributed the boost to opponents trying different coverages to slow down New England's top-ranked passing attack that averages 385yards per game. For example, Ryan believed that the Raiders' Cover 2 scheme last week invited Welker to run more corner routes from the inside slot.

In the playoffs last season, nickel corner Drew Coleman covered Welker the majority of the time when the Jets played man coverage. Although Ryan didn't reveal his plan for Sunday, it's likely that Revis will get his cracks at Welker. http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/06/2011-10-06_ryan_wont_stand_pat_in_fixing_master_plan.html#ixzz1a10JCnQY

Jets Asking DE Jarron Gilbert to Try Out at TE for the Team

October 6th, 2011 Matt Loede Posted in News

After losing Jeff Cumberland for the season to a torn Achilles, the Jets have approached practice squad defensive end Jarron Gilbert about working at tight end, Jenny Vrentas of The Star-Ledger reports.

A third-round pick (68th overall) out of San Jose State by the Chicago Bears in 2009, Gilbert has two tackles in five career games with the Bears (2009) and Jets (2010). Gilbert has spent much of the last two seasons on the Jets’ practice squad, but a move to tight end could expedite a promotion to the 53-man roster.

“Hopefully. That’s what I’m hoping for,” Gilbert said according to Vrentas, who notes that Gilbert was recruited as a tight end coming out of high school.

Former Chargers and Bears tight end Brandon Manumaleuna worked out on Tuesday for the Jets, who also visited with former Chiefs tight end Brad Cottam. Neither player was signed.

Jets’ Antonio Cromartie: Tom Brady Still A You-Know-What

October 6, 2011 11:44 AM

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – He’s a sure-fire Hall of Famer. A Super Bowl champion. A thorn in the side of the Jets organization.

But for Antonio Cromartie, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady is still an expletive.

The Jets’ outspoken cornerback didn’t back off his comments from last season’s playoffs when he told the New York Daily News that Brady was an “a——.”

“—- him,” Cromartie seethed in January.

“Nah, I don’t have anything to add,” he said when asked about the remarks on Wednesday. “My feelings are still the same. Nothing is going to change. Whatever I said last year.”

The Jets went on to oust Brady, Bill Belichick, Wes Welker and the rest of the gang from the playoffs. This year, Brady is on fire and New York is struggling at 2-2.

Cromartie knows he’ll be the target of boos — and of the Patriots’ passing game when the teams face off at New England.

“I hope I’m a target this game. I want to be a target every game,” he said. “I hope I get booed again. I really don’t care. They’re not my fans. My fans are here in New York.”

Cromartie said he respects what Brady has accomplished on the field, but he’s not about to back down.

“I’ll never change how I feel about Tom Brady and what I said last year,” said Cromartie. “Do I respect him? Yes. He has three football rings. But other than that, when we’re on the football field, I don’t really give a damn.”

As for the Jets’ game plan against the Patriots’ offense?

“To beat the hell out of their receivers,” he said.

Meanwhile, in New England, Brady cut his weekly press conference short Wednesday. The quarterback was apparently miffed by the barrage of Cromartie questions, according to the Boston Globe.

“I don’t really care what he says,” Brady said before walking off after only five minutes.

Jets Asking DE Jarron Gilbert to Try Out at TE for the Team

October 6th, 2011 Matt Loede Posted in News

After losing Jeff Cumberland for the season to a torn Achilles, the Jets have approached practice squad defensive end Jarron Gilbert about working at tight end, Jenny Vrentas of The Star-Ledger reports.

A third-round pick (68th overall) out of San Jose State by the Chicago Bears in 2009, Gilbert has two tackles in five career games with the Bears (2009) and Jets (2010). Gilbert has spent much of the last two seasons on the Jets’ practice squad, but a move to tight end could expedite a promotion to the 53-man roster.

“Hopefully. That’s what I’m hoping for,” Gilbert said according to Vrentas, who notes that Gilbert was recruited as a tight end coming out of high school.

Former Chargers and Bears tight end Brandon Manumaleuna worked out on Tuesday for the Jets, who also visited with former Chiefs tight end Brad Cottam. Neither player was signed.

That is an interesting move! I know its a longshot but it may end up providing the JETS with the best solution to getting a blocking TE.

The Rundown: Pray For MoJo?

by Bassett on October 6th, 2011 at 9:34 am

One of the adages that Mike Tannenbaum seems to always live by is that he’s always looking for ways to make the team better. Even two years ago in the midst of the NFL season, he traded for what became a major piece of the team during the 2009 and 2010 seasons, Braylon Edwards.

So when NY Times columnist George Bretherton first suggested a quick fix at the cost of some future value, it seemed odd … then made more and more sense as I thought about it – but we’ll get there in a bit.

First, the important thing to remember is that the Jets still have space under the salary cap. The Jets are flush with space, (said with a Dennis Reynolds flourish) to the tune of eight-ah-point-ah-six million dollars flush.

So what are they gonna do with that money?

Bart Hubbuch of the NY Post has intoned that the Jets have some money issues that are holding them back.

@TheBigLead Thanks. Been writing about Woody's curious $$ ways (and flamed for it) for a while. Check the date on this: http://t.co/DkOZ9Iih

October 4, 2011 4:05 pm via TweetDeckReplyRetweetFavorite

@NYPost_Hubbuch

Bart Hubbuch

So if the Jets are being held back by money so much, how come their spending in 2010 was one of the highest in the league to secure players like Revis, Brick and Nick?

The Jets have space, and I don’t think that they’re so desperate for room that they can’t sign more guys to get closer to the cap. I think they’re trying to hold the money in reserve to the end of the season (or even offseason) to then accelerate monies in contracts to give them more space to go buck wild in free agency in 2012. Look at their list of unrestriced free agents for 2012, via NYJetsCap.com, it’s not going to put a huge dent in their space.

Bryan Thomas

Sione Pouha

Jim Leonhard

LaDainian Tomlinson

Robert Turner

Kevin O’Connell

Mark Brunell

Plaxico Burress

Nick Folk

Brodney Pool

Donald Strickland

Even though it’s a decent sized list, the cost of keeping those players in New York won’t break the bank. Couple that with a full complement of draft picks, on paper, the 2012 team should be pretty stacked.

So what was all that about getting better in season? George Bretherton posits that the Jets should consider pursuing Maurice Jones-Drew – they already cut Garard this year.

If the Jaguars were to lose this Sunday to Cincinnati, they would be 1-4 with a game at Pittsburgh the following Sunday. Would another cost-cutting move be out of the question? Would they dare part with the popular Jones-Drew?

If Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum is going to earn his money this season, he needs to continue to monitor every situation around the league. And not just at running back. The Jets reportedly have some room to maneuver under the salary cap.

Jones-Drew, who finished the game against the Saints with 84 yards on 11 carries, is in the third year of a five-year, $30.95 million contract. He is due to make $4.05 million this season.

Jets fans may only be able to dream of a backfield of M.J.D., L.T. and Shonn Greene — instantly one of the N.F.L.’s best.

But the least Tannenbaum can do is make a phone call.

It’s an interesting premise, and to be clear, no where does Bretherton say that this is something Tannenbaum has done, he thinks it’s something the team SHOULD do. I wouldn’t be averse to adding a real running threat to the team who’s at a market inefficiency right now because his team is terrible, but he’s one of the few stars that the game has anymore at the running back position, and he’s also not going to be more than a two or three year answer for the Jets.

I also wonder what the Jets have in store for that cap space and how adding a player like Jones would affect the team’s plans for future years. The way this season has gone so far, I don’t get the sense that this team is going back to the AFC Championship game if they keep playing like they have so far this year without some real help – be it from the current team’s place or from outside …

So … pray for MoJo?

"Chad Henne's season-ending shoulder surgery is expected to take place in next week or so."

Bad news for Chad Henne, who is in the final year of his rookie contract. This also makes it more likely that the Dolphins end up with Luck, as both David Garrard and Jake Delhomme have refused to sign with the Phins. Good (at least short-term) news for the Jets, who play the Dolphins at home after the Patriots this week.

Update: The Dolphins are planning on signing QB Sage Rosenfels. Yikes.

Per Adam Schefter, via Twitter

Burress, Pace return to practice

October, 6, 2011

Oct 6

1:00

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

No surprise here: WR Plaxico Burress (elbow) and OLB Calvin Pace (abdomen) returned to practice Thursday after sitting out a day.

C Nick Mangold (ankle) also participated in the early portion of practice for a second straight day, another step toward him returning to the lineup Sunday against the Patriots.

Burress banged his elbow Sunday night against the Ravens and it blew up 48 hours later, he said, requiring it to be drained. But on Wednesday, he said it wasn't a big deal and that he'd practice Thursday.

The official practice report won't be released until later, and that's when we'll know the exact extent of the participation. But right now, the Jets seem relatively healthy as they prepare for Sunday's first divisional game. That doesn't include OLB Bryan Thomas (Achilles' tendon), who is done for the season. The Jets still haven't announce how they plan to fill his roster spot.

Burress, Pace return to Jets practice

| More Print

1:10 PM, October 6, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets starters Plaxico Burress and Calvin Pace returned to practice Thursday.

Both players missed Wednesday's practice due to injury. Burress, a wide receiver, had a swollen elbow. Pace, an outside linebacker, had an abdomen injury. They still may be limited in practice, but they went through positional drills during the portion of practice open to the media.

Jets center Nick Mangold also was practicing for the second straight day. Mangold has missed the team's last two games with a high right ankle sprain.

The Jets face the division rival Patriots Sunday in Foxborough, Mass.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/burress_pace_return_to_jets_practice_4NXp8W5QDKfSP4Ye9V0pAP#ixzz1a1kaKhzt

That is an interesting move! I know its a longshot but it may end up providing the JETS with the best solution to getting a blocking TE.

Read in another article that they have been playing with this since camp, and he's shown a skill at it. No harm in trying

A. Sherrod Blakely

By A. Sherrod Blakely

CSNNE.com Celtics Insider

FOXBORO — After a humbling 34-17 beatdown at the hands of the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday, the usually boisterous New York Jets coach Rex Ryan proclaimed that changes would be made heading into Sunday's game against the New England Patriots.

The Jets would return to their ground-and-pound, rushing attack ways.

Regardless of the loss suffered by the Jets, New England defensive tackle Vince Wilfork wouldn't expect the Jets to play the Pats any other way.

"One thing we're not doing is looking at the games and saying, 'They're gonna do this. They're gonna do that.' We know the Jets better than that," Wilfork said. "They're going to come out and try and establish the running game."

Against the Patriots, can you blame them?

New England is giving up a league-high 477.5 yards per game.

And the Pats run defense, ranked 18th in the NFL, is giving up 108.8 yards this season.

But the Jets surprisingly have been among the NFL's worst rushing teams this season.

Their 71 yards rushing per game ranks 30th (out of 32 teams) this season, a far cry from Rex Ryan's first two Jets teams which ranked first and fourth in the NFL in rushing in 2009 and 2010, respectively.

That's what makes Sunday's game so intriguing for both teams.

New York is trying to get its ground attack off and running, while the Patriots are still trying to figure out how to become an effective team defensively.

"Inconsistency at times, has cost us," Wilfork said. "A handful of plays in each game really cost this defense from being a pretty good defense. We understand that. We have to keep striving for it, keep moving forward and keep getting better."

And like success, struggles can't be pinned on one player or unit.

The defensive line and linebackers aren't getting nearly enough pressure on quarterbacks, which makes the job of the defensive backs a lot tougher.

And when the pressure is there, the defensive backs aren't doing their part to make plays.

"They do what they do," Ryan said of the Patriots defense. "They force take-aways. They never ranked way up there (defensively); it's not like they're one or two in the league in defense. They're effective. They make you make mistakes. They do a great job playing the run, and they don't have the ball shot over their heads."

Under Bill Belichick, the Patriots defense has finished among the NFL's top-10 five times (2003, 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008), but no higher than fourth which came in 2007 when the Pats went undefeated in the regular season before losing in Super Bowl XLII to the New York Giants.

"We still have work to do," Wilfork said. "We've done things well; we've done some things not so well. What we've done well, we have to continue to get better. The things that we have to get better at, we have to do a good job of going out and correcting them."

That mentality should serve the Patriots well this week against a Jets team that hasn't played up to their Super Bowl-or-bust mentality.

"We'll get their best shot," Wilfork said. "The same guys over there, the same guys that played us last year. The same guys that beat us three of the five times we played them. This (Jets) team is definitely a good football team. Let's not get that wrong."

A. Sherrod Blakely can be reached at sblakely@comcastsportsnet.com. Follow Sherrod on Twitter at http://twitter.com/sherrodbcsn

"Chad Henne's season-ending shoulder surgery is expected to take place in next week or so."

Bad news for Chad Henne, who is in the final year of his rookie contract. This also makes it more likely that the Dolphins end up with Luck, as both David Garrard and Jake Delhomme have refused to sign with the Phins. Good (at least short-term) news for the Jets, who play the Dolphins at home after the Patriots this week.

Update: The Dolphins are planning on signing QB Sage Rosenfels. Yikes.

Per Adam Schefter, via Twitter

This still makes me laugh my a$$ off every time I read it. I mean, that's a whole new level of pathetic. NFL players who are out of work in week 5 of the season and have no indication they'll be signing anywhere else anytime soon still want nothing to do with you. Yikes.

Henne's contract is up at the end of the season. Might not be a bad idea for a back up

I doubt the Jets would go that route. I think if Sanchez struggles throughout this year there's a good chance the Jets go with a mid/late round pick on a QB prospect. Go late enough that they can justify it as a backup option and not an obvious replacement for Sanchez, but still grab a prospect they like to start developing as a possible future starter. As it is the Jets have brought in a new young QB prospect just about every year since Tanny's been here (Clemens, Ainge, Ratliff, O'Connell, Sanchez, McElroy), so it's not like it would be that shocking. Not to mention they'll have McElroy back next year, who had himself a very nice preseason and will have an entire year of learning the ropes combined with a full offseason to prepare. I can't see them signing another mediocre QB option unless it's another older veteran type to replace Brunell, but perhaps not quite as old and a more realistically feasible player to come in if needed.

I doubt the Jets would go that route. I think if Sanchez struggles throughout this year there's a good chance the Jets go with a mid/late round pick on a QB prospect. Go late enough that they can justify it as a backup option and not an obvious replacement for Sanchez, but still grab a prospect they like to start developing as a possible future starter. As it is the Jets have brought in a new young QB prospect just about every year since Tanny's been here (Clemens, Ainge, Ratliff, O'Connell, Sanchez, McElroy), so it's not like it would be that shocking. Not to mention they'll have McElroy back next year, who had himself a very nice preseason and will have an entire year of learning the ropes combined with a full offseason to prepare. I can't see them signing another mediocre QB option unless it's another older veteran type to replace Brunell, but perhaps not quite as old and a more realistically feasible player to come in if needed.

Your probably right. I am actually probably alone on the board in my opinion of Henne. I think he has the potential to be a good QB. Think he has been handled very badly in Miami. Might not be a bad idea as a back up if Mark doesn't work out,( which I think he will) or gets injured.

By the way I agree with you on McElroy. Thought he had a very nice camp. Made things happen when there wasn't much there.

Carroll supports Sanchez

by Weeks on October 6th, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I don’t see it the same way, that he has struggled. I say they have played some teams that have made hard nights for him. The other night was a ridiculously challenging defense that they went up against. I thought he was battling like crazy and I know he wants to be cleaner in the numbers and they start to add up a bit, but just like he has in the past, he will bounce back and be the guy everybody is counting on. He will work with his team very well.

It is most visible in his first season, when he went through about two or three lives of living that thing out. They did a great job of helping him and staying with him, and their coaching staff was totally behind him and that is so important when things are tough. I think they have been very consistent, and that is only going to help Mark become consistent and hang in there and fight his way through it and going the way they want it to. — Pete Carroll on the Sanchez bashers.

Good Grief. I actually agree with Pete Carroll

Archived