Jets News 11-3

flgreen

Holmes says he’s not unhappy

Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2011, 8:24 PM EDT

holmesreuters.jpg?w=250 Reuters

Last week, we reported that Jets receiver Santonio Holmes isn’t happy with his role in the offense. On Wednesday, he met with the media for the first time since then, and he was asked about the report.

“Never heard that one. Next question,” Holmes said, per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “I didn’t talk to anybody about it. Never heard about it.”

Right.

Asked directly whether he’s happy with his role, Holmes said, “We’re here winning ball games right now.” (That’s nice, but that wasn’t the question.)

In seven games, Holmes has only 22 catches for 311 yards and three touchdowns. That puts him on pace for 50 receptions for 710 yards and seven touchdowns for the full season, and that would roughly match Holmes’ output from all of last year.

But last year he played in only 12 games.

Though Holmes called his numbers a “pretty good ratio,” he was talking about the relationship between his catches and his touchdowns, which per Brian Costello of the New York Post Holmes erroneously identified as four. So while a ratio of one touchdown in every 5.5 catches would be “pretty good” (albeit as to Holmes not accurate), the issue isn’t how many touchdowns he has in relation to his receptions. The issue is that he’s not being targeted as much as he’d like, and the fact that he’s averaging barely three receptions per game confirms that.

Moreover, Holmes got himself into hot water last month by complaining publicly. So now he’s not complaining publicly.

But he’s been complaining privately. And if he hasn’t been, he’s not much of a competitor, is he?

Jets' Santonio Holmes brushes off questions about his role on offense

Published: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 9:42 PM Updated: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 9:53 PM

92.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

jets-santonio-holmesjpg-75d5767960d56d5a.jpgAndrew Mills/The Star-LedgerJets wide receiver Santonio Holmes throws a pass as he warms up before practice today in Florham Park.

260701700001_1255375129001_vs-1255362696001.jpg?pubId=260701700001

Santonio Holmes did not say he is unhappy — or, for that matter, happy — with his role in the Jets’ offense. When asked the question today, the Jets receiver instead deferred to the team’s two-game winning streak.

“We’re here winning ball games right now,” Holmes said, followed by a lengthy pause.

Through seven games this season, Holmes’ numbers are not staggering: He has 22 catches for 311 yards and three touchdowns. He has been targeted 41 times, according to NFL statistics, third on the team behind tight end Dustin Keller (46) and fellow receiver Plaxico Burress (45).

The Jets’ coaches say repeatedly their offense does not have a No. 1 receiver but rather features different players each week. Holmes, though, has No. 1 receiver talent and money — he signed a five-year, $50 million contract with the team in free agency — without the targets or catches to match.

“If you ask anybody in this league who the top receivers are, his name will always come up because that’s who he is,” coach Rex Ryan said. “He’s an explosive guy, and I’d love to see him catch a few more balls, there is no doubt.”

Both Ryan and quarterback Mark Sanchez seemed somewhat amused by the questions about Holmes’ role, because two weeks ago, they had been asked when Burress would become more involved in the offense. Against the San Diego Chargers, the 6-5 red-zone target caught three touchdowns.

But Sanchez and Burress, who had been working together for just weeks, needed time to sync up.

Holmes played 11 full regular-season games for the Jets last season — he served a four-game league suspension and sat out most of the meaningless Week 17 matchup against Buffalo — and buoyed the team to victories with late-game catches on several occasions.

Holmes’ 22 catches this year rank 85th in the league, fewer than half of Wes Welker (57), Calvin Johnson (47) and the Carolina Panthers' Steve Smith (46), who rank in the league’s top five. Those three No. 1 receivers have each been targeted between 71 and 80 times this season, according to ProFootballFocus, nearly doubling Holmes’ opportunities.

Holmes was targeted just three times in the Chargers game; his season-low number of targets is two, against the Oakland Raiders. He has not yet had a 100-yard receiving game this season and has broken 50 yards in just three of seven games. (Last season, he was targeted an average of 8.5 times per game, and had at least 50 yards six times.)

A report on ProFootballTalk.com during last week’s bye claimed Holmes was dissatisfied with his role. Holmes quickly brushed off a question about the report without denying it.

“Never heard that one. Next question,” he said. “I haven’t talked to anybody about it, never heard about it.”

Holmes proudly noted his touchdown-to-catch ratio — about one touchdown per every seven catches — which he said “fits well in my book right now.” A fourth touchdown, against San Diego, was called back due to a holding penalty on center Nick Mangold.

The sixth-year receiver did acknowledge he and Burress will “complain” at times about not getting the ball. But Holmes, who earlier this season met with coach Rex Ryan along with right guard Brandon Moore after public comments about teammates’ play, indicated these complaints are simply part of an open dialogue with his quarterback.

“He’s our general, he comes to us, he keeps us under control,” Holmes said. “We have to control him a little bit when he loses his cool, but he’s one of those guys who is always tapping us on the back, ‘I got you next time; I got you this time.’ ... We’ll complain a little bit about the ball, but as far as the things that he has to control right now, he has a lot on his plate and he is doing a real good job controlling that.”

Sanchez said he did not think “there’s anything to worry about” per Holmes’ role in the offense. He said opponents have made it tough on some occasions to get the ball to Holmes.

“They know No. 10 is the baller,” Sanchez said. “They want to keep him from getting the ball, they do their best to do that, and we do our best to get him the ball. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t. When it does, great, we probably win, and when it doesn’t, hopefully we’re still winning.”

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Jets LB Bart Scott said Bills' spread out offense could be defended differently than Patriots'

Published: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 6:16 PM Updated: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 8:30 PM

4.png By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

9406189-large.jpgJohn O'Boyle / The Star-LedgerJets LB Bart Scott said that the Bills spread offense can be attacked different than New England's because they don't have Tom Brady.

Both the Buffalo Bills and the New England Patriots possess the ability to stretch teams out wide and then hammer the middle of the field. Jets linebacker Bart Scott knows that well after the loss to New England in Week 5, but says the Bills can be attacked in a different way.

"One thing that's different between them is that (Buffalo) doesn't have Tom Brady," Scott said.

"(Ryan Fitzpatrick) is a good quarterback and he's playing well, but Tom is a totally different monster and we can play them a little different."

Scott sees no difference schematically or personnel-wise in the Bills' offense from last year. The difference seems to all be in a self-confidence that was absent last season.

"This is the same offense we played last year. The thing is, everything they did last year they're doing a lot better and they're very confident," Scott said. "They've always played hard and been scrappy but I think that they're playing with a tremendous amount of confidence and want to prove to people that they're for real."

Scott also said that Fred Jackson, who has more rushing yards than Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson combined, is simply validating what they've known for a long time.

"I've always thought he was a very good back and now he's showing the rest of the NFL that whenever you have success, wins and losses, I think he's validated now," Scott said. "We've been saying for years that he's very talented not only in the run game but in the screen game."

As for the Jets rush defense, currently ranked 25th in the NFL, Scott suggested looking past the numbers, using the game against New England as an example.

"The numbers don't always tell the story," he said. "We gave up rushing yards to BenJarvus Green-Ellis because that's what we chose to give up. You have to take something away, when you decide to play with a bunch of DBs you're inviting them to run because as long as Tom is handing the ball off he's not throwing it."

After a practice today where the Jets did more live hitting than usual, Darrelle Revis said it was helpful to keep the team in good tackling form.

Revis said that the defensive backs have been staying after practice to work on tackling as well.

"The first half of the season, the first couple weeks we were missing tackles. (Darren) McFadden went 70, and you know the secondary got blamed for not tackling," Revis said. "So the next thing you know, the last couple weeks we've been doing tackling drills with the dummy bags out there.

"And now in practice today the guys were tackling so it's good. Especially since it's getting cold, too. Guys are definitely harder to tackle when it gets November, December into January."

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Jets coach Rex Ryan says Joe McKnight will have 'more opportunities' vs. Bills

Published: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 5:19 PM Updated: Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 6:31 PM

4.png By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

10213788-large.jpgUS PresswireRex Ryan said he envisions a larger role for Joe McKnight this week against the Bills.

Last year against the Buffalo Bills, in a game where the Jets rested their starters amid a 38-7 beat-down, Joe McKnight broke out for 158 yards on 32 carries.

Now, in another game against Buffalo that has much more meaning, Jets coach Rex Ryan expects McKnight to again play a bigger role.

"Absolutely he'll get more opportunities this week," Ryan said.

"I think he's earned it and he's done a great job even as a receiver," Ryan added. "(Buffalo) is using (C.J.) Spiller a lot as a receiver too. You get an explosive athlete and you look for ways to use him and I can see us using him a little more this week."

When asked, McKnight said that no one had taken him aside and said things would be different. He didn't see much change in a brief run through the weekly playbook, which was handed out today.

"That’s what I heard," McKnight said. "But we got the playbook today, and I had my couple plays in, and it was like a balance of WR and RB, that’s the same role I’ve been doing the whole year."

McKnight didn't think having his marquee game against the Bills last year would have any carry-over effect this week.

"I wouldn’t say it plays to my advantage, because this is the same team, but they’ve got different players, new linebackers, a couple new cornerbacks, it’s a different defense than I went against last year," he said. "They probably saw the tape from last year but I’m not really focused on what they know about me, I just want to focus on going out there and doing my best."

Ryan stayed distant from NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock saying a member of the Jets organization was upset by the jam-packed scheduling of the Nov. 13 Sunday night game against the New England Patriots and then the Nov. 17 Thursday night game.

The Jets are the only team scheduled to play on "Thursday Night Football" that were scheduled to play the previous Sunday night.

"As long as you win nobody has a problem so hopefully we win the Sunday night game and hopefully we come back and win the Thursday night game and then it's a bonus, then it's a plus," Ryan said. "Last year we played Cincinnati on Thanksgiving, the Green Bean Casserole Game, and when you win it that's great. You sit back and say 'hey, we have a little more time.'"

Ryan said he never thought about it as a competitive disadvantage "because if I said something it would be like 'Ryan blasts the commissioner. So, I think I'll avoid that one."

DT Mike DeVito (knee) and DT Kenrick Ellis (ankle) did not practice.

LB David Harris (ankle) C Nick Mangold (ankle), DB Isaiah Trufant (hamstring) and OLB Calvin Pace (groin) were limited.

DL Marcus Dixon (knee) and DL Ropati Pitoitua practiced full.

Ryan said that he was hoping DeVito would go today and expects him to be a heavier participant in practice tomorrow barring any lingering soreness.

Conor Orr: corr@starledger.com

Jets Again Relying on Greene and Running Game

03jets-1-articleLarge.jpg

Barton Silverman/The New York Times

After a slow start, Shonn Greene has rushed for 269 yards in his past three games, including 112 against the San Diego Chargers last Sunday.

By DAVE CALDWELL

Published: November 2, 2011

fifthdown190.jpg

fifthdown75.jpg

The latest news, notes and analysis of the N.F.L. playoffs.

After Coach Rex Ryan handed him the role as the feature back in an offense that was supposed to plaster opponents, Greene looked like a dud. Through four games of the season, he had 157 yards rushing and was averaging a puny 3.1 yards per carry.

“I wouldn’t say I was disappointed, but I was kind of frustrated that we didn’t get the start we wanted,” Greene said Wednesday after practice. “But you just got to keep going, keep working at it.”

Greene smiled, in part because Ryan has re-emphasized the running game, and Greene has excelled, picking up 269 yards in his last three games — and a much more impressive average of 4.3-yards per carry. He had 112 yards in a 27-21 victory Oct. 23 over San Diego.

Greene says he has changed absolutely nothing. His teammates say he keeps quiet in the huddle, even after he has just trampled someone, and he says his favorite moment of any game is probably glancing across the line of scrimmage and looking at a battered opponent.

“You can see it in your opponents’ eyes, that they don’t want to play any more,” Greene said, smiling again. “Especially the last game we played, I think we did a good job just pounding San Diego’s defense, just pounding and pounding them. I think that’s what we’re built for, just to be tough and physical.”

The Jets (4-3) play the somewhat surprising Buffalo Bills (5-2) on Sunday in Orchard Park, N.Y., and Ryan was hardly evasive about how his team would go after the Bills, who have intercepted 14 passes and recovered four fumbles.

The Jets will probably run the ball a lot the rest of the season. Ryan is no longer out to feature his veteran wide receivers, Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress, who have 40 catches and 8 touchdowns between them.

When asked why he thought his team was better at running the ball in the last three weeks, Ryan said: “Getting back to more two-backs, two-tight-end stuff, different things we’ve always done in the past. I think that’s really who we are. Again, I think I was kind of set up, enamored with, with those three wides. We looked at it and said that might suit our personnel, but what’s really best for the Jets is the ability to run the football, maybe play more regular personnel.”

Greene said he essentially had been the beneficiary of the Jets’ renewed effort to run the ball. Wayne Hunter, the right tackle, said the Jets, maybe because they are running the ball more, are executing blocks better and sustaining them down the field.

They may do more. Ryan said Wednesday that the second-year running back Joe McKnight, who amassed 158 of his 215 career rushing yards in an otherwise meaningless 38-7 victory Jan. 2 over Buffalo, would get more carries against the Bills.

“It’s always a great confidence booster when you’re told that things are going to ride with you,” said Nick Mangold, the Jets’ center. “At the same time, we up front don’t care if we’re running the ball or throwing the ball. It’s if we’re winning. But it is good to have that confidence coming from the head man.”

Matt Slauson, the left guard, said: “It’s kind of put the responsibility on the offensive line. That makes us feel good. We’re carrying the team on our backs. Running the ball effectively collectively breaks the other team’s will.”

Meanwhile, Mark Sanchez’s confidence does not appear to be cracked. He has posted two of his top three passer-efficiency ratings in the last three games. Although Sanchez threw for only 183 yards, the Jets had 25 first downs against the Chargers.

“I think it’s more of a mentality than anything — than a stat where we’ve run it X amount of times,” Sanchez said. “I don’t think it matters. If we’re efficient on first down, we’re getting completions or getting 3-yard-plus runs, we’ll be fine.”

Everyone, at least publicly, seems to have bought in to that philosophy, including Holmes, who has only 22 receptions. He became edgy when he was asked repeatedly about how much he has been thrown the ball, finally ending a group interview with, “We’re here winning ballgames.”

Winning seems to be what really matters to Greene, too. But as he dressed after practice Wednesday, he said that he had also enjoyed the way the Jets won their last two games. Like Slauson, he endorsed the idea of breaking the other team’s will.

“That means just playing Jet football,” Greene said. “Being physical, running right at the opponent’s mouth. Just run it down their throats, keep pounding it. We want to get 3 yards here, 2 yards there, but as you keep pounding and pounding, the big ones are going to break.”

1948563.jpg?1320314533

'Mayhem' Returns; Maybin Faces Bills For 1st Time

Joe Buscaglia Reporting

JoeB@wgr550.com

Orchard Park, NY -- One of the most maligned draft picks in the history of the Buffalo Bills organization, 2009 first round pick Aaron Maybin spent two seasons and a couple of weeks of training camp in the third before the team that drafted him said enough was enough.

Maybin, the 11th overall pick in his draft class, barely got on the field. Even when he did, the former Penn State Nittany Lion wasn't the impact performer the Bills and the team's fans had hoped he would be.

Just a couple of weeks removed from the end of the NFL Lockout, Buffalo parted ways with Maybin, almost assuredly admitting defeat of the situation as he was viewed a wasted draft pick.

Maybin had been averaging around a mere five snaps per game in his time with the Bills, an amount of playing time that couldn't really breed the success some would hope for out of a first round pick.

"What I do have to say for that is -- for whatever reason that was, there was fault on both ends," he said. "There was something obviously that I didn't do while I was there to give the coaching staff that confidence in me to go out and have more than five snaps a game."

Then, something happened that no Bills fan wanted to see.

The most notorious defensive-minded head coach in the NFL, Rex Ryan, saw something in Maybin and brought him in for a look. Fans feared the Bills, not the New York Jets, were the ones that had made the mistake.

The former first round pick didn't make the Jets roster out of training camp, and instead had to wait until an injury to Bryan Thomas forced the team in to needing some help getting after the passer. Since he's been put in his new role, Maybin has been flourishing.

Somehow, in 27 games, Maybin was unable to get a sack with the Bills. This season, however, the linebacker has three sacks in only four games -- with three forced fumbles to go along with it.

The Bills are taking notice of the spark Maybin has provided since joining the Jets four games ago.

"He's hustling. He's made a few plays for 'em. He's the energizer bunny out there, he keeps going and going and going. He plays hard," said Bills head coach Chan Gailey. "Maybe the change of scenery was good for him. I don't know."

From a production standpoint, the change of scenery for the shape-shifting Maybin was a great thing.

Now, staring at a date where he returns to the city that drafted him just two years prior, even he can't fathom the enormity of the situation.

"I could sit here and try to assume what that's going to be like," Maybin said. "But really, I don't think I even have any idea. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be an emotional time for me though."

One man that has been linked with Maybin since the day they were drafted has been current Bills center Eric Wood. They were both drafted by the Bills in the first round in 2009, and both were introduced to the Buffalo media on the same afternoon.

In fact, as you may recall, Wood and Maybin had a bit of an altercation during training camp in 2010 at St. John Fisher College. On a harmless run play with limited contact, Maybin busted over and side-swiped Fred Jackson off his feet and on to the ground.

Wood, and then teammate Geoff Hangartner, took exception and went after Maybin, exchanging some heated words along the way.

Wood does not want to let a Maybin sack against the Bills happen this weekend, saying he'll be extremely angry if it happens.

"Absolutely. If I was the one to give it up, I'd be even more ticked," the center said. "If we were to see him do some kind of sack celebration or something, it would probably hit home pretty good this week."

That quote had been brought up to Maybin during his conference call with the Buffalo media. He didn't offer up any big response to Wood's quote.

"Honestly, I don't have anything to say about that," he said. "I'm glad he feels that way I guess. [Laughs]"

But even so, the Jets are more than just Maybin, and that's how quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is treating the reunion as well.

"He's just another player over there. It's not like we're going to focus all our efforts on him because he played here," Fitzpatrick replied. "He's a guy that you never wish harm -- or you never wish bad for anybody. So it's good for him. But our focus is on winning and what we're going to do."

So why didn't it all pan out for Maybin and the Bills? That's the million dollar question. Technically speaking, it's the nine-million dollar question for how much the team owed him after cutting him in August. The former Bills outside linebacker didn't offer up any reasoning.

"It'd be hard for me to sit here and wonder why, and that's not even really a concern for me anymore. I stopped worrying about what went wrong in Buffalo a long time ago," Maybin asserted. "I've got nothing but friends left in that locker room, and as far as the rest of the organization goes: business is business."

The Jets are doing something right with the former first round flame-out. Heading in to the weekend, he's tied for the team lead in sacks with Calvin Pace, and has a third of their forced fumbles on the season.

Still, fans of the Bills resent him for a draft pick and money wasted on a player that didn't yield the production they had been hoping for. Maybin will almost definitely hear the boo-birds at his time in Ralph Wilson Stadium. Does he worry about the fan's reaction to him at Ralph Wilson Stadium?

"Not at all," Maybin said, and then let out a laugh. He then explained the reasoning behind the laughter, saying "Just because I'm focused on the game. All that fan reception and all that kind of stuff, that's extra. That has nothing to do with what goes on between the lines."

Maybin makes his highly-anticipated return to Buffalo on Sunday, when the 4-3 Jets take on the 5-2 Bills in an AFC East battle.

Twitter: @JoeB_WGR

All photos courtesy of AP

Jets notes: Holmes 'never heard about' report

Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Record

Print | E-mail

Holmes: What report?

MC_1103S4_Smith50p.jpg

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes was asked Wednesday about a recent Internet report that claimed he is unhappy with his role in the Jets’ offense. Holmes has 22 receptions and three touchdown catches through seven games, and has been targeted 41 times.

"Never heard that one. Next question," Holmes responded. "I didn’t talk to anybody about it. Never heard about it."

He then was asked if he is happy with his role.

"We’re here winning ballgames right now," Holmes said. "That’s pretty much all I can ask for at this point. Four touchdowns [actually three] on the season, I think. I think that’s a pretty good ratio.

Twenty-two catches, [three] touchdowns. It fits well in my book right now."

Holmes praised quarterback Mark Sanchez.

"He’s our general," Holmes said. "He keeps us under control. We have to control him a little bit when he loses his cool. He’s one of those guys that’s always [saying], ‘I got you next time.’… That’s a big key of being a young quarterback and knowing you have two veteran guys [Holmes and Plaxico Burress] who have been there, done that. We’ll complain a little bit about [not getting] the ball. But he has a lot on his plate and he’s doing a real good job of controlling it."

Briefs

DE Mike DeVito (knee) and backup NT Kenrick Ellis (ankle) didn’t practice Wednesday. Jets’ coach Rex Ryan said he is hoping both players can at least practice on a limited basis today. …

Seventh-round draft pick Scotty McKnight, a wideout on the practice squad, has been placed on injured reserve with a knee injury. "The young man really is working hard and I thought was really improving," Ryan said. "It’s just unfortunate."

— J.P. Pelzman

Smith could be the ex factor when Jets battle Bills

Thursday, November 3, 2011

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

FLORHAM PARK – For Brad Smith, the end of the lockout almost resembled one of his three game-changing kickoff-return touchdowns for the Jets in 2009 and ’10.

In the blink of an eye, he was long gone.

"Everything happened so fast when the lockout ended," the former Jet said Wednesday on a conference call, "and next thing you know I was on a plane to Rochester [where Buffalo held training camp] and I’m sitting in a team meeting and I know no one. It was unbelievable. It didn’t feel real."

Smith had left the only NFL organization he had ever known for one of its division rivals, signing a four-year, $15 million free agent deal with the Bills on July 28 when it became apparent he wasn’t a priority to the Jets, who will visit Buffalo on Sunday.

"That’s just the way it happened," said Smith, who doesn’t seem to harbor any bitterness toward his former team. "It was a place that I liked playing, [and I liked] the organization [and] the people. I was very comfortable there."

At the time, the Jets were obsessed with their ultimately fruitless pursuit of free agent cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, and had put everything else on hold until that was resolved. So when Buffalo made its offer, Smith didn’t think too long before accepting it.

Smith hasn’t yet made a huge impact on the Bills, however. Used mainly as a wildcat quarterback, he has rushed for 84 yards and one touchdown on 19 carries, and has five receptions for 43 yards. Buffalo coach Chan Gailey indicated that the compressed time of the post-lockout summer made it difficult to install a lot of packages for Smith.

"We didn’t get an off-season to implement him," Gailey said, "and to implement the things that I think he’ll be able to do long-term for us. If we would have had that time to get to know him better and see what he can do and can’t do, I think we would have had a better idea on how to use the tools he has. But he’s been a big asset. He’s done a lot of good things that don’t come out in statistics."

Certainly the Jets have missed his presence in the wildcat, which has become almost nonexistent without him. Coach Rex Ryan called him "the best wildcat quarterback in the league," adding, "we definitely wanted Brad back. Unfortunately, we were unable to sign him."

They haven’t missed him as much on kickoff returns. Second-year pro Joe McKnight had a 107-yard touchdown at Baltimore and is averaging 40 yards per return. Smith has only five returns for an average of 20.6 yards. The Bills are far more conservative about taking kickoffs out from deep in the end zone than the Jets.

"It’s tough," Smith admitted, "knowing we can make plays, but at the same time it’s more about the team. There are times when you can take a chance and hit a couple, but at the same time, if you get tackled at the 10- or 15-yard-line that hurts the team. So we have to be smart back there."

As for playing his old team, Smith said: "It’s going to be crazy. It’s kind of a surreal experience just knowing those guys and playing with just about all of them. I expect to hear from Bart [scott] and Eric Smith. It should be fun."

"It will be weird," nose tackle Sione Pouha said, noting the Jets’ defense would face Smith in practice when he was simulating Miami’s wildcat offense in previous years.

"Now it’s live," Pouha added with a smile. "It’ll be weird to see him out there but at the end of the day we’re going to do the best we can to make sure we’re ready for them."

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Jets must ‘Ground & Pound’ way to victory

Jets Blog

Last Updated: 8:49 AM, November 3, 2011

Posted: 2:59 AM, November 3, 2011

More icon_print.gif Print

mike_vaccaro.pngMike Vaccaro

Follow Mike on Twitter

Ground and Pound is schtick. It’s a slogan. It’s manna for headline writers and columnists. It’s wonderful for fans who draw on banners and call into radio stations, perfect for a coach like Rex Ryan who believes in the brevity of message every bit as strongly as an English professor.

But that’s all it is. “Ground and Pound,” taken together, capitalizing the G, capitalizing the P, is a jingle, a catchphrase, a mantra, and completely useless on Sunday afternoons in the NFL.

Taken apart? Broken down as angry verbs?

They explain how the Jets can return a trace of normalcy to the AFC East race this Sunday. They offer a blueprint for beating the Buffalo Bills, even in Ralph Wilson Stadium, even on a day when the Bills will be wearing all-white and honoring the star-crossed Scott Norwood.

03.1s069.Vaccaro1c--300x300.jpg

Joseph E. Amaturo

GREENE ACRES: Mike Vaccaro says the Jets must deploy their Ground & Pound attack with Shonn Greene (above) and LaDainian Tomlinson in order to beat the much-improved Bills in Buffalo on Sunday.

“It’s more a mindset than anything else,” Mark Sanchez said of Ground and Pound.

“It’s the way we’ve been successful against that team in the past, and the way we will have to play to be successful on Sunday,” Sanchez said of grounding and pounding, of grinding and driving and slashing and taking four- and five- and six-yard bites out of the Buffalo defense.

The four times these teams have met in Ryan’s time as head coach, the Jets have looked like a combination of the Csonka/Kiick/Morris Dolphins and any of Woody Hayes’ five most ground-hugging teams at Ohio State.

Working backwards from last year’s season finale, the Jets have gained 276, 273, 249 and 318 yards in those four games. That’s an average of 279 yards a game, or exactly 100 yards more than the leading rushing team in 2011, the Eagles, average per game. And to hammer the point home more: The only one of those four games the Jets lost was the first one, the 318-yard game, when Mark Sanchez sprinkled five interceptions (and punter Steve Weatherford another) in the mix.

OK. Now the Bills have been a lot better team this year than they were either of the past two seasons, and through seven weeks they’re allowing only a 120 yards a game. Still, that’s 20th in the NFL, which means they haven’t quite gone from a pasta sieve to a great wall in the space of a year.

And it’s always more than a little windy at The Ralph ...

“As an offensive line, we have no preference whether we throw the ball up and down the field or run the ball up and down the field, as long as we’re moving the ball up and down the field,” Jets center Nick Mangold said.

“But the fact is that we’ve had success moving the ball against this team in the past, and from a confidence standpoint, it’s a good thing to have in your mind when you’re figuring out how you can win the game.”

That’s where it’s helpful to rely on scheme and not schtick. If Ryan has a glaring fault as a head coach, it’s falling in love with things to quickly and too impetuously. He admitted yesterday that he started the year completely (and wrongly) enamored with the idea of three-wide sets, of slinging the ball around because it seemed his personnel dictated they at least try to play wide open.

But he has also, at times, grown too besotted with the notion of Ground and Pound, as opposed to the practice of grounding and pounding. It works easily into the vision he has for his team, and the cameras captured him shouting “Ground and Pound!” relentlessly after the playoff win in San Diego two years ago, and from that point it became a question of virility as much as victory. And that’s a mistake.

It was a mistake when he stubbornly employed it three weeks ago in New England, against a Patriots team that all but begs teams to throw against them every week (have a gander at what the Giants do there on Sunday). Keeping the ball in the air would have made the most sense that week.

Keeping it on the ground is what will deliver them this week. No slogans. No mantras. Tough, hard, slobberknocking football gets it done in the wilds of Buffalo. The Jets know they can succeed that way. No banners. No schtick. Just play.

michael.vaccaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/schtick_to_the_plan_wTLIdBCKOfznuOdikde7WJ#ixzz1ceCZLnfp

Jets have hard-hitting practice

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:01 AM, November 3, 2011

Posted: 2:45 AM, November 3, 2011

Looking to shake off some of the rust after a long bye week, coach Rex Ryan had the Jets hitting hard and often at yesterday’s practice -- a rarity during the season.

“That was a man’s day today,” Ryan said. “That was a real practice -- a lot of fundamental periods, just getting back into hitting and tackling. Really, when you look at it those two years, I want to make

sure we do a good job of tackling. I think that’s been a thing where sometimes when you come off the bye week that’s definitely an emphasis would be tackling.”

The Jets have lost the first game after the bye in both of Ryan's previous seasons.

During the period of practice open to the media, the Jets did a live kickoff drill with players crushing each other with blocks and wrapping up the return men.

Ryan gave the team six days off last week before returning for a light practice Monday. The players have talked about avoiding the letdown they’ve suffered the last two years.

“I think that’s part of the reason today’s practice was so amped up on both sides of the ball,” tight end Dustin Keller said. “Guys were just out there banging. We definitely don’t want a repeat of that. Rex has given us the maximum time off for our bye week, so we all want to come back fresh and we want to show it on Sunday that we have the fresh legs.”

The Bills announced that they will wear all-white uniforms at home Sunday for the first time in 25 years.

The team will also honor former kicker and Super Bowl XXV goat Scott Norwood at the game.

Ryan was asked about NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock saying people in the Jets organization are upset about being scheduled for a Thursday night game in Denver on Nov. 17, just four days after a Sunday night game with the Patriots.

“Never thought of it that way.” Ryan said. “If I said something then it’s, ‘Ryan blasts commissioner.’ I think I’ll avoid that one.”

Ryan said he envisions a larger role for RB Joe McKnight on Sunday. McKnight rushed for 158 yards last year in Buffalo ... DT Mike DeVito (knee) and DT Kenrick Ellis (ankle) did not practice.

Ryan said he hopes they can both practice today. OLB Calvin Pace (groin), C Nick Mangold (ankle), ILB David Harris (ankle) and CB Isaiah Trufant (hamstring) were limited.

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/real_practice_for_jets_WMSYS8T23ErfAJJdZ6vfhJ#ixzz1ceDr6Z6i

Bills' Smith set to face former Jets teammates

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:09 AM, November 3, 2011

Posted: 2:52 AM, November 3, 2011

In the end, the only wide receiver Nnamdi Asomugha ended up shutting down for the Jets was Brad Smith.

The longtime Jets utility man bolted for Buffalo during free agency after the Jets asked him to wait while they tried to sign Asomugha, who eventually jilted them for the Eagles. The Bills signed Smith to a four-year, $15 million deal, and now the Jets have to face their former jack-of-all-trades.

“We always said we’re glad Brad’s on our team,” said Jets safety Eric Smith, one of Brad’s closest friends on the team. “Now, going against him, we know he can run it, he can throw it. We have to be ready for everything.”

Smith has not had the impact in Buffalo he was expected to have. He has only 30 touches for the Bills. He has just five kickoff returns, averaging 20.6 per return. He has 19 rushes for 84 yards in the Wildcat. His one pass attempt was an interception. He also has five receptions for 43 yards.

Both Smith and Bills coach Chan Gailey said the team and player still are getting used to each other.

“I think it’s just coming from nowhere,” Smith said. “No background with each other, learning the entire offense at quarterback and at receiver. ... They were able to work me in a few times to get the Wildcat stuff in. It was never a big deal to me. It’s more about winning and both things don’t always show up.”

Gailey said they were hurt by the lockout and the lack of an offseason to figure things out. The Jets said they expect to get a heavy dose of their former teammate on Sunday. Smith, who spent five years with the Jets, knows the trash talk will be flying from the Jets defense.

“It’s going to be crazy,” Smith said. “It’s kind of a surreal experience just knowing those guys and playing with just about all of them. I expect to hear from Bart [scott] and Eric Smith. It should be fun.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/smith_set_to_face_ex_mates_AbhHnXsDdJdvbn9iYEJsLK#ixzz1ceEVxmvE

Jets' Holmes only happy to be winning

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 9:01 AM, November 3, 2011

Posted: 2:56 AM, November 3, 2011

If you’re happy and you know it ... duck the question?

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes did little to defuse the idea he is unhappy with his role in the team’s offense yesterday. After an internet report said Holmes is “thoroughly dissatisfied” with how he has been used this year, Holmes was asked directly if he is happy.

“We’re here winning ballgames right now,” Holmes said cryptically.

Holmes has just 22 catches for 311 yards and three touchdowns through the team’s first seven games. The veteran receiver has complained twice publicly about the offensive line and once about quarterback Mark Sanchez.

Last week, ProFootballtalk.com reported that Holmes was unhappy. The story did not contain any sources. When asked about the report, Holmes said he was unaware of it, but never denied it.

“Never heard that one,” Holmes said. “Next question. I didn’t talk to anybody about it, never heard about it.”

The Jets re-signed Holmes to a five-year, $45 million deal in July after trading for him before last season. Holmes had 52 catches for 746 yards and six touchdowns last year when he missed the first four games of the season due to a suspension.

Holmes said yesterday he does not care about statistics as long as the team is winning. But he was not that convincing.

“We’re winning ballgames,” Holmes said. “We’re 4-3 right now, and that’s pretty much all I can ask for up to this point. What, four touchdowns on the season, I think? I think that’s a pretty good ratio -- 22 catches, four touchdowns. It fits well in my book right now.”

His touchdown count was off, but he may have been counting a 23-yard touchdown against the Chargers that was called back for holding by center Nick Mangold.

The Jets’ offense has been searching for its identity all year, first throwing the ball more, then going back to the running attack. Derrick Mason was jettisoned to Houston after he was unhappy. Plaxico Burress had been invisible until he caught three touchdowns against the Chargers in Week 7, before last week’s bye.

All of it leads to a lot of pressure for Sanchez, who has a lot of people to keep happy -- something he said he’s not worried about.

“We’re not in the business of keeping people smiling,” Sanchez said. “We’re in the business of winning.”

When asked specifically about Holmes, Sanchez smirked at the question.

“He’s doing fine,” he said. “He had a penalty wipe out a touchdown [versus the Chargers], and if not for the penalty I don’t think anyone would say anything.”

Jets coach Rex Ryan pointed out that the media was asking about Burress before the Chargers game, and then he caught three touchdowns.

“Last week it was Plax, now this week it’s Tone,” Ryan said. “I understand that. Hopefully, it’s the same thing. Hopefully, we have the same effect where he catches three touchdowns. I understand the numbers. But the great thing about Tone is he never gets caught up in the numbers. We don’t get caught up in the numbers. ... He’s an explosive guy. I’d love to see him catch a few more balls.

There’s no doubt.”

Tight end Dustin Keller leads the Jets with 25 receptions. The only other teams that have a leading receiver with that few catches are the Seahawks (25) and Rams (20).

Holmes feels like an explosion waiting to happen. But he said he’s not worried about his stats.

“In all actuality, man, we’re here to win ballgames,” Holmes said. “The numbers speak for themselves come the end of the day whether you had three catches for one touchdown or four catches for three touchdowns. ... All we can do is hope that we can continue winning ballgames. We can’t worry about how many catches and yards and touchdowns we put up each game.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/happy_holmes_iamIeIdSJfzeBahez3Q9fN#ixzz1ceFLgVjp

Inside the Jets-Bills matchup

November, 3, 2011

Nov 3

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini

It only took a decade or two, but we finally have a Jets-Bills game that means something. This one has plenty of interesting angles. Let's go inside, with help from ESPN Stats & Information:

DEFENDING RYAN FITZPATRICK

• The Jets won't have much reason to use their base defense; they'll be in nickel and dime throughout the entire game. That's because the Bills have used the spread offense (3+ WRs) more than any team in the NFL -- 339 times out of their 434 plays. Their run-pass ratio out of the spread look is 38-62.

• Fitzpatrick is a dink-and-dunk passer. He has totalled 1,609 air yards on his attempts, which averages only 7.0 yards per pass, third-lowest in the league. The only quarterbacks with a lower average are Tony Romo and A.J. Feeley. The Bills' offense is based on timing, three- and five-step drops and quick throws. The Jets need to play aggressive press coverage to disrupt the timing.

• One of their favorite passes is the screen. In fact, Fitzpatrick has completed 27 of 28 screen passes for a 101.6 passer rating.

CONTAINING FRED JACKSON

• Everybody talks about Jackson's running ability -- and there's a lot to talk about -- but he's also a dangerous receiver. He has 27 receptions for 378 yards after the catch (YAC), an average of 14.0 -- second-best YAC in the league. Patriots WR Wes Welker is first. Tackling Jackson in space will be critical; it's going to take outstanding pursuit to the ball.

THE GOOD HANDS PEOPLE

• Fitzpatrick's favorite receiver is Stevie Johnson (team-high 60 targets), but when he gets in the red zone, the focus shifts to TE Scott Chandler (six TDs). He leads the team with six end-zone targets, resulting in five TDs. It wouldn't be a surprise if the Jets use a bracket coverage on Chandler near the goal line. One more thing about Fitzpatrick's receivers: The Bills have only five dropped passes.

FITZ THE BLITZ BEATER

Fitzpatrick doesn't get blitzed too often, probably because of his quick release. He also happens to be very good against the blitz. Against 5+ pass rushers, he has completed 65% of his passes for a 101.6 passer rating. The Jets haven't been blitzing as much this season, as compared to past years, but it might be tempting if the Bills spread the field and keep in only five to block. But you'd better make sure the blitz gets there or it could be a big play.

THE BUFFALO BLITZ

The Bills don't do a whole lot of blitzing, but they happen to be pretty effective at it. When sending 5+ pass rushers, they've held opponents to two touchdowns, five interceptions and a 61.4 passer rating. QB Mark Sanchez has handled extra pressure pretty well, with only one interception and a 96.1 rating in 79 attempts vs. 5+ rushers. Interesting side note: The Jets are the only team that hasn't surrendered a touchdown pass with 5+ pass rushers.

OPPOSITES ATTRACT

The Jets and Bills are polar opposites when it comes to offensive philosophy. Oh, they both want to maintain balance, but they go about it in different ways. The Jets aren't into the spread formations. Since Rex Ryan's Ground-and-Pound speech in Week 5, the Jets have used more two-RB and two-TE packages. In fact, they average 4.6 yards per rush when using multiple tight ends. That's something to watch because the Bills (4.9 ypc) are struggling with their run defense.

Offense Sees Risk, Reward vs. Crisp New Bills

By Andrew LeRay

Posted 2 hours ago

These are not the same old Bills. The rejuvenated team in Buffalo is enjoying a renaissance season of sorts, sitting atop the AFC East along with the New England Patriots at 5-2. The Bills boast the highest-scoring offense in the conference, riding the emergence of RB Fred Jackson and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick.

As good as the Buffalo offense has been, their defense has been equally impressive. The Bills currently lead the NFL in interceptions (14) and overall takeaways (18). Their turnover differential of plus-9 is best in the AFC.

“It will be a challenge for us,” said LG Matt Slausonicon-article-link.gif. “They’re a much-improved team, and they’ve got a lot of big guys on that line now.”

With four sacks through their first seven games, the Bills defensive line was striking fear in nobody.

And then the Bills hosted the Washington Redskins in Toronto and changed the opinion of many. In the 23-0 blowout of the 'Skins, Buffalo tallied 10 sacks, the most by any team in a single game all season.

As if the swarming secondary wasn’t enough to worry about, now there is another focal point for the Jets offense.

“It’s a matter of executing and really sustaining our blocks,” said Slauson. “In the past, we’ve had a great game plan going in. We’ve been really committed to the run, and our execution has been great.”

Slauson puts it mildly. In the previous four meetings between the rivals, the Green & White have averaged 279 yards per game on the ground. Included among those four games was a 318-yard outburst in 2009 when RB Thomas Jones set the franchise record with 210 rushing yards in a 16-13 overtime loss at the old Meadowlands stadium.

“It’s a great feeling,” said Slauson of the Jets’ success against the Bills in the run game. “It’s almost like we’ve put the team on our backs. But it’s everything — the tight ends, the receivers downfield.

The receivers don’t get enough credit because they’re the ones that spring us from an 8-yard gain to a 50-yard gain.”

The Bills are again having difficulty stopping the run this season. Opposing teams are averaging 4.9 yards per carry, the highest allowed among all AFC defenses. With RB Shonn Greeneicon-article-link.gif coming off a season-best performance against San Diego in Week 7, it’s fair to assume he will again bear a large workload.

The run defense and gambling secondary of the Bills could mean good things for the Green & White come Sunday afternoon.

“They’ve been making turnovers because of those big gambles they’ve been taking,” said TE Dustin Kellericon-article-link.gif after Wednesday's practice. “But they can also give up a big play. When the opportunity comes, we’re going to make sure it’s a big play and not a turnover.”

The “big play” was a common notion throughout the locker room on Wednesday, as the offense appears poised to attack downfield.

“Obviously, we would love to hit a 40-yard bomb or a 60-yard touchdown,” said Slauson. “The easiest way to go about that is to chew up yards on the ground. We have to make sure, as a line, that we’re doing a great job for Shonn and LT [LaDainian Tomlinsonicon-article-link.gif], because that will suck the safeties into the box and then we can throw it anywhere.”

With a 4-3 record, with upcoming matchups against division opponents, every game is critical for the Jets. Still, Sunday's game will be an important barometer by which to judge both teams as they play their eighth games of the season.

“We’re playing pretty good football,” said Keller. “Now it’s a matter of keeping that going out of the bye week. From today’s practice, all signs show we’re going to continue to roll because it was a really good day.”

Jets D-Linemen DeVito, Ellis Uncertain Against Bills

November 3, 2011 8:08 AM

Share thisNo comments

mike-devito.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)

NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) – Mike DeVito and Kenrick Ellis did not practice for the Jets Wednesday, and their availability for the team’s game at Buffalo on Sunday is in question.

DeVito, a starter at defensive end, missed the Jets’ last game before the bye-week break against San Diego with a knee injury. Coach Rex Ryan said on Monday he’d be “shocked” if DeVito didn’t play against the Bills, but says Wednesday that the team will know more Thursday if he can practice and isn’t experiencing soreness.

Ellis appears less likely to play — however, the rookie defensive tackle told Metro on Wednesday that he “should” be able to go.

“I’ll be ready to play and help the team. I should be able to play,” Ellis, who injured his left ankle in the 27-21 win over San Diego, told the paper. “It’s just up to the coaches and trainers then to decide if they think I’m ready and how they want to use me.”

Linebackers Calvin Pace (groin) and David Harris (ankle), center Nick Mangold (ankle) and defensive back Isaiah Trufant (hamstring) were limited but expected to play.

(TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO and EYE Logo TM and Copyright 2011 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.)

Rex Ryan happy to get team back in pads

6ec4b4b543b3bca26504efdb07d9.jpg

AL PEREIRA/GETTY IMAGES

Rex Ryan got the team back in pads Wednesday coming off the bye week.

More about Jets

KRISTIAN DYER

NEW YORK

Published: November 02, 2011 8:45 p.m.

Last modified: November 02, 2011 8:54 p.m.

Coming off the bye week, the Jets went into their preparations for Sunday’s game in Buffalo refreshed physically and also mentally. They came out a bit more beat up, and according to head coach Rex Ryan, that was by design.

The Jets practiced in pads for the first time since Oct. 19 and tried to wipe away the rust that can settle in following a bye week. While the days off are a positive for the players’ overall well-being, the Jets convened last Monday at the team’s facility and then didn’t meet again till a week later. It does take the team out of a certain rhythm.

That’s why Wednesday’s practice was in pads.

“Get back on the field and pick that intensity back up and hit, because that’s what happens out of bye weeks. You need to tackle well and sometimes you get a little rusty,” safety Jim Leonhard said.

“Obviously you’re not hitting as much with the rules the way they are anyway, but it’s great to get the pads back on and get your legs back under you and pick that intensity up. Coming off a bye, you need to regain that momentum you had coming into the bye week.”

The Jets are hampered by the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, which limits padded practices to just 14 during the 17-week regular season. When looking at the schedule, the coaching staff decided to use one of these precious padded practices this Wednesday to help the team regain their sharpness from before the bye week.

“Just [with] that time off, set your pads. That was a man’s practice today, a lot of fundamentals,” Ryan said. “When you come off a bye week, tackling is important.”

Outside linebacker Jamal Westerman said that Wednesday’s practice was “technique-heavy” with a focus on hitting and sharpness. Under Ryan, the Jets have lost the past two seasons after the bye week and with a trip to 5-2 Buffalo on Sunday, they can’t afford any slip-ups.

“We went out there, really worked on our technique. It was a man’s practice as Rex likes to call it. Playing against a team like Buffalo that likes to run the ball, it’s important,” Westerman said. “We’re coming a week that was great for your body but hitting guys, hitting them, bending your knees and making tackles, you wanted to get back into that football mentality. It was good that way, I don’t want to say to wake us up, but to energize us as a team again.”

For a team that won two straight heading into their bye week, the importance of Wednesday wasn’t just in fine-tuning and readying themselves for what should be a tough game against the Bills, it was also in re-discovering that edge and momentum from their mini-winning streak.

“It’s important to do it, but I think guys are more eager to do it. A week and a half without pads on, the last padded thing we had was the game. It was important for us to come back in with the pads and hit a little bit. Even if we’re limited a bit, everyone else around the league is limited,” nose tackle Sione Pouha said. “It’s important for us to come back in with pads.”

Follow Jets beat writer Kristian Dyer on Twitter @KristianRDyer.

Thanks, Baxter

November, 2, 2011

Nov 2

8:22

PM ET

By Jane McManus

Sometimes practicing against your own defense or offense hones your skills, for example NT Kris Jenkins and C Nick Mangold had some epic clashes in training camp last season. Other times, it takes you out of the game.

That's what apparently happened with DE Mike DeVito's knee the Thursday before the win over the Chargers. DeVito could be out again this week after missing practice again with the knee, coach Rex Ryan said. DeVito made a brief appearance in the locker room today. Asked if he was at least able to get back the guy who did it to him, DeVito turned.

“He got traded, or he left — he went to SanDiego,” DeVito said as he walked to a meeting.

In other words, thanks Colin Baxter.

Mystery solved: In the press release announcing WR Michael Campbell returned to the Jets roster, there was the additional item -- WR Scotty McKnight was placed on practice squad IR with a torn ACL. Ryan explained what happened in his press conference this morning.

"It was really unfortunate. In practice he ran a route, broke across the middle, caught a ball and then went down," Ryan said. "It looks like he has a significant knee injury, obviously, an ACL injury, and that’s just unfortunate. The young man really is working hard and I thought was really improving. It’s just unfortunate."

If there is a silver lining, it would be that McKnight has more time to spend with his girlfriend, actress Hayden Panettiere, and that he still counts Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez as one of his best pals.

Missing Brad: The Jets didn't hold onto wide receiver Brad Smith during the chaotic free agency period late this summer. Buffalo snatched up the former quarterback. It's a loss that Ryan lamented Wednesday.

"Brad is the best Wildcat quarterback in the league, or Wildcat running back," Ryan said. "With Brad, it’s quarterback, because you have to defend the pass, as well. Obviously, Joe McKnight’s done a great job on kick returns, but Brad is a super player. We hated to see him leave, but sometimes that happens. You have 19 unsigned free agents. We knew it was going to be a challenge, but we definitely wanted Brad back. Unfortunately, we were unable to sign him."

Mangold needed the bye: After a high ankle sprain took him out of the Oakland game, Mangold used his bye to heal the tricky injury and practiced, albeit limited, on the first Wednesday since the injury.

"It was huge for me," Mangold said. "I got some rest some rehab, I was able to come out and practice on Wednesday, good progress."

When told that Sanchez mentioned he was still experiencing some pain before the bye, Mangold joked.

"With Mark behind me there's always some discomfort," Mangold said. "Thorn in my side."

Holmes says winning is all that matters

Originally published: November 2, 2011 9:59 PM

Updated: November 2, 2011 11:22 PM

By RODERICK BOONE roderick.boone@newsday.com

image.JPG

Photo credit: Getty Images | Santonio Holmes #10 of the New York Jets looks on against the San Diego Chargers. (Oct. 23, 2011)

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Santonio Holmes isn't posting the typical numbers of a top-flight wide receiver, the usual eye-popping statistics associated with a team's No. 1 target.

Holmes doesn't lead the Jets in any of the main receiving categories, posting a modest 311 yards and three touchdowns on 22 catches through their first seven games of the season. For someone who's considered a game-breaker -- Denver, Detroit and Cleveland witnessed his late-game heroics firsthand a season ago -- and inked a five-year, $50-million deal to return to the Jets as one of their main weapons, Holmes' numbers seem a tad low.

He's registered more than three receptions in a game just twice this season, with one of those efforts coming in the season opener against the Cowboys. But if Holmes isn't thrilled about his lack of opportunities to make plays, he didn't exactly voice that displeasure Wednesday.

"We're winning ballgames," he said. "We're 4-3 right now and that's pretty much all I can ask for up to this point. What? [Three] touchdowns on the season. I think that's a pretty good ratio -- 22 catches, [three] touchdowns. It fits well in my book right now."

Or does it? An Internet report last week indicated that might not be the case. The report suggested Holmes was "thoroughly dissatisfied" with his role in the Jets' offense.

"Never heard that one," Holmes said. "I didn't talk to anybody about it, never heard about it."

But asked for clarification purposes if he was pleased with his role, Holmes said: "We're here winning ballgames right now."

That, if you ask Mark Sanchez, is what's most important. It's not about massaging egos or making sure one particular player, such as Holmes, gets his fair share of chances. The quarterback admittedly struggled with that last season, but now understands he's not going to be able to keep all his playmakers completely happy.

"We're not in the business of keeping people smiling," said Sanchez, "we're in the business of winning."

Sanchez hasn't been looking for Holmes a lot lately. After being targeted a season-high 12 times against the Ravens on Oct. 2, he's been targeted a total of 13 occasions in the last three games, including getting just three looks versus the Chargers in the Jets' last game.

"I think teams know these guys study hard and they have good coaches," Sanchez said, "so they know '10' is just a baller and they want to keep him from getting the ball. So they do their best to do that and we do our best to get him the ball. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. And when it does, great, we'll probably win. And when it doesn't, hopefully we're still winning."

Rex Ryan said: "The great thing about Tone is he never gets caught up in the numbers. If you ask anybody in this league who the top receivers are, his name will always come up because that's who he is. He's an explosive guy and I'd love to see him catch a few more balls. There is no doubt."

Holmes, perhaps in an effort to shy away from saying anything controversial in the aftermath of his critical comments about the offensive line two weeks ago, tossed the word "winning" around seemingly more than Charlie Sheen.

"In all actuality, man, we're here to win ballgames," he said. "The numbers speak for themselves . . .

All we can do is hope that we continue winning ballgames. We can't worry how many catches and yards and touchdowns we put up each game. We just know we have to do what we have to do week in, week out to help this team continue stacking wins on top of wins."

Brad Smith chomping at the bit to face Jets

Published: November 2, 2011 7:47 PM

By RODERICK BOONE roderick.boone@newsday.com

image.JPG

Photo credit: AP | Buffalo Bills' Brad Smith (16) tries to evade Washington Redskins' London Fletcher, bottom, during the first half of an NFL football game. (Oct. 30, 2011)

Stadium 3966172412.JPG Jets blog: The Boone Docks

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Brad Smith's first crack at sticking it to his former team is almost here.

In three more days, Smith and the Bills will host the Jets in an AFC East showdown in Buffalo.

"It's going to be crazy," the wide receiver/kick returner said Wednesday. "It's kind of a surreal experience just knowing those guys and playing with just about all of them. I expect to hear from Bart [scott] and Eric Smith. It should be fun."

Smith was an all-purpose player for the Jets, handling kickoff returns, playing wide receiver and running the Wildcat. When the lockout was lifted and free agency began, the Jets focused their attention on adding Nnamdi Asomugha, who eventually signed with the Eagles. Smith wasn't about to wait around for an offer and inked a four-year, $15-million deal with Buffalo.

"I can be honest, at first it sounded crazy," Smith said. "Everything happened so fast when the lockout ended, and next thing you know I was on a plane to Rochester and I'm sitting in a team meeting and I know no one. It was unbelievable. It didn't feel real."

Smith hasn't done much. He's rushed 19 times for 84 yards and a touchdown, amassed just 103 yards on five kickoff returns, caught five passes for 43 yards and threw an interception.

"He's done a lot of good things that don't come out in statistics sometimes," Bills coach Chan Gailey said, "and that's what people go on is statistics. But he's had a huge impact on our team."

DeVito sits out

Mike DeVito is still nursing a knee injury that forced him to miss the Jets' last game, and the defensive end has yet to practice. He worked strictly on the side with strength coach Bill Hughran, and his status for Sunday remains up in the air.

"I thought for sure he'd go," Rex Ryan said. "We'll see how it progresses. I expect him to do more tomorrow. He pushed it quite a bit with Bill Hughran, so hopefully he doesn't have any soreness and we're able to get him ready to roll."

LOL @ the media trying to get Holmes to crack. When you read those articles, its almost like they are blaming Holmes but when he doesnt have but 30 something targets, how can you blame him?

He needs the ball more. There is no question about it. I think the major problem is, Mark looks to get rid of the ball as fast as possible. I've seen numerous plays that Holmes breaks free the deep down field or over the middle and Sanchez is already checking down. If he could be a little more patient and let the plays develop (and actually see the play) Holmes would be a totally different beast. The guy is unreal. He just needs the damn ball.

Scouts Inc.: Bills' O vs. Jets' D

November, 3, 2011

Nov 3

9:10

AM ET

By James Walker

The Buffalo Bills (5-2) will host the New York Jets (4-3) in the game of the week in the AFC East.

One of the key matchups will be Buffalo's high-scoring offense against the talented defense of New York.

nyj.gifbuf.gifCan Buffalo score 20 points or more for the eighth consecutive game? We check in with Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. to examine the strengths and weaknesses.

"One thing the Jets are very adapt to doing is going with a lot of defensive backs. When they played the Patriots, sometimes you saw seven defensive backs on the field. Nobody else tries that stuff. And you know the Bills are going to be in three-wide [receiver sets].
Steve Johnson
is Buffalo’s best receiver, but he’s been slowed lately. I think
Darrelle Revis
completely takes him out of the equation. That matchup really favors the Jets. But the guy I don’t think New York can account for all that well is
Fred Jackson
. He’s a problem for everybody right now. He does everything so well that I don’t know what the Jets’ answer is for him. By Jets’ standards, the run defense has not been great. One thing I noticed is they are worse on the edges. I think losing
Bryan Thomas
hurt a lot there, because he was a real solid edge player who kept everything inside. I think they got a lot weaker on the perimeter."

Scouts Inc.: Bills' O vs. Jets' D

November, 3, 2011

Nov 3

9:10

AM ET

By James Walker

The Buffalo Bills (5-2) will host the New York Jets (4-3) in the game of the week in the AFC East.

One of the key matchups will be Buffalo's high-scoring offense against the talented defense of New York.

nyj.gifbuf.gifCan Buffalo score 20 points or more for the eighth consecutive game? We check in with Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. to examine the strengths and weaknesses.

"One thing the Jets are very adapt to doing is going with a lot of defensive backs. When they played the Patriots, sometimes you saw seven defensive backs on the field. Nobody else tries that stuff. And you know the Bills are going to be in three-wide [receiver sets].
Steve Johnson
is Buffalo’s best receiver, but he’s been slowed lately. I think
Darrelle Revis
completely takes him out of the equation. That matchup really favors the Jets.
But the guy I don’t think New York can account for all that well is
Fred Jackson
. He’s a problem for everybody right now.
He does everything so well that I don’t know what the Jets’ answer is for him. By Jets’ standards, the run defense has not been great. One thing I noticed is they are worse on the edges. I think losing
Bryan Thomas
hurt a lot there, because he was a real solid edge player who kept everything inside. I think they got a lot weaker on the perimeter."

This week, and next week against Welker should tell us if Kyle Wilson is ready for Prime Time

New York Jets QB Mark Sanchez, 11.2

On the difference between Buffalo’s defense this year as opposed to last year…

Well, they’re just playing a lot smarter and are just playing a lot better. And those two additions of their draft pick (Marcel) Dareus and (Nick) Barnett at linebacker make them an already good unit, really good. They’re just playing teams really tough, playing teams tough for all four quarters and there’s no quit in these guys. They’re a much better, much improved team. So it’s going to be a huge challenge for us to go into their place and try and come out with a win but we’re going to have to play really well and really smart.

On Buffalo’s defense creating a lot of turnovers…

Absolutely, I think they’re number one in the league, if I’m not mistaken, in interceptions, and they have a few fumbles as well. So, they get them multiple times in a game. So that can just really hurt an offense. So we need to play smart, can’t give them anything and we have to be in it for all four quarters and not let up.

On the potential weather problems in Buffalo…

Sure, ball security this week is at a premium. One, because of the way they play and two, because of potential weather. So, that’s an important aspect of this game and usually the team that takes care of the ball best wins.

On coming back from the bye week…

It feels good, I think we had a great Wednesday and our goal is to win today and be sharp. That’s what we felt we’re doing. So, we have to make some corrections from the practice, but I liked our effort, I liked our intensity and I liked our speed; and the emphasis and the gameplan, I really like our base gameplan. Now we have to carry it over to third down, red zone and play well.

On keeping up the momentum from the Chargers win…

I think we had a great plan, and I think coach (Brian) Schottenheimer, coach (Matt) Cavanaugh, Bill Callahan, Hank (Ellard), (Anthony) Lynn, coach (Mike) Devlin, everybody, they have the right plan. They really coached so hard before that bye week, and nothing has really changed. It feels like it’s that same intensity, it feels like these next couple weeks we have to go on a little run here, and it starts this week. But I was proud of the way we really converted on third down and kept doing it in a row. So that was big and everybody stepped up. It was JK (Jeremy Kerley), it was Tone (Santonio Holmes) it was Plaxico (Burress), it was everybody, Dustin (Keller), and the backs, so that was huge.

On struggling on the road this season after being so good the past two years…

Easy, easy. (joking) It’s (three) games now, be easy on us. This is still a tough team on the road, we’re just going to have to play smart, we can’t have any penalties and we have to take care of the football, and that’ll really set us free. It starts with our preparation today, I thought guys did a great job.

On Shonn Greene breaking out against the Chargers…

It was great. Shonn Greene, he’s a powerful back. And I said it last week, two weeks ago, whatever, when I’m chasing him after the play, that’s a good thing. So I’ll be tired, that’s fine. I can run after him all day. If we can have that, that’ll be great.

On coming back from the bye and looking at the big stretch coming up…

We’ve looked at it from a big picture, just Monday coming back and seeing where we could be and establishing the goal for these next three, four weeks or whatever, next month. But right now our focus is on Buffalo and that’s where this thing starts. So I thought we had a great start to the week and I’m really pleased with where we’re headed and now it’s time to tighten things up, really focus in and play well. This is a really good team, so we have to play well.

On Buffalo’s defense getting interceptions…

I think they’ve played their schemes a lot smarter this year. They’re not giving up big plays, they’re making you earn them and they’ve been tackling much better. I think they’ve put an emphasis on the pass rush, especially this past week, getting after Washington the way they did. So you cause pressure on the quarterback that could cause turnovers. So it’s my job to be smart, get rid of the ball when I need to and be accurate or they’ll make you pay.

On capitalizing on Buffalo’s defense being aggressive…

I think some of the times they’ve just been at the right place. It’s not just them being aggressive, but them not jumping routes so much as being in the right place and running their scheme so well and hustling to the football that when they tip a screen pass, that the guy behind them is right there, where maybe in years past they haven’t been. And it’s an energized group. These guys are all playing to the whistle. So, I think that’s where a lot of it is from, it’s not as much just taking a gamble and taking one to the house, they’ve made good plays on tipping the pass or really playing their scheme so well like a trail technique and a quarterback will throw it inside on them and they just jump in front of the route because they’re playing their technique right. More than just gambling or jumping something, they’re playing their schemes really well.

On the offensive line against the Bills defensive line…

Sure, they’ve just been much more physical, they’ve really attacked and are hitting downhill on these runs. So our run blocking is at a premium this week, so we need to really define our blocks and get up on the second level, establish our running game. And that’s what coach Callahan is preaching to those offensive linemen. So they’ll get the message and they’ll play well.

On why this year will be different coming out of the bye week as opposed to the last two years…

I think that bye week practice when we came back, that whole week, we were kind of searching on Friday it felt like, and Saturday, to really tune in, because Wednesday and Thursday weren’t good. And today was already a great Wednesday, and Monday too. So, I think just this week’s prep has already surpassed what we did last year. And I just remember that feeling going into that Green Bay game, maybe not being as confident as we wanted to be, just because things didn’t look good on film. When you look back on it on Saturday night in the hotel and you’re watching some of your plays from the week and they’re all completions and all runs that bust and things look good, then yes, you feel good going into the game. But last year, it wasn’t the case. It was an ugly week of practice and it showed on Sunday.

On if having different skill position players each year makes coming off the bye more difficult…

I don’t know, we have to go with the guys we have though. Nothing is changing. Their work ethic isn’t changing, they’re working hard and we’re trying to get it right. I think we started to click last week, Plaxico sure had his day. And who knows, he could do it again or it could be somebody else. We converted on third down, that was important, we established the run game, and we got completions when we needed them, so that was big.

On if it is difficult to get new players instead of keeping the same weapons on offense…

Sure, you have to get comfortable with the guys you have, and I’m so lucky to have these guys. So, we’re finally starting to hit our groove. Nick (Mangold) is feeling good up front at center, anchoring that thing up front. These guys are making big plays in the pass game, and the run game is really starting to go. So we just need to keep plugging, stay positive and we made it through that three game slump, and now we have to keep rolling past it.

On if he had a chance to reflect on the season during the bye…

Absolutely, I think looking at the beginning part of our season, when Nick goes down, we had a tough three game stretch there. And he’s not healthy for that Patriots game, no question. So he fought his butt off, played hard and we were just short. We were in that game. If we play this thing until the end, we know we have a chance. The other two games we didn’t play our best and that’s fine. But I think I was just proud of the way guys persevered through that. I think people might have been calling to hit the panic button on the outside, and guys in here didn’t really blink. It’s a long season and everything we want is still right there in front of us. It’s hard to say that after three losses, but now you win two games in a row, go on a bye week, now we’re ready to go. So it feels good, it’s really too bad that Nick went down and we had to go through that, but that’s the way it goes.

On if losing Mangold earlier this year was like losing his safety net…

It changes things of course, but it doesn’t mean that I can just play poorly. I have to step up and lead these guys regardless. I’m just proud of the way we keep improving. I think that’s been huge and we made an emphasis on (the) run game, we made an emphasis on third down, and these past couple weeks we’ve really improved. So that’s good.

On if he has talked to Santonio Holmes about his role in the offense…

Sure, he’s doing fine. (We) had a penalty on his touchdown catch. So if that’s not a penalty, there’s another big touchdown for him and I don’t know if anyone says anything. So I don’t think, really, there’s anything to worry about. Plaxico had a great day against the Chargers, Santonio had some crucial catches in there and it could be the same this week. It could be Santonio’s day, it could be Dustin’s. Either way, it doesn’t matter. These guys are trying to win, and that’s our focus.

On if it gets easier to manage wide receivers’ expectations as he gets older…

Sure, we’re not in the business of keeping people smiling, we’re in the business of winning. Whether it’s rushing it 100 times a game, is that the quarterback’s favorite game? No, probably not, but we win. And when we get a chance to throw, you better throw it right. So when these guys get a chance to catch, be at the right landmark and I’ll hit them, and that’s it. So whatever it takes, really, I don’t think anybody is upset about it or anything like that.

On Holmes’ targets being lower than normal for a number one receiver…

I think teams know (about him), these guys study hard and they have good coaches, so they know 10 (Holmes) is just a baller. And they want to keep him from getting the ball. So they do their best to do that, and we do our best to get him the ball. And sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn’t. When it does, great, we’ll probably win. And when it doesn’t, hopefully we’re still winning, and that’s it.

On if Rex Ryan’s announcement that the team was going back to “ground and pound” lifted weight off his shoulders…

I don’t think so, I mean, we threw the ball plenty against San Diego and I think it’s more of a mentality than anything, than just a stat, like we need to run it “x” amount of times. I don’t think it matters, if we’re efficient on first down and we’re getting completions, we’re getting three-plus yard runs, we’ll be fine. So I don’t think it really mattered.

On newcomer Shawn Nelson and what he brings to the offense…

The tight ends look great, throwing to them on Monday and today. And that’s one of those things too. You’re getting new guys during the season, you have to get some extra reps with them and make sure they understand the verbiage, just in case somebody goes down. God forbid (someone gets hurt), we need guys in there that can play and know the system. But all those guys have looked great.

On the importance of getting chunk yardage…

I think those big plays will come. They happen and they’re explosive plays and you want to get more than the other team and that’s great. But at the end of the day, if we’re sustaining 10, 12, 13-play drives, that’s just as good as a one, big play drive. But they do help with momentum, that’s for sure.

On if the Bills are playing their scheme better this year…

Not too much, I just think Barnett and Dareus have added quite a bit. (Chris) Kelsay is the same, he’s a really good player. And he’s been a good player, he just has (had) a little better help. That secondary has played together for a long time now. With (Jarius) Byrd, he used to be the young guy and now he’s the three-year vet and that guy can really play. They just communicate really well, they know where to be and they’ve gotten some really good bounces because they’re playing so hard. Teams don’t just get lucky, these guys are working really hard, and it’s obvious, it shows.

On Cam Newton…

He’s killing it. Unbelievable. I don’t know, I haven’t studied him or broken down tape or anything, but I know he’s a freakish athlete and when things break down, I wish I could run like that. You go from one or two reads and take off, he’s his own check down, so that’s huge. That’s pretty cool, that’s a pretty cool weapon. And he knows that, he’s been smart that way. But, he’s made big plays when he needed to and it looks like he’s understanding quite a bit what’s going on. So I’m thrilled for him. As a quarterback you root for other quarterbacks, and he’s doing a heck of a job.

On if he knows Newton personally…

No I don’t.

New York Jets WR Santonio Holmes, 11.2

On coming off the bye week…

I think it’s putting in as much effort as we put in the game before going into the bye week. We pretty much have to come out with that same effort and intensity and give it to these guys come Sunday. We know what is at stake right now. Going up there with another AFC game and a divisional game as well, and we have to make the best of it.

On the atmosphere in Buffalo…

I hear a lot about it. I’ve never played in Buffalo, so it’s actually going to be my first time going into to see what their stadium is like. I played the guys in Canada one year in Pittsburgh in the preseason, but that was about it. But I hear a lot of stories about the Buffalo Bills and their fans. I know it gets really loud in there, it gets windy at times and we just have to be careful with the ball. No turnovers, no mistakes, like we have out in practice with loud music throughout the offense’s time on the field. Focusing in, keying in on hearing the snap count and moving the ball how we’re supposed to.

On how tough the next two game stretch will be…

I think this is the best part of football. Once you get that bye week out of the way, everything pretty much lies in front of you, knowing that you control your own destiny. And I think that’s where we are right now.

New York Jets TE Dustin Keller, 11.2

On if Buffalo giving up a lot of yards to tight ends goes into the offense’s strategy…

Yes, you look at it a few different ways, that they’re giving up those passes to the tight ends, or they probably made it a huge emphasis and that’s something they really want to stop. Just like anything else, you just have to be ready for whatever way the game unfolds. If we’re going to be running real heavy, you have to be prepared for that, if we’re going to be passing we have to be ready at the same time. You never know which way the gameplan is going to go until Sunday.

On getting a read on what Buffalo’s secondary does…

I think they switch it up, they switch it up fairly often, so it’s kind of hard to get a read on them, and so far this season it seems we’ll look at how teams have been playing other teams and try to get a feel for that, and then we go into it and it seems like more times than not we’re seeing something completely different. So you obviously have to study all the gameplans and stuff that they’ve done in the past, but you have to be ready to make a change at any second for a different defense that you haven’t seen all year. And I think these last few games, that’s something we’ve been good at.

On the possibility of making big plays against Buffalo’s aggressive defense…

Without question, and they’ve been getting a lot of turnovers because of those gambles they’ve been making. But, you also could give up a huge play. So when the opportunity comes we’re going to make sure it’s a big play and not a turnover.

New York Jets LB Bart Scott, 11.2

On the significance of the next two games…

Of course, we control our own destiny. The two teams that are ahead of us, we play them, and if we’re successful, we’ll be on top. That’s the challenge. Going out and playing two divisional opponents and trying to take control of this division. After everything that has happened and things that have been written and said about us, if we win these next two weeks, we’re right exactly where we want to be.

On if the team has lost their swagger…

We’ve faced adversity, Mark (Sanchez’s) rookie year, we experienced two three-game losing streaks. We still believed in each other, we still believed in the coaching staff, and we know we can dig ourselves out of any hole. We don’t want to be in those holes, but we still believe that it’s not over until it’s over. We’ll just keep playing and see what happens. I think we’re finally figuring out how we want to go about winning and how we want to go about playing. And I think even some of those games, like that Patriots game, we may have lost, but that was the first time I believed where we played the way that we wanted to play and dictate our style and our pace on other people. But to say that we had a bit of an identity crisis at the beginning of the year, I think a lot of teams were trying to figure out how they were going to go about the season.

On the difference between the Bills offense this year and last year…

Absolutely no difference, all they’re doing is executing doing what they did and what they’ve always done, they’re just doing it better. They’ve been together, they’ve been able to get some chemistry with each other. Their line is playing up to each other and working well together and they’re just executing well. It’s the same exact plays that they’ve had ever since I’ve been here. They spread you out to run, more of a spread-type of offense. I think now they’re just executing better and they’re not hurting themselves by getting penalties and turning the ball over.

Transcript: Head Coach Rex Ryan 11/2

by Bassett on November 3rd, 2011 at 9:12 am

Opening Statement…

Alright, here we go. Injury report. Mike DeVito with his knee and Kenrick Ellis with his ankle did not practice today. They were on the side with Bill Hughan our strength coach. Guys that were limited today, David Harris, ankle, Nick Mangold, ankle, Isaiah Trufant, hamstring, and then Calvin Pace, groin, was limited. Guys that were full, Marcus Dixon with a knee and Ropati (Pitoitua) with his knee. With that said, DeVito, I thought for sure that he’d go. We’ll see how it progresses. I expect him to do more tomorrow. He pushed it quite a bit with Bill Hughan, our strength coach, so hopefully he doesn’t have soreness and we’re able to get him ready to roll. We’ll see. Other than that, that’s the injuries.

On Scotty McKnight’s getting injured…

It’s so bad. It was really unfortunate. In practice he ran a route, broke across the middle, caught a ball and then went down. It looks like he has a significant knee injury, obviously, an ACL injury, and that’s just unfortunate. The young man really is working hard and I thought was really improving. It’s just unfortunate.

On whether he is optimistic about Kenrick Ellis’ injury…

Yeah, hopefully tomorrow both of those guys (Ellis and DeVito) will get out there and practice some tomorrow. So, we’ll probably have a better idea tomorrow.

On whether Calvin Pace injured himself in practice today…

No, he’s had this groin injury and things like that and we just kind of limited him a little bit. Not really concerned with him in the short term. It’s more long term.

On what type of challenges the Buffalo offense presents and how the team has approached similar challenges by using nickel and dime packages…

I think we’ve handled those things pretty decent this year. Obviously, New England ran the ball against some of our packages. We don’t really defend Buffalo the same way. (Fred Jackson’s) run the ball on almost everybody. He’s made some huge plays, too – not just in the running game, but in the screen game. So, we have to be really ready for him. He’s probably, if you’re talking an MVP of their team, it’d have to be him, I’d think.

On whether Jackson presents more of a challenge because of the injuries to the defensive line…

Well, with all of us, we have to definitely defend the run. That’s where it starts. You’ve got to defend the run on these guys, because even though they spread you out, they still run the football. They actually have 20 more carries than we do, 20 more rushing attempts than we do as a team. There still a run-first football team and then they’ll also throw it on you, obviously, but they’ve been very successful running the football this year.

On Ryan Fitzpatrick’s improvement and what he is doing differently this season…

Even in the past, he was a very competitive guy. I’m just going to throw it out there—he’s smart, I think (jokingly). I got that one right in my comments, definitely got that one right. He’s a very competitive guy and he’s a got a strong enough arm. There are guys with bigger arms than him, but he’s smart, he gets the ball out quick. He identifies coverages quickly and he can run with it. He’s a better athlete than some people give him credit for. We know that, so we’re definitely going to have to prepare for that.

On what has allowed Buffalo to lead the league in interceptions…

Well, they do a great job. I’ll tell you what, it’s not by accident. They catch a lot of tipped passes and all that, because they play hard. They run to the football and things we pride ourselves in, as well, you see it with them. They do run to the ball well. Sometimes you get leads, you get more opportunities. This team, it seems like they attack the football. Even a couple of years ago, obviously our six interceptions we had in our game probably helped their total, but they were amongst the leaders that year, as well. It’s a ball-hawking group in the back end. I like the way they play. They run to the ball.

On whether the Bills ball-hawking on defense makes them susceptible to big plays…

Maybe so. Sometimes if you don’t make it, sometimes the ball can go by you, but they’re very aggressive. They’re not going to change their style.

On where the Jets miss Brad Smith the most…

I would say in the Wildcat. Brad is the best Wildcat quarterback in the league, or Wildcat running back. With Brad, it’s quarterback, because you have to defend the pass, as well. Obviously, Joe McKnight’s done a great job on kick returns, but Brad is a super player. We hated to see him leave, but sometimes that happens. You have 19 unsigned free agents. We knew it was going to be a challenge, but we definitely wanted Brad back. Unfortunately, we were unable to sign him.

On having success running the ball against Buffalo in the past and whether the game plan will be similar this season…

Well, you definitely want to run the football. Each week, you set out trying to run the football and this week will be no different. We want to establish the run and also be able to take shots down the field. That’s basically what we try to do each week. The play of their inside guys—I’m glad Kyle Williams is not going to play against us, because he’s really a good football player, but the young man from Alabama (Marcell Dareus) is doing a great job, Dwan Edwards, as I used to call him, “Big Wiggle,” from our Baltimore days, he’s playing really well also.

On why he thinks the running game has been more successful the past two games…

I think it starts with running the football (joking). That might be one way, but then getting back to more two backs, two tight end stuff, there are different things that we have always done in the past. I think that’s who we really are. I think I was kind of set-up and enamored with those three wides and, when we looked at it, we said that might suit our personnel (better), but really what’s best for the Jets, is the ability to run the football, maybe play more regular personnel (groupings) and two-tight end personnel groupings.

On how difficult it is to execute game plans while having a high turnover among the skill positions like the team has had the last two seasons…

I think there is some (difficulty). Obviously, if you bring in somebody new to your system, there is some adjustment period, but again, we’re not using that as an excuse. We’re at the stage of the season where that is no longer an excuse.

On Mark Sanchez’s play over the last couple of weeks…

I think he’s played well. We got the two victories and you know that’s how I always judge how the quarterback plays is if you win or lose, so he’s played well the last two weeks.

On if the importance of completing long passes downfield is exaggerated…

You’d like to take some shots, there is no question about that, and you’d like to hit on those. That’s probably more important, but sometimes there are some things where you feel like they are sitting on your routes or sitting at the sticks and you throw it up there deep just to keep them honest. If they play those sticks, you hit them for a touchdown, so certainly, you have to do that.

On if they did more hitting than usual in practice today…

Yes, probably so, just to get back (from) that time off and things, be able to set your pads. As we said, that was a man’s day today. That was a real practice and (we had) a lot of fundamental periods, getting back into hitting and tackling. Really, when you look at it, those two years, I want to make sure we do a good job of tackling. I think that’s been a thing where sometimes if you come off the bye week, that’s definitely an emphasis- tacking.

On if he has found a formula for the post-bye week…

Still searching, unfortunately, but hopefully this week. I feel good about our preparation. I feel good about where we are, and obviously, it’s a big challenge going to Buffalo where they are undefeated and tied for first in our division, so they’re a good football team. This will be a big challenge whether you’re coming off a bye or not, but I feel good about our plan. Obviously, my history is not good.

On Santonio Holmes’ production this season…

Last week, it was Plax (Plaxico Burress). Now this week, it’s Tone (Holmes) (laughter). I understand that. Hopefully, it’s the same thing. Hopefully, we have the same effect where he catches three touchdowns, but I understand. It’s the numbers, but the great thing about Tone is he never gets caught up in the numbers. We don’t get caught up in the numbers. If you ask anybody in this league who the top receivers are, his name will always come up because that’s who he is. He’s an explosive guy and I’d love to see him catch a few more balls. There is no doubt.

On what his message was to the team this week…

Just don’t assume that on Sunday we can roll out there. It’s important right now that we get physically, mentally, emotionally ready right now. We know we have the opportunity right in front of us that we talked about, trying to win our division, and the opportunity is right in front of us. We’re running into it. We understand that and we’ll be ready. There are absolutely no excuses, time off (or) whatever, that helps us, obviously. Our guys are fresh, but mentally, we have to be focused, we have to be sharp and understand that it will be a physical game.

On if he feels that the team has lost some of its swagger…

No, I don’t believe so. I think just the opposite. I think we’re getting it back. I think, if anything, I don’t think we lost it, but I think winning these past two games certainly helps. The style of play is back to playing New York Jets football and I think that’s important, so I think just the opposite.

On if he plans on utilizing Joe McKnight at running back more this week considering how he played against Buffalo last year in the regular season finale…

Well, did he do anything last year? I forget that game (joking). Yes, absolutely, he’ll get more opportunities this week.

On Mike Mayock’s comments that the team is upset with being scheduled to play New England on Sunday night and then in Denver on Thursday night…

As long as you win, no one has a problem. Hopefully, we win the Sunday night game and we come back and win that Thursday night game, then it’s a bonus. That’s a plus. Like last year, we played Cincinnati on Thanksgiving, you know, the green bean casserole game (joking). When you win it, that’s great. You sit back and say, ‘Hey, that’s great. We have a little more time.’ I always think it’s a positive if you win.

On if he thinks it was unfair to have a Sunday night game before the Thursday night game as opposed to a Sunday afternoon game…

(I) never thought of it that way because if I said something then, (the headlines would read) “Ryan blasts commissioner” (joking). I think I’ll avoid that one.

On the role he has envisioned for McKnight…

I think he will (have a different role). I think he’s earned it. He’s done a great job, even as a receiver. He’s done a great job. They (Buffalo) are using (C.J) Spiller a lot as a receiver, too. You get an explosive athlete, you look for ways to use him and I could see us using him a little more this week.

Kris Jenkins: Jets, Schottenheimer Not Allowing Sanchez To ‘Be A Man’

November 3, 2011 10:30 AM

Share this 2No comments

kris-jenkins-boomer-and-carton.jpg?w=300

(credit: Al Dukes/WFAN)

NEW YORK (WFAN) – Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has taken his lumps this season. He hasn’t been safe from the fans, in the media and reportedly even in his own locker room.

One name attached to the growing groundswell is former Jets defensive tackle Kris Jenkins, who didn’t hold anything back in an interview Thursday morning with WFAN’s Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton.

When asked directly if Schottenheimer is preventing quarterback Mark Sanchez from developing into an upper-echelon player, Jenkins responded, “I think so. Yes.”

“(Sanchez) is a true quarterback and he’s going to put the work in,” said Jenkins. “I just don’t think that they allow him to be a man. I think it’s unfortunate.”

According to Jenkins, it’s a case of Schottenheimer “trying to do too much.”

“Some coaches, they want to be known for being innovative and doing something new and bringing something wonderfully magic to the game,” said Jenkins. “Sometimes you’ve just gotta get back to the basics … and plan to the strength of your players.”

Not even Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, mostly revered among fans, was safe from the straight talk of Jenkins.

“I think he’s a wonderful businessman,” said Jenkins. “I just don’t think he understands football like that yet.”

As it stands now, Jenkins doesn’t think the Jets will make good on Rex Ryan’s boasts of a Super Bowl title in Indianapolis.

Matter of fact, he doesn’t even think they’ll make the playoffs this year.

“They would have to beat (Buffalo) and New England for me to be convinced.”

Holmes says he’s not unhappy

Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2011, 8:24 PM EDT

holmesreuters.jpg?w=250 Reuters

Last week, we reported that Jets receiver Santonio Holmes isn’t happy with his role in the offense. On Wednesday, he met with the media for the first time since then, and he was asked about the report.

“Never heard that one. Next question,” Holmes said, per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “I didn’t talk to anybody about it. Never heard about it.”

Right.

Asked directly whether he’s happy with his role, Holmes said, “We’re here winning ball games right now.” (That’s nice, but that wasn’t the question.)

In seven games, Holmes has only 22 catches for 311 yards and three touchdowns. That puts him on pace for 50 receptions for 710 yards and seven touchdowns for the full season, and that would roughly match Holmes’ output from all of last year.

But last year he played in only 12 games.

Though Holmes called his numbers a “pretty good ratio,” he was talking about the relationship between his catches and his touchdowns, which per Brian Costello of the New York Post Holmes erroneously identified as four. So while a ratio of one touchdown in every 5.5 catches would be “pretty good” (albeit as to Holmes not accurate), the issue isn’t how many touchdowns he has in relation to his receptions. The issue is that he’s not being targeted as much as he’d like, and the fact that he’s averaging barely three receptions per game confirms that.

Moreover, Holmes got himself into hot water last month by complaining publicly. So now he’s not complaining publicly.

But he’s been complaining privately. And if he hasn’t been, he’s not much of a competitor, is he?

If he complains he is a cancer and if he doesn't he isn't a competitor...can't win...So what exactly is the purpose of this article?

1948563.jpg?1320314533

'Mayhem' Returns; Maybin Faces Bills For 1st Time

Joe Buscaglia Reporting

JoeB@wgr550.com

The former first round pick didn't make the Jets roster out of training camp, and instead had to wait until an injury to Bryan Thomas forced the team in to needing some help getting after the passer. Since he's been put in his new role, Maybin has been flourishing.

Twitter: @JoeB_WGR

All photos courtesy of AP

He initially made the final 53 and was cut after the trade for Schlauderaff and picking up Baxter off waivers. I don't think Maybin is eligible for the practice squad, so he couldn't land there. He was brought back before Thomas got hurt and they both played in the Baltimore debacle. The extra roster space helps him stick around, but I don't think the team envisions him as any kind of replacement for Thomas this season.

Aaron Maybin 2.0 returns to Buffalo

November, 3, 2011

Nov 3

1:10

PM ET

By James Walker

nfl_maybin_sy_576.jpgUS Presswire/Getty ImagesAfter struggling with Buffalo, Aaron Maybin has found a home with the New York Jets.

The last time Buffalo Bills fans saw Aaron Maybin at Ralph Wilson Stadium, he was a struggling first-round pick failing to find his niche in the NFL. Maybin, the No. 11 overall pick in 2009, never produced anything close to what his draft status suggested. He was cut by the Bills this summer, ending the two-year experiment.

But the New York Jets' version of Maybin is a different player this season. He is getting to the quarterback and is tied for the team lead with three sacks. Maybin also leads the Jets with three forced fumbles. He is finally living up to the "Mayhem" nickname he earned at Penn State.

A rejuvenated Maybin 2.0 returns to Buffalo on Sunday in a Jets uniform. He credits a change of scenery and New York's coaching staff for his newfound success.

"To me, it's not much of a difference other than the fact it's a different team," Maybin said in a telephone interview with the AFC East blog. "There's nothing different about me physically, from a preparation standpoint, or anything else from how I've been my entire career.

"The difference is I'm here. I'm with an organization and with a coaching staff that is putting me in the position to help the team win. Those opportunities put in my lap and faith being put in me have allowed me to go out there and be able to have a little bit of success this year."

Maybin' transformation was instantaneous in New York. He had a great preseason in Rex Ryan's scheme and recorded 2.5 sacks this summer in limited playing time.

Maybin began training camp as a long shot but initially made New York's 53-man roster. He was cut soon after to make room for several roster moves. But the Jets re-signed Maybin for good in Week 4.

Since then, Maybin has made his mark as a situational rusher in New York. He's recorded a sack in three of his four games. He had his best performance against the Miami Dolphins in Week 6 on "Monday Night Football," when he recorded a sack and forced two fumbles.

Playing in the New York City market rarely provides less pressure. But that has been the case for Maybin. He no longer has the "draft bust" label that he carried every day in Buffalo. He's simply a role player with the Jets.

"Whatever he gives the Jets is gravy -- it's total opposite expectations," said Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. "Oh, by the way, Ryan, Bart Scott, Darrelle Revis, they're not going to let you sit around and be a slacker. They're going to grab you behind the scenes and say 'Hey, this is how we do it around here.' There's a lot more leadership on that side of the ball."

Maybin acknowledges he's "pumped" for his return to Buffalo. It's his first chance to show the Bills the level of play he couldn't deliver in his first two NFL seasons.

In Buffalo, Maybin played for three head coaches in two years -- Chan Gailey, Dick Jauron and interim coach Perry Fewell. Maybin speaks very highly of Ryan, his fourth NFL head coach.

"Coach Ryan is a player's coach. He's the kind of coach that every player wants to play for and every coach wants to coach for," Maybin said. "He keeps the locker room excited every day. Sometimes it's even surprising to me how he's able to do that. He will come into a room that has no energy and the whole room will be energized within five minutes of him talking.

"He is passionate and coaches with his heart on his sleeve, just like most guys in this locker room play with their hearts on their sleeve. He's an awesome leader and a guy this whole locker room stands behind."

Not only is this a big game for Maybin, it's also a big game for the Jets.

Buffalo leads the AFC East with a 5-2 record. New York (4-3) is just one game behind Buffalo and the New England Patriots (5-2). That is surprising, considering New York's three-game losing streak last month nearly crippled its season. The Jets responded by winning two straight games to keep their playoff hopes alive.

"That was the first thing coach Ryan emphasized -- that us as a team and a locker room stay together," Maybin said. "We didn't let anybody come in and start to divide us and start to convince us that we weren't the team we thought that we were. That's what we did. We never lost sight of our focus and we never lost faith in each other. Now, we're starting to come out of it."

The same can be said about Maybin. The Jets saw something in him that Buffalo did not. Now, Maybin is repaying the Jets' confidence in him with his productive play on the field.

Aaron Maybin 2.0

Aaron Maybin, now with the New York Jets, is having his most productive season. Season(s) Team Games Tackles Sacks Forced Fumbles 2009-10 Bills 27 29 0 1 2011 Jets 4 5 3 3

It'll be an emotional day at the Ralph

November, 3, 2011

Nov 3

1:19

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Bills are pulling out the stops for this one.

They will wear their white jerseys at home for the first time since Oct. 19, 1986, and will honor former PK Scott Norwood between the first and second quarters. Of course, you could argue that Norwood's presence will bring bad vibes, not good ones. He was a nice kicker for the Bills during their heyday, but he will be remembered for missing the potential game-winning FG in Super Bowl XXV against the Giants.

Wide right.

Norwood will receive the Ralph C. Wilson Distinguished Service Award. He'll probably receive a warm ovation from the fans, much the way Red Sox Nation embraced Bill Buckner when he returned.

It will be an emotional day at the Ralph, because the team will honor the late Kent Hull in a pre-game video tribute. Hull was the beloved center on the great Jim Kelly teams in the late 1980s and 1990s, and he died recently. I remember interviewing Hull during those days, and he was indeed a class act.

Jets' McKnight honored for special teams' work

1:19 PM, November 3, 2011 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets kickoff returner Joe McKnight was named AFC Special Teams Player of the Month for October.

McKnight, who replaced an injured Antonio Cromartie as the team's return man, had 11 kickoffs for 443 yards in the month, including a 107-yard touchdown return against the Ravens. McKnight's 40.3 yard kickoff average was the highest in the NFL in the month.

McKnight leads the NFL with a 40-yard kickoff return average.

Both DT Mike DeVito (knee) and DT Kenrick Ellis (ankle) participated in individual drills at practice Thursday. DeVito hurt his knee two weeks ago in practice and missed the Chargers game. Ellis sprained his ankle on the first series against San Diego.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_mcknight_honored_for_special_8H83qP6JEpPcg3U8PTNmOO#ixzz1cfQLPXQG

It'll be an emotional day at the Ralph

November, 3, 2011

Nov 3

1:19

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

The Bills are pulling out the stops for this one.

They will wear their white jerseys at home for the first time since Oct. 19, 1986, and will honor former PK Scott Norwood between the first and second quarters. Of course, you could argue that Norwood's presence will bring bad vibes, not good ones. He was a nice kicker for the Bills during their heyday, but he will be remembered for missing the potential game-winning FG in Super Bowl XXV against the Giants.

Wide right.

Norwood will receive the Ralph C. Wilson Distinguished Service Award. He'll probably receive a warm ovation from the fans, much the way Red Sox Nation embraced Bill Buckner when he returned.

It will be an emotional day at the Ralph, because the team will honor the late Kent Hull in a pre-game video tribute. Hull was the beloved center on the great Jim Kelly teams in the late 1980s and 1990s, and he died recently. I remember interviewing Hull during those days, and he was indeed a class act.

Not so sure his welcome would be warm!

Bill Buckner went back after the Red Sox won a championship. Before that he was most wanted guy in Boston!

1950614.jpg?1320435288

Posted: Friday, 04 November 2011 12:38PM

Levitre to Start at LT; Fitzpatrick, Jones Probable

Joe Buscaglia Reporting

JoeB@wgr550.com

Orchard Park, NY -- Heading in to one of the most important games of the season, the Buffalo Bills are getting healthier as they approach their tilt with the New York Jets.

For the second straight day, only Demetrius Bell and Kyle Williams did not participate in practice. Both players have been declared out for the Jets game, along with rookie cornerback Aaron WIlliams.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Donald Jones, Andy Levitre and Johnny White are all probable to play. Fitzpatrick had been limited on Wednesday and Thursday, but was never thought to be a threat to miss the game by both he and the coaching staff. Levitre didn't practice on Wednesday due to a shoulder injury, but was just saving himself up for the game on Sunday.

In the case of Donald Jones, he returns to the field after missing only two games with a high ankle sprain. Head coach Chan Gailey said Jones won't be 100-percent, but has looked good in practice through the week. Jones didn't miss any reps on both Thursday and Friday.

Two players have earned the tag of 'questionable' for the Bills. Chris Kelsay and Chris Hairston will both be game-time decisions for the team. Kelsay's calf injury started bugging him on Thursday, so the Bills were being cautious with it. Just a day ago, Gailey declared that he believes Hairston had a great chance to play against the Jets. But after further review of practice film, the head coach backed off and said he didn't look as good as he initially thought.

With Hairston questionable and Bell out, the plan for the second straight week is for Levitre to start at left tackle, and Chad Rinehart to get the start at left guard.

The Bills are up against the Jets Sunday, 1 pm at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Tune in to WGR Sports Radio 550 starting at 8 am for pre-game coverage and the latest Bills' developments!

Archived