Jets News 6-15

flgreen

Jets DT Ellis headed to jail on Friday

5:27 PM, June 14, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

Jets defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis spent the last day of mini-camp working with the team as usual.

He is heading to a different place Friday, though, as the players go their separate ways.

Ellis will report to jail in Virginia to begin serving a 45-day sentence. Ellis pleaded guilty to assault and battery last month for an incident in 2010 when he was a student at Hampton.

Jets coach Rex Ryan said he has spoken with Ellis about the situation, but did not want to get into detail of what he said.

"I have conversations with a lot of our players, but obviously that’s a different situation. But I definitely talked to him," Ryan said. "There are people that have gone through similar things, and I basically said, 'Lean on each other.' That’s pretty much it."

Ryan said he is confident the second-year player can handle the jail sentence.

"He’s a strong man," Ryan said. "And I know one thing, he's looking forward to this season. He put so much into this offseason."

Ellis did not want to discuss the impending jail sentence.

Ryan praised Ellis' work this offseason, saying he improved the most along with guard Vlad Ducasse. Ryan said Ellis, unable to do a pull-up last year, is now able to do 10 sets of 10 pull-ups with a 35-pound weight tied to him.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_dt_ellis_headed_to_jail_on_zYGAgpFiuSxtgz01CepcUM#ixzz1xromt06T

Rex reiterates, no QB controversy

June, 14, 2012

Jun 14

8:15

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- One day later, Rex Ryan explained RepGate.

"Apparently, I need to be in more offensive meetings," he joked Thursday.

He was referring, of course, to the weird, if not significant events on Wednesday.

Backup QB Tim Tebow took two first-team reps in practice, shortly after a team spokesman, attempting to clarify earlier remarks from Ryan, said Tebow wouldn't see any first-team reps in the conventional offense, only the Wildcat package.

The spokesman felt compelled to address it because Ryan, in his news conference, indicated Tebow would get some work with the starting unit in training camp. Obviously, the Jets wanted to quell any speculation of a controversy, but Ryan's initial comment turned out to be accurate -- sort of.

"I just want to let you know, there's not a quarterback controversy," said Ryan, bringing it up on his own. "This is the way it's going to be: (Mark) Sanchez is the starting quarterback, Tebow is the backup."

PARTING WORDS: At the end of practice, Ryan gathered the team on the field for one last speech before it scattered on vacation. Basically, he told the players they'd better be in top shape when they report to training camp. There are fewer reps in camp because teams practice only once a day and, unlike the not-so-old days, a player can't work himself into shape the way he used to.

Ryan wants to build endurance. As he said, "I want to own the fourth quarter."

D.T. on DBs: Secondary coach Dennis Thurman spoke to reporters. A few highlights:

• He loves the potential of his unit: "Without question, this is the most physically talented secondary we've had since we've been here. If things pan out, we could be scary."

• Thurman believes safety LaRon Landry, who skipped most of the offseason program, to be caught up mentally by the time he gets through training camp: "I don't expect him to have any problems."

• Thurman praised sixth-round pick Josh Bush, saying he's currently the No. 4 safety. Ellis Lankster is running as the No. 4 corner.

INJURY REPORT: WR Santonio Holmes (hamstring), WR Stephen Hill (hamstring), WR Patrick Turner (hamstring) and DE Marcus Dixon (calf) didn't take part in team drills. Holmes and Hill looked fine in positional drills.

THIS AND THAT: A crowd of 1,500 turned out for the public practice. ... The quarterback group did its first autograph signing session for the general public at the end of practice, and it was immediately clear which quarterback was most sought out. Tim Tebow had several staffers around as he ducked under a barrier to get closer to fans, and signed everything that came his way. ... Ryan said he's taking a vacation to Paris and Prague.

NY Jets say they may scrap 3-4 defense at times in favor of 4-3 setup

Gang Green feels it has personnel to play four-man front

Comments

By Manish Mehta / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Published: Thursday, June 14, 2012, 11:31 PM

Updated: Friday, June 15, 2012, 1:33 AM

Print

image.jpg

Robert Sabo/New York Daily News

Jets defense tries out new wrinkles in minicamp that ends Thursday in Florham Park, N.J.

A year and a half after Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine devised one of the most creative defensive game plans in NFL history, the duo quietly made a shift that could jolt a lagging pass rush. Gang Green dressed an unthinkable 11 defensive backs — 25% of the active roster — to stymie Tom Brady in a 28-21 divisional playoff win over the Patriots in January of 2011.

For the better part of three seasons, Pettine and Ryan have relied on innovative and unconventional tactics to create havoc within the framework of their 3-4 scheme. Although the Jets will retain some of those 3-4 roots, Pettine admitted that “we’re going to be more 4-3” to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks. The Jets have finished 18th, seventh and 17th in the league in sacks under Ryan.

Pettine went so far as to predict that the Jets may not play any 3-4 base defense in their six AFC East games that feature three teams with spread offenses. “We might not play a snap of base defense in a division game this year,” Pettine said. “If it’s five snaps a game, that’s probably a lot.”

The defensive philosophy this season is simple: “Best 11.” Thanks to an influx of athletic, young defensive linemen (see: Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples), the Jets’ best 11 defensive players will necessitate a four-man front.

“With the personnel we have,” outside linebacker Calvin Pace said on the final day of Jets minicamp Thursday, “it’s logical to do it.”

Ideally, here’s what the four-man front would look like: Wilkerson will play “80-plus percent of the snaps,” according to Pettine. Pace and Coples will be the primary edge rushers with a rotation among Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito and Kenrick Ellis for the fourth spot. Marcus Dixon will bounce between the interior and edge.

“If he’s fresh,” Pettine said of Coples, “there’s going to be more than a reasonable chance that he’s going to be out there on all downs.”

New defensive line coach Karl Dunbar has been trying to teach better pass rush techniques to all the defensive linemen, who have typically been stout run blockers in the past. The theme is to use their hands and body leverage to get to an offensive lineman’s edge rather than simply try to bull rush.

Dunbar has emphasized a switch from playing against the run to playing against the pass after the snap.

“I’m more a go-through-the-wall type of guy,” Pouha said. “Now I’m being smart and going around them.”

There were good early returns from minicamp. In 49 snaps — or about 75%of an average number of plays in a game — the first-team defense generated six simulated sacks, according to a Daily News breakdown.

The defensive line depth coupled with solid man-to-man coverage will also give Pettine and Ryan the flexibility to play more “46” defense, an aggressive variation with five pass rushers that was originally designed by Ryan’s father Buddy nearly 30 years ago. Although Rex Ryan installed the 46 in the Jets’ defensive playbook in 2009, expect it to be used more often out of any personnel grouping. Pettine and Ryan could conceivably use the 46 with goal-line, short yardage or base defenses.

“It doesn’t matter what the offense does,” Pettine said. “If they think that they’ll keep us out of it by going with four wide receivers... no it won’t. We’re better-suited to play it now.”

Perhaps the greatest benefit, Pettine said, is that the 46 will force opponents to have simple pass protections.

Offenses will either have to have five one-on-one blocking matchups or “turn the protection” by blocking gaps, which often creates mismatches for rushing linebackers.

Pettine noted that there were several times this off-season when those zone protection schemes against the 46 resulted in running backs Shonn Greene or Joe McKnight having to block Pace or Coples.

Although most teams that play the 46 typically use a Cover-1 look (one safety in the post) with man-to-man coverage underneath, the Jets will disguise their coverages when showing a Bear front. It’s the ultimate high-risk, high-reward defense that Ryan and Pettine won’t be afraid to use.

“Driving on the New York streets is very risky, but I drive home every night,” Dunbar said. “If you’re going to win big, you got to gamble big.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-scrap-3-4-defense-times-article-1.1096110#ixzz1xrqokdtG

Jets vow to be true team this season

Jets Blog

By BRIAN COSTELLO

Last Updated: 3:51 AM, June 15, 2012

Posted: 12:30 AM, June 15, 2012

The Jets have spent the past five months putting the 2011 season behind them, and now the 2012 season is nearly upon them.

The Jets broke mini-camp yesterday confident the chemistry issues that plagued the team last year are done with.

“I don’t know how many wins we’ll have, but I know we’ll have that [problem] corrected,” coach Rex Ryan said. “We will have a close football team. We’re not going to beat ourselves with some of the in-fighting or all that other stuff. That’s a thing of the past.”

As is the offseason. With their final mini-camp practice yesterday, the Jets said goodbye to a crazy offseason that began with players sniping at each other, followed by the hiring of new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano and, of course, the trade for Tim Tebow.

“I’m excited about where this team is,” Ryan said. “I really am. Anytime you put in a brand-new offense, I’m excited about how far we’ve come. All the formations changed, everything, the motion, the tempo and the verbiage ... are we there yet? No, but we made strides.”

The focus from the outside during the offseason program has been on the quarterbacks: Tebow and Mark Sanchez. It seems like 90 percent of the questions asked by reporters centered around those two. There is only going to be more scrutiny in six weeks when training camp opens in Cortland, N.Y.

Sanchez finished with a thud yesterday, completing just 1-of-10 passes with a sack in team drills. Tebow, who went 3-for-4, did not run any Wildcat plays during the time the media was permitted to watch practice this spring.

The focus inside the locker room was not on the quarterbacks, but on installing a new offense and improving on defense. Sparano brought his run-heavy attack with him and rode the players in practice with his voice that could be still heard in Miami, where he was head coach from 2008-11.

“I was thinking today, sometimes you hear coaches say something, and you’re like, ‘Whatever. They’re just saying it because they’re coaches,’ ” guard Brandon Moore said. “On my own, I felt like we accomplished a lot, made a lot of strides, nowhere near where we need to be, but we accomplished a lot in the time we had.”

The defense of Ryan and Mike Pettine did not change as drastically as the offense, but underwent a facelift of its own. Pettine stressed speed in the offseason program and players, most notably linebacker Bart Scott, came back slimmer and quicker.

The Jets also have shifted to using more four-man fronts with first-round pick Quinton Coples allowing Pettine to do different things with the defense. All spring long, the Jets have been lining up with four down linemen, something the 3-4 team had done less of in years past.

Pettine was asked if he believes the Jets will use more four-man lines than three-man this year.

“We will,” he said without hesitation. “Even in base defense or nickel, I see us being in more four-down groupings. We feel like we have two pretty good bookends in Quinton and [Muhammad Wilkerson] and we have a pretty good rotation of guys inside.”

The defense believes it can get back to its 2009 form, when it was No. 1 in the NFL. It dropped to No. 5 last year.

“I think we’re going to be a force to be reckoned with this season,” linebacker David Harris said. “Guys out there are flying around, having fun. We probably had the least amount of mental errors in practice this OTAs and mini-camp than ever before.”

* Defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis reports to a Virginia jail today to begin serving a 45-day sentence after entering an Alford plea last month to an assault and battery charge stemming from a 2010 incident. Ellis did not want to discuss his legal situation yesterday. ... Wide receivers Santonio Holmes and Stephen Hill both sat out team drills for the third day of mini-camp with hamstring injuries. Holmes did not speak to the media during mini-camp, in violation of league policy.

brian.costello@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/burying_the_past_gptfMsIeDa9dMak6WbXZON#ixzz1xrrWJhPq

Clowney fell out of favor with Jets

<p>

Published:June 15, 2012, 12:00 AM

0 Comments

Font Size:

Updated: June 15, 2012, 12:08 AM

There might not be a player on the Buffalo Bills' 90-man roster who is more eager for the start of training camp or more appreciative of his chance to compete for a job than receiver David Clowney.

That's because Clowney was forced to live without the game all of last season, after being among the final preseason cuts by the Carolina Panthers.

"I love the game of football," Clowney said after practice this week. "Even to this day I say I don't understand how guys hold out. I'm a player. I love to play football. The money isn't a big deal to me. I just want to play football, at the end of the day that's all it's about to me, playing the game I love."

Clowney hopes to emerge from what promises to be a dogfight for roster spots at wide receiver position for Buffalo this summer.

Stevie Johnson is the top threat at split end. David Nelson is entrenched as the top inside receiver.

Who will win the job at the outside flanker spot opposite Johnson?

It could be Donald Jones, who opened last season as the starter. It could be young Marcus Easley, the receiver with the best combination of size and speed on the team. It could be third-round draft choice T.J. Graham, the speedster from North Carolina State. It could be ex-Dolphin Derek Hagan or Clowney. Throw in Buffalo native Naaman Roosevelt, who catches everything thrown his way, along with incumbents Kamar Aiken and Ruvell Martin, and the Bills will have a tough time picking what likely will be six men to make the 53-man roster.

Clowney brings the element of deep speed the Bills need to create more space in the middle of the field for all their other weapons.

He ran a 40-yard dash time of 4.36 seconds when he came out of Virginia Tech in 2008. The 6-foot, 188-pounder said he just ran a time in the 4.3s a month ago.

"With 10 more pounds [than in 2008]," Clowney said.

Bills Wildcat quarterback Brad Smith, who played with Clowney on the New York Jets, says Clowney's speed is legitimate.

"He's always on as far as his speed goes," Smith said. "Some guys build up to it. His is from the first step to the 100th step -- it's always on that high gear. I think his ability to keep that speed up for a long period is a major attribute for him."

Clowney has not showed that blazing speed very much thus far in the NFL.

His career looked like it might be on the rise after 2009, when he averaged about 20 snaps a game for the Jets. He caught 14 passes for a 13.6-yard average. But the Jets rarely used three- and four-receiver sets, which limited his opportunities. Then the Jets opted to upgrade at receiver by acquiring Super Bowl most valuable player Santonio Holmes in a trade with Pittsburgh.

"Santonio is a good friend of mine," Clowney said. "I've known Santonio since the 10th grade ... we're both from Palm Beach County [in Florida]. When they brought him in, I kind of already knew what was going to happen."

Once Holmes came off a four-game suspension to start the season, Clowney was released. He was claimed by Carolina and saw limited duty the rest of the season for the Panthers. He failed to make the Panthers' squad to start the 2011 season. That started the long wait for an offer.

"To all of a sudden not be playing, that was kind of tough," he said. "I look at it like God makes everything happen for a reason. I had an opportunity to really spend time with my family. At the same time, every week I had a workout. I worked out for the Giants, the Titans. I was going here, I was going there."

Four days after the end of last season, on Jan. 5, the Clowney signed with the Bills after a workout in Orchard Park.

"As soon as I finished my workout, [general manager] Buddy Nix said, ‘We need you here,'" Clowney said. "I know sometimes you got guys who just talk. But he seemed really excited to bring me in.

That made me feel good."

Coach Chan Gailey, of course, regularly uses three and four true wideouts on the field. Clowney is spending this spring getting comfortable with the offense. He says he's eager to play outside or inside in the slot. He likely will have to show something on special teams, too, to crack the roster.

"When training camp comes around I'll be very comfortable with all four positions," Clowney said.

The Bills held their ninth organized team activity workout Thursday on the grass field behind the fieldhouse. They work again today, then have three mandatory minicamp practices next week. All are the workouts are closed to the public.

Jets' stellar defense is back in black

Friday, June 15, 2012

BY J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

The Record

Print | E-mail

FLORHAM PARK – Second-year defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson leaped to reject a Mark Sanchez pass before it could cross the line of scrimmage, and then gave the Jets starting quarterback a playful Dikembe Mutombo-esque finger wag.

MC_0615S3_Jets_40p.jpg

STAFF PHOTO BYCHRIS PEDOTA

Buy this photo

CB Kyle Wilson sporting the Jets’ new training camp look, a black jersey, Thursday at minicamp. Coach Rex Ryan said he will use the jersey to reward the unit that performs the best at a particular drill.

That play symbolized the final practice of the Jets’ three-day mandatory minicamp, and much of the spring itself, a time in which the defense seemed to be ahead of the offense.

That certainly is understandable, considering the defensive system has been in place since Rex Ryan was hired as coach in 2009, and the offense is beginning anew under coordinator Tony Sparano.

Still, veteran right guard Brandon Moore believes the offense made plenty of progress during spring practice, especially in terms of learning the new system.

Moore said that on the first day of voluntary practice last month, the offensive players were "a bunch of people running around not really knowing what they’re doing, so to speak. To where we are now, I felt like we accomplished a lot, made a lot of strides. [We’re] nowhere near where we need to be, but we accomplished a lot in the time we had, from where we started."

Yet it was the defense that got to wear black jerseys on the final day of spring practice, something that Ryan intends to do more of during training camp as a reward for good performance by either the offense or defense. He said he gave the defense the first chance to do it because he is a "defensive guy," but coordinator Mike Pettine’s defense outperformed the offense for much of the spring practices that were open to reporters.

"I stole this from Tony [sparano]," Ryan said of the black jerseys. "He did this in Miami, he put a team in different color jerseys. Whatever the emphasis is in training camp, let’s say we have a red-zone emphasis ... the group that I think did the best in that specific drill, I’ll put that group in the black jerseys for the next practice."

"I don’t know why we had black jerseys on," linebacker David Harris said. "I guess you’ll have to ask Rex, but it looked good on the defense, and hopefully we can make it a tradition to wear them for practice. I think it’s a good idea."

The Jets will reconvene in Cortland, N.Y., on July 26, when players are scheduled to report for training camp.

Until then, Moore said, players should be "enjoying your free time because you won’t have any for a while. If you feel like it, [spend a] little extra time with your playbook."

He also said players should keep up with their conditioning and weight training.

Like all other NFL teams, the Jets didn’t have spring practice last year because of the lockout. A year later, cornerback Kyle Wilson believes "the communication is way better. … [spring practice] was definitely an advantage that wasn’t available to us last year. We’re looking to build in camp and peak during the season."

BRIEF: WR Jordan White, a seventh-round pick from Western Michigan, signed a four-year contract. He is the last of the Jets’ eight 2012 draft picks to sign.

Jets' defense aims for former heights by simplifying its approach

Published: Friday, June 15, 2012, 5:00 AM Updated: Friday, June 15, 2012, 6:10 AM

3492.png By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Follow

Email Print

11179372-large.jpg

Enlarge Robert Sciarrino/The Star-Ledger (L-R) Quarterbacks Tim Tebow (15) and Mark Sanchez (6) laugh at they leave the field at the conclusion ofJets minicamp. Florham Park, NJ Robert Sciarrino/The Star-Ledger Jets minicamp gallery (21 photos)

The Jets defense has the same goal each year: To be No. 1 in the league.

The unit has been in the top five in each season under coach Rex Ryan, but the last time it was No. 1 was 2009. So this offseason, the coaching staff worked to simplify the playbook and “take the gray out” — in order to get back to the approach that worked so well three years ago.

“Let’s just go!” outside linebacker Calvin Pace said.

That’s not a rallying cry, it’s a way of playing. Linebacker David Harris explained it as “taking the hesitation out.” The goal is for players to play fast, which means there may be less reads on a play or less emphasis on getting into the so-called perfect call.

The defense’s offseason objective of “one step faster” is applied mentally, not just physically.

“Last year, we were a victim of thinking too much,” linebacker Bart Scott said. “Taking the gray out has allowed us to play fast. Everything we do is going to be moving fast, just like we did our first year.”

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said the coaches’ offseason project was to go through the playbook page by page, comparing the tape and the playbook drawings. He asked each position coach, “What in your area is gray? What do your players hesitate on?”

260701700001_1690121980001_vs-4fda76f0e2a9b0e4f9bab520-1592194026001.jpg?pubId=260701700001 Rex Ryan: There is no quarterback controversy NY Jets head coach Rex Ryan addresses the media the final day of mini-camp. 06/14/12 (Video By Robert Sciarrino) Watch video

The Jets removed some calls and clarified others. Pettine said the emphasis shifted away from calls with too many moving parts.

For example, instead of a player having to read if it is run or pass, and then hit the tight end, and then rush, the Jets may use a call that asks the player to simply get to the quarterback — and maybe hit someone along the way.

They also leaned on calls that have players line up based on the left and right sides, or the field and boundary, rather than reacting to the offensive formation or where a certain player lines up.

This will let the defense get set and play fast.

“Make the offense adjust to us,” Scott said. “Last year maybe we were reacting to the offense, and I think this year, we took it out. Let’s just go back to do what we do, let’s play fast and physical. And now make the offense have to speed up, because they are not getting time to read, because we’re forcing them to make a decision faster.”

Pace called it a rewind back to the methods used in 2009, after getting away from the core of Ryan and Pettine’s defense.

Of course, the personnel is much different than it was three years ago, so this defense will have its own distinct look. Pettine said the Jets took out some 3-4 calls and added in more 4-3 calls, to best utilize their personnel.

The Jets have always mixed in 4-3 looks, but now that can be achieved with 2011 first-round pick Muhammad Wilkerson and 2012 first-round pick Quinton Coples at the end positions, instead of outside linebackers.

Pettine believes the defensive line is now the “foundation” of the defense while there is some uncertainty at the outside linebacker spot, calling Bryan Thomas a “question mark” after Achilles and shoulder surgery. The Jets will follow their depth to get their best 11 players on the field, Pettine said, but their alignments will always be game-plan specific.

The Jets often used 4-3 looks during minicamp. Pettine explained “over-practicing” four-down formations was an objective this spring, since they had more experience in other packages.

But he liked what he saw and said to expect “a lot” of the 4-3 looks in training camp and the season.

“(New defensive line) coach (Karl) Dunbar had great success with the 4-3, with a four-man line in Minnesota, that’s his expertise,” Scott said. “Now we have a lot of guys that can play it, and we can be flexible in our fronts.”

Being flexible and playing fast have been hallmarks of this defense, and the Jets hope that propels them back to the No. 1 ranking this year.

For more Jets coverage, follow Jenny Vrentas on Twitter at twitter.com/Jennyvrentas

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

une 15, 2012 6:59 AM

Jets will rely on the 'foundation' of the defense and play more four-man fronts

BY Manish Mehta

A year and a half after Rex Ryan and Mike Pettine devised one of the most creative defensive gameplans in NFL history, the duo has quietly made a schematic shift that could jolt a lagging pass rush. In 2010, Gang Green dressed an unthinkable 11 defensive backs – 25 percent of the active roster – to stymie Tom Brady in a 28-21 divisional playoff win over the Patriots in January 2011.

For the better part of three seasons, Pettine and Ryan have relied on innovative and unconventional tactics to create havoc within the framework of their 3-4 scheme. Although the Jets will retain some of those 3-4 roots, Pettine admitted that “we’re going to be more 4-3” to generate pressure on opposing quarterbacks in 2012. The Jets have finished 18th, 7th and 17th in the league in sacks under Ryan.

Pettine went so far as to predict that the Jets may not play any 3-4 base defense in their six AFC East games that feature three teams with spread offenses. “We might not play a snap of base defense in a division game this year,” Pettine told me. “If it’s five snaps a game, that’s probably a lot.”

The defensive philosophy this season is simple: “Best 11.” Thanks to an influx of athletic young defensive linemen (see: Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinton Coples), the Jets’ best 11 defensive players will necessitate a four-man front.

“With the personnel we have,” outside linebacker Calvin Pace said on the final day of Jets minicamp Thursday, “It’s logical to do it.”

Added Pettine: “We just feel that our system is flexible enough that depending on what you’re giving us, we’ll have some answers.”

Ideally, here’s what the four-man front would look like: Wilkerson will play “80+ percent of the snaps,” according to Pettine. Pace and Coples will be the primary edge rushers with a rotation among Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito and Kenrick Ellis for the fourth spot. Marcus Dixon will bounce between the interior and edge. The defensive line, Pettine said, is the “foundation and strength of the defense.”

“If he’s fresh,” Pettine said of Coples, “There’s going to be more than a reasonable chance that he’s going to be out there on all downs.”

Regardless of the alignments, new defensive line coach Karl Dunbar’s primary teaching point this spring has been developing better pass rush techniques for all the defensive linemen, who have typically been stout run blockers in the past. The theme is to use their hands and body leverage to get to an offensive lineman’s edge rather than simply try to bull rush. “I’m just like BASF,” Dunbar said. “I don’t make the products you have. I just make them better.”

Dunbar has emphasized converting from playing against the run to playing against the pass after the snap.

In other words, the defensive linemen will typically play the run first (depending on down and distance, of course) and make the appropriate adjustments if they recognize pass.

“I’m more a go-through-the-wall type of guy,” Pouha said. “Now I’m being smart and going around them.”

There were good early returns from minicamp. In 49 snaps – or about 75 percent of an average amount of plays in a game – the first-team defense generated six simulated sacks, according to a Daily News breakdown.

The defensive line depth coupled with solid man-to-man cover cornerbacks will also give Pettine and Ryan the flexibility to play more “46” defense, an aggressive variation with five pass rushers that was originally designed by Buddy Ryan nearly 30 years ago. Although Rex Ryan installed the 46 in the Jets’ defensive playbook in 2009, expect it to be used more often out of any personnel grouping. Pettine and Ryan could conceivably use the 46 with goal-line, short yardage or base defense groupings.

“It doesn’t matter what the offense does,” Pettine said. “If they think that they’ll keep us out of it by going with four wide receivers… no it won’t. We’re better suited to play it now.”

Perhaps the greatest benefit, Pettine said, is that the 46 will force opponents to have simple pass protections. Offenses will either have to have five one-on-one blocking matchups or “turn the protection” by blocking gaps, which often creates mismatches for rushing linebackers.

Pettine noted that there were several times this off-season when those zone protection schemes against the 46 resulted in running backs Shonn Greene or Joe McKnight having to block Pace or Coples.

Although most teams that play the 46 typically use a Cover-1 look (one safety in the post) with man-to-man coverage underneath, the Jets will disguise their coverages when showing a Bear front. It’s the ultimate high-risk, high-reward defense that Ryan and Pettine won’t be afraid to use.

“Driving on the New York streets is very risky, but I drive home every night,” Dunbar said. “If you’re going to win big, you got to gamble big.”

http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream

Rex Ryan Rewards Jets’ Defense With Black Jerseys

June 15, 2012 7:45 AM

Share this 1View Comments

Share and see what your friends read on CBS Local.What's this?

rex-ryan.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

Filed under

Jets, Radio.com - Sports, Sports

Related tags

Antonio Cromartie, Black jerseys, David Harris, New York Jets, Rex Ryan, Tony Sparano

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. (WFAN/AP) – The Jets’ defensive players were “Men in Black” on the final day of minicamp.

Rex Ryan said he stole an idea from new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano by having the defense wear black jerseys Thursday. It will be a reward, determined by Ryan, for who did the best – offense or defense – in a specific emphasis during training camp.

Ryan said he let the defense wear them first because “I’m a defensive guy.”

“It’s just a fun thing,” said Ryan. “Maybe it will pick up the practice and stuff like that. Really it makes them think of what the emphases are, so that’s why we broke out the jerseys today.”

The players didn’t know why the jerseys were hanging in their lockers, but linebacker David Harris said “it looked good on the defense.” Cornerback Antonio Cromartie said the players joked about having black jerseys “with green with a little bit of white, maybe gray in it. I think that would look real good.”

According to Ryan, it’s all about motivating his guys.

“The thing about football players — and probably any sport — guys love competition,” he said. “And it’s just a way, when they’re on the field and that offense is in the black jerseys, ‘Oh, they got the better of the defense.’ “

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/jets-strive-to-be-men-in-black-1.3783406

Jets strive to be men in black

June 14, 2012 by KIMBERLEY A. MARTIN / kimberley.martin@newsday.com

image.JPG

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- They slipped on the jerseys Thursday and instantly felt different, as if psychologically altered by the dark threads.

Their objective in practice always has been to bully linemen off blocks, to rattle the quarterbacks' cages, and to bump receivers off their routes. But the members of the Jets defense, a unit already known for its boisterous trash-talk, now have even more of an incentive.

During training camp, the unit that performs the best during practice will get to wear black jerseys the following day, a playful ploy implemented by Rex Ryan.

"Guys love competition," said the coach, who took the idea from offensive coordinator Tony Sparano. "This is just a way of adding to it a little bit. It's a fun deal. They can get after each other more."

The black jerseys were waiting for the players, hanging up neatly in their lockers. There was a buzz of excitement among the defense, said Antonio Cromartie, who stepped onto the field with an extra bounce in his step.

"I just came to my locker and I had a black jersey," he said. "And I was excited."

But the cornerback insisted the dark practice top didn't make him feel more tough.

"We're just going to come out and be intimidating, period,'' he said. "Not because we have on a different color jersey or a black jersey. That's one thing we're trying to work on this whole entire spring and going into training camp."

But in the next breath, he was refusing to part with it.

"We're going to dominate the offense every single day," Cromartie said, punctuating every last word. "I'm sorry, but we're going to keep our black jerseys."

Rookie defensive back D'Anton Lynn isn't established enough to take part in the trash-talking just yet. But he certainly heard a lot of it from the veterans on defense.

"They were saying that they're going to get it every single day," Lynn said.

After "a really big fall off" on the final day of OTAs, said Dustin Keller, the Jets offense made considerable strides during this week's three-day minicamp. And despite periods of miscommunication early in Thursday's practice, the offense responded in 7-on-7 drills -- evidenced by Mark Sanchez's red-zone touchdown pass to Keller.

"There was no question that we got the better of them," said the tight end. "We will be wearing those jerseys a fair amount. We will definitely have our fair share of those jerseys."

But within minutes, Keller was pointing out the impracticality of wanting to wear dark-colored clothing in the middle of summer. "We're a little bit smarter on the offensive side of the ball," he said, taking a playful shot at the defense. "We don't particularly want to wear them because you'll get hot and you'll sweat more. So we might have to talk to Rex about having the winner wear the white jersey."

Cromartie -- a Tallahassee, Fla., native who doesn't even consider summertime in Cortland to be hot -- isn't worried about the sweat. Instead, he and the rest of the defense are focused on being men in black for the foreseeable future.

"Hopefully we can get some more special treatment," he said with a laugh, referring to the new jerseys. "The offense always gets special treatment."

Jets shifting to more 4-3 defense to try to generate sacks

Posted by Darin Gantt on June 15, 2012, 8:54 AM EDT

ny-ap796_sprts__g_20101117172936.jpg?w=250 Getty Images

If anything, the Jets defense has been known for adjusting.

More adjustments are coming.

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said the Jets are leaning toward making the 4-3 their base defense, and might not play any 3-4 in their six divisional games.

We might not play a snap of base defense in a division game this year,” Pettine told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “If it’s five snaps a game, that’s probably a lot.”

Such wrinkles are customary for Rex Ryan and Pettine, known for throwing curves in terms of alignments. They flooded the field with defensive backs to beat New England in the playoffs, but the reality is they need more pressure, hence the shift. The Jets have ranked 18th, 7th and 17th in sacks under Ryan, hardly the kind of pass-rush to force opponents to move quickly.

Pettine called the line the “foundation and strength of the defense,” but the reality is, playing 4-3 might be as simple as putting their best players on the field. With the emergence of Muhammad Wilkerson and the use of their first-round pick on Quinton Coples, the Jets have more talent and versatilty up front, so that’s how they’ll play.

Transcript: Harris, Cromartie, Moore 6/14/12

by Bassett on June 15th, 2012 at 6:28 am

New York Jets LB David Harris, 6.14

On the defense setting a high standard for itself…

Yeah, it’s a very high bar. But this is New York, there’s a lot of expectations and it’s a tough crowd.

On if he likes the four-man rush looks the defense has been showing…

Yeah, it’s the same defense it’s just that everybody’s in different positions. Quinton Coples, who’s very athletic for his size, he really loves it. With so many different choices in our front four with the things that he’s able to do and he has tremendous upside. Hopefully it’ll carry over into the season.

On how the spring has been for the defense…

I think it’s been a great spring for the defense. I think a lot of the younger guys have stepped up. They stepped into the system, they ask their coaches questions and get up to speed. A lot of guys on defense have made it a goal to become faster and lighter on their feet and better conditioned. They sought that out themselves. I think you have to like what you see by the way we’re practicing.

New York Jets CB Antonio Cromartie, 6.14

On if the performance of the defense now is better than last season…

I am not going to say that it is. Yeah, we finished rough but we said we are a better group than that. We have to play up to the level that we are capable of. I think that is one thing that we are working on this year, communicating what we need to do, flying to the ball, just doing the things that we know how to do best and letting our pass rushers be pass rushers. We are just going out and doing the simple things right now, just trying to put all of the pieces together.

On if going back to Cortland for training camp will be positive for the team…

I definitely think so. I think it is good for us to have a full off-season. I think the rookies got in and they got to run a bit more. They didn’t have to get thrown into the fire. You know what to expect out of everyone right now going into our training camp. I think this is going to help out a lot with the camaraderie of the team as well. Being here last year in New Jersey and having training camp here, it was a lot because we (weren’t around our teammates). Everyone was going home. We didn’t have guys in dorms which changed the camaraderie of our team. I think that is something that Rex is really good at. Like he said he wants to have the pulse of the team.

On wearing a black jersey at practice…

As guys we have talked about it, black with green with a little bit of white, maybe grey in it. I think that would look real good. Mike (Tannenbaum), if you’re listening to this, yeah I just said it. (joking) It’s just a jersey. It’s all about the decal that goes on the helmet and the guys that you play with. If you know a guy is playing 100% for you, you want to give 100%, that’s just the tempo we have been trying to set this off-season.

New York Jets G Brandon Moore, 6.14

On how much the offseason has helped…

It’s good to get some extra time together, especially with a new offense. It kind of sets the stage to be a part of the process to try and be a productive team.

On how good the offense will be down the road…

I mean, we’re in shorts, pajamas as (Tony) Sparano likes to say. We got a lot accomplished. We’ll know more as we go along. You’re only as good as once the season starts and each game you play. I saw some good things on how we can attack people but those are going to come down to execution up front, in the back field, and with the quarterback making decisions and the receivers being where they need to be. That’ll be an indicator.

On how he’s going to get ready for Cortland…

Some rest, conditioning, lifting, getting ready for camp and just enjoying your free time cause you won’t have any for a while. If you feel like it, (spend a) little extra time with your (play) book. Just open it up and keeping things fresh for a little bit. (Just) get away, as coach told me a long time ago, just enjoy your time with your family.

Schwartz: See Ya In Cortland, Jets Fans!

June 15, 2012 9:27 AM

Share this 1View Comments

Share CBS Local with your friends. Add us to your Timeline.What's this?

jets-defense.jpg?w=300

(credit: Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images)

By Peter Schwartz

» More Columns

After putting the wraps on their three day mandatory minicamp, the Jets began their six-week break before they reconvene for training camp.

Aside from Mark Sanchez and the skill position players who will take part in the “Jets West” camp over the summer, the Jets will go their separate ways before the fun starts again at SUNY Cortland on July 26.

At the end of practice on Thursday, head coach Rex Ryan gathered his troops at the middle of the field and conveyed an important message to his team.

“I talked about trying to get in great shape, because I mentioned already today that I want this team to own the fourth quarter,” said Ryan. “That is something that we need to do. And I think you do that by making strides in the offseason with your conditioning, with all those types of things.

He added: “It’s really on them because right now it’s almost like the old college deal about a dead period.”

The Jets coaching staff will not have any contact with the players during this six-week “dead period,” as Ryan put it. So it will be up to each player to stay in shape, remember what they learned during the offseason workouts, OTAs, and minicamp, while also enjoying some time away from football.

“Some rest, conditioning, lifting, getting ready for camp and just enjoying your free time cause you won’t have any for a while,” said guard Brandon Moore. “If you feel like it, (spend a) little extra time with your (play) book. Just open it up and keeping things fresh for a little bit. (Just) get away, as coach told me a long time ago, just enjoy your time with your family.”

And then before you know it, July 26 will arrive and the Jets will make their up to Central New York and check into the dorms at Cortland for training camp. The Jets enjoyed their first training camp experience at SUNY Cortland in 2009 before agreeing to a three-year deal with the school and returning in 2010. Because of the lockout, the Jets were forced to hold training camp at their practice facility in Florham Park last year, so the Jets are now scheduled to be in Cortland this year and the next.

After not having an offseason last year and not getting away for training camp, the Jets are pumped up for a return to Cortland after a successful off-season program.

“I definitely think so,” said cornerback Antonio Cromartie. “I think it is good for us to have a full offseason. I think the rookies got in and they got to run a bit more. They didn’t have to get thrown into the fire. You know what to expect out of everyone right now going into our training camp. I think this is going to help out a lot with the camaraderie of the team as well.

“Being here last year in New Jersey and having training camp here, it hurt us a lot because we didn’t have the guys around as much as possible. Everyone was going home. We didn’t have guys in dorms which changed the camaraderie of our team. I think that is something that Rex is really good at. Like he said he wants to have the pulse of the team.”

While the Jets are happy to be getting back to training camp away from home, they are hoping that everyone will be picking up their dorm keys on July 26. Two years ago, HBO’s Hard Knocks showed that there was one envelope left in the box after all of the players checked in. That was because Darrelle Revis had decided to hold out of training camp due to of a contract dispute.

Two years later, Rex Ryan could very well be walking around the dorms saying, “Revis, where are you?” as the cornerback is once again looking for a new deal. There are two years left on the deal that he signed back then, but after earning $32.5 million over the first two seasons, his salary drops to $7.5 million this year.

So far, Revis is not saying if he’ll show up for camp or not. It’s believed that after the two sides agreed to what has been called a “Band-Aid” contract two years ago, the Jets promised Revis that they would revisit a long term deal this year.

It appears as if the Jets may have reneged on their promise and that may be why Revis is unhappy. It could also be the constant questioning about the contract issue from reporters.

“Nothing is bothering me,” said Revis on Thursday. “You guys (the media) are bothering me. I’m just here working and I’m here throughout OTA’s and minicamp.”

But no assurances for training camp.

This really could get ugly again. So far, Revis’ agents Neil Schwartz and Jonathon Feinsod have been quiet, but that could change if there aren’t any discussions about a new deal, or if Revis doesn’t get the sit-down that he desires with Woody Johnson, Mike Tannenbaum, and Rex Ryan.

GANG BLACK?

As I stepped onto the field on Thursday for the final day of minicamp, I immediately noticed that the Jets’ defensive players were wearing black practice jerseys. The first thing that came to my mind was that this was a precursor to the Jets introducing a third jersey at some point. But as it turns out, Ryan was stealing an idea from offensive coordinator Tony Sparano from his days as head coach of the Dolphins.

“(Sparano) put a team in a different color jersey,” said Ryan. “So whatever the emphasis is, like in training camp, let’s say we have a red zone emphasis, ball security (emphasis), trying to create turnovers from scrimmage (emphasis) or something like that, the group that I think did the best in the drill, I’ll put that unit in the black jerseys the next practice. That’s where it started. I put it on the defense today because I’m a defensive guy. That’s why they were out there with them today. It’s just a little fun thing that will maybe pick up the practice and stuff like that. It makes them think of what the emphases are. That’s a good idea, so that’s why we broke out the jerseys (Thursday).”

The defensive players were stunned when they saw the black jerseys hanging in their lockers.

As it turns out, they loved it.

“As guys we have talked about it, black with green with a little bit of white, maybe grey in it,” said Cromartie. “I think that would look real good. Mike (Tannenbaum), if you’re listening to this, yeah I just said it. (joking) It’s just a jersey. It’s all about the decal that goes on the helmet and the guys that you play with. If you know a guy is playing 100% for you, you want to give 100%, that’s just the tempo we have been trying to set this offseason.”

It might be the Oliver Stone in me, but I smell a marketing ploy. With Nike taking over the NFL uniforms, I wouldn’t be shocked if the Jets, somewhere down the road, introduced an alternate jersey with black in it. I haven’t been told anything. Just a gut feeling.

REX HITTING THE ROAD

Jets head coach Rex Ryan is taking advantage of the six-week break so that he can take a little vacation with his wife. Ryan’s better half put the trip together and it appears as if Rex would have preferred alternate destinations.

“I’m going to Paris for three days and Prague for three days. My wife is making me go. I mean, I should say I’m going. (laughing) The outlaws (jokingly referring to his in-laws) are not going on this one, so it could have been worse. It could have been worse. So I have that trip. I can’t wait for that.

Anyway, one of these days I’m going to do something that I want to do, one of these days. I’m sure, just like every other man in here that’s married…we do what the wives tell us.”

Rex, I completely understand what you’re saying and you’re right. However, marriage is about compromise so just try to enjoy some time away with your wife. But for your next vacation, you have to put your foot down and go where you want to go! Don’t tip-toe around the subject with her either.

Give yourself some time to get a leg up on the situation and pick a place that you would like to visit.

PACK FOR SUMMER CAMP

Looking for a pretty cool summer getaway?

How about Central New York?

The Jets have announced some important dates for 2012 training camp. The players will report to SUNY Cortland on July 26 and their first practice will be on July 27. The first practice open to the public will be on Saturday July 28, so if you want to escape for a summer football weekend, gas up the car, book a hotel and head up to Cortland to see Gang Green.

Gang Green nation will get to see the Jets in action during training camp at three different sites. In addition to Cortland, the Jets will return to their former long-time training camp at Hofstra University on Long Island for a Family Night practice on Tuesday August 21. The Jets will also hold a portion of their training camp at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center on Thursday August 23 and Friday August 24.

At each training camp location, fans can enjoy Jets Fest, a football theme park with skill challenges and inflatable rides. They can also pick up Jets Gear at the Jets Shop Merchandise Tent. Visit www.newyorkjets.com for more information in the coming weeks.

That’s all for now everyone. Check back soon for more as we’ll continue to follow the Revis saga, Jets West and any other Jets news that pops up before training camp. You can follow me on Twitter @pschwartzwfan.

Rex, I completely understand what you’re saying and you’re right. However, marriage is about compromise so just try to enjoy some time away with your wife. But for your next vacation, you have to put your foot down and go where you want to go! Don’t tip-toe around the subject with her either.

Give yourself some time to get a leg up on the situation and pick a place that you would like to visit.

This guy is not so good with the foot fetish jokes... [-X

Time to Power Down? Thomas Isn’t Letting Up

Posted by Randy Lange on June 15, 2012 – 9:43 am

Now begins the time on the NFL calendar for players to power down, recharge and gear up for the hard six or seventh months ahead.

With the end of the Jets’ minicamp, said veteran guard Brandon Moore, it’s time for “some rest, conditioning, lifting, getting ready for camp and just enjoying your free time because you won’t have any for a while. If you feel like it, a little extra time with your [play]book, just open it up and keep things fresh for a little bit. Get away. As a coach told me a long time ago, just enjoy your time with your family.”

Most players have already begun doing just that. But one Jets vet, even more senior than Moore, will be bucking the trend.

My intention from day one of camp is to be back 100 percent, not taking any drills off, going through everything at 100 percent full speed,” said linebacker Bryan Thomas. “So that’s why I’m going to pretty much stay here the whole time.

“I pretty much go home every now and then at this time of year,” he added, “but this is new for me.

You want to get away, enjoy your family, enjoy your kids. This is not something I normally do.”

BT has been making fine strides from last year’s Achilles tear at Baltimore and the subsequent surgery and rehab. He did participate in the minicamp on a limited basis.

“Bryan was in for pass drills only, but he took a couple of snaps with the team as well,” head coach Rex Ryan said. “He actually looked good running around, so that was encouraging.”

“Over these three days of the minicamp, I got some good work in. I felt pretty good,” Thomas said. “Hopefully I’ll be 100 percent once I come back, pretty much just trying be 100 percent so I can do all the drills and not limited drills.”

Thomas has been a steady performer for the Jets since they made him the 22nd overall pick of the 2002 draft out of Alabama-Birmingham. He’s had 31 career sacks, six fumbles forced and six recovered, his first pro interception in the Jets’ most recent playoff game at Pittsburgh in the 2010

AFC title game, and 438 tackles.

He had played in 124 consecutive games, including playoffs, until going down against the Ravens last year. It was natural speculation —and Thomas even said the thought crossed his mind as well — that his Jets career and maybe his NFL career might have just ended.

That’s not the way Ryan, Mike Tannenbaum and the Jets saw it. They re-signed him in March, knowing the hard work he’d put in to get back to contributing to the defensive effort.

Thomas riffed on the Ryan/Mike Pettine scheme that he’ll be entering for the fourth season.

“I love it. I wouldn’t change anything about it. You can’t help but love it,” he said. “Pretty much all the guys, you have so many different things you have to learn. That’s what’s so unique about it. You’re not just stationary. Some defenses, you might see the right end just comes out at right end the whole time.

“This defense is multiple — multiple personnel, multiple formations — and you can’t help but love it.

I’ve been here for four years. I love the defensive staff’s coaching style, just their attitude toward things. We’ve brought in a new D-line coach, Karl Dunbar. He’s been great. I get to work with him a little. He’s been very informative. And Mike Smith, he’s with the outside linebackers full-time now.

He’s doing a really good job.”

Thomas is doing well as well. Will he be full-go for Cortland in late July? Will he retain his starting job? Will there be bumps in the road for BT on the way to Buffalo on opening day?

That remains to be seen. But for the next five weeks, Thomas will be at his North Jersey home away from home, chilling a little yet working a lot toward his 100 percent goal.

Rex Ryan Talks to Kenrick Ellis Before Ellis Starts Jail Term

Jun 15th, 2012 at 10:30 amby Alan SchechterJets

Home » Jets » Rex Ryan Talks to Kenrick Ellis Before Ellis Starts Jail Term

Pin It

5631160-300x199.jpg?24478c

Kenrick Ellis showed a lot of promise during minicamp. Now he is off to serve his prison sentence.

After entering a plea agreement last month, Ellis is scheduled to serve his agreed upon prison sentence today, stemming from a misdemeanor assualt and battery case from 2010. The sentence is scheduled to end on July 26th, 3 days after the Jets report to training camp in Cortland, NY.

Kenrick has been reluctant to talk about the case after entering the plea agreement, advising that he was happy the case was settled, and didn’t want to think about it. Here is what he had to say about being able to maintain his conditioning while in prison.

“Conditioning is a major part of playing in the NFL. I’ll just try to get in better shape,” Ellis said, adding, “I’m just going to do my best to show up here and contribute to the team.”

Rex Ryan has praised the work that Kenrick Ellis has put in, calling him one of the players that has improved the most this offseason. According to Ryan, he couldn’t do a pull up, now he can do ten sets of 10, with a 35 pound weight tied around him. Clearly his strength has improved.

Coach Ryan talked with his young lineman before he left to serve his sentence.

“I have conversations with a lot of our players, but obviously that’s a different situation. But I definitely talked to him,” Ryan said. “There are people that have gone through similar things, and I basically said, ‘Lean on each other.’ That’s pretty much it.”

Rex feels that Kenrick Ellis is a “strong man”, and this will help him get through his sentence. He knows that Ellis has worked very hard, and is excited about the new season, which will drive him.

Here’s to wishing Ellis the very best as he gets through his 45 day sentence, and puts his past behind him and moves forward into 2012.

Little or No Hesitation

by Bassett on June 15th, 2012 at 10:00 am

In the weight room this offseason the Jets defense has done the work to get “one step faster” but apparently that mindset also can apply to the playbook. While Ryan likes to keep his defense simple, he and Pettine went through the playbook to trim out plays that could potentially cause players any delay in reading and reacting.

Linebacker David Harris explained it as “taking the hesitation out.” The goal is for players to play fast, which means there may be less reads on a play or less emphasis on getting into the so-called perfect call.

The defense’s offseason objective of “one step faster” is applied mentally, not just physically.

“Last year, we were a victim of thinking too much,” linebacker Bart Scott said. “Taking the gray out has allowed us to play fast. Everything we do is going to be moving fast, just like we did our first year.”

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine said the coaches’ offseason project was to go through the playbook page by page, comparing the tape and the playbook drawings. He asked each position coach, “What in your area is gray? What do your players hesitate on?”

Taking coverage out of the picture, since the Jets excel at that, let’s focus on their front seven. I’m very curious to see how this changes what the Jets actually do on defense and whether it gives the Jets or their opponents the advantage. One of the big things that Ryan talked about during his arrival was the ability of players to swap out coverages and responsibilities to keep opponents guessing. Does this mean that some of that goes away? The Jets defense was simplest in 2009 and probably played the best during the three years of Ryan’s tenure … but let’s be clear it’s not like the defense has been all that bad in recent years.

Still, if the coaches are removing any potential delay or hesitation on behalf of the players … maybe the defense will be “two steps faster” coupled with the offseason workouts the players have been doing? The Jets ranked 17th overall in total sacks (35) last season, but it’s their adjusted sack rate that matters since the D is pretty good at getting off the field … in that, Football Outsiders ranked them as 12th overall (7.3%). The hope here is that adding the players they have in Coples and Davis, with the jump we all expect from MoWilk, the upgrades at the safety position (in terms of run and rush responsibilities) and then the conditioning of the rest of the team (ie Scott) could pay some real dividends on this team.

Thanks captain Flgreen, lol. Im excited to see the defense at full strength and in pads for TC and preseason. We are very deep at just about every position in the front 7 and at safety now, and Pettine and Ryan have all the tools they need to do their thing with the creative game plans and packages. If we can get production out of guys like Kenrick Ellis and Bryan Thomas in limited roles this year, this D has the potential to be scary good. And by scary, I do mean scary.... People now are talking about getting back to the D we had in 09. If it lives up to potential, by mid season people will be comparing us to the 2000 Ravens or the 86 Bears. Its that good

Sister of Jets' Mangold confirms he won't attend Olympics

By Nate Davis, USA TODAY

Updated 45m ago

Evidently Rex Ryan couldn't change Nick Mangold's mind.

Team USA weightlifter Holley Mangold confirms that her brother, who doubles as an all-pro center for the New York Jets, will not leave training camp this summer to watch her personally compete in the Summer Olympics in London.

holleyx-inset-community.jpg

CAPTION

By Jim Cowsert, US Presswire

"He's not going to come," Holley Mangold tells USA TODAY Sports' Robert Klemko.

"It's not that he doesn't want to go, (but) football is my brother's life. You wouldn't see me missing training or a big meet to watch one of his games. I know it's different because it's the Olympics. But (camp is) a big part of their season, especially with a new quarterback in town."

Maybe Holley knows something about the Jets' plans for Tim Tebow that we don't?

Moving on ... Ryan, the Jets' head coach, had given Nick Mangold his blessing to take a camp hiatus to watch his sister in person.

"It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see your sister do something that is absolutely incredible -- competing against the world's best in a weightlifting competition I think would be incredible. I know that if I was in a similar situation, I would want to see my brother in a weightlifting contest," said Ryan earlier this month.

"I just wanted to make sure, 'Hey, look, I know how important this season is, this game is, our football team is, but there's other things that are equally as important, maybe more important in the big picture of things.' "

Be that as it may, Holley Mangold supports her brother's decision to root for her from afar.

"It doesn't feel like he supports me any less," she said. "He wants to be there. But my brother has always had a huge sense of team and leadership, and he would feel like he was letting the team down if he went to London, no matter what his coach says."

Sister of Jets' Mangold confirms he won't attend Olympics

By Nate Davis, USA TODAY

Updated 45m ago

Evidently Rex Ryan couldn't change Nick Mangold's mind.

Team USA weightlifter Holley Mangold confirms that her brother, who doubles as an all-pro center for the New York Jets, will not leave training camp this summer to watch her personally compete in the Summer Olympics in London.

holleyx-inset-community.jpg

the Jets' plans for
Tim Tebow
that we don't?

Moving on ... Ryan, the Jets' head coach,
had given Nick Mangold his blessing to take a camp hiatus
to watch his sister in person.

"It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see your sister do something that is absolutely incredible -- competing against the world's best in a weightlifting competition I think would be incredible. I know that if I was in a similar situation, I would want to see my brother in a weightlifting contest," said Ryan earlier this month.

"I just wanted to make sure, 'Hey, look, I know how important this season is, this game is, our football team is, but there's other things that are equally as important, maybe more important in the big picture of things.' "

Be that as it may, Holley Mangold supports her brother's decision to root for her from afar.

"It doesn't feel like he supports me any less," she said. "He wants to be there. But my brother has always had a huge sense of team and leadership, and he would feel like he was letting the team down if he went to London, no matter what his coach says."

I just don't get it why the Jets don't sign this girl as their RT.

Maybe that's the secret plan. After the Olympics?

Tim Tebow, NY Jets’ backup quarterback, to deliver Father’s Day sermon at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego

Expected big crowd prompts church to move sermon to football stadium

Comments

By Joe Jenkins / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Friday, June 15, 2012, 3:41 PM

Print

image.jpg

Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News

New Jets’ QB Tim Tebow is looking to point Gang Green’s offense in a new direction this season.

The last time Jets backup quarterback Tim Tebow was at Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, he was leading the Broncos to an overtime victory over the Chargers, 16-13. On Father's Day, he'll return to deliver a sermon.

The service will be hosted by the Shadow Mountain Community Church, which is expecting Tebow's sermon to draw tens of thousands. The potential turnout is what prompted the church to move the service out of their facility and into the 70,000-seat football stadium.

Tebow's sermon is expected to encourage "men to live, love and lead." Pastor David Jeremiah from the Community Church will conduct the service.

"He passionately lives out his faith every day, both publicly and privately," Jeremiah said in a statement. "Tim gives Christ the glory and honor at every turn and he embraces the label 'role model' in this time when most athletes shun the title."

In April, Tebow delivered an Easter sermon to over 15,000 people at Celebration Church in Georgetown, Texas.

The devout Christian was traded to the Jets in March for a fourth and sixth-round pick in this year's NFL draft. Tebow took the helm of the Broncos' offense last season and led Denver to the playoffs and a stunning OT upset of the Pittsburgh Steelers in an AFC Wild Card game.

Since arriving in New York, Tebow has garnered more attention than one might expect for a backup quarterback. In the process, it has sparked a bit of a quarterback controversy with incumbent Mark Sanchez.

Despite the controversy, head coach Rex Ryan has made it clear that Sanchez is the starter and Tebow the number two. During minicamp this week Tebow took all of his reps with the second team.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/tim-tebow-ny-jets-backup-quarterback-deliver-father-day-sermon-qualcomm-stadium-san-diego-article-1.1096488#ixzz1xtn0o2EB

Archived