Gronk may start season on PUP. Article

eboozer

That would help us on that Thursday night game.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2013/08/04/patriots-rob-gronkowski-book-provides-valuable-insight-into-his-rehab-from-back-surgery/3nc8zghoIIDWn3gAAeexGI/story.html?camp=misc:patriots&S

Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski’s book provides valuable insight into his rehab from back surgery
By Ben Volin / Globe Staff /

August 4, 2013

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

LinkedIn

Tight end Rob Gronkowski has almost become a forgotten member of the Patriots as he rehabs from back surgery and sits out training camp. He has attended practices most days in street clothes, but the Patriots won’t make him available to the media until he comes off the physically unable to perform list, which could be any time in training camp (highly doubtful), before Week 1 (possible) or after missing six regular games, by rule (more likely).

How is Gronk doing in his rehab, and when will he be back on the field? We won’t hear anything from him or the Patriots, but fortunately, his newly released book, “Growing Up Gronk” with Jeff Schober, gives us a pretty good idea of what he’s going through right now and when he will return.

Gronkowski had surgery to repair a herniated disk on June 18, performed by Dr. Robert Watkins in Los Angeles. It’s the same surgery he had in September 2009 when he was at the University of Arizona, also performed by Watkins. Given that, it’s safe to assume that the rehab procedure this time is similar to the one he went through almost four years ago. This coming Tuesday will mark exactly seven weeks since Gronk’s surgery.

Here’s what we know about his first surgery and rehab in 2009:

When he first got out of surgery, “he felt like an anchor was strapped to his back,” Schober wrote. “Movements were limited and tentative. A sudden shift drew sharp daggers raking against his spine.”

“His body needed to remain straight and avoid sideways movements for six weeks afterward.”

“I just chilled for a month and a half, sitting on the couch,” Gronkowski said. “That’s basically all you can do.”

“Once you have back surgery, you have to lay off,” said his father, Gordy Gronkowski. “You need to stay still for three weeks. You can walk, but never bend. You can’t turn. You get out of bed a certain way.”

Gronk’s oldest brother, Gordie, also suffered a herniated disk while playing baseball at Jacksonville University. But the strength coaches there put him back in the weight room too soon, and his back problems persisted for several more years.

“This idiot put him on weights right away,” said the father, Gordy. “You don’t strengthen a disk. It’s not a muscle. You got to let the damn thing heal totally and then work on core strength. Stretch the hamstrings. This guy had him doing stupid things that didn’t help.”

After being holed up for a month and a half, Rob finally was able to do back and core exercises, which “helped minimize the setbacks and flare-ups,” Schober wrote.

One troubling aspect – Gronk was not fully healed to participate at the NFL Combine, which occurred at the end of February, five months after his surgery.

Finally, on March 27, Gronk and his brother, Chris, held their own Pro Day on Arizona’s campus.

“We killed it that day,” Chris said. “We caught every pass and ran so hard we were about to throw up. We really got after it. Rob had on his blocking pads and I ran at him at full speed, then we switched. I was trying to drill him as hard as I could.”

The Patriots’ first game of the regular season is Sept. 8, two days less than 12 full weeks out of surgery. While it is possible that Gronk could return for Week 1, the likeliest and most prudent course of action appears to be keeping him on PUP to start the season and having him miss the first six games, especially considering the four forearm surgeries he has also endured over the past year.

The Patriots need Gronk at the end of the season, and for several more years to come, more than they need him early in the 2013 season. And the last thing they want to do is put him back on the field too soon and have him suffer another injury, to his back or otherwise.

Ben Volin can be reached at ben.volin@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @BenVolin

I am having visions of 2006 all over again, when the Pats passing offense was led by Reche Caldwell and a stone-handed but athletic Benjamin Watson.  This is hopefully just me being paranoid, as reports out of camp (for whatever they are worth) are that Amendola is performing well, as are the rookie WRs.

They still have Brady though, so there is really no excuse not to at least make the playoffs if he is healthy.

I am having visions of 2006 all over again, when the Pats passing offense was led by Reche Caldwell and a stone-handed but athletic Benjamin Watson.  This is hopefully just me being paranoid, as reports out of camp (for whatever they are worth) are that Amendola is performing well, as are the rookie WRs.

They still have Brady though, so there is really no excuse not to at least make the playoffs if he is healthy.

Danny has to stay healthy though. 

I am having visions of 2006 all over again, when the Pats passing offense was led by Reche Caldwell and a stone-handed but athletic Benjamin Watson. This is hopefully just me being paranoid, as reports out of camp (for whatever they are worth) are that Amendola is performing well, as are the rookie WRs.

I know we route for opposite teams but I'm praying for you bud. 2006 was a nightmare, you guys only went 12-6. I wouldn't wish another season like that on my wrost enemy, you guys have had it pretty rough.

Archived