ylekram's mock offseason

ylekram

The NFLPA doesn't let players voluntarily "give back" money. Sanchez would have to be cut first.

They actually recognized how historically bad he was and have made a special exception, allowing him to give every cent back that he never earned.

The NFL, however, because of all the added publicity, and exposure they received from the BUTT FUMBLE, has agreed to make up the difference.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know where that idea is coming from, but lots of people have said stuff like that. Yet the Seahawks have been active in free agency and in trades. In recent years, they have traded for Lynch (big name) and Harvin (also big name), signed Flynn (big name at the time), and they have made other big pickups I can't remember off the top of my head.

Of course, Idzik was not even the GM so who knows what his take on all of that was?

However, we shouldn't be basing anything off of his lack of activity last off-season, since the Jets were up against the cap. This year, they aren't.

Also, I disagree with you about not wanting to sign big ticket FAs. There's nothing wrong with it. It just has to be a part of your broader approach, not your entire approach as it was for Tannenbaum.

What he said

Like the Benjamin pick, hate the FA pickups and it is not Idzik's style. Big ticket FA is NOT the way to build a team

like others have said, we don't know what idzik style is. he took over a team strapped for cash, depleted of talent, and had player problems. I would like to see what he can do with loads of cash and 12 draft picks. then we might have a better understanding of what idzik's style is. the jets will have free agency money, and spend it he will.

I believe a mark of a good gm is not to have any particular style at all. he needs to utilize all the cards in his deck when the opportunity, value, & timing is right

trade up for players in the draft that he feels will significantly help the team

trade down in the draft when the value is not there

stay put in the draft and grab the best player available

stay put in the draft and reach a little if the position is of need and the value is close

trade draft picks for quality, young players of need

trade jets players for draft picks if the situation presents itself to better the team

extend players when needed and balk at players who demand $ when its not right for the team

sign big ticket players when the opportunity is right

sign mid range/low end players when the free agency smoke clears

building your team thru the draft is one of the better cards to play from your deck, but not the only one that should be used

a good gm makes his team better for the present and thru the future using any means neccessary

Archived