S Louis Delmas Cut. Could be a good signing if #'s right

eboozer

YES, to all 3 scenarios. In a HEARTBEAT

#1, I don't think Coach Fisher is willing to start over with a rookie and hope he's a quality starter. Bradford when healthy, and when not chased all over the football field, has shown himself to be a good QB. They have a lot of talent on that team and sooner than later Fisher will be expected to put a winner on the field. Bradford is also owed $34,000,000  over the next 2 seasons! You're trading a 2nd rd pick and taking on $34 mil??? Big gamble!

#2 Trading pick 18, 49 & 69 would get you up to #7 on the draft board if the Buccaneers want to trade out (including getting back their own #3 pick) or if Johnny or Teddy are even there at that point.  Are you willing to trade your 2015 first rd. pick? You've basically left the Jets very little ability to upgrade their talent at multiple positions moving forward.

#3 Sign Vick and Maclin.... I think we finally can agree on something. The only way I sign Vick is on a low guaranteed deal with incentives. If he wins starters job,

$1 mil bonus, plays 16 games, $1 mil bonus, gets us to playoffs, $1 mil bonus; wins playoff game.... yada, yada. Sign him to a 2 yr. $8 mil deal and go from there.

#1, I don't think Coach Fisher is willing to start over with a rookie and hope he's a quality starter. Bradford when healthy, and when not chased all over the football field, has shown himself to be a good QB. They have a lot of talent on that team and sooner than later Fisher will be expected to put a winner on the field. Bradford is also owed $34,000,000  over the next 2 seasons! You're trading a 2nd rd pick and taking on $34 mil??? Big gamble!

#2 Trading pick 18, 49 & 69 would get you up to #7 on the draft board if the Buccaneers want to trade out (including getting back their own #3 pick) or if Johnny or Teddy are even there at that point.  Are you willing to trade your 2015 first rd. pick? You've basically left the Jets very little ability to upgrade their talent at multiple positions moving forward.

#3 Sign Vick and Maclin.... I think we finally can agree on something. The only way I sign Vick is on a low guaranteed deal with incentives. If he wins starters job,

$1 mil bonus, plays 16 games, $1 mil bonus, gets us to playoffs, $1 mil bonus; wins playoff game.... yada, yada. Sign him to a 2 yr. $8 mil deal and go from there.

Again, YES to all 3, in less than a HEARTBEAT.

All Three options make the Jets instant contenders, and then need to just fill in with draft picks and FA.

Alternative, Stay with GENO and PRAY for a miracle. We used up our ONE Miracle January 12th, 1969. Time to forget miracles and get a Real QB.

Again, YES to all 3, in less than a HEARTBEAT.

All Three options make the Jets instant contenders, and then need to just fill in with draft picks and FA.

Alternative, Stay with GENO and PRAY for a miracle. We used up our ONE Miracle January 12th, 1969. Time to forget miracles and get a Real QB.

Gonna' start calling you "Little Mikey T." Glad your on the forums! :animal0029:

So what do you propose, Sperm? I honestly am curious how you would approach this whole QB dilemma? Do you trade up and get a QB? Do you trade for Cousins? Give Simms a turn at the wheel?

We're in deep doo-doo if Geno does not progress this year. We have enough collateral to make things better this off season.... but like you said, we need better play from the QB spot.

I'd still like Geno Smith to suddenly "get it" and there is a decent chance that happens.  He had more going on in his head than the average rookie QB since he was, in some ways, learning to play QB.  So it wouldn't surprise me for his growth curve to be steeper than most.  And while the receivers don't make the QB - a crappy QB is a crappy QB - our receivers in 2013 didn't make his job any easier.  That is what I want to happen.  

However, as pretend-GM for 5 minutes I wouldn't risk the whole season on what I want to happen.  There are over 50 other players who will be on the active roster over the course of the season, and dozens more who won't make it, risking (and suffering) serious injury, and countless hours of practice and coaching and gameplanning and conditioning for the 2014 Jets.  So in addition to bringing back Geno (and I suppose Simms but I'm not privy to how much the coaches actually liked him and how much they were just being nice; he's probably terrible), I'd bring in 2 more:

1. The best non-Vick veteran QB I can get my hands on.  Unless there's something I'm missing, there are no QBs like available in free agency or via trade that I can say "OK I'm done with the #1 and #2 QB positions for the next 2 seasons minimum."  I'm re-reading more lunacy above about trading a 2 and a 3 for Bradford, as though St Louis would even trade him for our 1 and our 3.  They took him #1 in the country, passed on drafting RGIII or anyone else before he was decent, and stuck with him through growing pains and injury.  And now when it seems he is turning the corner they're going to dump him for a mid-2 and a mid-3 so they can begin the process all over again with someone who isn't the prospect Bradford was coming out? LOL.  At some point, fans have to realize other teams' goals is not to help the Jets find a QB.

Most likely this player is Matt Schaub.  He was so awful last year, but the year before that he was in the pro bowl.  Who knows the reason why.  Regardless, he is not the unserious QB competition we've seen on the Jets since Testaverde/Pennington (which itself wasn't really serious competition in the offseason in any of Pennington's first 3 NFL seasons; Vinny was the unquestioned starter until the day he got benched in 2002).  If Schaub is unavailable or his demands are unrealistic (like 8 figures unrealistic) then I'd look to McCown or Hill.  I would rather watch Geno Smith throw left-handed for 16 games, with a a backup plan of Mark Sanchez also throwing left-handed, before I'd cheer on Michael Vick.

2. Draft.  I'd like to think that QB would be taken in the first 3 rounds but I don't know who is going to be available when.  I'm not big on trading up, but I would do it for a QB.  Ideally a good prospect would be available to us even as late as round 3 and I can still look at a WR or TE in rounds 1 or 2, and maybe a DB or LBer.  Basically I can't say which round I'd take a QB in because I don't know who will be available to us at or near our pick, and I don't know who I expect will still be available to us in rounds 2-4.  Saying "take a QB in round 1" without saying who is just mindless and lazy.  You take a player, not the idea of a player.  

They haven't even had the combine yet so it's premature to say who will be drafted when.  This time in 2008 Mark Sanchez was no lock to get taken in the top 20.  Tannenbaum ended up trading up to #5 to get him.  A year before him, in mid-February Joe Flacco was a 3rd round prospect.  Ditto Jay Cutler in '06.  Both went in the top 20 and Cutler 1 pick outside the top 10 (in what was considered a sickly-deep draft).  Other guys get ruined by the combine.  There's talk of Manziel going as high as #1.  I'll tell you what, if he measures out at 5'11" or shorter at the combine he's probably dropping out of round 1 no matter how much success Russell Wilson's had.  Only his celebrity would give him a shot at going top 30.  So I'm not picking who I'd take in which round because I don't know where anyone's likely to get taken.

Archived