Five Things We Can Deduce from Tuesday's Press Conference

Seth

Five Things We Can Deduce from Wednesday's Press Conference

By Seth.P on Jan 21 2015, 12:38p + Edit Entry

995-1nkRP1.AuSt.55.0.jpeg

Introductory press conferences in the NFL rarely offer substantial information, especially when it pertains to executives, or coaches. Nonetheless, as journalists, and fans we are inclined to extrapolate any tidbits of information we can possibly deduce from those introduced. Here are some things as a fan-base we learned, and can expect from our two new fearless leaders.

A CEO approach to coaching: It remains to be seen if this ideology will come to fruition, but Head Coach Todd Bowles was emphatic that he will maintain a strong grasp on the defense, offense, and special teams. This was quite refreshing to hear, because one of the most significant criticisms about Rex Ryan was his inability to evolve from a glorified defensive coordinator. This approach is invaluable, as the head coach on any given team is ultimately responsible for the success, or failure from all aspects of the game, and it is therefore crucial; the coach has sufficient knowledge of the game-plan for those aforementioned facets.

An equal, and synchronous relationship between Maccagnan, and Bowles: I found it incredibly interesting the Jets withheld a press conference for new Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan, until an official contract was signed with Bowles (though Maccagnan’s hiring was not officially announced until the same day as Bowles, he was involved with his interview, which essentially confirms his hiring was completed for several days). I presume owner Woody Johnson was emphasizing the point of both men being in an equal partnership to improve this team, and they will share an equal amount of the praise, or blame. It is no secret that John Idzik, and Rex Ryan were on different philosophical tracks for the organization, which was a primary reason the Jets failed miserably last season. In addition, during the post-season press conference several weeks ago; Johnson stressed the importance of the general manager, and head-coach working together harmoniously. Maccagnan, and Bowles regurgitated this message numerous times today, and established its importance.

No commitment to Geno Smith as the starting quarterback: This is not necessarily surprising, but I found it telling that the strongest compliment Smith received all day was from Bowles, who proclaimed he was "a great college quarterback." I suspect we should anticipate a legitimate starting quarterback competition during training camp, but Smith still should be considered the favorite to secure the position at this juncture.

Building through the draft: Maccagnan affirmed his stance of the draft being the appropriate way to build a successful organization, but free-agency is still a critical resource to be tapped into. According to overthecap.com, The Jets have approximately forty-eight million dollars in cap-space currently; of which eighty-nine percent of the space must be used (I recommend this article from Dawgs By Nature to gain a better grasp of how the rule operates). It is worth noting that Idzik maintained a similar stance apropos of the draft, but obviously he lacked the personnel experience that Maccagnan has obtained over his twenty years of scouting, and presumably relied tremendously on failed ex-Jets executive Terry Bradway.

Players should be prepared for a massive culture change: This was essentially the message Bowles articulated, as he stated "We have to teach them our culture, not that the other culture was bad, but it didn't win. Our culture will be to try to instill different things in them from a winning organization's point of view to make us go forward and make the playoffs." Moreover, Bowles emphasized the notion of placing players in a position they can succeed, but there will be expectations to successfully complete their jobs, and being able to approach a specific player in any manner, as long as they understand it is not personal.

There are a multitude of other things that can be analyzed, and discussed, but from my perspective; the crux of what to expect from the new regime is embedded in the points above. Here is to hoping these two men can lead us to ultimate glory!

Five Things We Can Deduce from Wednesday's Press Conference

By Seth.P on Jan 21 2015, 12:38p + Edit Entry

995-1nkRP1.AuSt.55.0.jpeg

Introductory press conferences in the NFL rarely offer substantial information, especially when it pertains to executives, or coaches. Nonetheless, as journalists, and fans we are inclined to extrapolate any tidbits of information we can possibly deduce from those introduced. Here are some things as a fan-base we learned, and can expect from our two new fearless leaders.

A CEO approach to coaching: It remains to be seen if this ideology will come to fruition, but Head Coach Todd Bowles was emphatic that he will maintain a strong grasp on the defense, offense, and special teams. This was quite refreshing to hear, because one of the most significant criticisms about Rex Ryan was his inability to evolve from a glorified defensive coordinator. This approach is invaluable, as the head coach on any given team is ultimately responsible for the success, or failure from all aspects of the game, and it is therefore crucial; the coach has sufficient knowledge of the game-plan for those aforementioned facets.

An equal, and synchronous relationship between Maccagnan, and Bowles: I found it incredibly interesting the Jets withheld a press conference for new Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan, until an official contract was signed with Bowles (though Maccagnan’s hiring was not officially announced until the same day as Bowles, he was involved with his interview, which essentially confirms his hiring was completed for several days). I presume owner Woody Johnson was emphasizing the point of both men being in an equal partnership to improve this team, and they will share an equal amount of the praise, or blame. It is no secret that John Idzik, and Rex Ryan were on different philosophical tracks for the organization, which was a primary reason the Jets failed miserably last season. In addition, during the post-season press conference several weeks ago; Johnson stressed the importance of the general manager, and head-coach working together harmoniously. Maccagnan, and Bowles regurgitated this message numerous times today, and established its importance.

No commitment to Geno Smith as the starting quarterback: This is not necessarily surprising, but I found it telling that the strongest compliment Smith received all day was from Bowles, who proclaimed he was "a great college quarterback." I suspect we should anticipate a legitimate starting quarterback competition during training camp, but Smith still should be considered the favorite to secure the position at this juncture.

Building through the draft: Maccagnan affirmed his stance of the draft being the appropriate way to build a successful organization, but free-agency is still a critical resource to be tapped into. According to overthecap.com, The Jets have approximately forty-eight million dollars in cap-space currently; of which eighty-nine percent of the space must be used (I recommend this article from Dawgs By Nature to gain a better grasp of how the rule operates). It is worth noting that Idzik maintained a similar stance apropos of the draft, but obviously he lacked the personnel experience that Maccagnan has obtained over his twenty years of scouting, and presumably relied tremendously on failed ex-Jets executive Terry Bradway.

Players should be prepared for a massive culture change: This was essentially the message Bowles articulated, as he stated "We have to teach them our culture, not that the other culture was bad, but it didn't win. Our culture will be to try to instill different things in them from a winning organization's point of view to make us go forward and make the playoffs." Moreover, Bowles emphasized the notion of placing players in a position they can succeed, but there will be expectations to successfully complete their jobs, and being able to approach a specific player in any manner, as long as they understand it is not personal.

There are a multitude of other things that can be analyzed, and discussed, but from my perspective; the crux of what to expect from the new regime is embedded in the points above. Here is to hoping these two men can lead us to ultimate glory!

#6   -  Todd Bowles sounds a lot like Tony Gwynn..........

Archived