I'd much prefer a DB from NE not named Revis

Sully28

So McCourty is staying because he loves NE? I mean I just don't get the logic there, the Pats may not be willing to give McCourty, Kam Chancellor money, after giving Revis Peterson money. You act as if McCourty will play for 500K a year because he loves NE, if he feels he could garner 3-4 million a year more on the open market, he'll leave. I realize you're a Pat fan and hate the idea of a losing a good player, but it could very well happen. You saying McCourty is staying like it's fact isn't going to change this. So far I've heard the Pats are trying very hard to re-sign Revis and virtually nothing about them trying to re-sign McCourty, it seems Revis is their priority (from the outside looking of course).

First of all. Stop me if you never heard a player staying with the team that drafted him? (Hines Ward n Larry fitz) so how can you not understand that logic when it happens in sports quite a bit.

2nd. Who said anything about the Pats offering 500k or after/if the pats are to sign Revis they would only have 500k or something really low to offer him??

And the cap is going up this coming season. So don't become shocked to know the pats have enough money to sign both

And last but not least there's this thing called "the franchise tag"

First of all. Stop me if you never heard a player staying with the team that drafted him? (Hines Ward n Larry fitz) so how can you not understand that logic when it happens in sports quite a bit.

2nd. Who said anything about the Pats offering 500k or after/if the pats are to sign Revis they would only have 500k or something really low to offer him??

And the cap is going up this coming season. So don't become shocked to know the pats have enough money to sign both

And last but not least there's this thing called "the franchise tag"

Larry Fitzgerald and Hines Ward didn't stay on their teams because of how much they loved the team they were drafted by, they got, get this, paid!! Fitzgerald in particular with a crazy long term deal. Me saying McCourty won't play for 500k because he loves New England was me illustrating this point (did you seriously take that literally?). The NFL is a job and like I said in my post, if McCourty feels he can get 2-4 million more a year from a different team, he won't stay in New England. Also the Patriots being able to afford it wasn't the problem, I'm sure they'd find a way but do they really want to tie up 30 million in cap to two positions in the secondary while they are already over the cap? Finally, yes they could tag McCourty but that money still counts against the cap and he would be getting Byrd money (probably more than they are willing to invest and more than he would get on the open market).

Larry Fitzgerald and Hines Ward didn't stay on their teams because of how much they loved the team they were drafted by, they got, get this, paid!! Fitzgerald in particular with a crazy long term deal. Me saying McCourty won't play for 500k because he loves New England was me illustrating this point (did you seriously take that literally?). The NFL is a job and like I said in my post, if McCourty feels he can get 2-4 million more a year from a different team, he won't stay in New England. Also the Patriots being able to afford it wasn't the problem, I'm sure they'd find a way but do they really want to tie up 30 million in cap to two positions in the secondary while they are already over the cap? Finally, yes they could tag McCourty but that money still counts against the cap and he would be getting Byrd money (probably more than they are willing to invest and more than he would get on the open market).

Franchise tag for his position is roughly $9 million, fully guaranteed. That is more than he'd get on the FA market, but not by much.

Ward stuck with the Steelers because nobody else wanted him. Same with Bettis or Ray Lewis. Those guys were fan favorites, legends in their city. Moving to a different city, ruining their legacy, just to get a backup job somewhere else for the vet minimum didn't make any sense, so they stayed put. I don't see how this has anything to do with Fitz. The guy still has 3+ very solid years as a #1 receiver in my opinion. He's a far greater talent than Boldin.

As for McCourty, I'd love to have him here. But you'd have to be crazy to pick him over Revis. That's just stupid. No, we're not Revis away from winning a ring. But what does that have to do with anything? We have the money, so go get the guys you have to get in order for this team to win a ring. I rather have a shutdown corner than a cover safety. Those are a dime a dozen. Well, compared to true shutdown corners anyway.

Archived