Spiller Vs. Vereen

Dennis Byrd 90

I don't know if we get either but we have been linked to Spiller and now I hear Vereen alittle.  I prefer Vereen over Spiller.  He has been healthier and I think he is a better receiver out of the backfield (how many times has he burnt us).  Plus I think we hurt New England a little and we get better and I think he'd be a million or so less than Spiller.  Just wondering others thoughts.

My issue with Vereen is he has no potential as a starting/primary tailback for any span of time, should Ivory get injured again. He's also been injured himself (injured week 1 and didn't return until week 10). Clearly Belichick doesn't think he can carry even a half-load because he keeps bringing in or trying out anyone else for the task. When there's an injury he doesn't give Vereen even one game to show if he can do it. He promotes a nobody or brings in a castoff no one else wants. It's been "anybody but Vereen starting, no matter what " in NE.

I'm not so hell-bent on only CJ Spiller, but if we lose Ivory for a month or more, you'll see firsthand why Spiller is more expensive than Vereen. If we had a need at receiver, I think Vereen's value could balance out because we could just line him up in the slot or even outside now and then. We have plenty of veteran receivers and 2 more entering season 2, so his value would purely be as a 3rd down back or a random carry here or there that could otherwise go to literally anyone else.

I'd rather bring back Powell than sign Vereen. He's a plenty good receiver and blocker to be an excellent 3rd down back, and he offers the added versatility as a spot-starter for any period of time. Not nothing when our RB has injury history and a running style that makes him a higher risk for it happening again at any time.

(Now watch Vereen sign someplace else and finish the season with 1100 rushing yards and another 500 receiving).

My issue with Vereen is he has no potential as a starting/primary tailback for any span of time, should Ivory get injured again. He's also been injured himself (injured week 1 and didn't return until week 10). Clearly Belichick doesn't think he can carry even a half-load because he keeps bringing in or trying out anyone else for the task. When there's an injury he doesn't give Vereen even one game to show if he can do it. He promotes a nobody or brings in a castoff no one else wants. It's been "anybody but Vereen starting, no matter what " in NE.

I'm not so hell-bent on only CJ Spiller, but if we lose Ivory for a month or more, you'll see firsthand why Spiller is more expensive than Vereen. 

If we had a need at receiver, I think Vereen's value could balance out because we could just line him up in the slot or even outside now and then. We have plenty of veteran receivers and 2 more entering season 2, so his value would purely be as a 3rd down back or a random carry here or there that could otherwise go to literally anyone else.

I'd rather bring back Powell than sign Vereen. He's a plenty good receiver and blocker to be an excellent 3rd down back, and he offers the added versatility as a spot-starter for any period of time. Not nothing when our RB has injury history and a running style that makes him a higher risk for it happening again at any time.

(Now watch Vereen sign someplace else and finish the season with 1100 rushing yards and another 500 receiving).

Good assessment of Vereen.

This was his first season to play all 16 games.  I think it is telling that the Patriots brought in Gray and then Blount after Ridley went down before giving Vereen the lead role.

Archived