Seems like every team but the patsies* get suspensions and fines

Jetfan13

Actually, I do believe there is reason to hope some real science may be coming. I believe the Columbia physicist will likely do the job right. Still, I hope I get a chance to see the actual report.

Didn't Bill Nye already debunk all that garbage about the atmospheric pressure causing all of the patriots balls to be deflated while the colts balls in the same vicinity had 12.5 PSI?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is that lacking any evidence other than a 55 year old man taking a piss break before having to be outside on a rainy 50 degree day and the balls do deflate.

But Please with Wilson as some sort of expert on this post facto. How come they never told the nfl that +/- .5 psi is not a spec that can ever be held  in outside game conditons played in the winter in the north over a period of 4 hours. There are examples  of 30 degree drop in field temps never mind the temp drop from inside the stadium lockerooms etc. If the pats filled the footballs up in a 72 degree lockerroom and played the game at 10 degrees the balls would have deflated about 3psi.  

Didn't Bill Nye already debunk all that garbage about the atmospheric pressure causing all of the patriots balls to be deflated while the colts balls in the same vicinity had 12.5 Bill

Bill Nye made a statement based purely on opinion, and it is of little or no value, in my judgment. Neil Degrasse Tyson also posted a tweet based on an apparently back-of-the-envelope calculation that was laughably incorrect.

Fortunately, someone whom I believe is trustworthy is doing some actual investigative work. I am looking forward to seeing it.

Didn't Bill Nye already debunk all that garbage about the atmospheric pressure causing all of the patriots balls to be deflated while the colts balls in the same vicinity had 12.5 PSI?

No he did not, he took exception to the statement that BB said that by rubbing and bouncing the balls against the walls and floor, excited the air and increased the PSI. Which while theoretically possible as your hands are 98 degrees and that increased temp would result in a PSI increase that would abate after the surface cooled down. But even if you had huge hands and you hold on to the ball with both hands  the contact area on the ball probably won't be more than 25 percent of the surface of the ball.

The NFl even allows the use of hand warmers for use by the ballboys and sideline attendants during cold games.

My point is that lacking any evidence other than a 55 year old man taking a piss break before having to be outside on a rainy 50 degree day and the balls do deflate.

But Please with Wilson as some sort of expert on this post facto. How come they never told the nfl that +/- .5 psi is not a spec that can ever be held  in outside game conditons played in the winter in the north over a period of 4 hours. There are examples  of 30 degree drop in field temps never mind the temp drop from inside the stadium lockerooms etc. If the pats filled the footballs up in a 72 degree lockerroom and played the game at 10 degrees the balls would have deflated about 3psi.  

I agree with the numerical value of your result. But again, that calculation assumes the gas in the balls would come to equilibrium with the air, which is purely speculative in the absence of any real data. Wilson may be biased, being an interested party. But then again, they may have some real test results in hand. After all, they would be more than simply embarrassed if their claims are proven wrong.

Let's wait for the test results.

Bill Nye made a statement based purely on opinion, and it is of little or no value, in my judgment. Neil Degrasse Tyson also posted a tweet based on an apparently back-of-the-envelope calculation that was laughably incorrect.

Fortunately, someone whom I believe is trustworthy is doing some actual investigative work. I am looking forward to seeing it.

You have to feel for the guy, every time for the next few years he is going to be asked if he knows what the atmospheric pressure is.

No he did not, he took exception to the statement that BB said that by rubbing and bouncing the balls against the walls and floor, excited the air and increased the PSI. Which while theoretically possible as your hands are 98 degrees and that increased temp would result in a PSI increase that would abate after the surface cooled down. But even if you had huge hands and you hold on to the ball with both hands  the contact area on the ball probably won't be more than 25 percent of the surface of the ball.

The NFl even allows the use of hand warmers for use by the ballboys and sideline attendants during cold games.

What I recall is that BB claimed the Pats' ball prep resulted in a 1 psi increase in ball pressure. I'd almost be willing to bet the farm that is BS.

You have to feel for the guy, every time for the next few years he is going to be asked if he knows what the atmospheric pressure is.

Anyone who knows how to do the calculation will probably ask him if he converted the pressures to absolute pressures. I'd even come closer to betting the farm he used gage pressures. Lesson: Don't tweet back-of-the-envelope results to millions of recipients.

I agree with the numerical value of your result. But again, that calculation assumes the gas in the balls would come to equilibrium with the air, which is purely speculative in the absence of any real data. Wilson may be biased, being an interested party. But then again, they may have some real test results in hand. After all, they would be more than simply embarrassed if their claims are proven wrong.

Let's wait for the test results.

Well I am very confident that as a result of this episode. Balls will be inflated and checked on the field at game time next year or Ill buy you a coffee at Custom House.

What I recall is that BB claimed the Pats' ball prep resulted in a 1 psi increase in ball pressure. I'd almost be willing to bet the farm that is BS.

Yeah, it was something real stupid. I remember cringing, but cut the guy some slack, he has a BA in Economics and like us he learned on a slide rule.  

Well I am very confident that as a result of this episode. Balls will be inflated and checked on the field at game time next year or Ill buy you a coffee at Custom House.

I'd go even further. I'd say ball handling and testing will be left up to the league, not the teams. And the required procedures will be spelled out in the rules.

Yeah, it was something real stupid. I remember cringing, but cut the guy some slack, he has a BA in Economics and like us he learned on a slide rule.  

Well, maybe. But again I am reminded of the Columbo show where the guilty parties provided "explanations" to the good lieutenant.

Archived