Can D'Brick be moved?

CanadaSteve

Jason Peters renegotiated his contract in 2014 with two years left on his contract, and we should fully expect the same for our good old fixture on the left side of the line.  Ferguson is due $14 million, and only $4 Million dead.  Peters' contract will be a direct contract comp for our Front Office and Ferguson's Agent.

Assuming the same parameters for Ferguson's restructured contract, the previous prorated bonus money would be $3 Million and change, the new signing bonus proration would be $1,000,000 per year, the base salary of $1,750,000, and a roster bonus of $5,000,000 would make his new 2016 cap hit roughly $11 Million.  This would save the Front Office $3 Million in 2016, allow us to draft a replacement, move on in 2018 for a relatively minimal cap hit, and $10 Million in signing bonuses for Ferguson.

Win - Win.  IMO

For those that don't think he is worth $11 Million against the cap, Who are you going to replace him with?  A rookie? An unknown player versus a proven fixture.  A free agent?  Take a look at the free agents for next year.  

Nice points , and reasonable  position.       It's so hard to find a quality left tackle , and the Jets been lucky that they drafted a guy that hasn't missed a start in his career. ( been staple mark at Left tackle for a decade- that Jet fans have become spoiled )

Is Dbrickshaw Ferguson what he once was?   Of course not, but he's still better than anything they have( a lot of teams have), and they really have no option at this point.  The mistake was not drafting a left tackle  , ( recent drafts) that they could groom to be his eventually replacement.

Either  the Jets pay his price or some other team will be.( dearth of quality left tackle that 2016 version of Ferguson is an big upgrade what they would have  been starting. There isn't a left tackle in the draft ( where the Jets are drafting) that is going to come in and not be a big downgrade to him.

The Raiders are in similar position with  their Lt Donald Penn whose a free agent.   They are going to have to pay his price for the next two years, till they can draft his replacement.    Probably only two Left tackles  in free agency (if they  even make it to free agency ), they might look to sign  over Penn ( Russell Okung - has missed a lot of games due to injuries, and Cordy glenn. ( not necessarily better options  , but much younger investments)

Again, I am not against keeping Brick.....It has been talked about on this board that he should be replaced, and I was wondering if he could be moved to a different position.

I think when you are spoiled with a HOF on your team at a position, and when their play slips a bit, especially in New York, the automatic reaction is to replace the player.

I think they will renegotiate his contract, give him more guaranteed money over 2-3 years, and they will draft his replacement in about 2-3 years.  The key is his contract has to come down more next year to make it more reasonable for the cap. 

Again, I am not against keeping Brick.....It has been talked about on this board that he should be replaced, and I was wondering if he could be moved to a different position.

I think when you are spoiled with a HOF on your team at a position, and when their play slips a bit, especially in New York, the automatic reaction is to replace the player.

I think they will renegotiate his contract, give him more guaranteed money over 2-3 years, and they will draft his replacement in about 2-3 years.  The key is his contract has to come down more next year to make it more reasonable for the cap. 

Whose going to play Lt for the Jets if not Dbrick Ferguson.    Whose this mysterious Lt that is going to be an upgrade/ play to Ferguson level , that you can move Ferguson to another position. ( you seen how hard it's been trying to get guards in the draft, and you think Lt is going to be any easier.( especially where the Jets will be drafting)

The Jets don't have anyone, and have to draft one with intention  he can replace Ferguson in a couple of years.    ( that should have been done a year ago) All they can do now is restructure his contract, give him more money up front( signing bonus) while reducing his cap hit for the year. 

The Jets have to draft a Lt now, and groom him to take over in two years.( can't wait two years to address that problem)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Brick.  He's not falling off a cliff.  He's not a liability.  He's playing as well as he ever has if you ask me.  He just doesn't have an all-pro Guard next to him, nor does he have a top notch blocking TE on his left.  The Jets are #1 in sacks allowed and #2 in QB hits allowed.  And he faces the Top pass rusher on each team every game, the RDE or ROLB.  Not to mention he is in awesome physical condition, has sh*t-tons of experience and never misses a game.  Who are we picking on next?  David Harris?  Its crazy how we bitch about players that are highly productive and highly durable when there is so much more to worry about personnel-wise.  There's a reason Brick and Mangold and Harris get lucrative contracts and remain with the team year-in and year-out.  They are rock-solid.  And that's what a team's foundation is built upon.

Not even close.  Ferguson was an ELITE pass protector from 2008-2010.  All the metrics and stats (PFF, amongst others) backs this up.  He has been on the decline since 2011.  Anyone with eyes can see this.

The reason why the Jets are #1 in sacks allowed is because of the short passing game and the fact that Fitzpatrick gets rid of the ball quickly.  Very, very quickly, in fact.  Was Ferguson worth the #4 pick?  Absolutely.  Is he a below average LT now?  Yes.  You can get the same type of LT play out of some JAG for a lot less money.

Archived