This 2015 Jets draft pick has made 'a lot of improvement,' says Pepper Johnson

Gas2No99

Called IT! For all the whiners upset over not overpaying Harrison. NGs are CHEAP & rather replaceable. Simon is the NEXT MAN UP! 

Very promising to read that we may actually start yielding utility out of these Late Round draft picks after soooo many wasteful years. 

This 2015 Jets draft pick has made 'a lot of improvement,' says Pepper Johnson

20700098-mmmain.jpg

Jets nose tackle Deon Simon does drills during training camp last summer. Simon has since switched his jersey number to No. 93. (Amanda Marzullo | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com)

By Dom Cosentino | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

One of the stated goals of the Jets' draft classes under general manager Mike Maccagnan is development.

First-round picks like Leonard Williams and Darron Lee draw a lot of attention, both before and after draft day. And in the case of Williams, who played at a high level in 2015, the progress is obvious.

For others—the latter-round picks in particular, most of whom rarely see the field—the potential is much more difficult to gauge.

Deon Simon was taken in the seventh round by the Jets in 2015, at the end of Maccagnan's first draft. A defensive tackle with the build of a nose tackle, Simon didn't play a down as a rookie.

But how's he developing?

According to defensive line coach Pepper Johnson, Simon—who turned 26 on Wednesday—is doing better than anticipated.

"He definitely made a lot of improvement [from] where he was Day 1, when he came in here," Johnson said during last month's minicamp. "That's definitely a plus. That's a guy that is also willing to learn. He's adjusting to the techniques and stuff that we're trying to teach him, and trying to coach him with. He's doing well."

Simon (6-foot-4, 332 pounds) had made the 53-man roster out of camp last summer, but he was waived a month later and re-signed to the practice squad, where he spent the remainder of the season.

Simon would seem to face an uphill battle to make the 53-man roster this time around. But it's tough to know for sure until players start hitting each other during training camp.

Steve McLendon ought to be the starter at nose tackle in the Jets' base defense, with Simon duking it out against undrafted free agent Tarow Barney and former Raider Shelby Harris, who was signed by the Jets early last month.

But Johnson—a standout ex-Giants and ex-Jets player with a long career as an NFL assistant coach—likes what he sees from Simon because of Simon's willingness to learn.

"It's easy for me with any of the guys that want to work, and that's willing to listen," Johnson said. "Those guys right there, I'm willing to coach, I'm willing to give an extra push and to work with. Some guys think they know it all? I'm not that guy."

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com.

30 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

The Jets like him.  He's very powerful and has a thick build.  Would not be surprised if he's starting next year.

From a roster \ salary cap stand point that would be great. Hopefully it happens and we are happy from a football standpoint as well.

The more I think about it the more I see the Jets being a team that can play improvisational football. The will be no set D. When they need to line up in a 4/3 they will with Lee at LB. when it is 3/4 they can use Big D if he develops as stated. This team is building a bunch of two down players up front.

Most teams will take away this or that. The 2016 NYJ just don't want to give anything. They will take it all away from the opposition. With the ST being improved from last season, Geno does not always have to play at a high level for the Jets to win. This D will be mean and nasty. Stout against the run and very difficult to pass on. A legit pass rusher emerging or drafted next season will virtually complete the picture.

Archived