Jets WR Kyle Williams overcomes hurt and hate, finds paradise in Jersey

Gas2No99

Jets WR Kyle Williams overcomes hurt and hate, finds paradise in Jersey

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=espn:17196910

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Dicks Cimini-bons from the ToasterESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Moments before the start of the New York Jets' first training camp practice, wide receiver Kyle Williams walked over to Todd Bowles and shared a few words from the heart.

"This," Williams told the coach, "is the best place to be in the world right now."

In the middle of New Jersey, sweating on a brutally hot summer day? Really?

For a player who spent 42 of the last 48 months rehabbing major injuries, who endured the worst kind of fan reaction after fumbling two punt returns in the 2011 NFC Championship Game, and whose NFL stature fell so far that he was reduced to auditioning at a college quarterback's private workout ... well, New Jersey looks and feels better than the finest beach in Hawaii or the most breathtaking mountain in the Rockies.

"After you've had all the injuries, you feel so much more grateful to be out here," Williams said after a recent practice. "You cherish it. You start to appreciate it -- literally -- every time you come out here because it could be your last time."

Williams has experienced a few last times in his career, but he keeps coming back.

In 2012, his third season with the San Francisco 49ers, he tore an ACL. A year later, with the Kansas City Chiefs, he did it again. The next year, he broke his collarbone and separated a shoulder in the preseason. In 2015, with the Denver Broncos, he ruptured an Achilles tendon on the second day of training camp.

Left knee (twice). Left shoulder. Left Achilles.

Nothing went right.

"A lot of my loved ones had to talk me off the ledge a few times," Williams said. "I was saying, 'I'm done, I'm done,' and they're like, 'You're not done.'"

Even though he needed a pep talk, Williams considers himself a resilient person. He wouldn't have made it this far if he weren't. He has spent more time in the operating room than some cast members on "Grey's Anatomy," and he's only 28 years old.

But nothing cut like the fallout from Jan. 22, 2012.

Returning punts for the 49ers, Williams suffered one of the worst days imaginable on one of the biggest stages. His two fumbles were costly, including one in overtime that set up the winning field goal for the New York Giants, who went on to win the Super Bowl.

The reaction on Twitter was ugly, including death threats to Williams. He played with a banged-up shoulder, subbing for the injured Ted Ginn Jr., but small-minded fans didn't care. They vilified Williams, who handled it remarkably well.

And still does.

"I swear, whenever I tell people about this ... I think they think I'm burying it or something," Williams said, smiling. "Everybody makes a bigger deal about it than I do. The guys in that locker room came to me genuinely and told me they supported me and backed me -- and those are the guys I worried about. They were there for me.

"That whole process taught me a whole lot and I think I grew a lot. The road back from that wasn't easy -- the stuff I had to take wasn't easy -- but I think it molded me in a way that I have to be thankful for it and grateful for it."

Williams has brought that positive attitude to training camp, hoping to capitalize on a long-shot chance that began when he received interest from the Jets in early April. He was in Chicago with his family -- his father, Ken Williams, is the executive vice president of the White Sox -- when he got the call.

He was told to fly to State College, Pennsylvania, for a tryout. As it turned out, he caught passes from Christian Hackenberg during the Penn State quarterback's clandestine, pre-draft workout for the Jets. That led to a non-roster tryout at minicamp, which led to a contract (a one-year deal with no guaranteed money). He has already made a few big plays in training camp, including a hookup with Hackenberg.

"He showed some quickness and he shows some skill, and he looked like a good guy to throw in the mix to compete with these other guys," Bowles said.

Williams' background as a punt and kickoff returner will help his chances. Making the team won't be easy, but his NFL experience (47 career receptions) will help. Teammates have noticed his playmaking ability. His goal is to make a big play every day and, of course, stay healthy.

"It's good not to be home," he said, smiling.

29 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah that was a ridiculous call.

When you put together the lucky plays that kept that Giants team on the path to a Super Bowl win its something no one could script because no one would believe it. They say you have to get a LITTLE lucky to win a championship, the Giants had a giant horseshoe shoved right up their collective azzes. It's mind boggling. They got more lucky breaks in that season than the Jets have had in their existence.

Archived