Jets QB Christian Hackenberg tries to 'hear what's going through Fitz's mind'

Gas2No99

Jets QB Christian Hackenberg tries to 'hear what's going through Fitz's mind'

rf.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=664&h=441&

3:33 PM ET

• cimini_rich_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
    Dick CiminominousESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Christian Hackenberg is the fourth quarterback on a four-man depth chart for the New York Jets, so no, he doesn't get many practice reps. He's on the sideline a lot, watching.

And listening.

When he sees Ryan Fitzpatrick walk over to chat with offensive coordinator Chan Gailey between plays, Hackenberg becomes a fly on an invisible wall, leaning in behind them and eavesdropping on their conversation.

"I'm trying to hear what's going through Fitz's mind," he said.

Welcome to Hackenberg's rookie season.

Chances are the Jets' second-round pick will be a full-time observer this season. Barring a dramatic turn of events -- we're talking injuries, benchings, etc. -- Hackenberg probably won't see the field in 2016. The current Jets regime believes in patience when it comes to developing quarterbacks, so there's no rush to put him out there. It's a wise philosophy.

There's a downside, though: With four quarterbacks on the roster -- perhaps in the regular season, too -- the third and fourth guys see very little practice time. Gailey already has acknowledged it's virtually impossible to get four quarterbacks ready to play a season.

In a way, Hackenberg's growth will be stunted by the current setup, but the Jets are thinking long term with him and second-year quarterback Bryce Petty.

"It's part of the deal," Hackenberg said. "That's why I try to get my reps after practice and while it's going on."

On Thursday, Hackenberg and Petty were the last two players on the field. They stayed for nearly 30 minutes, throwing and talking about technique and fundamentals.:D

They have a good teacher in Fitzpatrick, who is smart (see: Harvard), unselfish and an excellent communicator. If you spot Fitzpatrick on the practice field, there's a good chance Hackenberg will be close by.

"It's awesome to be able to sit there and watch Fitz operate because it's so natural for him," Hackenberg said. "I think he'll tell you it took him a while to get to that point; it's not something that happens overnight. Naturally, the competitor inside you wants to be [playing], but you have to realize this is a grown man's game. People get paid a lot of money to play it."

This is a weird situation for Hackenberg, who hasn't been a backup since his sophomore year in high school. Remember, he was a freshman starter at Penn State, enjoying his best year in college. His production slipped the next two years, but his upside intrigued the Jets. They're betting on his physical and mental traits, believing he's strong enough in those areas to overcome the accuracy issues that plagued him at Penn State.

"Christian is a sponge," Fitzpatrick said. "He's a very smart kid and I think that pops off right away. He's got a lot of work to do, and he knows it."

Hackenberg's arm strength is apparent on some throws, but he's inconsistent with shorter throws -- high, low, wobbly, etc. From all indications, football is important to him, and that's a good foundation. So he spends a lot of time listening, putting himself in Fitzpatrick's brain.

"You show me on the board, I understand it. But when you get out there, it's different," Hackenberg said. "It's real life and people are moving around fast. You have to translate it from the film room and do it in game time with a play clock.

"I like to see what Fitz does, his thought process, how he shortens it up for himself and how he executes it. If it hits my brain the right way and it makes sense, I try to use it."

VERY PROMISING young man. 

What is refreshing about that article regarding Hackenberg was that there is a humbleness to his role. The guy has been The Starting QB the majority of his career and now is suddenly relegated to the pine. He probably appreciates the notion his body will get to rest &recover from the Prison-like @$$ pounding he got behind those porous PSU O-Lines the past two years. 

The valuable lesson we've had as Jets fans from the Sanchez-Geno era is a QB needs to grow and learn the NFL game; it's not AT ALL like college football. RARELY can a rookie QB come into the NFL and succeed at a high level without material mishaps, and then sustain it consistently year after year.

I LOVE the FO's approach to let Hack sit & learn. Let him Recover his body and regiment it under a NFL diet. Hackenberg remarked how the competitor in him wants to be on the field, but he gets the bigger picture; hopefully MacCags struck gold in the 2nd with this kid. 

3 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

"Christian is a sponge," Fitzpatrick said. "He's a very smart kid and I think that pops off right away. He's got a lot of work to do, and he knows it."

Interesting back handed "compliment" from Fitz who sounds like he is already working on the next contract

Agree it is a positive sign for Hack

Archived